Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Meat of the week thread (Read 16074 times)
Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Meat of the week thread
Feb 15th, 2012 at 7:52pm

Sheep meat.

Lamb — a young sheep under 12 months of age which does not have any permanent incisor teeth in wear

Hogget — a sheep of either sex having no more than two permanent incisors in wear

Mutton — a female (ewe) or castrated male (wether) sheep having more than two permanent incisors in wear.

When was the last time you bought hoggett? I hate buying lamb. When I cook a roast I want to be able to feed up 8-10 people comfortably. And I prefer the taste of older sheep. Slow cooked in chardonnay there's no difference in tenderness. I wish hoggett or mutton was more available in shops.

I'm still a big fan of mint with sheep. People really have it in for the English but mint sauce is great.

I cook the sheep in rosemary and garlic. I don't make a seperate mint sauce these days. I make a good gravy and include mint, plenty of pepper and some balsamic vinegar. Oh the last time I brushed pomegranate molasses over the roast after searing it and that gave all the tartness to the gravy it needed.

"It is in the shelter of each other that the people live" - Irish Proverb

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Re: Meat of the week thread
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2012 at 9:38pm

That looks delicious, Grey. I'm pretty sure the only sheep meat I've tasted has been lamb - I'd never even heard of hogget.

How do you make that gravy and what else do you do to your lamb roast to prep it?

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Frances
Gold Member

Australian Politics

In a Castle in the Hills
Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2012 at 11:06pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Feb 15th, 2012 at 9:38pm:
I'm pretty sure the only sheep meat I've tasted has been lamb - I'd never even heard of hogget.

I've heard of hogget, but I've never eaten any nor, come to that, do I think I've ever seen it in a shop.

I've never really liked lamb much, probably thanks to my mother, who loves it and obviously felt that I had to like it too.  We had a leg of lamb almost every Sunday and I got it in my sandwiches for school for the next two days.  The way she cooked it it was a bit rubbery which, together with the smell, which I've never really liked, sort of turned me off the idea of eating sheep meat of any sort.

Mind you, I did accidentally eat a lamb pie a few months ago and quite enjoyed it.  It was at the Palace Pantry at Petersham.  I ordered a chicken pie but they got the order mixed up.  I wasn't sure what was in it (it was obvious it wasn't chicken) but it tasted good, so I decided to eat it all anyway.  Turned out it was lamb cooked in wine with rosemary (and something else that I can't remember now).

Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece.

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 1:52am

That looks delicious, Grey. I'm pretty sure the only sheep meat I've tasted has been lamb - I'd never even heard of hogget.

How do you make that gravy and what else do you do to your lamb roast to prep it?

Well first off I sear the outside to brown with black bits in cast iron frying pan or sometimes I use the wok. I get the pan very hot add just a spot of oil and brown the outside as quickly as possible. Then I push in a sharp knife on an angle about 5cm's and push garlic cloves and a sprig of rosemary in those pockets. I roast in a large enameled cast iron roasting pot with a lid. A roasting dish covered with al-foil is just as good. I put in around 3-4 onions quartered and half a bottle of wine. I prefer chardonnay but I used to use red. Chardonnay gives a lighter colour to the gravy Smiley

I cook that on the lowest possible oven setting for around five hours. I fill the pot with veggies for the last hour though the roast potatoes I do separately. Start the roast top side down and turn after 31/2-4 hours. Have a look during the last hour and maybe turn the oven high for the last 15-20 to get a bit of colour. depending how much liquid there is and how much you want.

When cooked put the meat on a carving board to rest and put the vegi into a warmed serving bowl. Pour off the liquid into a jar or saucepan and take the fat off with a spoon as much as possible. Put some of the fat into a frying pan and cook some flour in it take it off the gas and add some liquid and stir until the flour's dissolved. then add the rest and cook until it thickens. season it with pepper and chopped fine mint leaves (Grans true mint - not spear-pepper or any other weird mint) and some balsamic vinegar. (or wine vinegar or pommegrante molasses whatever
Smiley 

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 1:55am

I very much like goat done the same way. it's a bit beefier in taste but more like sheep than beef.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 9:55am

Before I became a vego, I had goat in Africa. It was barbecued with shallots, French style. It was in the ex French Colony of Guinea, and it was at a motel in a small town called Kouroussa, roughly 700km from the coast. We bought a goat at the local market for the barbecue. It was a little black and white goat. The locals took care of despatching it. 

The bit I had was like spare ribs. It would probably make me throw up now, but at the time I enjoyed it.

I became a vegetarian mainly to cut down on saturated fats - and weight. I don't have a problem with eating meat from a moral point of view. The smell just makes me feel sick because it has been so long.

Did you know that the word "butcher" came from the French word "Boucherie", which is derived from "bouc" the french name for a young male goat?

