Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rabbi: Rape is permitted in war (Read 5615 times)
falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rabbi: Rape is permitted in war
Apr 22nd, 2012 at 4:49pm

IDF colonel-rabbi implies: Rape is permitted in war

Answering a question from a concerned reader regarding the Torah’s position on rape during war, Colonel Eyal Qarim of the Military Rabbinate wrote nine years ago – out of uniform – that ‘prohibitions against immorality’ are removed during war.

Is it permitted for a Jewish soldier to rape a gentile woman during wartime? This question – based on the biblical mitzvah of Eshet Yefat Toar (“a comely woman”) – was referred to nine years ago (Hebrew) by Rabbi Eyal Qarim. The questioning party seemed anxious and worried, and wanted to know whether the iron-age mitzvah (religious deed) is applicable to IDF soldiers today.

UPDATE: Following comments doubting whether rape was the issue of the Rabbi’s answer, I post here the question that he was asked:

Quote:
Is it allowed in our days [sic] for an IDF soldier, for example, to rape girls during a fight, or is such a thing forbidden?

Rabbi Qarim answered thus:

Quote:
    “The wars of Israel […] are mitzvah wars, in which they differ from the rest of the wars the nations wage among themselves. Since, essentially, a war is not an individual matter, but rather nations wage war as a whole, there are cases in which the personality of the individual is “erased” for the benefit of the whole. And vice versa: sometimes you risk a large unit for the saving of an individual, when it is essential for purposes of morale. One of the important and critical values during war is maintaining the army’s fighting ability […]

As in war the prohibition against risking your life is broken for the benefit of others, so are the prohibitions against immorality and of kashrut. Wine touched by gentiles, consumption of which is prohibited in peacetime, is allowed at war, to maintain the good spirit of the warriors. Consumption of prohibited foods is permitted at war (and some say, even when kosher food is available), to maintain the fitness of the warriors, even though they are prohibited during peacetime. Just so, war removes some of the prohibitions on sexual relations (gilui arayot in the original – YZG), and even though fraternizing with a gentile woman is a very serious matter, it was permitted during wartime (under the specific terms) out of understanding for the hardship endured by the warriors. And since the success of the whole at war is our goal, the Torah permitted the individual to satisfy the evil urge (yetzer ha’ra in the original  -YZG), under the conditions mentioned, for the purpose of the success of the whole.”

http://972mag.com/idf-colonel-rabbi-implies-rape-is-permitted-in-war/39535/

Wow. Herein lies a hornet’s nest. The first is that according to Qarim, the rape of female prisoners is not just permitted, it is also essential to war; the success of the whole at war relies on it. Even Genghis Khan, who (according to tradition) said that the best thing in the world is “to crush your enemies, to see them fall at your feet — to take their horses and goods and hear the lamentation of their women. That is best” – even he, who excelled at rape, did not see it as essential to warfare, just a satisfactory outcome. Stalin, likewise, dismissed complaints about rapes carried out massively by the Red Army by saying “a soldier has urges,” but he did not see it as an essential element of military life.

Qarim came up with a new military doctrine, which replaces Napoleon’s: an army marches on its phallus. According to this logic, perhaps the IDF should appoint to each unit not just a supply officer, but also a Comely Woman Officer (CWO), to make certain no soldier is left unsatisfied.

Another problem is that Qarim invokes here the usual apologetics of those who speak of “Jewish morality”: he claims war is a conflict between nations, not individuals, and that the individual has no importance at war. The raped woman is not a woman, is not a person, has no feelings and if she feels pain it is unimportant: she is not a woman or a person, just an individual of an enemy tribe whose misfortune was to be captured. Furthermore, Qarim says that rape during wartime is immoral if carried out by a rival tribe – but all Jewish wars are, by definition, mitzvah wars. If the rape of the defenseless is part and parcel of “Jewish morality,” it’s not hard to reach the conclusion it is inferior to all modern morality systems. It is also worth noting (Hebrew) that “Jewish morality” is a by-product of German blood and iron romanticism.

Yet a third problem is that, essentially, Qarim says there is nothing which may be prohibited in war, if it is done “for the success of the whole.” We know that the killing of armed combatants is permitted (this is, after all, the essence of war), and we now learn that, for His Blessed Name, the rape of women is also permitted. Then we must ask ourselves whether it is also permitted, for the sake of victory, to also kill unarmed people. Children, for instance, who we have good reason to think may seek one day vengeance for the death of their fathers and brothers and the torturing of their mothers and sisters. The notorious book “Torat Ha’Melekh” answered in the affirmative; it would be interesting to know what Qarim thinks, and whether there is anything he thinks a Jewish soldier ought not to do for victory.

But the real problem here is that Eyal Qarim is an IDF colonel (Aluf Mishneh), and is a senior officer in the Military Rabbinate, i.e. is in a senior position in the IDF religious edicts apparatus.

http://972mag.com/idf-colonel-rabbi-implies-rape-is-permitted-in-war/39535/

Nothing is worthy of worship except God Almighty - our Creator!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Rabbi: Rape is permitted in war
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 10:06pm

You agree with him don't you Falah?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Frances
Gold Member

Australian Politics

In a Castle in the Hills
Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 11:43pm

Sounds similar to what happens to  “those whom one's right hand possesses”

Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece.

