Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
It's the AFL ... no, the NRL ... no, the Mafia ... (Read 2787 times)
Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: It's the AFL ... no, the NRL ... no, the Mafia ...
Reply #15 - May 23rd, 2012 at 7:39pm

52midnight wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 8:19am:
Well, some good news from Dr Dennis Jensen:

... those statistics of yours are nonsense. They have come from a similar email that originated in the US, regarding their Congress, and even then they were wrong.

Unfortunately, the sentiment you express is not uncommon, and the behaviours of some of my colleagues has certainly made people's opinion of politicians even lower, if that were possible.

Kind regards
Dennis

... and mine in return:

Dennis

Yes, I'm aware of that; I sent this to all FedReps and Senators with a published email address. Yours is the second reply, and I'm heartened to see you accept some responsibility for the situation. Rob Mitchell's was the first, and he got angry as soon as I refused to back down.

I'm of the opinion that our centuries-old system is no longer adequate for modern needs; on the other hand, a new system has so many problems I wouldn't know where to begin. But I suspect it must start with some sort of "Council of Elders" who are above and apart from politics. Just how one goes about establishing that is another quandry.

Kind regards

But, of course, the indignant, self-righteous school-marms (of both sexes) are a dominant faction, and insist on blaming everyone except themselves:

You have just spread an appalling lie - about me and my colleagues in this instance.

The email that you forwarded was created in 1999 - 13 years ago and was about the US Congress at the time - although it was not seen to be true then, as it is hard to imagine that someone would do all that research and not name a single person.   The original version referred to 535 members of the US House of Congress.  If you do a quick google, you will find that many of the versions about Australia still refer to the 535 members of the Australian Parliament - they are a clear copy of the US email.   You will also find the same contents, but referring to the Indian Parliament, and the British House of Commons.  These figures do not relate to Australia - they certainly don't relate to me in any way.

If you expect high standards from politicians about truth and justice and just straight out fair play, you should perhaps start expecting it of yourself.  Afterall, you are one of the people responsible for picking us and you are one of the people spreading lies.

Sometimes things are said, or spread around - in the way that you spread this email - and while people may believe it - spreading it doesn't make it true.  That is why we have a system in this country that separates the courts away from politics.  It is called the separation of powers, and why we have a presumption of innocence until proven guilty. Every other member of Parliament is entitled to that same presumption, particularly when there are people around (like you) who are prepared to believe and spread lies.  I support both of the principals and your spreading of these lies confirms my belief that people should not be tried in the court of gossip and public opinion - but in a court of law.

You are probably thinking that 'there behaviour is bad and that's why I believe this stuff' - in other words, it's politicians' fault that you believe whatever a person puts in front of you.  Well, someone else will read your email, believe it, then use the list that you told them to colour their judgment of us.  You are creating your own reality.  Congratulations.  There are decent people in the Parliament now.  But if people like you keep spreading lies about our Parlimanet, how can you expect decent people to want to be there in the future. Keep going.  Eventually you will make it true.

The only person that this emails puts into disrepute is you.  USE YOUR BRAIN!

If you receive emails like this in the future, do a quick google with a few words of the email and the word 'snopes' and you will usually find an analysis.  The more amazing or outrageous the email is, the less likely it is to be true.  Do you really think that 1 in 3 members of the Australian Parliament were arrested for drunk driving in the last year?  Do you really think that nearly half of us have been bankrupt?  Do you really think that if three members had 'done time' for assault that we wouldn't all know their names?  Do you really think that the public at large wouldn't know the names of people arrested on drugs charges. Look at the attention on Craig Thompson and he hasn't been arrested or charged with anything. If 14 were actually arrested for drugs and 7 for fraud, don't you think you'd know who they were?  Do you really think that half of us have bad credit ratings? THINK!

Julie Owens
Federal Member for Parramatta

Personally, I ceased believing anything any of them said years ago. How they can still expect any credibility at all is beyond me.

Obviously you've never heard of the phrase "quit while you're ahead". You should've quit before you started, you fool. Always check your facts before mouthing off - this kind of thing just makes you look stupid.

Scott Morrison DID wipe the floor with Bull Shitten!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

52midnight

Reply #16 - May 23rd, 2012 at 7:57pm

> Obviously you've never heard of the phrase "quit while you're ahead". You should've quit before you started, you fool. Always check your facts before mouthing off - this kind of thing just makes you look stupid.

You really shouldn't be here, you know. You're going to get your scrota(R) in a meat-grinder.

IP Logged

MOTR
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - May 23rd, 2012 at 7:59pm

Well done, Julie Owens. Thanks for taking the time.

Hunt says Coalition accepts IPCC findings

"What does this mean? It means that we need to do practical things that actually reduce emissions."

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - May 23rd, 2012 at 8:00pm

52midnight wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 7:57pm:
> Obviously you've never heard of the phrase "quit while you're ahead". You should've quit before you started, you fool. Always check your facts before mouthing off - this kind of thing just makes you look stupid.

You really shouldn't be here, you know. You're going to get your scrota(R) in a meat-grinder.

Obviously you're familiar with the feeling...

IP Logged

52midnight

Reply #19 - May 23rd, 2012 at 8:04pm

> Obviously you're familiar with the feeling...

Not personally, no; but I enjoy watching others squirm and scream ...

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - May 23rd, 2012 at 8:09pm

52midnight wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 8:04pm:
> Obviously you're familiar with the feeling...

Not personally, no; but I enjoy watching others squirm and scream ...

In that case, you must have really enjoyed Thomson's pathetic hour-long whine this week.

IP Logged

52midnight

Reply #21 - May 23rd, 2012 at 8:20pm

> In that case, you must have really enjoyed Thomson's pathetic hour-long whine this week.

