Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
aboriginal discrimination (Read 8221 times)
Cassy

Australian Politics

aboriginal discrimination
Jun 8th, 2012 at 1:33pm

On most of these forums people are concerned with multiculturalism and how other cultures affect Australian society and people's views.

I am wondering how many people stop and think about the injustices that have been goievn to Aboriginal Australians. Im curious to discover, how many of you knew about the Northern Territoty Intervention and did not sign the petiton ot stop it??
How many of you realise that the racial discrimination act was suspended, leaving indigenous people without human rights, yet still did nothing???
why are australians so worried about trashing other cutlures when we cant even get it right for our own indigenous people.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Re: aboriginal discrimination
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 1:38pm

Cassy wrote on Jun 8th, 2012 at 1:33pm:
why are australians so worried about trashing other cutlures when we cant even get it right for our own indigenous people.

That's a very paternalistic attitude you've got there.  Can't they look after themselves?

Also, I'm pretty sure human rights apply to all humans.  Aborigines are not exempt.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Cassy

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 1:48pm

... wrote on Jun 8th, 2012 at 1:38pm:

That's a very paternalistic attitude you've got there.  Can't they look after themselves?

Also, I'm pretty sure human rights apply to all humans.  Aborigines are not exempt.

i agree that human rights apply to all humans, which is why i am outraged that the Australian Government did not give this consideration to Aboriginal Australians, this is evident by them suspending the racial discrimination act, a decison they came up with in a matter of days.

and reffering to your narrow minded view of cant they look after themselves, thats just the thing, we havent let them look after themselves, we have interferred with the lives of Aboriginal Australians yet again, and people dont seem to do anything to try and stop it.what about self determination???

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 1:54pm

Cassy wrote on Jun 8th, 2012 at 1:48pm:
... wrote on Jun 8th, 2012 at 1:38pm:

i agree that human rights apply to all humans, which is why i am outraged that the Australian Government did not give this consideration to Aboriginal Australians, this is evident by them suspending the racial discrimination act, a decison they came up with in a matter of days.

and reffering to your narrow minded view of cant they look after themselves, thats just the thing, we havent let them look after themselves, we have interferred with the lives of Aboriginal Australians yet again, and people dont seem to do anything to try and stop it.what about self determination???

Exactly - What about self determination?  Your entire argument reolves around "we" as in white australia benevolently caring for abos, as if they were nothing more than small children.  Well, even small children need to grow up and learn to stand on their own 2 feet some time.

So who is really discriminating here?  Those who want to treat abos as they would any other human being, or those who see them as lesser beings, in need of protection and handouts from the white man?

IP Logged

Cassy

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 2:02pm

im saying quite the opposite to what you are accusing me of. ABORIGINAL people, not abos, need the opportunity for the governement to stay oput of there lives and let them live in there own culture. This has not happened since white settlement of Australia. Im not really sure where you get this idea that i want to protect them, when i am arguing for the Intervention to stop and for Aborignal people to have the same rights and freedoms as everyone else. Because the Intervention is suppose to be protecting them right??

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 2:17pm

Cassy wrote on Jun 8th, 2012 at 2:02pm:
im saying quite the opposite to what you are accusing me of. ABORIGINAL people, not abos, need the opportunity for the governement to stay oput of there lives and let them live in there own culture. This has not happened since white settlement of Australia.
Im not really sure where you get this idea that i want to protect them, when i am arguing for the Intervention to stop and for Aborignal people to have the same rights and freedoms as everyone else. Because the Intervention is suppose to be protecting them right??

When their culture conflicts with the law of the land, the law wins.  Not always necesarily a good thing, but thats just the way it is.  I can't see anyway around it besides abos starting an independent nation where they'd be free to enact their own laws.  But what have they got to bargain with?  What have they got to support and sustain a nation? 

IP Logged

Cassy

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 2:31pm

other cultures in the world can live in union with the law and other countries can leave their native people alone, alls i am saying is why cant we do the same thing. why do we let Aboriginal people live like we let other cultures live in Australian society. we are a multicultural country, yet Aboriginal people are still seen different from this, why?? why does the Governement make decisons for Aboriginals to take their rights and freedoms away without their input?

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 2:35pm

Cassy wrote on Jun 8th, 2012 at 2:31pm:
other cultures in the world can live in union with the law and other countries can leave their native people alone, alls i am saying is why cant we do the same thing. why do we let Aboriginal people live like we let other cultures live in Australian society. we are a multicultural country, yet Aboriginal people are still seen different from this, why?? why does the Governement make decisons for Aboriginals to take their rights and freedoms away without their input?

Becasue abos are not native people from other countries - they are unique culture(s), so what works for one group halway across the world, probably won't work as well here.  There is no one size fits all solution.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 2:35pm

It's a case of damned if we do and damned if we don't. If we leave them to drink themselves to death and engage in violence and sexual assault, we'll be blamed for allowing it to occur, if we go in, like we did with the intervention, we get people like you accusing us of meddling in their affairs.

We can't win.

IP Logged

Cassy

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 2:49pm

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Jun 8th, 2012 at 2:35pm:

It's a case of damned if we do and damned if we don't. If we leave them to drink themselves to death and engage in violence and sexual assault, we'll be blamed for allowing it to occur, if we go in, like we did with the intervention, we get people like you accusing us of meddling in their affairs.

We can't win.

I take your point, however did anyone stop and think to ask for Aboriginal Australians input??? so the intervention could be better tailored to their culture? So Aboriginal people could take ownership over the problem and deal with it according to their culture with the support from the government?   

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 2:58pm

Cassy wrote on Jun 8th, 2012 at 2:49pm:

We can't win.

I take your point, however did anyone stop and think to ask for Aboriginal Australians input??? so the intervention could be better tailored to their culture? So Aboriginal people could take ownership over the problem and deal with it according to their culture with the support from the government?   

Okay. What would their input consist of?

IP Logged

Cassy

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 3:27pm

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Jun 8th, 2012 at 2:58pm:
Cassy wrote on Jun 8th, 2012 at 2:49pm:
[quote author=5C7E6C6C661F0 link=1339126402/6#6 date=1339129881]

Okay. What would their input consist of?

I can imagine, i do nnot know exactly because i am not directly impacted by the Northern Territoy intervention or the suspension of the Racial Discrimination act. But i can imagin they would want input on how the intervention would be implemented, that it would be cutlurally sensitive, they would want to have a say that under the Northern Territory Intervention Aboriginal people should still have rights and freedoms, they cant even decide where they want to get their groceries from or what they want to buy. Im sure if the goivernment asked for their opinions they would agree that something should be done about the high rates of violence and sexual abuse, however it should be done in an appropriate manner and Aboriginal people should get a say on this. Dont you agree?? out yourself in their shoes

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #12 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 3:50pm

The intervention would never have come to pass had they taken responsibility for the problems within their communities.  Their inaction showed they didn't want to address the issue, so it was addressed for them.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #13 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 3:52pm

... wrote on Jun 8th, 2012 at 3:50pm:
The intervention would never have come to pass had they taken responsibility for the problems within their communities.  Their inaction showed they didn't want to address the issue, so it was addressed for them.

the state acting like a "nanny" heh

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #14 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 4:02pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jun 8th, 2012 at 3:52pm:
... wrote on Jun 8th, 2012 at 3:50pm:

the state acting like a "nanny" heh

SOB

Yep.  If white australia has to suffer under the coddling edicts of our benevolent dictators, so too can the abos.  That's equality.

Still, actual crimes were being committed in unacceptable numbers.  This wasn't just a simple case of meddling.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print