Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Thriller in MANILA Muhamed Ali VS Frazier (Read 3973 times)
red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Thriller in MANILA Muhamed Ali VS Frazier
Apr 11th, 2012 at 9:04am

Caught the Thriller in Manila on TV with the epic 3 fights between MUHAMED ALI and SMOKIN' JOE FRAZIER.

It was more a documentary of the times. I have the great pleasure to meet Muhammad ALI in person when I worked for Ansett Airlines. It was the time he came for the Logies and Bert Newton floored everyone at the Logies by putting on his Colonel Sanders accent and saying, "I like the boy". A gross insult to a black man.

ALI handled it with finesse and style and BERT realising he had stuffed up royally used all of his wit and personality to 'make it up' to ALI. It was a great moment in television.

The last fight, where ALI gave JOE  a shot at his title which he had won back  against George Foreman in 'The Rumble in the Jungle' in Africa.

The fight was the greatest fight I have ever seen, JOE the bruising hammer and ALI the jabbing and moving powerhouse.

The fight was stopped at the end of round 14 when Frazier's eyes were both virtually closed. A little known secret cam out in the film; it disclosed that JOE suffered an eye injury to his right eye early in his career and fought all those great fights pretty much with one good eye.

In the 14th round ALI hit Joe so heavily that his mouthguard went flying into the fifth row of the fans there.

After the fight ALI left on a stretcher but he had won the fight.

A GOLDEN CLASSIC.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Re: Thriller in MANILA Muhamed Ali VS Frazier
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 9:10am

I love boxing - it's one of those things that surprises me about myself.

I didn't know that about Bert and Muhammad Ali...what a silly thing to say to one of the greatest athletes in history.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

bobbythefap1
Gold Member

Listen now to the rain
Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 9:47am

Can’t work out if it was all a set up to make publicity or if there was actually a feud.

A day without sunshine is like night.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 10:15am

Cassius Clay was a smart, charismatic man, but was he good for the sport of boxing?

I say no, though it's beyond his control.  He basically invented "trash-talking" in what was previously a gentlemens sport.  He was very good at it, his cheeky barbs not overstepping the line but having the desired effect. Unfortunately, people who followed him and imitated his example aren't so good at it.  They lack the wit and try to compensate with thuggishness.  This has turned boxing into a farce, similar to WWF.  Can there be a championship fight where they don't have the obligatory choreographed showboating and push-and-shove at the media conference and/or weigh in these days?

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 10:28am

Muhammed Ali was convicted for refusing to fight in the US invasion of Vietnam.

He was stripped of his boxing license and titles.

This was at his peak. He was unable to box for 4 years. He sacrificed the millions of dollars from boxing, on principle.

He famously said in 1966: "I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong... They never called me "ni**er"."

"No, I am not going 10,000 miles to help murder, kill, and burn other people to simply help continue the domination of white slavemasters over dark people the world over. This is the day and age when such evil injustice must come to an end."

"Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go ten thousand miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights?"
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2012 at 10:40am by falah »  

Nothing is worthy of worship except God Almighty - our Creator!

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #5 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 10:31am

Quote:
They never called me black person."

He is a black person.

Wesley, I agree about all the pomp and ceremony surrounding fights. When they get in each others faces and try to stare each other down, I feel like smacking their heads together - just to get into the spirit of it all.

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 10:35am

Annie Anthrax wrote on Apr 11th, 2012 at 10:31am:
Quote:

He is a black person.

The moderators changed the word "black person" to "black person" for some unfathomable reason.

Don't believe everything you read on Ozpolitic.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2012 at 10:40am by falah »  

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 10:39am

falah wrote on Apr 11th, 2012 at 10:35am:
Quote:

He is a black person.

The moderators changed the word "black person" to "black person" for some unfathomable reason.

He said black person.

He isn't and wasn't PC.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #8 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 10:41am

It would have been automatic, Falah.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #9 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 10:42am

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #10 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 10:43am

Soren wrote on Apr 11th, 2012 at 10:39am:
falah wrote on Apr 11th, 2012 at 10:35am:
Quote:

He is a black person.

He said black person.

He isn't and wasn't PC.

Given the context in which he said it, he was obviously pretty anti the n.gger word.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 10:48am

boxings great, very hard to do.

frazier hurt ali bad, ali was always scared of joe

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #12 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 12:32pm

Annie - There wasn't an ounce of malice in what Bert said, it was one of those stupid off the cuff things that came out unfunny. It was a time of great social change and Bert had no idea of how something like that would be seen as an insult in America. Bert hasn't got an ounce of malice in his body. I feel sorry for him and Patty with their deeply troubled son Matthew. All the money in the world could not distance them from that misery.

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 5:18pm

red baron wrote on Apr 11th, 2012 at 12:32pm:
...Bert hasn't got an ounce of malice in his body...

Then who taught Matthew to beat the crap out of women and elderly men then?

Quote:
THE bruises have faded but three weeks after an enraged Matthew Newton allegedly attacked Rachael Taylor in Rome, she still bears the scars.

Friends said that while her physical injuries were healing, the rising Hollywood star was in therapy as she overcame the emotional toll, The Daily Telegraph reports.

"She's getting there. She's tough but now it's the psychological stuff that she is working through," a friend said.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/bashed-rachael-taylor-relies-on-friends/story-e6frfmvr-1225915095680

Quote:
RISING TV star Matthew Newton has been charged with bashing his former girlfriend, actor Brooke Satchwell, in a bitter break-up row.

Newton, the son of showbiz legends Bert and Patti Newton, spent 11 hours in custody after his arrest by two police officers, court documents reveal.

He is facing four charges, including assault occasioning actual bodily harm...

The offences allegedly occurred last year at their Rozelle, Sydney, home after Satchwell had ended their five-year relationship, a court heard.

Newton, 29, was initially refused bail by police after his arrest on October 16 because of concern over his "persistent violent offences'', according to court documents.

He had also made "several threats to the victim and her family'' during the incidents, the court heard.

Police allege the young entertainer assaulted Satchwell, 26, on September 13, between 5pm and 1am, and again on October 6, between 10.30pm and 11pm.

Newton is also charged with intimidating Satchwell with the intent of causing her physical or mental harm.

Satchwell, a former model and actor who starred in Neighbours, Water Rats and White Collar Blue, broke up with Newton in a split friends describe as "traumatic"...

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/newton-junior-on-assault-charge/story-e6frg12c-1111112826521

Quote:
THREE weeks ago Matthew Newton proudly declared: "I'm the strongest and most focused I've ever felt in my life."

But an alleged attack on a taxi driver may be the final nail in his acting career, The Daily Telegraph reported.

Legal experts said the off-the-rails star is now facing a "prolonged period of court-ordered hospitalisation" after being charged with two counts of assault on a 66-year-old cabbie.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/matthew-newton-charged-for-allegedly-assaulting-a-sydney-taxi-driver/story-e6frfmqi-1226222404880

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #14 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 5:24pm

Could've been Patti.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print