Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
aboriginal discrimination (Read 8220 times)
falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: aboriginal discrimination
Reply #30 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 9:16am

Descendents remember 1838 massacre at Myall Creek

One of the descendents of a boy who survived the Myall Creek Massacre in 1838 says today's anniversary of the slaughter of 28 Aboriginal people is what reconciliation is about.

Hundreds will attend the memorial, west of Inverell in northern New South Wales, to remember the day 174 years ago when white stockmen murdered the unarmed Wirrayaraay people.

Seven of the 12 killers were eventually hanged, making it the first time white men were tried for the murder of Indigenous Australians.

Sue Blacklock, the mother of footballer Nathan Blacklock, helped found the modern-day remembrance service in 1998 and says it was an amazing day...

...Ivan Roberts, from the Myall Creek Memorial Committee, says the slaughter was a shameful moment in Australian history but a moment that must be remembered.

"It's quite a simple, but in a way, sacred event where people from Aboriginal but also non-Indigenous backgrounds come together to acknowledge something that's happened in the past," he said.

"It's under-stated but it's very gentle and very encouraging for those committed to reconciliation."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-10/descendents-remember-1838-massacre-at-myal...

Nothing is worthy of worship except God Almighty - our Creator!

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #31 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 1:04pm

Cassy,

The problem with the last 200 years is that the Aboriginal people 'allowed' themselves to be treated like so and the aboriginal people would have known no better if not for comparisons with other cultures that were now open to them.

For 40,000+ years the Aboriginal peoples have been imprisoned by a lack of stimulation from outside influences. They stopped growing a long long time ago. Genetically they became weak as well because of a finite gene pool.
In other words - Aboriginal culture stopped 40,000 years ago. They have never 'lived' they only survived.
Now what the British or anyone else for that matter did to the Aboriginals was in no way different to what has been done to themselves or anyone else anywhere else for that matter. Read about what the Romans did to the animal-skinned Britons long ago.

Now, whats really a massacre? I would say how nearly two-thirds of the entire aboriginal population being wiped out by a simple cold and flu. Whose fault is that? The British?
Hell no. Why should one race be condemned for having a stronger immunity and weapon? How long do we have to baby the aboriginal race? A race that cries 'bitterly' and holds onto a past that isolated them and stagnated them.

My advice to a race who has a 40,000 year history - though in truth, it is only probably a few thousand years old in regards to the rest being nothing more than repetative stagnated 'survival'.
"Let go of the Past" Forget being aboriginal, forget being British, forget being anyone else but an Australian in the here and now.

If Australia becomes a Republic - it means the slate will be wiped clean and no more 'aboriginal $$$ payments, etc" Everyone is treated EQUAL and its survival of the fittest for those who wish to 'live'.

Take me for example: I don't moan about Gallipoli: I know the Turks dug deeper than our so-called mercenary 'diggers', to protect their own lands from our invasive troops. Good on them as too the Vietnamese. Just because they are from here - doesn't necessarily make their actions 'right'.
The term 'digger' is a defensive word and as of yet, only when Nippon attacked our shores have I seen our troops worthy enough to use that title - other than that, they are just invaders by default for other nations. Nothing to be proud of.

So with that said.
I think aboriginals should start celebrating and focusing on their 'future' rather than their past ...or they will be left in the past and it will be no-one's fault but their own.

Still not convinced?
Well lets just say, that the WORLD is an amazing place and even this part of the world has its part to play in the BIGGER PICTURE of it all, regardless of what the Aboriginal people might think. The world will keep turning...

An American Indian held feathers and cried "I am one with the sky spirit"
A true American built a Space Shuttle and took the world with him up into heaven.

So please, stop holding us and everyone else 'back' from ...change.
"If it ain't broke - don't fix it" many say against a Republic. But that's the problem right there - It doesn't need to be broke, to be changed and made even 'better'.

Forget the Dreamtime and wake up.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Cassy

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 8:31pm

JASIGNATURE POSTED "I think aboriginals should start celebrating and focusing on their 'future' rather than their past ...or they will be left in the past and it will be no-one's fault but their own."

i am curious as to how you think they should just forget or move on from their past when they are constantly reminded of it everyday becasue of the disadvantage they are living in?
people cant just get over things, what about all those people who have witnessed a loved one dieing, or someone being raped, or seen a tsunami wipe out a town, do you think these people can get on with the future and not have the past affect them, their lives, the decisons they make?? Aboriginal people are in the same boat as these people, they are left with post-trauatic stress disorder, mental illnesses and so on.

you say "how long do we have to baby them" and i say we dont baby them, we are trying to make up for all the injustices we have caused to a whole race of people! if you think its Aboriginal peoples fault for the way they are, for everything that is occuring in their communities why dont other people agree with you, why do you think you are in the minority? Australians have moved on from this racist view of Aboriginal poeple to accepting responsibility that we have screwed up an entire race. why are you living back in the days when people were racist and naive, when are you going to step inot the future and take responsibility?

