Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DAVID GALLOP...WE'RE GOING THE WAY OF AMERICA (Read 1005 times)
brumbie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

DAVID GALLOP...WE'RE GOING THE WAY OF AMERICA
Apr 14th, 2012 at 7:36am

"The Australian Rugby League Commission has just voted to ban Robert Lui for the remainder of the season"

Gee I thought we had professional people called err Judges to deal with this and that was..well...what a democratic,constitutional blah blah blah was all about.Now it seems that just a quick petition on the good old internet bypasses our tried and tested experienced judicial system,a bit like a similar case in the good ol usa atm with a young black person who was shot recently.

I ask you this:When a woman has been beaten up by her partner,how does taking his ability to put food on the table for her son and herself for the next 12 months actually help her? Haven't we just given her a "double whammy"?
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2012 at 7:48am by brumbie »  

IP Logged

Johnsmith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: DAVID GALLOP...WE'RE GOING THE WAY OF AMERICA
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 7:49am

brumbie wrote on Apr 14th, 2012 at 7:36am:
"The Australian Rugby League Commission has just voted to ban Robert Lui for the remainder of the season"

Gee I thought we had profesional people called err Judges to deal with this and that was..well...what a democratic,constitutional blah blah blah was all about.Now it seems that just a quick petition on the good old internet bypasses our tried and tested experienced judicial system,a bit like a similar case in the good ol usa atm with a young black person who was shot recently.

I ask you this:When a woman has been beaten up by her partner,how does taking his ability to put food on the table for her son and herself for the next 12 months actually help her? Haven't we just given her a "double whammy"?

well, considering he had the life that many kids dream off , maybe he can now try to feed his family the tried and tested way ... working hard the way most people do for $20 - $25 / hr, ... not to say that rugby players don't work hard at what they do  but lets face it, its a pretty good gig if you can get it ..

When politicians offer you something for nothing, or something that sounds too good to be true, it's always worth taking a careful second look.
(Malcolm Turncoat)

IP Logged

brumbie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 7:59am

I think she would prefer the original amount that was coming in.

IP Logged

Johnsmith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 8:02am

brumbie wrote on Apr 14th, 2012 at 7:59am:
I think she would prefer the original amount that was coming in.

So would I ... and I don't beat my wife ... doesn't that mean I am more deserving?

When politicians offer you something for nothing, or something that sounds too good to be true, it's always worth taking a careful second look.
(Malcolm Turncoat)

IP Logged

brumbie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 8:26am

Ah,you see you are thinking about the "aggressor" and not the "victim" in this dabacle,as so often happens nowadays.The people who deserve a reward in this situation are the son and the mother.I am not saying the aggressor should have a lighter sentence but i am saying any sentence should not have a negative effect on the victim.
How about letting him play but all wages to go into her bank account? Wink

IP Logged

Johnsmith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 8:31am

brumbie wrote on Apr 14th, 2012 at 8:26am:
Ah,you see you are thinking about the "aggressor" and not the "victim" in this dabacle,as so often happens nowadays.The people who deserve a reward in this situation are the son and the mother.I am not saying the aggressor should have a lighter sentence but i am saying any sentence should not have a negative effect on the victim.
How about letting him play but all wages to go into her bank account? Wink

nope .. disagree ... other kids will look up to him ... he doesn't deserve the attention and glory that it brings ... you may be able to garnish his wages, but what about the spin off benefits .. they're his kids, he needs to worry about them ... nothing will hurt him more than loosing a $200 000 contract .. especially since he most likely has no other talents ... although I suppose he could go the way of the hoppa .. and get into boxing,

I would rather give the contract to some one more deserving so their kids can benefit

(Malcolm Turncoat)

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 8:33am

Banning him from end of year functions would actually have fixed the problem.

All they have done is to postpone dealing with the real issue by interfering in a matter clearly outside their jurisdiction.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 9:24am

Did he sign a contract to say he wouldn't bring the game of Rugby League into disrepute?

They used this reason to fire Willy Mason and Todd Carney, so why not Robert Lui. It's a get out clause in case someone commits a major crime and gets locked up for the term of their contract. The corporate body doesn't want to pay them wages whilst they're not playing.

School teachers can't get away with it, so why should others? Cops, schoolteachers and most corporations have Codes Of Conduct.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

brumbie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 9:31am

Meanwhile,the mother and son have lost the regular income they were used to because of a petition.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 10:30am

brumbie wrote on Apr 14th, 2012 at 9:31am:
Meanwhile,the mother and son have lost the regular income they were used to because of a petition.

Can't he get another job? People lose jobs because of misconduct every day, that's why you keep your nose clean when you have a job.

You disobey the Code of Conduct, result is no job.....bad luck for all concerned. Just because he plays RL doesn't mean he's entitled to work if he misbehaves.

His wife might get smart when there's no big bucks and decide to find a life without a wife-basher husband......hopefully.

I have no respect for a woman who puts up with domestic violence for money.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 10:45am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Apr 14th, 2012 at 10:30am:
brumbie wrote on Apr 14th, 2012 at 9:31am:

Can't he get another job? People lose jobs because of misconduct every day, that's why you keep your nose clean when you have a job.

You disobey the Code of Conduct, result is no job.....bad luck for all concerned. Just because he plays RL doesn't mean he's entitled to work if he misbehaves.

His wife might get smart when there's no big bucks and decide to find a life without a wife-basher husband......hopefully.

In most jobs if you break the law in your own time it does not relate to your employment until you get imprisoned.

We have seen recent politicians in this position.

If David Gallop were to do the same thing their would be no such sanction.

There is no justifiable reason for treating these employees differently from all others.

Rugby League players have their pay rates restricted in what would in any other industry be clearly an illegal restriction of trade and they have their personal lives sanctioned by their employer as well.

No other employer could get away with these conditions.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #11 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 10:47am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Apr 14th, 2012 at 10:30am:

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

She can always get a job of her own, if money is the motivation for her staying.

But we don't really know, do we?

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #12 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 5:18pm

Robert Lui kicked his pregnant partner in the head. That piece of dogsh.t should never be allowed to put on a Rugby League jersey again. He should have been banned for life. The authorities 12 month sentence IS NOTHING!!!!!!

In my time as a cop I have seen time and time again, that when it comes court time, the wife/partner has made up with their husband and won't testify.

However we need to look at the big picture on this. If he did carry out the assault as described, which he did, then it's a life sentence.

As long as we keep giving these creeps second chances, the assaults will continue, a strong message has to be sent out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print