Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Should taxpayers money pay for private education ?

Yes    
  11 (35.5%)
No    
  20 (64.5%)

Total votes: 31
« Created by: Sir lastnail on: May 7th, 2012 at 11:47am »

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 
Send Topic Print
Should taxpayer pay for private education? (Read 18378 times)
Uncle Meat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Tasmania
Re: Should taxpayer pay for private education?
Reply #285 - May 15th, 2012 at 3:31pm

Sir lastnail wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 3:04pm:
MOTR wrote on May 13th, 2012 at 8:23pm:
Can anyone suggest how we might move to an education system that involves zero public funding of private schools. It might well be the ideal outcome, but how do we get there.

Look at the publicly run Finnish schooling system. The best teachers money can buy and no wasting money on daggy uniforms which is another racket that goes on in this backward run system here !!

Yes, but the question was "how do we get there"?

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #286 - May 15th, 2012 at 3:42pm

Uncle Meat wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 3:31pm:
Can anyone suggest how we might move to an education system that involves zero public funding of private schools. It might well be the ideal outcome, but how do we get there.

Look at the publicly run Finnish schooling system. The best teachers money can buy and no wasting money on daggy uniforms which is another racket that goes on in this backward run system here !!

I am not an economist but my suggestion is to start by dropping all the funding for private schools. Let them put their fees up or whatever to pay for themselves or close. Put all that money (theres a lot) into public schools.

Uniforms arent that much of an issue imo. If there werent uniforms parents would be forking a lot more out for latest fashions and different clothes for every day etc.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #287 - May 15th, 2012 at 4:33pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 3:42pm:

I am not an economist but my suggestion is to start by dropping all the funding for private schools. Let them put their fees up or whatever to pay for themselves or close. Put all that money (theres a lot) into public schools.

Uniforms arent that much of an issue imo. If there werent uniforms parents would be forking a lot more out for latest fashions and different clothes for every day etc.

SOB

you dont need to be an economist. you only need to be able to count. Your failure is so ciomplete it is the only impressive part of your argument.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #288 - May 15th, 2012 at 5:32pm

SOB

A local private school here charges $4,400 per year for a non boarder for primary school.

It receives about $3300 per student in funding.

If you were to withdraw this funding, that would mean an increase of fees of 75%.  How many people could afford such an increase in fees for their kids primary school education.

The local public school on the other hand receives approximatley $7000 per student in funding.

It doesnt take much for the government to be paying more in the long run if you make the education unaffordable.

Not all private schools are your Melbourne and Geelong Grammars.

There is heaps of them out of the metro areas and are far from "elite".  They just tend to have better discipline and the teachers have more pressure applied to them to succeed.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #289 - May 15th, 2012 at 5:43pm

longweekend58 wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 4:33pm:

SOB

you dont need to be an economist. you only need to be able to count. Your failure is so ciomplete it is the only impressive part of your argument.

What a brilliant argument. You have convinced me. Brilliant!

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #290 - May 15th, 2012 at 5:44pm

Verge wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 5:32pm:

SOB

A local private school here charges $4,400 per year for a non boarder for primary school.

If you were to withdraw this funding, that would mean an increase of fees of 75%.  How many people could afford such an increase in fees for their kids primary school education.

The local public school on the other hand receives approximatley $7000 per student in funding.

It doesnt take much for the government to be paying more in the long run if you make the education unaffordable.

There is heaps of them out of the metro areas and are far from "elite".  They just tend to have better discipline and the teachers have more pressure applied to them to succeed.

good argument but a total waste of time. Borg is incapable of absorbing an argument. he just hates private schools and that is the beginning and end of the discussion as far as he is concerned.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #291 - May 15th, 2012 at 5:46pm

SOB

Well private schools are unaffordable for most ppl already. Makes no difference to the rich of they have to pay more. If it does they can send their kids to public schools. Pressure can be applied to teachers in public schools to succeed.

Your figures are not the same ones I saw on that education site. Where did you get them?

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #292 - May 16th, 2012 at 10:41am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 5:46pm:

SOB

Well private schools are unaffordable for most ppl already. Makes no difference to the rich of they have to pay more. If it does they can send their kids to public schools. Pressure can be applied to teachers in public schools to succeed.

Your figures are not the same ones I saw on that education site. Where did you get them?

SOB

Those figures came from our local private primary school.

The school of 1,500 kids isnt filled with rich parents.  Its filled with kids from middle class backgrounds and their parents are just doing their best to give them a head start.

You dont have to be "rich" to have your kids attend a private school, there is plenty who make big sacrifices to let their kids attend private education.

