Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
I Can Change Your Mind About Climate Change (Read 4218 times)
Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

I Can Change Your Mind About Climate Change
Apr 26th, 2012 at 11:30am

8.31pm - 9. 33 pm ABC1 Tonight

Quote:
Join sceptic, Nick Minchin, and believer Anna Rose, as they set out on a worldwide journey to try and change each other's minds about an issue on which Australians have never been more divided - climate change.

Followed by a special Edition of Q&A

Quote:
Rebecca Huntley - social researcher and writer
Nick Minchin - Former Liberal Minister
Anna Rose - founder of the Australian Youth Climate Coalition
Clive Palmer - mining magnate
Dr Megan Clark - Chief Executive of the CSIRO
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2012 at 11:58pm by Sir lastnail »  

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Re: I Can Change Your Mind About Climate
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 11:40am

By Marc Morano -- Climate Depot
MSNBC, perhaps the most unlikely of news sources, reports on what may be seen as the official end of the man-made global warming fear movement.

MSNBC April 23, 2012: 'Gaia' scientist James Lovelock reverses himself: I was 'alarmist' about climate change & so was Gore! 'The problem is we don't know what the climate is doing. We thought we knew 20 years ago'

Contrast Lovelock's 2012 skeptical climate views with his 2007 beliefs during the height of the man-made climate fear movement. [ Flashback 2007: Lovelock Predicts Global Warming Doom: 'Billions of us will die; few breeding pairs of people that survive will be in Arctic' ]

How fitting that a major organ of the man-made climate fear promotion, MSNBC, would deliver one of the final and most dramatic death knells to the climate movement. One of the founders of climate alarm bails out with help from the media that helped hype and propel the movement.

More MSNBC article excerpts: Lovelock pointed to Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" and Tim Flannery's "The Weather Makers" as other examples of "alarmist" forecasts of the future..."The problem is we don't know what the climate is doing. We thought we knew 20 years ago. That led to some alarmist books -- mine included -- because it looked clear-cut, but it hasn't happened," Lovelock said. "The climate is doing its usual tricks. There's nothing much really happening yet. We were supposed to be halfway toward a frying world now," he said. "The world has not warmed up very much since the millennium. Twelve years is a reasonable time... it (the temperature) has stayed almost constant, whereas it should have been rising -- carbon dioxide is rising, no question about that," he added...Asked if he was now a climate skeptic, Lovelock told msnbc.com: "It depends what you mean by a skeptic. I'm not a denier." He said human-caused carbon dioxide emissions were driving an increase in the global temperature, but added that the effect of the oceans was not well enough understood and could have a key role. "It (the sea) could make all the difference between a hot age and an ice age," he said. 'I made a mistake' As "an independent and a loner," he said he did not mind saying "All right, I made a mistake." He claimed a university or government scientist might fear an admission of a mistake would lead to the loss of funding."

Climate Depot began reporting on Lovelock's conversion away from climate fears in 2010 as he began reconsidering the alleged 'settled science." See below for Climate Depot's reporting on the evolution of James Lovelock's climate views.

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
it_is_the_light it_is_the_light Christ+Light Christ+Light  
IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 12:02pm

Finally - someone is getting it right. The Climate Scientists have been trying to stampede the World into believing the end's nigh. IT ISN'T!

In today's Blue Mountains Gazette, the Blue mountains City Council have foreshadowed substantial increases in rates, because of the Carbon Tax and the increased running costs for Council with Garbage collection etc.

This is the start of the 'DROWNING POOL' ...The one in which we will all drown financially as a result of this folly called the Carbon Tax which won't change anything except the balance of our bank accounts.

IP Logged

Uncle Meat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Tasmania
Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 12:27pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Apr 26th, 2012 at 11:30am:
8.31pm - 9. 33 pm ABC1 Tonight

Quote:
Join sceptic, Nick Minchin, and believer Anna Rose, as they set out on a worldwide journey to try and change each other's minds about an issue on which Australians have never been more divided - climate change.