IP Logged

bobbythefap1
Gold Member

Listen now to the rain
Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 10:11am

Absolutely hilarious,
The weekly freediver thread on how Muslims rape people or whatever goes for a few pages and everyone seems to get real angry.

But now..
What’s wrong, cat got everyone’s tongue or something?

A day without sunshine is like night.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 6:49pm

I think the cat has Falah's tongue. He has to google someone one the other side of the world with equally depraved ideas in order to make his own standards less obnoxious.

Avram is our token Jew. He does not call for the legalisation of rape. Abu and Falah do. Guess what religion tells them to legalise rape?

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 7:40pm

freediver wrote on Apr 23rd, 2012 at 10:06pm:

Freediver you are a liar.

I do not agree with the Jewish battlefield rape business.

Probably you agree with him. But you are such a liar you won't admit it.

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 7:41pm

freediver wrote on Apr 24th, 2012 at 6:49pm:
I think the cat has Falah's tongue. He has to google someone one the other side of the world with equally depraved ideas in order to make his own standards less obnoxious.

Avram is our token Jew. He does not call for the legalisation of rape. Abu and Falah do. Guess what religion tells them to legalise rape?

See. You cannot stop lying Freediver. Never have I called for the legislation of rape.

Anyway it is good for everyont to see what a liar you are on your sham forum.

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 7:43pm

Frances wrote on Apr 23rd, 2012 at 11:43pm:
Sounds similar to what happens to  “those whom one's right hand possesses”

Frances, the rabbi is saying that Jews can rape  women on the battlefield.

There is nothing like this in Islam.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 8:23pm

falah wrote on Apr 24th, 2012 at 7:40pm:

Of course. Muslims treat women with dignity and drag them off the battlefield first before raping them.

Isn't that right Abu?

Glad you were here to set the record straight and prevent any deceptions.

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 8:36pm

freediver wrote on Apr 24th, 2012 at 8:23pm:
falah wrote on Apr 24th, 2012 at 7:40pm:

Of course. Muslims treat women with dignity and drag them off the battlefield first before raping them.

Isn't that right Abu?

Glad you were here to set the record straight and prevent any deceptions.

You are a liar Freediver.

It was the Christian Germans that established raped millions of women in WWII.

It was Christian Serbs that notoriously raped Bosnians in the 1990's.

It was Russians that raped 2 million German women at the end of WWII.

There is the Christian practice of prima nocta  (the Christian lords would rape peasants' brides on their wedding nights.

European vikings were known for their rape and pillage.

Recently we have Christian Americans raping in Iraq and Afghanistan.

It is obviously Europeans and Christians that are the rapists.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 8:39pm

Please quote my 'lie' Falah.

And while you are at it, tell us whether Islamic law allows Muslim soldiers (obviously not Jews) to drag women from the battlefield and rape them in a dignified manner?

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 9:07am

Freediver, why are you always diverting attention away from Jews?

This is a thread about rabbis extremists.

Lying about Muslims does not make this Jewish rape business go away.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 9:23am

OK Falah, let's stick to the Rabbi.

Can you clarify where he is wrong about where God permits you to rape the women you capture in battle?

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 12:53pm

freediver wrote on Apr 25th, 2012 at 9:23am:
OK Falah, let's stick to the Rabbi.

Can you clarify where he is wrong about where God permits you to rape the women you capture in battle?

Let me get this straight: you are asking me what is wrong with an Israeli Defence Force rabbi saying it is kosher to pick out random girls during war to use for a moment of unconsensual pleasure in order to keep up the morale of the Israeli Defence Forces?

Just to recap here, the Israeli Defence Force rabbi is saying that war make rape OK:

Quote:
Quote:
Is it allowed in our days [sic] for an IDF soldier, for example, to rape girls during a fight, or is such a thing forbidden?

Quote:
when it is essential for purposes of morale. One of the important and critical values during war is maintaining the army’s fighting ability...

...war removes some of the prohibitions on sexual relations, and even though fraternizing with a gentile woman is a very serious matter, it was permitted during wartime (under the specific terms) out of understanding for the hardship endured by the warriors. And since the success of the whole at war is our goal, the Torah permitted the individual to satisfy the evil urge, under the conditions mentioned, for the purpose of the success of the whole.”

If you condone rape in war, then I think you shouldn't be allowed to live in Australia Freediver.

A disturbing thing is that there are quite a lot of Australian Jews going off to fight in the Israeli rape army.
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2012 at 1:08pm by falah »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 2:53pm

Quote:
If you condone rape in war, then I think you shouldn't be allowed to live in Australia Freediver.

Sounds good to me. Would you include Abu in that?

Is your objection merely that they don't drag the women from the battlefield first so they can be raped in a dignified manner, or is this a fundamental opposition to rape in general?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print