Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
managing our water supplies (Read 6111 times)
It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
managing our water supplies
Jan 23rd, 2012 at 3:50pm

Been living out here in the Riverina for 6 months now and am stuck out here for another 6 months.
The Irrigation set-up out here is pretty amazing and they take such 'Watery' things really serious out here - hence why officially there are Water Wars going on out here too. Apparently they want to cut quotas upon the farmers for water usage and thats where the stink has erupted. Its ironic considering the very 'wet years' of late.
There is a lot of water usage out here and its was strange seeing 'rice paddocks' glimmering under the sun when I first moved this way.

I guess WATER is POWER out here, more so than Gold could ever be. This is where a certain big nosed Victorian Polititian tried to start a 'Water Baron War' long ago too.
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2012 at 7:20pm by freediver »  

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Marine parks next wave of water wars
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 6:14pm

The farmers are happy for people in the city to pay twice as much as them for the same water. Apparently they own it and this country will stop functioning if we don't export rice to China.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 11:58am

LOL. Yes, I work in the Rice Mill down here, after getting shafted from the $1000 job I moved down here for. We export a lot of Rice to China ironically.

Yeah, its kinda crazy. There is a lot of water here in the Riverina. I guess it must be about 'control' more than quantity. Quite amazing seeing all the canals, from giant ones criss-crossing properties to small ones running behind Residential. Never expected it out here. Coincidence that you and I discussed such things here on this Forum FreeDiver. I still agree with you that Pipes are worthwhile too.
I think Sydney, if it managed its stormwater system properly, could be selling water to the state rather than need a Desal Plant and loosing 20 metres worth of good rainfall out to sea and keeping only 18 inches worth at Warragamba Dam.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 12:37pm

So you are upstream of Adelaide, which keeps running out of water and needs desal plants? Which basically means we are desalinating seawater to grow rice.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 3:15pm

True and very perceptive angle. Don't say that too loud FreeDiver - you may upset an national applecart right there. Especially when it was the SA premier who told the Feds and PM to take the 'overseas wars' for the USA and shove it - Water Issues are more important and thus won over for support by every other state. First time the States told the Feds to 'bow down'.
I'm still in two minds, maybe more, as to the right way to go about all this. The Farmers? I can see their immediate needs. The State Water and M.I.A? Well I can see their need for a controlled system. The Environmentalists ? I can see their need for revenge for truely, a lot of damage and loss has occurred. The fact that the Riverina needs a 'Fish Hatchery' just goes to show the extent of lost ground upon a fishing level. And still, people fish without duty of care for the future, with minimal regulation of just a  yearly fee.

So far, haven't been able to get any 'scubaDiving', let alone FreeDiving work out this way ...not even to look for a body.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 7:19pm

For major rivers that cross state borders, they need to do away with state government involvement and switch to a catchment based management body - ie one body for the whole murray darling system.

Otherwise the state governments bow to the self interest of local farmers and nothing ever changes.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Re: managing our water supplies
Reply #6 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 4:30am

So true! Wink

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 9:53am

I should also add that I've just got my ABN and am soon to work for the those who own the Wetlands here. Gonna keep it up to scratch for the Bird Watchers and Naturalists.
This is based upon a number of things: My back isn't getting any younger so I need to stop working pleb jobs that always involve backwork. I'm 40+ so there isn't really much work out there unless I'm running my own show.
The Wetlands have a special place in my heart for a Writing friend and I fell in love at a Bird Hide there. Ironically it was nicknamed the 'Biffle Cabin' which translates to something akin to Soul-Mates. Shame I was married at the time and she was still stuck 600km away with her Ex. We even wrote a short story together ...we eventually 'cracked' and fell away from one another sadly, but I wrote the story up in the Hide. I miss her muchly.
The Wetlands are the only decent peice of water in my local area that seems 'alive'. Originally enquired about snorkling it - but its pretty shallow.
A few Bird-Watchers who have sprung me ("Ahh. So you're the Writer!?") have complained about the over-growth of Reed. My only thought, rather than pumping the area full of chemicals, is when it dries out - to get the big excavators in (like they do in the Canals around here) and dig DEEP. Reed can only proliferate in 'shallow' situations.

I also go out there a lot after shifts (Dawn and Dusk) because it beats hanging out in a Pub and it is indeed a nice place. I also talk a bit to 'my love' ...wherever she may be. Maybe one day she might forgive me for whatever it was that went wrong. Maybe oen day she might come back to 'connect' again?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 12:42pm

Not knowing what you did wrong is probably half the problem.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 4:32pm

Shiiiit ! (I think you are right)

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 4:34pm

...you know I sometimes hate it when you're right FreeDiver.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #11 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 7:44pm

Just enjoyed a local Writing Group today.
Been thinking...
I won't try to redo my 'major' writing work, but instead - considering that I am here in the M.I.A. I think it wise to concentrate upon an old short story called "The Canals of Mars" under the KISS philosophy. Yes - 'Pipes' will be included.

Wish me luck.

IP Logged

FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 2:37pm

What a pair of short sighted dills you 2 are.

Over the last 10 years, Australian rice growers have improved their water use efficiency by 60 percent.
Australian Bureau of Statistics, Agricultural Commodities 2006.
Not only that we also exceed worldwide tonnes/hectare (8.6 to compared to 5.4) 9.7 this year.

Australia exports less than 10% of its rice production. Actually not much of the world production is exported…. Annual world production totals 600 million tonnes with only 25 million tonnes traded outside the country of origin

So easy to sit their and blame farmers for decades of government inaction. The MIA is a classic example of infrastructure needing to be upgraded.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 7:33pm

None of that means that it is a good idea to grow rice in the Australian desert while downstream cities are running out of water.

IP Logged

FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 11:27am

freediver wrote on Mar 19th, 2012 at 7:33pm:
None of that means that it is a good idea to grow rice in the Australian desert while downstream cities are running out of water.

Which cities are running out of water Tim?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print