Followed by a special Edition of Q&A

Quote:
Rebecca Huntley - social researcher and writer
Nick Minchin - Former Liberal Minister
Anna Rose - founder of the Australian Youth Climate Coalition
Clive Palmer - mining magnate
Dr Megan Clark - Chief Executive of the CSIRO

Excellent!  Should be good.

I'm an AGW sceptic, but always willing to analyse new information.  My mind could certainly be changed by credible, reliable data.

The AGW disciples, however, have made up their minds and nothing will ever convince them that they may be wrong.  Sad really.

« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2012 at 2:30pm by Uncle Meat »  

IP Logged

Uncle Meat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Tasmania
Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 2:34pm

red baron wrote on Apr 26th, 2012 at 12:02pm:
In today's Blue Mountains Gazette, the Blue mountains City Council have foreshadowed substantial increases in rates, because of the Carbon Tax and the increased running costs for Council with Garbage collection etc.

"Household garbage collection and tip fees will rise in July, with Blaxland tip emissions forecast to cost more than $11.3 million over 20 years due to the carbon tax."

http://www.bluemountainsgazette.com.au/news/local/news/general/fees-to-rise-as-c...

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 3:12pm

A "must see" !

buzzanddidj wrote on Apr 26th, 2012 at 10:19am:
My FAVOURITE
"Minchinisms"

Quote:
NICK MINCHIN, SENATOR, LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION IN THE SENATE:

"For 10 years the left internationally have been very successful in exploiting peoples' innate fears about global warming and climate change to achieve their political ends"

"For the
extreme left
it provides the opportunity to do what they've always wanted to do, to sort of de-industrialise the western world. You know the collapse of communism was a disaster for the left, and the, and really they embraced environmentalism as their new religion"

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2009/s2737676.htm

I'm assuming Malcolm Turnbull and World Vision CEO,the Reverend Tim Costello,
are card holder's in Nick's
"
extreme left
"
?

Also of relevance ...

Minchin's climate conspiracy

November 12, 2009

AND they say that conspiracy theories are the domain of the left ?.

Not so, if you listened to this week's Four Corners program in which the Opposition leader in the Senate, Nick Minchin, outlined his explanation of why efforts to tackle climate change had gained such momentum.

''For the extreme left, it provides the opportunity to do what they have always wanted to do, which is to sort of de-industrialise the Western world.

The collapse of communism was a disaster for the left and, really, they embraced environment as their new religion.''

Which would be funny if he didn't mean it and didn't hold such a senior leadership position in our parliament.

To a large extent, this week's Four Corners program simply laid out in detail what we already knew: that
the Liberal and National parties are home to a significant number of climate-change deniers - those who would deny that human activity is a significant contributor to climatic changes

Whether they are in the majority remains an open question, despite Minchin's bold claim that they are

The climate scepticism of the senior former Howard government minister is well known, but Minchin's comments aired this week are so inflammatory as to require a response.

There can be no more denying his denial.
Clearly his belief is deeply held.
Clearly he is at odds with his party's leadership on the matter.

It is time for him to examine seriously whether it is appropriate for him to hold the office of party leader in the Senate when he has no intention of falling into line with his party's leadership on this issue.

Having the nation's Opposition party in the Senate led by two trenchant climate-change deniers - Senator Barnaby Joyce for the Nationals and Minchin for the Liberals - is untenable.

Minchin should demonstrate the same level of honesty as Malcolm Turnbull, who has staked his leadership over the issue: back me or sack me.

Australia has more to lose than most from a changing climate. Reliant on agriculture, we already are suffering from limited water resources. And yet our cities cling to shorelines that will disappear as seawaters rise.

We should be at the forefront of efforts to tackle climate change, which the vast majority of the credible scientific world tells us is happening - and is the result of human activity.

Business leaders have also accepted the challenge and are demanding solutions and certainty to thrive.

The time for conspiracy theories, and their exponents, is over. The time for action is upon us.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/editorial/minchins-climate-conspiracy-20091111-...

