Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vast majority of NBN customers choose high speeds (Read 1180 times)
NBNMyths
Gold Member

Vast majority of NBN customers choose high speeds
May 25th, 2012 at 12:00am

Some interesting info coming out of Senate Estimates tonight. NBN Co have revealed the percentages of customers on each speed tier of the fibre network:

12/1: 18%
25/5 or 25/10: 35%
50/20: 10%
100/40: 37%

These numbers are far in excess of the forecast in the NBN Business case. eg The takeup of 100/40 was forecast to be 8% of connections, and 12/1 was forecast to be 52%. While it was expected that "early adopters" would lift high speeds initially, it was also revealed that the percentage taking the top speed is actually increasing as time goes on, with 50% of April connections choosing 100/40.

Overall, the percentages mean that 82% of NBN customers so far have chosen speeds in excess of the speeds provided by the Coalition alternative policy (which is officially 12Mbps to 97%).

Debunking the FUD on the NBN
IP Logged

nairbe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rural NSW
Re: Vast majority of NBN customers choose high speeds
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2012 at 7:23am

Well if it is available why not. I am not happy though, i have checked the roll out and my town is not on the three year plan. I want it, and i want the high speed. Oh well, will have to wait. Can't do the whole country at once. Sad

"Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage."
Confucius

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 25th, 2012 at 9:23am

NBNMyths wrote on May 25th, 2012 at 12:00am:
Some interesting info coming out of Senate Estimates tonight. NBN Co have revealed the percentages of customers on each speed tier of the fibre network:

These numbers are far in excess of the forecast in the NBN Business case. eg The takeup of 100/40 was forecast to be 8% of connections, and 12/1 was forecast to be 52%. While it was expected that "early adopters" would lift high speeds initially, it was also revealed that the percentage taking the top speed is actually increasing as time goes on, with 50% of April connections choosing 100/40.

Overall, the percentages mean that 82% of NBN customers so far have chosen speeds in excess of the speeds provided by the Coalition alternative policy (which is officially 12Mbps to 97%).

an as usual, the interpretation of this statistic is flawed by inherent assumption. with take-up rates for the NBN being wel below expectation and frankly, an embararssment, of course the few that take it up are opting for higher speeds. The only people that can be bothered taking the NBN are doing so because it offers them something - speed. what would be a far better assessment would be including those who didnt take it up at all preferring to use the existign network. suddenly the take up of high speed is rather poor.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

NBNMyths
Gold Member

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2012 at 11:43am

longweekend58 wrote on May 25th, 2012 at 9:23am:

an as usual, the interpretation of this statistic is flawed by inherent assumption. with take-up rates for the NBN being wel below expectation and frankly, an embararssment, of course the few that take it up are opting for higher speeds. The only people that can be bothered taking the NBN are doing so because it offers them something - speed. what would be a far better assessment would be including those who didnt take it up at all preferring to use the existign network. suddenly the take up of high speed is rather poor.

I'm not sure where you get that from? The overall takeup of the NBN is far, far above expectations.
It's above the predictions in the corporate plan after this period.
It's about 20x the takeup of ADSL after a similar time period.
It's well ahead of the takeup of similar services overseas after a similar time period.

And this is despite the current barriers to connection (Such as no traditional phone service, many of the biggest/cheapest ISPs not offering services yet (eg TPG, DoDo), no multicast and no business-grade products.)

The takeup rate in Kiama is now 34% after just 6 months. That's gobsmacking. Even in Tasmania (with the lowest takeup of about 20% after 18 months), it's reached half the ADSL rate (which is just 44% after 11 years across Tasmania).

NBN Co would be absolutely chuffed at the takeup rate, and particularly at the breakup of that rate by connection speed.

And, as I mentioned before, the trend from the most recent connections is an even greater choice of the highest speeds.

IP Logged

FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2012 at 12:04pm

nairbe wrote on May 25th, 2012 at 7:23am:
Well if it is available why not. I am not happy though, i have checked the roll out and my town is not on the three year plan. I want it, and i want the high speed. Oh well, will have to wait. Can't do the whole country at once. Sad

Don't feel bad.

NBN headquarters won't have NBN till 2016.

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2012 at 5:37pm

Great News!

KEVIN RUDDS LEGACY WILL BE HAUNTING THE BLUE-BLOODED SILVER SPOONER BRIGADE FOR THE NEXT CENTURY!

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 25th, 2012 at 5:38pm

NBNMyths wrote on May 25th, 2012 at 11:43am:
longweekend58 wrote on May 25th, 2012 at 9:23am:

I'm not sure where you get that from? The overall takeup of the NBN is far, far above expectations.
It's above the predictions in the corporate plan after this period.
It's about 20x the takeup of ADSL after a similar time period.
It's well ahead of the takeup of similar services overseas after a similar time period.