I managed to miss most of it, and what I saw ensured that I won't be constipated for a few weeks, but then he's not only an Oz, but a politician.

Since you promote yourself as an expert of sorts, could I ask you how many kinds of leaders there are?

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - May 23rd, 2012 at 8:32pm

52midnight wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 8:20pm:
> In that case, you must have really enjoyed Thomson's pathetic hour-long whine this week.

I managed to miss most of it, and what I saw ensured that I won't be constipated for a few weeks, but then he's not only an Oz, but a politician.

Since you promote yourself as an expert of sorts, could I ask you how many kinds of leaders there are?

Two:

Left - don't care who they tread on to get the top job, will lie and obfuscate willingly, overlooks anything that does not work in their favour and is generally incompetent and almost always wrong.

Right - as the name suggests they are usually correct, cares about their constituents and is generally competent in what they do.

IP Logged

52midnight

Reply #23 - May 23rd, 2012 at 8:47pm

> Two: Left - don't care who they tread on to get the top job, will lie and obfuscate willingly, overlooks anything that does not work in their favour and is generally incompetent and almost always wrong.

> Right - as the name suggests they are usually correct, cares about their constituents and is generally competent in what they do.

A confident answer, to be sure, but only two dimensional. I personally prefer the n dimensional view: those who lead from in front, and those who lead from behind. In this view, Oz only gets the latter for a very good reason. In order to present that reason, I'll need to ask you to consider what might be the first, and most essential move, that a true leader must make - that is, one who leads from in front.

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - May 23rd, 2012 at 8:49pm

52midnight wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 8:47pm:
> Two: Left - don't care who they tread on to get the top job, will lie and obfuscate willingly, overlooks anything that does not work in their favour and is generally incompetent and almost always wrong.

> Right - as the name suggests they are usually correct, cares about their constituents and is generally competent in what they do.

A confident answer, to be sure, but only two dimensional. I personally prefer the n dimensional view: those who lead from in front, and those who lead from behind. In this view, Oz only gets the latter for a very good reason. In order to present that reason, I'll need to ask you to consider what might be the first, and most essential move, that a true leader must make - that is, one who leads from in front.

I just decided that my answer doesn't need explaining or defending. Take it or leave it.

IP Logged

52midnight

Reply #25 - May 23rd, 2012 at 8:53pm

> I just decided that my answer doesn't need explaining or defending. Take it or leave it.

OK, I'll leave it, and throw it open to the audience. Anyone out there know the first, and most essential step that a true leader must take?

The Simpsons has finished and Mum says I have to go to bed, so I hope you'll still be there in the morning.
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2012 at 9:09pm by 52midnight »  

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - May 23rd, 2012 at 8:55pm

52midnight wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 8:53pm:
> I just decided that my answer doesn't need explaining or defending. Take it or leave it.

OK, I'll leave it, and throw it open to the audience. Anyone out there know the first, and most essential step that a true leader must take?

Easy - don't sleep with hookers, don't use money that is not yours and don't run as an ALP candidate in a federal election after having done so.

IP Logged

GoneWest

Toowoomba
Reply #27 - May 24th, 2012 at 7:54am

Armchair_Politician wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 8:55pm:
52midnight wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 8:53pm:

Easy - don't sleep with hookers, don't use money that is not yours and don't run as an ALP candidate in a federal election after having done so.

in2 th sh** man

Illegitimi non carborudum.

IP Logged

52midnight

Reply #28 - May 25th, 2012 at 6:05am

Friends of mine have recently castigated me severely for my inappropriate use of language in the emails I sent to our esteemed MPs. One in particular, an Indian gentleman who is a scholar of the ancient Sanskrit classics, has been particularly insistent, and on reflection, I find his advice persuasive. I have always had deep respect for the wisdom of the past, no matter it's cultural roots, and am now greatly shamed.

He pointed out that Parliament was founded as a wise institution that is much like a bank, in being potentially a source of wealth, stability, and creativity, but only if one achieves the correct balance between fixed deposits and liquid assets. He added that the water closet is an institution of even greater antiquity, and being essential to civilized life, deserving of the deepest respect.

He further pointed out that the Parliament of his own country has today also become corrupt, and its citizens, with their deeper insight and more elegant use of language, have adapted to the problem most poetically. The word "toilet" is considered somewhat vulgar for use in polite speech, and polite conversation now prefers one to state that one wishes to visit parliament for a liquid asset. My own coarse use of language displayed inept grammatical skills and insulted the grand Australian tradition of the dunny.

My guilt is now so great that I am considering sending out a second series of emails with an explanation and apology to those who spend their days in the public parliaments, and that

"The House is a parliament and its Members are fixed deposits."

What should I do? I am greatly afraid that my first email may so have offended the Members' linguistic sensibilities as to render them contemptuous of me. This is now driving me to the ... to ... the Breaking Point ... and I'm afraid that I may ... might do ... do something ... precipitous. Enough is enough! Help me, please!
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2012 at 6:58am by 52midnight »  

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #29 - May 25th, 2012 at 6:50am

Armchair_Politician wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 8:32pm:
52midnight wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 8:20pm:

Two:

Left - don't care who they tread on to get the top job, will lie and obfuscate willingly, overlooks anything that does not work in their favour and is generally incompetent and almost always wrong.

Right - as the name suggests they are usually correct, cares about their constituents and is generally competent in what they do.

That is just bias there. Not an appraisal @ all. Those 2 parties are exactly the same. Even their policies are exactly the same. you are going to have to go into the fictional "party-lines" of the parties to get anywhere and those have been blurred for a long time.

Neither care about anyone but themselves. Only 1 will do anything to get in power because the other is already in power. If the roles were reversed it would prolly reverse.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print