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 10:46pm

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Jun 10th, 2012 at 1:04pm:
An American Indian held feathers and cried "I am one with the sky spirit"
A true American built a Space Shuttle and took the world with him up into heaven.

The Russians beat the American to space. Russian shuttles still fly up to the Russian space station. Do they Americans still fly up to their space station? No, because they never even had one in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Gagarin

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 8:15pm

Call for memorial for first men hanged in Melbourne

Joseph Toscano (left) and Robbie Thorpe call for a memorial for the first people to be hanged in Melbourne.

BURIED beneath the tarmac and tourist trinkets of the Queen Victoria Market lie the bones of two men, condemned as bloodthirsty outlaws and hanged in the shadow of the old Melbourne Gaol.

But unlike bushranger Ned Kelly, most Victorians have never heard of Tunnerminnerwait and Maulboyheenner, Aboriginal fighters who defied the colonial authorities and who were the first people executed in Victoria.

Now they will be remembered in a memorial at the site of their execution, on Franklin Street behind the City Baths, as part of an indigenous heritage plan being developed by the City of Melbourne.

Illustrations from the State Library archives depict Maulboyheenner (left) and Tunnerminnerwait.

For five years activist Dr Joe Toscano and a committee of supporters - including patron and Boonwurrung elder Carolyn Briggs - have been lobbying the council to commemorate the two men, saying it was important to acknowledge there was resistance to colonisation in Victoria.

''What this will do is give a focus to this city's indigenous past and present,'' Dr Toscano said. ''What could be more appropriate than recognising the ultimate sacrifice that was made by two of the men in this revolt?''

Tunnerminnerwait and Maulboyheenner were among 16 Tasmanian Aborigines who were brought to the new town of Melbourne in 1839 by the so-called Protector of Aborigines, George Robinson, as intermediaries with the Victorian Aborigines. In 1841 five of the group - two men and three women - stole two guns and waged a six-week, guerilla-style campaign in the Dandenongs and the Mornington Peninsula, burning houses and killing two sealers.

They evaded their pursuers by walking 50 kilometres a day, but were later caught and the two men found guilty of murder, despite defence lawyer Redmond Barry (who sentenced Ned Kelly to hang 40 years later) questioning the legal basis of British authority over Aborigines. A crowd of 5000 gathered to watch the execution on January 20, 1842, and the bodies were stripped of their clothes and buried in wooden coffins in the city's cemetery, now the Queen Victoria Market.

Historian and writer Tony Birch said the deaths of the two men highlighted the incapacity of the British colonial society to give regard to indigenous sovereignty. ''The deaths of these two men convey the reality that the Port Phillip district was 'settled' with violence on the part of colonial society … in commemorating their lives and death, we remember other indigenous people who have acted accordingly,'' Dr Birch said.

Dr Toscano wants the City of Melbourne to turn the site into public space and Dr Birch said any commemoration should go further than simply putting names and dates on a plaque.

Lord mayor Robert Doyle, Greens councillor Cathy Oke and ALP member councillor Jennifer Kanis - both contenders for the state seat of Melbourne - and councillor Jackie Watts all support the memorial push.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/call-for-memorial-for-first-men-hanged-in-melbourne-20120607-1zyy2.html

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #35 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 12:04am

Cassy wrote on Jun 11th, 2012 at 8:31pm:
JASIGNATURE POSTED "I think aboriginals should start celebrating and focusing on their 'future' rather than their past ...or they will be left in the past and it will be no-one's fault but their own."

i am curious as to how you think they should just forget or move on from their past when they are constantly reminded of it everyday becasue of the disadvantage they are living in?
people cant just get over things, what about all those people who have witnessed a loved one dieing, or someone being raped, or seen a tsunami wipe out a town, do you think these people can get on with the future and not have the past affect them, their lives, the decisons they make?? Aboriginal people are in the same boat as these people, they are left with post-trauatic stress disorder, mental illnesses and so on.

you say "how long do we have to baby them" and i say we dont baby them, we are trying to make up for all the injustices we have caused to a whole race of people! if you think its Aboriginal peoples fault for the way they are, for everything that is occuring in their communities why dont other people agree with you, why do you think you are in the minority? Australians have moved on from this racist view of Aboriginal poeple to accepting responsibility that we have screwed up an entire race. why are you living back in the days when people were racist and naive, when are you going to step inot the future and take responsibility?

As I stated previously, any responsibility taken by 'us' will be symbolic at best. It will have absolutely no practical effect on the ground. They need to be taught some things are wrong, and that there are consequences to actions.

But correct me if i am wrong: Show me the practical causal link between whites taking responsibility and the cessation of rapes and violence.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #36 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 10:22am

Quote:

ooh OOH pick me PICK ME!

Is it because the media and academia are fully committed to the oppressor/oppressed model and so view everything through that lens, regardless of it's relation to reality?

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 10:19am

... wrote on Jun 14th, 2012 at 10:22am:
Quote:

ooh OOH pick me PICK ME!

