Reply #60 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 11:14am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Apr 20th, 2012 at 10:55am:
Soren wrote on Apr 20th, 2012 at 10:45am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Apr 20th, 2012 at 9:59am:
Soren wrote on Apr 20th, 2012 at 9:49am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Apr 19th, 2012 at 8:26am:
So- segregation - a good thing?

SOB

Are you for compolete globalisation then, the aboloshing of every possible barrier between countries, regions, ethnicities?

No more land rights for gay whales, as far as you are concerened? ABsolutely no trade and cultural barriers to movements of capital, goods, services and labour?

Good on you.

Or do you really just mean it one way? Block everything western (especially American) but allow everything non-western, especially if it is not open, free and democratic (dreaded western concepts).

Yeah. Way to take me completely out of context mate. From 1 question no less. Hahahahha. DH.

I am talking (as the title of the thread implies) about australia. Within australia i dont think there should be any segregation. within other countries they can do what they want but should prolly keep their own cultures.

NOT that I was saying that with my question. My question was to get this thread back on topic and was neutral.

SOB

What is acceptable grounds for segregation of people from other countries (ie selective, discriminatory  migration policy)?

The topic is multiculturalism = the mixing of different cultures that come from elsewhere with local culture and customs.

Uhhh. Not sure of your question there. Especially since I already said I disagree with the segregation within australia.

As for the topic yeah I know what the friggin topic is i started it. I gather from the 2nd post in the thread though that multiculturalism policy is to segregate these migrants into their own little cultures not mix them in. This I am opposed to. This is the cause of all the strife between "cultures" within australia in my opinion. Mixing is fine. Keeping it separate is not.

SOB

Mixing is called integration (to merge, unify, fuse together). Separation is called multiculturalism (multi=many cultures, way of life, customs, values).

SO what is the friggin' topic, then? Do we want other cultures in this country if they don't want to integrate? No. But that means we don't want multiculturalism.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Re: Multiculturalism
Reply #61 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 11:32am

Well I wasnt sure @ the beginning when I started the topic is why i asked a question. Now I think I am opposed to multiculturalism. As for your semantics lesson you can stick it where the sun dont shine (or maybe it does).

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #62 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 11:44am

It was a lesson in etymology...

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #63 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 11:44am

There needn't be friction within multiculturalism, Spot. We need to recognise our shared traits and celebrate them while enjoying the best things other cultures have to offer. It's possible for multiculturalism to work, though there will always need to be integration as well.

It's not as black and white as cultural integration vs multiculturalism.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Avram Horowitz
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #64 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 11:52am

Several European leaders have said Multiculturalism has failed in that continent.

That is where you see the worst parts of this experiment.

Look at Paris - sometimes it is different to see how it is Paris or Beirut.

IP Logged

Frances
Gold Member

Australian Politics

In a Castle in the Hills
Reply #65 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 12:15pm

Multiculturalism is not about segregation into groups, it is about embracing our ethnic and cultural diversity.  There is nothing wrong with insisting upon a core area of common values, but enforcing conformity denies people their identity and self esteem, and threatens alienation and division.

There is no reason why we cannot celebrate our differences within a framework of shared values.  Different cultures can coexist.  We do not all have to be the same shade of grey....

Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #66 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 12:22pm

Frances wrote on Apr 20th, 2012 at 12:15pm:
Multiculturalism is not about segregation into groups, it is about embracing our ethnic and cultural diversity.  There is nothing wrong with insisting upon a core area of common values, but enforcing conformity denies people their identity and self esteem, and threatens alienation and division.

There is no reason why we cannot celebrate our differences within a framework of shared values.  Different cultures can coexist.  We do not all have to be the same shade of grey....

It is not forcing conformity to not stick them in their own little groups to live just like they did in their old home.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #67 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 12:23pm

So you've stumbled upon a major and inevitable  drawback of mulitculturalism - conflict.

That'd be OK if the benefits outweighed it...but who among you can name a benefit other than "different types of food"?

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Frances
Gold Member

Australian Politics

In a Castle in the Hills
Reply #68 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 12:28pm

... wrote on Apr 20th, 2012 at 12:23pm:
but who among you can name a benefit other than "different types of food"?

If there weren't any non-English speaking migrants I might still be single....

Wink

Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #69 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 12:40pm

Frances wrote on Apr 20th, 2012 at 12:28pm:

Wink

Ahhh but a non-multicultural society doesn't mean their is a complete absence of foreigners.  Japan is "monocultural" yet plenty of honkies live there - just not enough to artifically alter the demographics and culture of the entire country.  They like their way of life, and see it as worthy of being preserved.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #70 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 12:45pm

Frances wrote on Apr 20th, 2012 at 12:28pm:

Wink

The request was for effects other than conflicts...
Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #71 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 12:55pm

Frances wrote on Apr 20th, 2012 at 12:15pm:

What are the shared, core values of the host culture that are not sacrificed to 'diversity' and newcomers' 'self-esteem'?

Remember, these newcomers are no longer transported here against their will but come because they want to. Wanting to come here means they understandi what this place is like and what its values are. Yet many newcomers do not seem to want to acknowledge, respect and adopt the culture into which they come with their eyes open.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print