Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Dog Whistle Journalism (Read 5980 times)
Peter Freedman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Wellington
Dog Whistle Journalism
May 15th, 2012 at 4:38pm

"Dog Whistle Politics" is the term used to describe the tactics of politicians who make seemingly innocuous remarks designed to raise anger certain sections of the voting community. The references pass most of us by, but for the voters the politician is aiming at the message is "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Sound familiar?

In their coverage of the recent budget, the Murdoch Media indulged itself in some dog whistle journalism.

Examples:

1. Constant use of the term "handout" when describing measures to help low and middle income families. The Courier Mail was a prime offender, using this emotive term over and over again, but only to describe support for low and middle income families. Other recipients of Government support received "payments" or "grants". "Handouts" apparently only go to the undeserving poor.

2. Use of the term "entitlement" as being negative, evoking the image of poor people demanding money from more well to do taxpayers. Idiot Paul Murray on Sky claimed Australia's main problem is that we have become "the entitlement society".

3. The term "class warfare", apparently based purely on a couple of silly throwaway lines by the PM about North Sydney.

The "class war" line seems to have been started by The Australian (who else?) and was quickly picked up by Sky News, which is just The Australian with moving pictures. It seems if you write for the Oz you have a special spot reserved for you on Sky.

Now it has become a mantra for the Liberal Party leaders, a move which is far more likely to divide Australians than anything Gillard could have said.

God grant me the patience to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and, above all, the wisdom to tell the difference.

IP Logged

FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Dog Whistle Journalism
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2012 at 4:43pm

Flat earther
Denier
Bogan
Nazi

The left whistles pretty well.

Or are you just whistling?

IP Logged

Peter Freedman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Wellington
Reply #2 - May 15th, 2012 at 5:04pm

You're confusing dog whistling with name calling. DW is much more subtle than that.

God grant me the patience to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and, above all, the wisdom to tell the difference.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #3 - May 15th, 2012 at 5:16pm

illegal boatpeople

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2012 at 5:21pm

My favourites are reserved for things like;
- Anti gay marriage - Instant homophobic, or religious nutjob
- Pro carbon tax - Extreme leftist
- Anti carbon tax - Extreme right

Nothing is just an opinion anymore, Ive been called extreme left, extreme right, a religious nut and a social apoligist on this site more times than I care to remember.  Being anti pre-committment on poker machines made me a man of the corporate machine and a rapist of the social fabic of community, even though I was for $1 max bets.

Its easier for those in debate to just throw a label.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2012 at 5:40pm

...let's kill foreigners, yeh: go hate propaganda!!!!

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2012 at 7:39pm

Peter Freedman wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 4:38pm:
"Dog Whistle Politics" is the term used to describe the tactics of politicians who make seemingly innocuous remarks designed to raise anger certain sections of the voting community. The references pass most of us by, but for the voters the politician is aiming at the message is "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Sound familiar?

In their coverage of the recent budget, the Murdoch Media indulged itself in some dog whistle journalism.

Examples:

1. Constant use of the term "handout" when describing measures to help low and middle income families. The Courier Mail was a prime offender, using this emotive term over and over again, but only to describe support for low and middle income families. Other recipients of Government support received "payments" or "grants". "Handouts" apparently only go to the undeserving poor.

2. Use of the term "entitlement" as being negative, evoking the image of poor people demanding money from more well to do taxpayers. Idiot Paul Murray on Sky claimed Australia's main problem is that we have become "the entitlement society".

3. The term "class warfare", apparently based purely on a couple of silly throwaway lines by the PM about North Sydney.

The "class war" line seems to have been started by The Australian (who else?) and was quickly picked up by Sky News, which is just The Australian with moving pictures. It seems if you write for the Oz you have a special spot reserved for you on Sky.

Now it has become a mantra for the Liberal Party leaders, a move which is far more likely to divide Australians than anything Gillard could have said.

Do you honestly believe that this is only applicable to the Liberals?

IP Logged

Avram Horowitz
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #7 - May 15th, 2012 at 8:35pm

I have even been called Nazi for defending my country.

IP Logged

MOTR
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 15th, 2012 at 8:41pm

Avram Horowitz wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 8:35pm:

Hitler was a patriot, what is your point?

Hunt says Coalition accepts IPCC findings

"What does this mean? It means that we need to do practical things that actually reduce emissions."

IP Logged

Peter Freedman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Wellington
Reply #9 - May 15th, 2012 at 9:34pm

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 7:39pm:
Peter Freedman wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 4:38pm:

Examples:

Do you honestly believe that this is only applicable to the Liberals?

Possibly not. But this is not just about the Liberals but also their media friends. Can you give me an example of where any other party has used this technique?

IP Logged

Swagman
Gold Member

Beware of cheap imitations......

Illawarra NSW
Reply #10 - May 15th, 2012 at 10:10pm

Peter Freedman wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 9:34pm:
Can you give me an example of where any other party has used this technique?

"Greedy, rich, xenophobic, racist, dog whistle, deniers, sceptics, uncompassionate",.......etc etc....all inflammatory political dialogue used by leftist journo wankers and politicians for the same schitt.... Sad

IP Logged

darkhall67
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 15th, 2012 at 10:19pm

Looks like some people dont understand the concept of "dog whistle".

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #12 - May 16th, 2012 at 11:06am

Swagman wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 10:10pm:
Peter Freedman wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 9:34pm:
Can you give me an example of where any other party has used this technique?

"Greedy, rich, xenophobic, racist, dog whistle, deniers, sceptics, uncompassionate",.......etc etc....all inflammatory political dialogue used by leftist journo wankers and politicians for the same schitt.... Sad

Thanks for doing me the honours. I'd also add to that list progressive, tolerance, equality, diversity, and multiculturalism.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #13 - May 16th, 2012 at 11:13am

Avram Horowitz wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 8:35pm:

I have been called "antisemite" for asking questions about israel.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - May 16th, 2012 at 11:30am

Peter Freedman wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 5:04pm:
You're confusing dog whistling with name calling. DW is much more subtle than that.

you mean because the right is so much cleverer than your beloved lefties?

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print