Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Iteresting Islamic Fact (Read 15090 times)
gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Re: Iteresting Islamic Fact
Reply #30 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 1:44pm

falah wrote on Jan 30th, 2012 at 12:12pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Jan 30th, 2012 at 11:19am:
Well, no not the Conquistidors....they were mainly after money and exploration...Those come under the economic section...

What was the initial motivation for the conquistidors? Why were they looking for the Spice islands in the East Indies?

If you read through the writings of the Portuguese at the time, as I did in preparation for my thesis, you will find that the motivation was religious.

The Portuguese said that they were looking for the Spice Islands so that they could cause economic harm to Muslims. Their plot was to destroy the economy of the Muslim world so that they could then take it over.

Yes, economic harm....The Muslims were a competing cultural and economic empire at the time...
They weren't out to erase the religion per se.....they wanted to break the military and cultural power of the Caliphate, and the best way to do it was to destroy the trade monopoly on spices...
After all, they behaved in much the same way against France and England...

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 2:43pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Jan 30th, 2012 at 1:44pm:
Well, no not the Conquistidors....they were mainly after money and exploration...Those come under the economic section...

What was the initial motivation for the conquistidors? Why were they looking for the Spice islands in the East Indies?

If you read through the writings of the Portuguese at the time, as I did in preparation for my thesis, you will find that the motivation was religious.

The Portuguese said that they were looking for the Spice Islands so that they could cause economic harm to Muslims. Their plot was to destroy the economy of the Muslim world so that they could then take it over.

Yes, economic harm....The Muslims were a competing cultural and economic empire at the time...
They weren't out to erase the religion per se.....

Obviously you are not familiar with Portuguese literature of the 15th 16th century.

According to their own writings at the time, they were out to destroy Islam. They even had plans to dig up Prophet Muhammed's bones in Mecca (because they didn't realise he was actually buried in Madina). Their plan to attack Mecca was foiled when they found the Egyptian navy in the Red Sea was too strong.

Nothing is worthy of worship except God Almighty - our Creator!

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #32 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 3:57pm

falah wrote on Jan 30th, 2012 at 2:43pm:

Obviously you are not familiar with Portuguese literature of the 15th 16th century.

According to their own writings at the time, they were out to destroy Islam. They even had plans to dig up Prophet Muhammed's bones in Mecca (because they didn't realise he was actually buried in Madina). Their plan to attack Mecca was foiled when they found the Egyptian navy in the Red Sea was too strong.

You don't think that had anything to do with Islamic (Moorish) rule of the country over the preceding 700 years???

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 5:02pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Jan 30th, 2012 at 3:57pm:

You don't think that had anything to do with Islamic (Moorish) rule of the country over the preceding 700 years???

No, because Muslims allowed Christians (and jews) to live peacfully in Spain/Portugal (unlike the Christians who genocided anyone who didn't want to be Christian in something called the Inquisition) Muslims weren't out to destroy Christianity or Judaism or dig up the bones of Moses or Paul or and doing dumb stuff like that.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #34 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 5:51pm

falah wrote on Jan 30th, 2012 at 5:02pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Jan 30th, 2012 at 3:57pm:

No, because Muslims allowed Christians (and jews) to live peacfully in Spain/Portugal (unlike the Christians who genocided anyone who didn't want to be Christian in something called the Inquisition) Muslims weren't out to destroy Christianity or Judaism or dig up the bones of Moses or Paul or and doing dumb stuff like that.

Fair enough...but it's not at all unusual for a people who've just tossed out a foreign ruling country to be a bit vindictive....

However, at various times in history, the Islamic empires have forced Jews to convert to Islam.
None of the groups have clean hands in that respect...(except possibly Judaism)...

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 6:28pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Jan 30th, 2012 at 5:51pm:
However, at various times in history, the Islamic empires have forced Jews to convert to Islam.
None of the groups have clean hands in that respect...(except possibly Judaism)...

Not something that I have ever heard of. Islamic law forbids it, and no scholar of Islam would OK it.

In shi-ite countries people have been forced to convert to shi-itism. But the shi-ites do not follow conventional Islamic law.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #36 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 8:20pm

it's not at all unusual for a people who've just tossed out a foreign ruling country to be a bit vindictive....

"Foreign ruling country"??? What on earth are you on about? Muslims had ruled al-Andalus for about 700 years when they were finally exiled from there. If Aboriginals kicked your descendants out in about another 500 years (ie. in about the year 2488), do you think it'd still be right to say they were tossing out a "foreign ruling country"???