And this is despite the current barriers to connection (Such as no traditional phone service, many of the biggest/cheapest ISPs not offering services yet (eg TPG, DoDo), no multicast and no business-grade products.)

The takeup rate in Kiama is now 34% after just 6 months. That's gobsmacking. Even in Tasmania (with the lowest takeup of about 20% after 18 months), it's reached half the ADSL rate (which is just 44% after 11 years across Tasmania).

NBN Co would be absolutely chuffed at the takeup rate, and particularly at the breakup of that rate by connection speed.

And, as I mentioned before, the trend from the most recent connections is an even greater choice of the highest speeds.

the last report from NBN Corp was that takeup rates were well BELOW expectations. But I could be wrong because as we've seen with Thomson, it could all bve an ASIO plot to dicredit Abbott.

Seriously tho, thet last report from NBN Corp said that the take up rates were WELL below their expectastions. I really dont care if youwant to dispute it. It was all over the media at the time.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

nairbe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rural NSW
Reply #7 - May 25th, 2012 at 5:49pm

FriYAY wrote on May 25th, 2012 at 12:04pm:
nairbe wrote on May 25th, 2012 at 7:23am:

Don't feel bad.

NBN headquarters won't have NBN till 2016.

Grin Grin Grin

You do understand that that is only cable to the house, i will have what amounts to about a 3gig wifi connection sooner as in about 12 months.

"Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage."
Confucius

IP Logged

NBNMyths
Gold Member

Reply #8 - May 25th, 2012 at 10:37pm

longweekend58 wrote on May 25th, 2012 at 5:38pm:
the last report from NBN Corp was that takeup rates were well BELOW expectations. But I could be wrong because as we've seen with Thomson, it could all bve an ASIO plot to dicredit Abbott.

Seriously tho, thet last report from NBN Corp said that the take up rates were WELL below their expectastions. I really dont care if youwant to dispute it. It was all over the media at the time.

Your confusing the takeup rate expectations with the premises passed expectations. Some rather sloppy media reporting may have caused this.

For example, one of the reports you may be talking about said something along the lines of "The NBN was supposed to have 35000 customers by June 2011, but they only had 1200".

Yes, it's true they only had 1200 at that stage. But they had only passed 18000 premises, so even with a 100% takeup rate, they could only have 18000 customers.

The NBN is certainly behind when it comes to their expectations of how much of the network would be built, and therefore how many customers would be using it. This is primarily due to the delay finalising the Telstra deal. It was supposed to be done by January 2011, but wasn't done until December 2011. So construction was stalled for almost a year.

But, all this has nothing to do with the "takeup rate". That is (by definition) the percentage of customers who have taken up a service after the network is made available to them.

On that front, the NBN is now (and always has been) well above their expectations.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #9 - May 29th, 2012 at 3:55pm

Continues analysis of the statistics would be welcomed in this thread!

I will bump if the stats are made available...  Wink Wink

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #10 - May 29th, 2012 at 4:06pm

12 Mbps! Stick that right up your jumper, I live a long way from the CBD, and I have had speeds much higher than that for the last 6 years.
Bloody backward looking liberal party luddites.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #11 - May 29th, 2012 at 4:22pm

To be fair Mozza, the Government has more of a duty to look after the majority.

The vast majority of people live in the suburban central zones of the capital cities.

If people wish to live out in the sticks, good luck to them - I know they like the outdoors, the natural habitat etc etc etc
However with that comes the isolation, the lack of services compared to what the rest of enjoy and general quality of communications compared to the civilized world (I mean that in the nicest sense, I couldn't think of a different way of putting it).

You want the rainbow, you need to put up with the rain.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #12 - May 29th, 2012 at 4:27pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on May 29th, 2012 at 4:22pm:
To be fair Mozza, the Government has more of a duty to look after the majority.

The vast majority of people live in the suburban central zones of the capital cities.

If people wish to live out in the sticks, good luck to them - I know they like the outdoors, the natural habitat etc etc etc
However with that comes the isolation, the lack of services compared to what the rest of enjoy and general quality of communications compared to the civilized world (I mean that in the nicest sense, I couldn't think of a different way of putting it).

You want the rainbow, you need to put up with the rain.

Andrei, to be fair: you're a nut from planet freak out!!

Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #13 - May 29th, 2012 at 4:53pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on May 29th, 2012 at 4:22pm:
... the Government has more of a duty to look after the majority.

MY government has a duty to look after ALL Australians
Under Andrei's agenda, capital cities should have better hospitals and schools - before inland cities have ANY hospitals and schools at ALL

The current plan is for ALL Australians to pay the SAME price for NBN access, regardless of delivery method

As most of rural Australia will connect to the NBN via wireless or satellite - as opposed to the faster and far superior optic fibre - they SHOULD be charged MUCH LESS

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print