Is it because the media and academia are fully committed to the oppressor/oppressed model and so view everything through that lens, regardless of it's relation to reality?

Sure - the media and academia just make it up. They're not responding to reports and white papers published over the last few years about the contrasting living conditions of Aboriginals and whites, or the effect of child removals, or third world health conditions, or incarceration rates, or sexual abuse, or all the rest.

They just like writing about the oppressed/oppressor model, even though we haven't culled any blacks for years.

I've a good mind to write to Piers Ackerman and give him a piece of my mind.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #38 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 10:40am

Mattyfisk wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 10:19am:
... wrote on Jun 14th, 2012 at 10:22am:
Quote:

ooh OOH pick me PICK ME!

Sure - the media and academia just make it up. They're not responding to reports and white papers published over the last few years about the contrasting living conditions of Aboriginals and whites, or the effect of child removals, or third world health conditions, or incarceration rates, or sexual abuse, or all the rest.

They just like writing about the oppressed/oppressor model, even though we haven't culled any blacks for years.

I've a good mind to write to Piers Ackerman and give him a piece of my mind. 

Oh no, the abominable standard of living for many abos is true enough. 
Of course, theres never any mention of them even so much as contributing to their own misery, let alone causing it.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 10:43am

You mustn't have viewed much media over the last few years then, Honky. You haven't heard of Noel Pearson?

He's an Abo, by the way.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #40 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 10:47am

But.....but how could I have been brainwashed by rightwing propaganda if I haven't viewed much media?  Cos make no mistake, brainwashing is the only possible reason why one wouldn't conform with the mainstream narrative.  (?)

It just don't add up....help me karnal.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #41 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 10:58am

Cassy wrote on Jun 8th, 2012 at 2:49pm:
Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Jun 8th, 2012 at 2:35pm:
Cassy wrote on Jun 8th, 2012 at 2:31pm:
other cultures in the world can live in union with the law and other countries can leave their native people alone, alls i am saying is why cant we do the same thing. why do we let Aboriginal people live like we let other cultures live in Australian society. we are a multicultural country, yet Aboriginal people are still seen different from this, why?? why does the Governement make decisons for Aboriginals to take their rights and freedoms away without their input?

It's a case of damned if we do and damned if we don't. If we leave them to drink themselves to death and engage in violence and sexual assault, we'll be blamed for allowing it to occur, if we go in, like we did with the intervention, we get people like you accusing us of meddling in their affairs.

We can't win.

I take your point, however did anyone stop and think to ask for Aboriginal Australians input??? so the intervention could be better tailored to their culture? So Aboriginal people could take ownership over the problem and deal with it according to their culture with the support from the government?   

Not all Indigenous academics were against the intervention.

I agree with Morning Mist here - our politicians must walk this line very carefully.

PC discourse doesn't change the fact that children are abused in Indig communities at alarming rates out of step with the rest of the country. Suicide rates are higher. Spousal abuse rates are higher. Violence against women in general.

There are no easy answers and I'm not completely sure that intervention was a helpful step on the pathway to a solution, but something needed and still needs to be done to address issues of disproportionate rates of abuse and addiction and poverty in Indigenous communities. Living conditions in some areas rival those of third world countries and we should be ashamed of that as a nation.

(I haven't read page 2 and 3 yet)

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 12:52pm

I'm not against the intervention either. Many female elders have come out to support it.

The lack of consultation, however, needs to be addressed, along with the anti-descrimination exemption. Keeping people alive is more important than overriding a bit of anti-descrimination legislation, but I can't see why you can't do both.

Why not apply the same measures to people NOT living on Aboriginal communities? The problem for Aboriginals is that they see one rule applying to them, and another to non-Aboriginals. And they'd be right.

Problem is, the Commonwealth is only acting in the NT. There's no intervention in the states. From memory, it was meant to act as a sort of pilot program. It's now 5 years on, and I haven't heard about anything being rolled out in the states, despite the odd premier making encouraging noises. The cost, of course, would be huge.

What O'Farrell's anounced in NSW sounds very promising: schools as hubs for health care, welfare, early childhood education and other local issues. That's engagement.

Sending troops in might look good on the 6 o'clock news, but working WITH people on the ground is much more effective. Schools just sit there after 4pm - why not make use of them?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 1:05pm

... wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 10:47am:
But.....but how could I have been brainwashed by rightwing propaganda if I haven't viewed much media? 

Easy. Get your information from Amerika - Fox News and that Free Republic website you like - the one with all the scientific proof.

In Amerika, the blacks are called Injuns. Ours are called Abos - as you so rightly point out.

There's a few differences. For a start, ours are darker than theirs. Also, they've been here for 50,000 years. Another interesting fact: they invented a stick.

That's about all you need to know, really. Otherwise, blacks are the same wherever you go. They have lower genes and less brain cells than us, and we're more superior than them in general (N=500) - check the scientific website for an abstract.

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #44 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 1:07pm

they ban racist posts on freerepublic btw

if wesley actually posted on there he'd be banned quick smart

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print