Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Warning on climate change (Read 8110 times)
Doctor Jolly
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Warning on climate change
Reply #45 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 3:48pm

Im glad you saw that too muso.  I started reading the article, and couldnt match it with progressives stance in any way shape or form.

Perhaps he hoped no one would bother reading it.
Grin

IP Logged

progressiveslol
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 4:36pm

The paper has shown extreme climate events all through history (within their timeframe analysed) regardless of man and they manage to use the tree ring data right up to 2007 unlike mann who had to chop his BS data off at 1960 in order to make it fit his agenda.

IP Logged

Doctor Jolly
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 4:45pm

Progs.  Every non-denier knows the earth has had climate change before.  We have heard of ice-ages and raised sea levels.   We all know they were caused by dramatic events or extremely slow evolution.  The dramatic ones nearly wiped out all life.   We are having one now. We are the cause. We can stop it.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #48 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 9:32am

progressiveslol wrote on Apr 11th, 2012 at 4:36pm:
The paper has shown extreme climate events all through history (within their timeframe analysed) regardless of man and they manage to use the tree ring data right up to 2007 unlike mann who had to chop his BS data off at 1960 in order to make it fit his agenda.

In a word, "jaded" beyond belief. It's the old Holocaust denial argument reframed for climate change. If you want to play anything down, just use the Holocaust denial argument /deconstruction.

"Six million jews died? People have been dying throughout history. It's no different"

X- event happened/ is happening? That's nothing unusual. X-events have happened throughout history.   

It's a logical fallacy that takes the position that if two similar events occurred, they must be due to the same cause, even if there is strong evidence to the contrary. It's also a very lazy form of argument that requires no actual thought.

Where's that yawn smiley when you need one? ...
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2012 at 9:44am by muso »  

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #49 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 2:50pm

ICEBERG APPROACHING ICEBERG APPROACHING!!!

...WAIT, MAKE THAT
APPROACHING ICEBERG APPROACHING ICEBERG!!

Roll Eyes

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #50 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 2:52pm

progressiveslol wrote on Apr 11th, 2012 at 4:36pm:

rates-of-change!!

Lol, that nazi-tryhard fella doesn't even bother trying to deny it anymore!!!

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #51 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 2:55pm

progressiveslol wrote on Apr 11th, 2012 at 10:44am:
A new paper on climate extemes going all the way back to whenever. Nothing different from today.

Combined dendro-documentary evidence of Central European hydroclimatic
springtime extremes over the last millennium

http://www.wsl.ch/fe/landschaftsdynamik/dendroclimatology/Publikationen/Buentgen...

rates of change !!!

sorry  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

rates of change !!!

rates of change !!!

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #52 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 3:09pm

Everyone seems to think "who caused it" matters. Who cares? We still have to try to do something about it. I dont see what good a carbon tax is though if they cut the funding to clean energy projects @ the same time.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #53 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 3:42pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Apr 12th, 2012 at 3:09pm:
Everyone seems to think "who caused it" matters. Who cares? We still have to try to do something about it. I dont see what good a carbon tax is though if they cut the funding to clean energy projects @ the same time.

SOB

Economies are complex systems!

There is no free-market as they are, by definition of being legal, regulated.

The regulations of what is allowed in the market place have to be changed and this is what the carbon price is doing.

The more intervention you have in the market place the harder it is to change things: exactly the reason it has proved so hard to get rid of carbon emitting industry.

Tricky business!! LIKE PLAYING JENGA!!!!

IP Logged

Doctor Jolly
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 3:52pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Apr 12th, 2012 at 3:09pm:

SOB

Thats the whole point of a carbon tax / price.  It makes clean energy project viable in the private sector, taking them out of the hands of corrupt politicians.

Government can still provide seed funding though, and will with the revenue from the carbon tax.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #55 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 6:30pm

Considering that there has always been climate change - can someone tell me what current climate change trends are NOT due to human activity? And I mean long-term trends (for a century or two) that we can measure, identify, predict, not just guess at.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #56 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 9:15pm

Soren wrote on Apr 12th, 2012 at 6:30pm:
Considering that there has always been climate change - can someone tell me what current climate change trends are NOT due to human activity? And I mean long-term trends (for a century or two) that we can measure, identify, predict, not just guess at.

How many times have you asked that question?

Anyway - here you go- enjoy:
http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar4/wg1/ar4-wg1-chapter9.pdf

If there is anything you don't follow, just ask.  In a nutshell, the natural trends are still there. They have just been swamped by anthropogenic trends recently.

There is no guessing involved. All parameters can either be directly measured for the space age at least, and before that, they could be measured using proxies - less precision perhaps but still measured.

Look at it like VHS movies and today's HD movies. The ones of today are more precise. The VHS ones are less precise.  It doesn't mean that you can't get useful information out of them though.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2012 at 9:33pm by muso »  

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #57 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 9:40pm

Anything by anyone who is not a government or intergovernmental agency? Have you got anything not IPCC?

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #58 - Apr 13th, 2012 at 7:55am

Soren wrote on Apr 12th, 2012 at 9:40pm:
Anything by anyone who is not a government or intergovernmental agency? Have you got anything not IPCC?

Well, you'd have to ask the question as to who would fund research in climatology. A great deal of  research of this nature is funded by governments because it's of national and international significance.   Maybe I'm reading this wrongly, but are you implying that anything that is government funded is somehow untrustworthy? (and I presume that you'd include the Icelandic government or the Danish government). The question arises - if you studied philosophy at a public university (hypothetically speaking), how could you believe anything they told you?  Is there one version of information that's "world government" sponsored and an entirely separate body of privately sponsored academia that is diametrically opposed to this?

Large Insurance companies have a considerable interest in long term climate trends.  I understand that a lot of the studies relating to the frequency of catastrophic events come from insurance companies as opposed to government agencies.

The chart below was provided by CGU Insurance Ltd, a division of Insurance Australia Group, as part of its submission to a federal parliamentary committee investigating skyrocketing residential strata title insurance in northern Australia.

By the way, many of the researchers who contribute to the IPCC reports don't actually work for  governments or government organisations.  Although public universities tend to dominate because of their numbers, many private universities, such as Bond University in Australia are also involved in climate research.

IP Logged

progressiveslol
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Apr 13th, 2012 at 8:20am

USA must be on a different planet as this study suggest no catastrophic climate change impact on weather events thus far. It even suggests
This study's analysis of floods in this particular area, as well as other analyses related to mean runoff conditions in the same area, are very much at odds with the climate change impact assessment reported by the IPCC.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02626667.2011.621895

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print