If you think its only the rich who attend private schools you are dreaming.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #293 - May 16th, 2012 at 10:49am

The problem with Borgs' eductaion site link' is that it comes fromt eh Education Union. They are well known in the media for telling HALF ths story. When the discussion of funding comes up they always come up with the sob story that the Federal government gives more money to priavet schools than public schools - which is correct. The only problem is that they ignore the HUGE amount of money that state governents put into public schools while giving nothing at al to private schools. You cannot be telling the truth if you tell only PART of the story. The facts are that government in total funds public schools about 50% more than private schools.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #294 - May 16th, 2012 at 10:53am

longweekend58 wrote on May 16th, 2012 at 10:49am:
The problem with Borgs' eductaion site link' is that it comes fromt eh Education Union. They are well known in the media for telling HALF ths story. When the discussion of funding comes up they always come up with the sob story that the Federal government gives more money to priavet schools than public schools - which is correct. The only problem is that they ignore the HUGE amount of money that state governents put into public schools while giving nothing at al to private schools. You cannot be telling the truth if you tell only PART of the story. The facts are that government in total funds public schools about 50% more than private schools.

Well in that case there is no such thing as a private school. They are all public because they all receive funding. In this case anyone should be able to send their kids there.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Dooley

OzPolitic

Reply #295 - May 16th, 2012 at 11:14am

The same pathway that is used by any government in the past to starve the public system of funding - you just harden up, make the DECISION, and let te parents get used to the idea that public schools are as good as the private ones unless you can afford it.

It wasn't so long ago that most of the religios adherents in the private school sector were straight from the nunnery and the friar patch....... they were unpaid, the kids got what the parents felt their kids needed and the private schools were unfunded. I'm not talking about a couple of hundred years ago here either, it only a matter of 20 years ago......

This is nothing short of HOWARD and HAWKES AND KEATINGS frankenstein social experiment into growing a large middle class in Ozun society. They - and most economists - believe that a truely stable society can only exist with a large and affluent middle-class. THE MIDDLE MANAGER, as it were. Unfortunately for us, most of us have no idea what a established middle-class looks or feels like as we have never really had one before. England has one. The monarchy only exists because of it. It has a class based society.  India has a class based society. Most of the centuries old civilizations have a class based society - it is the foundation upon which they exist. Religious and elite schools is how they are established. There is more to the old saying of the old boys network than we are willing to admit......

Secularism is the foundation of egalitarianism and fraternity and freedom. Anything else is a grab for power. If we aren't careful our own backyard could end up resembling Beruit with all its centuries old conflicts embedded in our society.

The trouble we have now is that most of the levels of government are controlled by the different factions of all the religious zealots from their headquarters around the world.

sept 11 crreated a schockwave through civilized society that perhaps not even laden could have imagined occurring, the distillation and cementing in peoples minds across the entire world over whether they felt mohhamedism (it's not really a cult of god, it's really a cult of muhhamid) was antangonistic toward their way of life and in a larger context whether or not they felt the need to be protected by a benevolent religious authority eg chistianity, hinduism, bhuddism or ignore the threat and declare religions have had their day because no longer is there a need for humans to live in the dark and fear the unknown or what is happening on the other side of a neighbours fence.

It is interesting to see the developing fracture in our society and as long as we continue to cater for, and actively promote the idea that to be inclusive means to put out the welcoming mat and change our lifestyle to accomodate others beliefs then we are doomed to failure as a society. The dicotomy the exists where immigrants and refugees come here because they like it here, yet when they get here all they want to do is create little enclaves where they can live EXACTLY like they have over in ttheir own little beruit/afghanistan/greece/turkey/italy/  is truly a question that needs to be answered. Once we know the answer to that question we will know how to ally the fears of these people when they get here, prevent them from returning to their hatefull fearful habits and INTEGRATE into OUR society and enjoy our culture. The intitial starting point for my money is to have them declare they hold no alliance or religious belief over or above the needs of the people and state of Oz. That way the ones who would hold their religious beliefs above the welfare of Oz could be held to be treasonous if they did and then deported. IE if a mullah declares or incites hatred amongst his followers then he is deported to his country of origin. If a person carries out any religious law, were a state law exists marriage/divorce/criminal/civil then the person is treasonous and sent back to where they came from - simple

EOR

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #296 - May 16th, 2012 at 11:26am

Dooley wrote on May 16th, 2012 at 11:14am:

The same pathway that is used by any government in the past to starve the public system of funding - you just harden up, make the DECISION, and let te parents get used to the idea that public schools are as good as the private ones unless you can afford it.

