Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Meat of the week thread (Read 16194 times)
BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Re: Meat of the week thread
Reply #30 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:55am

Smokey taste?!! The grill was divided into a flat and a criss cross... um, probably the sauces we put on every time we turned were different to what was sold in the bottles. So really flavoured three times... first in the marinade overnight, second on the grill to customers order and last to taste by the customer itself, not that it really needed it but when in rome  Cool
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2013 at 1:05am by BatteriesNotIncluded »  

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #31 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 9:24am

If you look around you can find hickory sauce. I haven't seen it in regular supermarkets, but you can get it from the "Crazy" shops - the discount places. When I see it, I stock up on it. It's made in the US by Open Pit.  They also have char grill sauce. You baste the meat with that before you barbecue it.

I cooked some steaks for some friends who came to a BBQ at our place, and basted them with hickory sauce. The comment was - for a vegetarian, you sure cook the best steaks. Smiley
http://www.openpit.com/

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

St George of the Garden
Gold Member

http://tinyurl.com/n
3o8m2x

Reply #32 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:30am

The Mole wrote on Dec 2nd, 2013 at 9:15pm:
St George of the Garden wrote on Dec 2nd, 2013 at 10:07am:
What sort of BBQ do you have?

If you have a BBQ where you burn wood or charcoal, or a Weber kettle burning gas you can get a smoky taste. Smoke comes from wood—preferably fruitwood, bit of apricot/plum/peach etc wood, lemon tree wood or wood from grape stumps. The BBQ must be enclosed to get a smoky taste.

No softwoods like pine!!! Better not use eucalypt wood either. Willow is toxic as are oleander etc. You can probably buy hickory chunks from shops like BBQs galore.

Firestarters must not be put in the BBQ—yuck kerosene taste!

Heh, I had bought a used Weber kettle from eBay. My Mum who is dotty about garage sales and op shops floored me by saying “Why buy second hand!” so I took her to BBQs galore to show her prices of Weber kettle Qs when I saw the offset smoker. So I bought the smoker and told the Weber vendor that I had paid him but, tho he would think me odd, he could keep the kettle  Smiley

Thanks George, not likely will be able to source any of those woods though...I dont have a bbq but thinking of a kettle definitely.

A weber kettle (get the real thing, cheap enough from eBay) light a fire using newspapers/kindling etc, add charcoal until you have a nice bed of coals. There must be a BBQ place somewhere in your neck of the woods, Pt Augusta say, where you can buy a bag of hickory chunks, or at a joinery as Muso said.

Use the grill not the solid metal part, fire under the metal, cook the meat until the surface is dry, then add wood, put the lid on and set the baffle to slow burning and to keep the smoke in the kettle.

I want Muso as GMod. Bring back Muso!
WWW Friends of the National Broadband Network  
IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #33 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:56am

Grey wrote on Feb 15th, 2012 at 7:52pm:
And I prefer the taste of older sheep.

You've jogged my memory.

Coles used to sell chunks of mutton in gravy in red tins from Malaysia, brand name 'Ayam'.

Open the tin, heat the contents in a saucepan ~ and pour over plain boiled rice. Heaven on a plate.

They still have the 'Ayam' brand on the shelves, but no more mutton. It's been years now.

Grey wrote on Feb 15th, 2012 at 7:52pm:
and some balsamic vinegar.

I tried it for the first time a few weeks ago. I won't be giving up White Vinegar.

A big disappointment for me were all those delicious-looking cans of Indian food at the supermarket ... only to discover how bland and uninteresting they are.

The labels show the meals looking very appetising on a plate, but it's a case of not judging a book by its cover.

IP Logged

St George of the Garden
Gold Member

3o8m2x

Reply #34 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 5:08pm

I have a little feral boar loin. Will lard that with lardons from hog cheeks. Some spuds cooked into wedges as well.

Then chocolate soufflé made using my brand new, just received today Cuisinart hand held mixer!

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #35 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 5:34pm

St George of the Garden wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 5:08pm:
I have a little feral boar loin. Will lard that with lardons from hog cheeks. Some spuds cooked into wedges as well.

Then chocolate soufflé made using my brand new, just received today Cuisinart hand held mixer!

Live to eat- good call!

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #36 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 5:40pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:56am:
They still have the 'Ayam' brand on the shelves, but no more mutton. It's been years now.

Yeah. It has a picture of a chicken on the label. Ayam is Malay/ Indonesian for chicken.

GeorgeH, Your feral boar doesn't sound like its Heart Foundation approved.  Grin

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #37 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 7:48pm

muso wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 5:40pm:
GeorgeH, Your feral boar doesn't sound like its Heart Foundation approved.  Grin

I think it's OK if you follow the rest of the French mode d'emploi: eat it for lunch after a morning of tilling, wash it down with a bottle of red, have honey lettuce turnover for desert, a snooze and then chop wood, draw water and hunt the next wild boar until sunset.

You will get the heart foundation tick, no worries.
But even if not - boy, you have lived!

IP Logged

The Mole
Gold Member

http://www.ozpolitic
.co/album/forum-atta
chments/y

Reply #38 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 10:16pm

muso wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 5:40pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:56am:

Yeah. It has a picture of a chicken on the label. Ayam is Malay/ Indonesian for chicken.

GeorgeH, Your feral boar doesn't sound like its Heart Foundation approved
Grin

LOL I kind of doubt it...
I wonder if Demi likes brings them down on those hunting trips...careful Demi..pigs love to munch on hunting dogs.

"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave"

IP Logged

St George of the Garden
Gold Member

3o8m2x

Reply #39 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 10:08am

I’ll keep Demi for killing rats doubt she’d do well as a pig hunting dog  Grin

The feral boar loin was deelish! The rosemary and garlic just made it even tastier!

For Christmass lunch with the extended family I will cook two feral boar backstraps wrapped in pancetta in the offset smoker—I reckon they will disappear very quickly! Will also make a dozen marbled eggs—hardboil, crack the shell and cook in tea or water containing red onion leaves, then cool and remove the shells revealing a nice marbling, and some home made mayonnaise to go with the eggs.

Bought online a Cuisinart (US made) 9 speed handmixer that arrived yesterday, will make the mayo easy to make!
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2013 at 10:37am by St George of the Garden »  

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #40 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 11:52am

Be careful eating feral pigs. It's a good way to get tape-worms.

link

IP Logged

St George of the Garden
Gold Member

3o8m2x

Reply #41 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 9:58pm

The meat is all inspected etc and pork I cook to past the pink stage, etc.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2013 at 10:08pm by St George of the Garden »  

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #42 - Dec 5th, 2013 at 7:37am

St George of the Garden wrote on Dec 4th, 2013 at 9:58pm:
The meat is all inspected etc and pork I cook to past the pink stage, etc.

I don't want to put a damper on your fun here, but tape-worm eggs are not easy to see.

It might be the right thing to do to warn your guests that there's every chance the pig had tape-worms.

It's a bit like letting a one-night stand know you have AIDs.  Cool

Having tapeworms adds inches to your waist-line.  Tongue

IP Logged

The Mole
Gold Member

http://www.ozpolitic
.co/album/forum-atta
chments/y

Reply #43 - Dec 5th, 2013 at 11:09am

well that is a tricky situation I think..and really depends on how easily cooking kills any eggs that might be missed.. would be nasty to end up with tape worms...

I say just serve a worm tablet with every serving...?

"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave"

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #44 - Dec 5th, 2013 at 1:34pm

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print