The junk science behind Minchin's climate change denial

14 March 2011

ABC News reported on Friday that Senator Nick Minchin rejects a recent Australian government report about climate change, because Minchin claims the globe is more likely to be cooling than warming.

Ross Garnaut, according to Minchin, "knows nothing about the climate", because Garnaut is an economist, rather than a climate scientist. Minchin went on to cite the work of a climate scientist at the University of Alabama who says that models have generally overstated the sensitivity of climate to greenhouse gas emissions, and recent warming has likely been due to a "natural cycle". 

This unnamed scientist is almost certainly Dr. Roy Spencer, a meteorologist at the University of Alabama-Huntsville, in the United States.

In climate science, there is a clear consensus.
Two recent peer-reviewed studies have shown that 97-98% of working climate scientists think humans are significantly affecting the Earth’s climate.

So why does Senator Minchin glom onto the work of a single scientist, whose views are representative of such a tiny minority?

It turns out that Roy Spencer’s views are on the fringes for good reasons.

Spencer published a 2008 paper in which he used a simple model of the Earth’s climate to show that standard methods for estimating climate sensitivity were greatly overstating warming effects. 

It turns out that other climate scientists (including one that initially gave Spencer’s paper a favourable review) have now published a paper showing Spencer was only able to obtain this result by assuming unrealistic values for various model parameters. 
If realistic values are used, the effect Spencer described is negligible. 

Spencer has done further work in which he claims to show with his simple climate model that, not only is climate sensitivity low, but most of the global warming in the 20th century can be explained by a natural cycle he called the "Pacific Decadal Oscillation" 

Dr. Spencer tried to get this work published, but
it didn’t pass peer review.

Politicians like Senator Minchin usually want to be seen as tough-minded iconoclasts who boldly go where the evidence leads them.  In this case, however, we can clearly see that there is no compelling reason to think Roy Spencer’s work trumps that of the rest of the climate science community. 
In fact, much of his work is of demonstrably poor quality.

The sordid truth of the matter seems, instead, to be that Senator Minchin simply believed whichever expert would tell him what he wanted to hear.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/45086.html

"What Makes Nick Tick ?"

I'm damned if I know what makes ANY climate change denier "tick"
ESPECIALLY those with all the DATA and FACTS at their fingertips

But MORE importantly ...

WHAT IS THEIR AGENDA ?
i

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Uncle Meat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Tasmania
Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 3:17pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Apr 26th, 2012 at 3:12pm:
The junk science behind Minchin's climate change denial

ABC News reported on Friday that Senator Nick Minchin rejects a recent Australian government report about climate change, because Minchin claims the globe is more likely to be cooling than warming.

He doesn't deny climate change.

He says the world is more likely to be cooling.

Cooling is a change.

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 5:51pm

Why do 'deniers' have to have an agenda? Why cant they just believe that AGW is crap for not other reason than that they believe it is crap? I dont have an agenda. I just think AGW is crap because i think the 'science' is grossly over-stated and ultimately is little more than opinion based on climate models that are about as wrong as it is possible to be. temperatures have rised a few tentths of a degree and then stopped and about to go into reversal. big deal. You'd almost think it had never happened before execpt of course it has and much larger changes. This is nothing more than an example of that phenomenon whereby we finally get the abilityto measure something accurately and then we go into a orgy of self deprecation thinking we are about to all kill ourselves. The hole in the ozone layer is a the classic example. it has been there for millenia without us even being aware of it. it grows and shrinks of its own accord and yet we think we caused it to grow. and even worse, when it shrunk we told ourselves how good we were because we banned aerosols despite the fact that those changes havent even yet reached the level tha the ozone level resides at....