It wasn't so long ago that most of the religios adherents in the private school sector were straight from the nunnery and the friar patch....... they were unpaid, the kids got what the parents felt their kids needed and the private schools were unfunded. I'm not talking about a couple of hundred years ago here either, it only a matter of 20 years ago......

This is nothing short of HOWARD and HAWKES AND KEATINGS frankenstein social experiment into growing a large middle class in Ozun society. They - and most economists - believe that a truely stable society can only exist with a large and affluent middle-class. THE MIDDLE MANAGER, as it were. Unfortunately for us, most of us have no idea what a established middle-class looks or feels like as we have never really had one before. England has one. The monarchy only exists because of it. It has a class based society.  India has a class based society. Most of the centuries old civilizations have a class based society - it is the foundation upon which they exist. Religious and elite schools is how they are established. There is more to the old saying of the old boys network than we are willing to admit......

Secularism is the foundation of egalitarianism and fraternity and freedom. Anything else is a grab for power. If we aren't careful our own backyard could end up resembling Beruit with all its centuries old conflicts embedded in our society.

The trouble we have now is that most of the levels of government are controlled by the different factions of all the religious zealots from their headquarters around the world.

sept 11 crreated a schockwave through civilized society that perhaps not even laden could have imagined occurring, the distillation and cementing in peoples minds across the entire world over whether they felt mohhamedism (it's not really a cult of god, it's really a cult of muhhamid) was antangonistic toward their way of life and in a larger context whether or not they felt the need to be protected by a benevolent religious authority eg chistianity, hinduism, bhuddism or ignore the threat and declare religions have had their day because no longer is there a need for humans to live in the dark and fear the unknown or what is happening on the other side of a neighbours fence.

It is interesting to see the developing fracture in our society and as long as we continue to cater for, and actively promote the idea that to be inclusive means to put out the welcoming mat and change our lifestyle to accomodate others beliefs then we are doomed to failure as a society. The dicotomy the exists where immigrants and refugees come here because they like it here, yet when they get here all they want to do is create little enclaves where they can live EXACTLY like they have over in ttheir own little beruit/afghanistan/greece/turkey/italy/  is truly a question that needs to be answered. Once we know the answer to that question we will know how to ally the fears of these people when they get here, prevent them from returning to their hatefull fearful habits and INTEGRATE into OUR society and enjoy our culture. The intitial starting point for my money is to have them declare they hold no alliance or religious belief over or above the needs of the people and state of Oz. That way the ones who would hold their religious beliefs above the welfare of Oz could be held to be treasonous if they did and then deported. IE if a mullah declares or incites hatred amongst his followers then he is deported to his country of origin. If a person carries out any religious law, were a state law exists marriage/divorce/criminal/civil then the person is treasonous and sent back to where they came from - simple

EOR

there are doctors and medication that can help you...

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #297 - May 16th, 2012 at 11:43am

longweekend58 wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 5:44pm:

SOB

good argument but a total waste of time. Borg is incapable of absorbing an argument. he just hates private schools and that is the beginning and end of the discussion as far as he is concerned.

and you love scam operators such as church institutions that never pay tax on their takings and schools run by church institutions. You are so predictable when you post crap on this forum.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Dooley

OzPolitic

Reply #298 - May 16th, 2012 at 12:18pm

Rather than rely on a habit of using the quote button why not just use the "@" character? if you want to direct a comment at me directly, moron?

Your length of reply by design, demonstrably predicts your intellectual capacity - you belong in the twitterverse moron. Go back to whence you came. Twitroll.....

If you "think" otherwise spend some time in reply. If you care to bother. I'd be interested to read what you have to post, but empty cliche's, are just that - empty. Dickless wonder......  Cool Cool

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #299 - May 16th, 2012 at 4:23pm

Dooley wrote on May 16th, 2012 at 12:18pm:
Rather than rely on a habit of using the quote button why not just use the "@" character? if you want to direct a comment at me directly, moron?

Your length of reply by design, demonstrably predicts your intellectual capacity - you belong in the twitterverse moron. Go back to whence you came. Twitroll.....

If you "think" otherwise spend some time in reply. If you care to bother. I'd be interested to read what you have to post, but empty cliche's, are just that - empty. Dickless wonder......  Cool Cool

it was quicker than to say that your reply was idiotic, mainly off-topic and demonstrated some notable mential illnesses incvluding paranoia. Do you prefer that I just say that you are a mentally unbalanced paranoid moron? I can if you want.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 
Send Topic Print