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Frances
Gold Member

Australian Politics

In a Castle in the Hills
Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 10:30am

I was vegetarian for about 15 years or so, although I continued to eat eggs and dairy products.  I'm not sure exactly what started it, but I was reading quite a lot about Eastern religions and philosophy at the time (in particular, Buddhism and Hinduism) and I was also quite concerned and interested in animal welfare.  I found that I didn't really miss eating any animal products except, strangely enough, bacon.

Then, about four years ago, I went to Scotland for a holiday and stayed for three weeks in a town that had a working harbour, in a flat about five minutes away from where the boats unloaded their catches.  At about 4pm every afternoon, that whole part of town would fill with the smell of fish being smoked.  And I was staying across the road from a very popular fish and chip shop (so popular that the queues for service at a certain time of the day spilled out on to the footpath.  I ate quite a lot of fish in the last week or so of that holiday.

It must have weakened my resolve to be vegetarian because, after I returned to Australia, I started eating the occasional item of meat, starting with bacon. 

There are some types of meat that I have completely lost my taste for and won't eat, but now it's just because I don't like them.

Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 11:35am

Arbroath?  I also have Scottish connections (ancestry)

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 11:58am

I was a vegatarian for about 15 years as well, except for dairy'n'eggs. For me it was a moral decision. For me also bacon was difficult, good bacon is delicious Grin
But I resisted it by using those bacon flavoured soya chip thinggies.

'Logic' (?) drove me back. For a start my more vegan buddies started developing ulcers from the lackof B and I was conscious of the fact that you had to have a meat industry to have a dairy'n'egg industry, (or just shoot and bury all the males). Then there was the issue of meat going to waste at BBQ's . That didn't seem very respectful of life. So I made the rule that meat was okay on social/feast days. Then i just capitulated completely.

I think being vegatarian makes you a better cook. But a meatless ragu is a sorry thing  Grin

IP Logged

Frances
Gold Member

Australian Politics

In a Castle in the Hills
Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 12:20pm

muso wrote on Feb 16th, 2012 at 11:35am:
Arbroath?

Yes, my father was Scottish (with a bit of Welsh thrown in a few generations earlier).  I picked Arbroath mainly because it is a good base for touring round about Tayside and Fife both by public transport and by car (I rented a car for a week to see the Angus glens and parts of Fife).  Plus I have a few (distant admittedly) relations in the area.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 1:32pm

I've been eating turkey lately. Either mince or in sausages. Very low in fat, clean taste, meatier than chicken.
makes great patties.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

bobbythefap1
Gold Member

Listen now to the rain
Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 2:15pm

Meat of the day:
Kangaroo!
Easily the tastiest red meat.

A day without sunshine is like night.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #12 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 12:57pm

Grey wrote on Feb 16th, 2012 at 1:52am:

Well first off I sear the outside to brown with black bits in cast iron frying pan or sometimes I use the wok. I get the pan very hot add just a spot of oil and brown the outside as quickly as possible. Then I push in a sharp knife on an angle about 5cm's and push garlic cloves and a sprig of rosemary in those pockets. I roast in a large enameled cast iron roasting pot with a lid. A roasting dish covered with al-foil is just as good. I put in around 3-4 onions quartered and half a bottle of wine. I prefer chardonnay but I used to use red. Chardonnay gives a lighter colour to the gravy Smiley

I cook that on the lowest possible oven setting for around five hours. I fill the pot with veggies for the last hour though the roast potatoes I do separately. Start the roast top side down and turn after 31/2-4 hours. Have a look during the last hour and maybe turn the oven high for the last 15-20 to get a bit of colour. depending how much liquid there is and how much you want.

When cooked put the meat on a carving board to rest and put the vegi into a warmed serving bowl. Pour off the liquid into a jar or saucepan and take the fat off with a spoon as much as possible. Put some of the fat into a frying pan and cook some flour in it take it off the gas and add some liquid and stir until the flour's dissolved. then add the rest and cook until it thickens. season it with pepper and chopped fine mint leaves (Grans true mint - not spear-pepper or any other weird mint) and some balsamic vinegar. (or wine vinegar or pommegrante molasses whatever
Smiley 

Thank you for that. I don't think I could stuff it up?

I'm going to give it a try in the next couple of weeks and I'll let you know.

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 3:12pm

Quote:
I don't think I could stuff it up?

Unless I stuffed up Smiley I'm not good at temperatures
neither is my oven. I know there are ovens out there whose lowest setting wouldn't discomfort a tadpole in an egg cup. Better check after an hour and make sure something's happening  Smiley

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #14 - Feb 18th, 2012 at 5:56pm

Haha. I just saw the question mark on the end of

Quote:
I don't think I could stuff it up?

I didn't even realise when I typed it. That's confidence for you!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print