AGW is junk. it is crap science and even worse manipulation.  Teh loudest voices are those that knoe nothiong about it - like Flannery and Garnaut and even Gore.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

nairbe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rural NSW
Reply #8 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 6:15pm

longweekend58 wrote on Apr 26th, 2012 at 5:51pm:
Why do 'deniers' have to have an agenda? Why cant they just believe that AGW is crap for not other reason than that they believe it is crap? I dont have an agenda. I just think AGW is crap because i think the 'science' is grossly over-stated and ultimately is little more than opinion based on climate models that are about as wrong as it is possible to be. temperatures have rised a few tentths of a degree and then stopped and about to go into reversal. big deal. You'd almost think it had never happened before execpt of course it has and much larger changes. This is nothing more than an example of that phenomenon whereby we finally get the abilityto measure something accurately and then we go into a orgy of self deprecation thinking we are about to all kill ourselves. The hole in the ozone layer is a the classic example. it has been there for millenia without us even being aware of it. it grows and shrinks of its own accord and yet we think we caused it to grow. and even worse, when it shrunk we told ourselves how good we were because we banned aerosols despite the fact that those changes havent even yet reached the level tha the ozone level resides at....

AGW is junk. it is crap science and even worse manipulation.  Teh loudest voices are those that knoe nothiong about it - like Flannery and Garnaut and even Gore.

It's alright longwhine, it is a free country believe what you like. Global warming is a lefty conspiracy, Galileo is a heretic for saying the earth is round and Aids can be cured by having sex with a virgin. It's fine, there there, there there. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Wink

"Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage."
Confucius

IP Logged

Uncle Meat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Tasmania
Reply #9 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 6:23pm

nairbe wrote on Apr 26th, 2012 at 6:15pm:
It's alright longwhine, it is a free country believe what you like. Global warming is a lefty conspiracy, Galileo is a heretic for saying the earth is round and Aids can be cured by having sex with a virgin. It's fine, there there, there there. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Wink

Do you mean AGW?

You do know the difference, don't you?

IP Logged

nairbe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rural NSW
Reply #10 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 6:26pm

Uncle Meat wrote on Apr 26th, 2012 at 6:23pm:

Do you mean AGW?

OH dear we are splitting hairs, you know there is a good treatment for that i'll ask my barber for some after all he is a global warming genius, just ask him.

"Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage."
Confucius

IP Logged

Uncle Meat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Tasmania
Reply #11 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 6:37pm

nairbe wrote on Apr 26th, 2012 at 6:26pm:
Uncle Meat wrote on Apr 26th, 2012 at 6:23pm:

Do you mean AGW?

OH dear we are splitting hairs, you know there is a good treatment for that i'll ask my barber for some after all he is a global warming genius, just ask him.

Ah, no: it's not splitting hairs at all.    Roll Eyes

However, your ignorance of that fact is quite typical among the AGW disciples.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 7:54pm

longweekend58 wrote on Apr 26th, 2012 at 5:51pm:

and you and Nick Minchin know everything of course Cheesy LOL

skeptics argument goes like this:-

"AGW is false because vested interests stand to lose a lot of money from not being able to sell their polluting crap !!"

« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2012 at 11:58pm by Sir lastnail »  

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Reply #13 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 8:23pm

http://www.abc.net.au/environment/articles/2012/04/26/3489733.htm

The Q&A special later this evening is an opportunity for more of their comments to be aired on the national broadcaster.

Let me be clear: these people have a right to their views. If they choose to believe, as some do, that the majority of scientists working on climate change are part of some vast, international plot to bring about a single world government with totalitarian powers, it's their own business.

people do not need permission to research and build

a belief upon the facts and lies perpetrated by

governments and 'the science' total collusion

corporations and big business pollute and suppress

free energies

namaste

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
it_is_the_light it_is_the_light Christ+Light Christ+Light  
IP Logged

Uncle Meat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Tasmania
Reply #14 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 9:10pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Apr 26th, 2012 at 7:54pm:
skeptics argument goes like this:-

"AGW is false because vested interests stand to lose a lot of money from not being able to sell their polluting crap !!"

No, it goes like this:

"There's currently not enough credible, reliable evidence to support the AGW hypothesis.  However, this may change in the future.  We'll continue to keep an open mind on the subject."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print