Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 
Send Topic Print
Islam: a pedophile's dream? (Read 31626 times)
Soren
Gold Member

Re: Islam: a pedophile's dream?
Reply #240 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 8:55pm

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 7th, 2014 at 2:52pm:
Sorry, FD but I see no reference to slaves in that quote.

Those who were sacrificed were volunteers, no?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #241 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 9:00pm

Soren wrote on Dec 7th, 2014 at 8:55pm:

I have no idea.  What is obvious by the lack of reference to slaves, these were either prisoners (they were bound) or they were volunteers (not as unlikely as it appears, many societies advocated human sacrifice and many volunteered for the honour - see the Aztecs, the Vikings and Polynesians - three societies I know of where it occurred ). 

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #242 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 9:28pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 6th, 2014 at 9:13pm:
Soren wrote on Dec 6th, 2014 at 9:00pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 6th, 2014 at 7:41pm:
Soren wrote on Dec 5th, 2014 at 8:18pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Dec 5th, 2014 at 7:32pm:
Soren wrote on Dec 5th, 2014 at 5:12pm:
This is simply untrue. Islam and Christianity are vastly different kinds of ideas.

Rather amazing really, when you consider that Islam is built on the beliefs of Christianity and Judaism, Soren.

Bollocks.

Islam is built on a set of MISUNDERSTANDINGS of Judaism and Christianity.

It is no improvement on either Judaism or Christianity. That shows you just how gigantic a misunderstanding it is.

At its essence, Islam is purely the belief in one God.

Just like the essence of Christianity is a belief in the divinity of Jesus Christ.

Both these beliefs are prone to confusion and misinterpretation. Both are subject to zealotry and mindless dogma, but this is not the essence of the teachings.

Judaism is different. Judaism is a race of people. It is the foundation of monotheism, but it’s not one system of belief.  "God" changes his mind from.prophet to prophet.

The only essential belief in Islam is that there is no god but God, and Muhammed is his prophet. There are, however, other prophets, and for those who look, there are many ways to this one God.

Slavery, paedophilia, subjugation of women, torturing Jews for their gold, converting others by the sword, etc, etc, etc, are not universal Muslim beliefs or values.

There are plenty of misunderstandings in religion. All three of these religions are rife with misunderstanding. The books themselves document this well. If anything, the Torah, New Testament and Quran are all about misunderstanding.

These books all show how humans misunderstand God and each other.

These religions do not provide a clear path to understanding. There is no straight path. Such a journey is full of turns, obstacles and missed directions. All the books and religions do is give you a few leads to help you find your own way. 

The rest is up to you.

So then  -  how did Islam bring an improvement into the world, how did it introduce something that is better than both Judaism and Christianity?

To be frank, dear boy, I’m not sure that it did.

I tend to think that all the Sufi mystics and Persian poets and Moor philosophers, architects and designers would have found a voice in whatever religion they found themselves in.

But I’m not so sure. What do you think?

The Sufis picked up on the troubadours. Some say it was the other way around. Sufi love poetry is homoerotic, the troubadours aren't. In any case, the troubadours gave us romantic love which is not big in Islamic jurisdictions, what with arranged marriages and all that. No Dante and Beatrice in Riyadh, what?

Philosophy, architecture, design - Islam had its last dash more than half a millennia ago in these areas of human endeavour.  You can't dine out on the Moors of Spain today. Islam has given nothing to the world for centuries, other than blood and tears.

Islamic contribution to the world in the last 800 years?
Art - nothing. Science - nothing. Medicine, psychology - nothing. Literature - next to nothing. Because Islam is utterly non-dynamic, it lags in all human endeavours if it doesn't outright oppose them. It is expending all its efforts in taking the world back to the world of 7th century Araby. Which is a mug's game if ever there was one.
It is so stupendously anachronistic that I am wondering if it's not a gigantic joke. I cannot believe that literate, educated people can subscribe to it.

i

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #243 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 10:31pm

This is simply untrue. Islam and Christianity are vastly different kinds of ideas.

Rather amazing really, when you consider that Islam is built on the beliefs of Christianity and Judaism, Soren.

Bollocks.

It is no improvement on either Judaism or Christianity. That shows you just how gigantic a misunderstanding it is.

The rest is up to you.

So why the jihad?  Doesn't look like they are happy to leave 'the rest up to you', does it? They will cut your head off if you chose unwisely.

Some 'up to you', that.  Freedom go to hell, 10 rupee gimme.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #244 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 10:53pm

Soren wrote on Dec 7th, 2014 at 9:28pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 6th, 2014 at 9:13pm:
Soren wrote on Dec 6th, 2014 at 9:00pm:

Bollocks.

Just like the essence of Christianity is a belief in the divinity of Jesus Christ.

Both these beliefs are prone to confusion and misinterpretation. Both are subject to zealotry and mindless dogma, but this is not the essence of the teachings.

Judaism is different. Judaism is a race of people. It is the foundation of monotheism, but it’s not one system of belief.  "God" changes his mind from.prophet to prophet.

The only essential belief in Islam is that there is no god but God, and Muhammed is his prophet. There are, however, other prophets, and for those who look, there are many ways to this one God.

Slavery, paedophilia, subjugation of women, torturing Jews for their gold, converting others by the sword, etc, etc, etc, are not universal Muslim beliefs or values.

There are plenty of misunderstandings in religion. All three of these religions are rife with misunderstanding. The books themselves document this well. If anything, the Torah, New Testament and Quran are all about misunderstanding.

These books all show how humans misunderstand God and each other.

These religions do not provide a clear path to understanding. There is no straight path. Such a journey is full of turns, obstacles and missed directions. All the books and religions do is give you a few leads to help you find your own way. 

The rest is up to you.

So then  -  how did Islam bring an improvement into the world, how did it introduce something that is better than both Judaism and Christianity?

To be frank, dear boy, I’m not sure that it did.

I tend to think that all the Sufi mystics and Persian poets and Moor philosophers, architects and designers would have found a voice in whatever religion they found themselves in.

But I’m not so sure. What do you think?

The Sufis picked up on the troubadours. Some say it was the other way around. Sufi love poetry is homoerotic, the troubadours aren't. In any case, the troubadours gave us romantic love which is not big in Islamic jurisdictions, what with arranged marriages and all that. No Dante and Beatrice in Riyadh, what?

Philosophy, architecture, design - Islam had its last dash more than half a millennia ago in these areas of human endeavour.  You can't dine out on the Moors of Spain today. Islam has given nothing to the world for centuries, other than blood and tears.

Islamic contribution to the world in the last 800 years?
Art - nothing. Science - nothing. Medicine, psychology - nothing. Literature - next to nothing. Because Islam is utterly non-dynamic, it lags in all human endeavours if it doesn't outright oppose them. It is expending all its efforts in taking the world back to the world of 7th century Araby. Which is a mug's game if ever there was one.
It is so stupendously anachronistic that I am wondering if it's not a gigantic joke. I cannot believe that literate, educated people can subscribe to it.

Now this is what I call.spineless apologism.

Art, science, nothing.

Troubadours.

FD, this one deserves a thread of its own, peppered with your little indexes.

Anyone for homoeroticism?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #245 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 10:56pm

Soren wrote on Dec 7th, 2014 at 8:55pm:

Yes, old chap, but only to the troubadours.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 
Send Topic Print