Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
managing our water supplies (Read 6113 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: managing our water supplies
Reply #15 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 12:24pm

Adelaide. In fact most of our capital cities are now resorting to desalination of seawater, which makes it pretty absurd to use their alternative water supply to grow rice in the desert.

Don't call me Tim.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 3:30pm

freediver wrote on Mar 20th, 2012 at 12:24pm:
Adelaide. In fact most of our capital cities are now resorting to desalination of seawater, which makes it pretty absurd to use their alternative water supply to grow rice in the desert.

Don't call me Tim.

Oh dear Tim, it won't do.

Adelaide's water storages are currently ( 53% of capacity ).

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #17 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 5:56pm

What is your point? Do you think we should only worry about rational allocation of scarce water when we have nearly run out?

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 6:06pm

What should be done is to dig out Lake eyre to a decent depth and then put back the salt as a glaze.

"It is in the shelter of each other that the people live" - Irish Proverb

IP Logged

FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 9:14am

freediver wrote on Mar 20th, 2012 at 5:56pm:
What is your point? Do you think we should only worry about rational allocation of scarce water when we have nearly run out?

The point is you need to look further than blaming irrigation.

Try it. Cheesy

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #20 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 12:32pm

It doesn't have anything to do with blame. The water should go to the highest value user. At the moment our legislation is getting in the way of that, not enabling it.

IP Logged

FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Marine parks next wave of water wars
Reply #21 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 2:21pm

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Jan 25th, 2012 at 3:15pm:
The fact that the Riverina needs a 'Fish Hatchery' just goes to show the extent of lost ground upon a fishing level. And still, people fish without duty of care for the future, with minimal regulation of just a  yearly fee.

There are plenty of regulations in regards to recreational fishing. Bag limits, closed seasons, bans on fishing methods like gill and drum nets, bans on set lines, ban on keeping Cod over 1 meter etc.

Habitat degradation, over fishing in the past and the introduction and continued proliferation of introduced species, including government funded and sanctioned stocking of trout have all had a major impact on native fish numbers.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #22 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 4:22pm

So true FriYaY. My apologies.

It was in the paper yesterday of how they have caught hundreds of POACHERS fishing in NSW both Coastal and Inland. Good Stuff Smiley

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 8:49am

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Mar 21st, 2012 at 4:22pm:
So true FriYaY. My apologies.

It was in the paper yesterday of how they have caught hundreds of POACHERS fishing in NSW both Coastal and Inland. Good Stuff Smiley

I get a bit excited when it comes to the MDB and the protection of our native species. Smiley

You are in red neck central up there (I worked in Griffith for 3 years) and the amount of “kill and grill”, lack of respect and little concern of impact is huge. I guess the problem with rules and regulation is that they only affect those that abide by them. I wish the penalties for illegal fishing were much harsher.

Our upland species such as Blue Nose Cod and Macquarie Perch need to have some streams and rivers classified as native only, so their stocks and natural distribution can be improved/restored away from the competition of introduced trout.  Smiley

In the MDB some 90% of man made impediments to water flows (weirs/locks etc) are still without fish ways or fish ladders, to allow fish movement, especially during spawning.  Sad

Murray Cod (especially wild river stock) need to have a slot size of 60-70cm. All fish bigger or smaller should be returned. Large fish are too valuable to eat. Cry

Fishing needs to be banned 100 meters either side of weirs and locks. The legal slaughter of aggregations of spawning Golden Perch, trapped at weirs, is a blight. People line up one after another to take home their “bag”, often returning for yet another “bag”. Angry

Work on re-snagging of the Murray (many snags were removed to allow navigation passage for steam boats) is woefully slow and under funded.

I better stop….. Cool

IP Logged

peter07

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 7:08pm

you should be more careful.

IP Logged

namnugenot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #25 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 10:25am

freediver wrote on Mar 19th, 2012 at 7:33pm:
None of that means that it is a good idea to grow rice in the Australian desert while downstream cities are running out of water.

They are also encouraging people to move there.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print