Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
For the Leftists: Godwin Explained. (Read 8642 times)
Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

For the Leftists: Godwin Explained.
May 10th, 2012 at 10:06am

Dear Leftists,

I know you all love claiming anyone who opposes you must have the same ideas and character of Hitler and the Nazis, but contrary to your much beloved position, this does not actually contribute to the discussion, rather the discussion is stifled due to inappropriate analogies.

Here is Mike Godwin's take on it:

Quote:
Godwin's law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies[1][2]) is an observation made by Mike Godwin in 1990[2] that has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."[2][3] In other words, Godwin observed that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably criticizes some point made in the discussion by comparing it to beliefs held by Hitler and the Nazis.

Furthermore:

Quote:
There are many corollaries to Godwin's law, some considered more canonical (by being adopted by Godwin himself)[3] than others.[1] For example, there is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever debate was in progress.[8] This principle is itself frequently referred to as Godwin's law. It is considered poor form to raise such a comparison arbitrarily with the motive of ending the thread. There is a widely recognized corollary that any such ulterior-motive invocation of Godwin's law will be unsuccessful.[9]
Godwin's law applies especially to inappropriate, inordinate, or hyperbolic comparisons of other situations (or one's opponent) with Nazis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

It would also be prudent at this point to look at Leo Strauss' term: Reductio ad Hitlerum:

Quote:
Reductio ad Hitlerum, also argumentum ad Hitlerum, (Latin for "reduction to" and "argument to" and dog Latin for "Hitler" respectively) is an ad hominem or ad misericordiam argument whereby an opponent's view is compared to a view that would be held by Adolf Hitler or the Nazi Party. It is a fallacy of irrelevance, in which a conclusion is suggested based solely on something's or someone's origin rather than its current meaning. The suggested logic is one of guilt by association ... Reductio ad Hitlerum is no more than guilt by association, a form of association fallacy.[2][3] The fallacy claims that a policy leads to—or is the same as—one advocated or implemented by Adolf Hitler or the Third Reich, and so "proves" that the original policy is undesirable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Re: For the Leftists: Godwin Explained.
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2012 at 10:17am

Blah blah blah. However I dont think i am a "leftist" and i havent used that argument in anything but the israel/palestine situation where it is a valid comparison.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2012 at 10:27am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 10th, 2012 at 10:17am:
Blah blah blah. However I dont think i am a "leftist" and i havent used that argument in anything but the israel/palestine situation where it is a valid comparison.

SOB

But it's not the same situation.
Palestinians aren't being systematically rounded up and murdered (genocide). Arabs are also allowed to be citizens of Israel, Jews were stripped of their German citizenship.

I am not going to get drawn into this because no matter how many times the differences are explained they just don't sink in.

IP Logged

bobbythefap1
Gold Member

Listen now to the rain
Reply #3 - May 10th, 2012 at 10:35am

Puppets law: 90% of the time an online conversation is had about terrorism committed by the state of Israel, or any legitimate concern of serious crimes committed by Jews, or Israel is discussed; someone will call the person raising the issue antisemitic in an attempt to end the conversation because they do not have any legitimate means of debunking such claims.

A day without sunshine is like night.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #4 - May 10th, 2012 at 10:42am

bobbythefap1 wrote on May 10th, 2012 at 10:35am:
Puppets law: 90% of the time an online conversation is had about terrorism committed by the state of Israel, or any legitimate concern of serious crimes committed by Jews, or Israel is discussed; someone will call the person raising the issue antisemitic in an attempt to end the conversation because they do not have any legitimate means of debunking such claims.

Can I keep that? Might use it as my sig later.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

lisa.greek
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Cairns QLD
Reply #5 - May 10th, 2012 at 3:07pm

And here was me thinking this was about Godwin Grech!   A liberal stooge in the APS who led the Opposition into thinking Rudd had done something wrong with a car dealer!   How embarrassing! - it was all fake!   Turnbull, Abetz and Hockey are still wiping the crap from their faces AFTER THAT ONE EXPLODED!

IP Logged

FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2012 at 3:36pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 10th, 2012 at 10:42am:

Can I keep that? Might use it as my sig later.

SOB

Oh, how surprising, you want to use the “yeah but” clause as a signature.

RAOFPMSL Grin Grin

IP Logged

GoddyofOz
Gold Member

Vote 1 for Sex, cause
you're gay if you don't

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2012 at 5:30pm

Godwins Law is not a tool for nullifying legitimate comparisons. Thank you and goodnight.

"A Conservative is a man who just sits and thinks, mostly just sits." - Woodrow Wilson.

True Patriotism is serving your country all the time, and serving your Politicians when they deserve it.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2012 at 8:05pm

but you ARE anti-semitic, therefore your argument fails. but at age15 you do belive intriinsically in the rightness of ANY opinion that you hold.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #9 - May 11th, 2012 at 3:21pm

At some point in the discussion, no matter what the topic if you are talking to a HOWARD-LOVER, he/she will bring the nasty out.

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #10 - May 11th, 2012 at 3:22pm

lisa.greek wrote on May 10th, 2012 at 3:07pm:
And here was me thinking this was about Godwin Grech!   A liberal stooge in the APS who led the Opposition into thinking Rudd had done something wrong with a car dealer!   How embarrassing! - it was all fake!   Turnbull, Abetz and Hockey are still wiping the crap from their faces AFTER THAT ONE EXPLODED!

Um, what did Hockey have to do with it?  Huh Huh

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Doctor Jolly
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 11th, 2012 at 3:57pm

There is a modern day equivalent of Godwins law.

Whenever parties of the right-wing feel they are losing the upper hand on general policy, they bring out "stop the boats", or its predecessor "children overboard".

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #12 - May 11th, 2012 at 4:32pm

Doctor Jolly wrote on May 11th, 2012 at 3:57pm:

Whenever parties of the right-wing feel they are losing the upper hand on general policy, they bring out "stop the boats", or its predecessor "children overboard".

There is a modern day equivalent of Godwins(sic) law.

Whenever parties of the left-wing feel they are losing the upper hand on general policy, they bring out "equality", or its predecessor "tolerance".

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #13 - May 11th, 2012 at 5:04pm

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on May 11th, 2012 at 4:32pm:
Doctor Jolly wrote on May 11th, 2012 at 3:57pm:

There is a modern day equivalent of Godwins(sic) law.

Whenever parties of the left-wing feel they are losing the upper hand on general policy, they bring out "equality", or its predecessor "tolerance".

Because equality and tolerance are such bad things.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #14 - May 11th, 2012 at 6:14pm

why do you always talk about the "lefties"? it always comes across as insulting, especially given that there's a lot of "lefties" who certainly don't engage in the tactics you've describved, and a sh!t load of so called "righties" who do.

didn't you hear what the "righties" did to john derbyshire lately?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print