Come on, put it into perspective here.

Jews have forced non-Jews to convert at various times. In fact Nabataean Arabs were forced to convert to Judaism around about 2000 years ago, when the Jews conquered parts of their kingdom.

Can you detail for us exactly when and where Muslims supposedly forced Jews to convert to Islam?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #37 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 10:10pm

Quote:
"Foreign ruling country"??? What on earth are you on about? Muslims had ruled al-Andalus for about 700 years when they were finally exiled from there. If Aboriginals kicked your descendants out in about another 500 years (ie. in about the year 2488), do you think it'd still be right to say they were tossing out a "foreign ruling country"???

Abu can you explain why you think the Iberian peninsula still 'belongs' to Muslims and they should recapture it?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #38 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 10:38pm

Can you first explain to me why you think it's valid for Jews to re-capture Palestine after 2000 years?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #39 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 10:43pm

I thought the west set up Israel. I don't really see it as valid. It is history. I don't see the point in trying to validate or invalidate it. It is far better to learn from it.

Can you explain why you think the Iberian peninsula still 'belongs' to Muslims and they should recapture it?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #40 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 11:09pm

Well just wait till Andalus is back in Muslim hands, and then you can show the same kind of apathy.

No point worrying about something you're just going to accept anyway, right?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #41 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 11:25pm

I am still interested in your reasoning, especially given the other things you have posted here.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #42 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 11:35pm

abu_rashid wrote on Jan 30th, 2012 at 8:20pm:
it's not at all unusual for a people who've just tossed out a foreign ruling country to be a bit vindictive....

Come on, put it into perspective here.

Jews have forced non-Jews to convert at various times. In fact Nabataean Arabs were forced to convert to Judaism around about 2000 years ago, when the Jews conquered parts of their kingdom.

Can you detail for us exactly when and where Muslims supposedly forced Jews to convert to Islam?

The Moors, who conquered the Iberian Pensula around 711AD were North African Berbers, who sailed out of Morocco...And the capital of the Umayyad Caliphate was Damascus...So they were a foreign country, ruling over Iberian...

Precisely the same way the Romans had done before them, and the French, English, Dutch, Spanish etc have done since...

In 1656, all Jews were expelled from Isfahan because of the common belief of their impurity and forced to convert to Islam. However, as it became known that the converts continued to practice Judaism in secret and because the treasury suffered from the loss of jizya collected from the Jews, in 1661 they were allowed to revert to Judaism, but were still required to wear a distinctive patch upon their clothings.

Confined to city quarters, the Bukharan Jews were denied basic rights and many were forced to convert to Islam. They had to wear black and yellow dress to distinguish themselves from the Muslims.

Under the Zaydi rule, the Yemenite Jews were considered to be impure, and therefore forbidden to touch a Muslim or a Muslim's food. They were obligated to humble themselves before a Muslim, to walk to the left side, and greet him first. They could not build houses higher than a Muslim's or ride a camel or horse, and when riding on a mule or a donkey, they had to sit sideways. Upon entering the Muslim quarter a Jew had to take off his foot-gear and walk barefoot. If attacked with stones or fists by Islamic youth, a Jew was not allowed to defend himself. In such situations he had the option of fleeing or seeking intervention by a merciful Muslim passerby.
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2012 at 11:43pm by gizmo_2655 »  

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #43 - Jan 31st, 2012 at 8:30am

Sounds a lot like Nazism.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Jan 31st, 2012 at 12:17pm

abu_rashid wrote on Jan 30th, 2012 at 8:20pm:

We could just look at Mohammad's wives.

Juwariya bint al Harith-
Sahih Muslim book 19 number 4292 and Sahih Bukhari vol 3 book 46 number 717
"The messenger of Allah made a raid upon the Banu Mustaliq while they were unaware and their cattle were having a drink at the water,He killed those who fought and imprisoned others.On that very day he captured Juwariya"

Thats right Mo launched a surprise attack and killed any man who fought,and they took the women and children as "war booty".
Nice strategy in finding a wife eh Abu,way more efficient than mine.
She was a jew who became a muslim after she was "captured" according to Islamic texts.

Safiyya bint Huyayy
She was another war captive,a 17 year old married jewish girl captured from the Banu Nadir tribe.
Sahih Bukhari vol 2 book 14 number 68 covers this.

Rayhana bint Amr ibn Khunafa
This was another  "captured" jewish woman from the Banu Qurayza.
What is it with Mo and captured Jewish women Abu?
There are conflicting stories over this one,some say she embraced Islam others say she remained a slave.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print