Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Send Topic Print
You can't use Science to prove or disprove God (Read 16232 times)
Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: You can't use Science to prove or disprove God
Reply #75 - May 27th, 2014 at 10:46pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 10:12pm:
rolls eyes

Your inability to respond with further debate is noted. Therefore, I accept your defeat.

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #76 - May 28th, 2014 at 8:48am

Debate with what? Quasiintellectual piffle? Right

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #77 - Aug 7th, 2014 at 1:30pm

Sappho wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 3:43pm:
Raven wrote on May 2nd, 2014 at 11:34am:
[quote author=Sappho link=1319412508/59#59 date=1398930065][quote author=Raven link=1319412508/58#58 date=1398927735]There are only two possibilities, either there is a god or there isn't.

Both are equally frightening.

Thinking more about your original statement, I suspect that both are equally frightening, because neither answer provides us with an answer to the 'Why' question which naturally follows from a decision about supernatural existence or lack thereof.

Then ponder this sweet Lady of Lesbos. What if there is no Why?

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Mnemonic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #78 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 5:55pm

Sappho wrote on May 1st, 2014 at 5:41pm:
As an atheist, my argument is that the gods spoken of in theism simply can't exist because they are either manifestations of our own humanity or lack the logical necessity to be valid in the first place.

Lack of "logical necessity" doesn't mean there isn't a God. I may not need to be a millionaire, but that doesn't mean wealth doesn't exist.

You may not need an army to fight for you and may not need enemies, but that doesn't mean governments aren't investing in defence and looking for potential threats. You may not need extraterrestrials in your life, but that doesn't mean there isn't life out there somewhere in this vast universe. You may not need black holes, dwarf stars, giants and supergiant stars, but they exist.

The idea that "I don't need it, therefore it doesn't exist" isn't a compelling or conclusive enough argument that "there is no God."

You may not see a need to believe in a God, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

I get it, you're trying to invoke Occam's Razor, aren't you? Unfortunately, our universe doesn't follow Occam's Razor.

IP Logged

Kytro
Gold Member

Blasphemy: a victimless
crime

Adelaide
Reply #79 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 7:14pm

Mnemonic wrote on Aug 11th, 2014 at 5:55pm:
Lack of "logical necessity" doesn't mean there isn't a God. I may not need to be a millionaire, but that doesn't mean wealth doesn't exist.

Right, but lack of evidence for something means that lack of belief is reasonable. I can't rule out every single possible God, but I can rule out some of them, and others have better explanations than supernatural deity.

Mnemonic wrote on Aug 11th, 2014 at 5:55pm:
The idea that "I don't need it, therefore it doesn't exist" isn't a compelling or conclusive enough argument that "there is no God."

You may not see a need to believe in a God, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

I get it, you're trying to invoke Occam's Razor, aren't you? Unfortunately, our universe doesn't follow Occam's Razor.

You're right. lack of requirement isn't enough to rule something out, but lack of evidence is a good reason not believe. One problem is when you define something as outside of rational enquiry then it becomes irrational to believe in it, almost by definition. If we can't make inquires into it, discussion becomes almost meaningless, you could claim pretty much anything you wanted to claim. That also means rejecting it become trivial as well.

IP Logged

Freedumb
Gold Member

Australian Politics

WA
Reply #80 - Sep 7th, 2014 at 9:42pm

If science could prove everything, then why are there still many unsolved mysteries?

Maybe they're looking in all the wrong places. The same could be said for the existence of God.

Science can not evolve any further without imagination, fantasy and possibility. It is only with these three things that one can make a new discovery, coupled with applying science.

Nothing would be what it is,
Because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary-wise - what it is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be, it would.
You see?

- Lewis Carroll

IP Logged

Kytro
Gold Member

crime

Adelaide
Reply #81 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 10:34pm

Freedumb wrote on Sep 7th, 2014 at 9:42pm:
If science could prove everything, then why are there still many unsolved mysteries?

We lack the tools required to solve everything. With the right tools we can solve more, but "everything" is an unknown quantity.

Maybe they're looking in all the wrong places. The same could be said for the existence of God.

Science can not evolve any further without imagination, fantasy and possibility. It is only with these three things that one can make a new discovery, coupled with applying science.

Perhaps they are. I'm not sure how you could go about proving the existence of a god.

IP Logged

Freedumb
Gold Member

Australian Politics

WA
Reply #82 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 10:19pm

Kytro wrote on Sep 13th, 2014 at 10:34pm:

We lack the tools required to solve everything. With the right tools we can solve more, but "everything" is an unknown quantity.

Perhaps they are. I'm not sure how you could go about proving the existence of a god.

To start off with, I'd suggest that people perceive God in a completely different way to what it truly is. For instance, people have this idea that he's sitting in the sky somewhere, keeps an eye on our every move and if we commit any "seven deadly sins" we will be rejected from the kingdom of heaven and our souls will burn in hell.
So looking at it that way, you cannot apply science to a myth.
Now here's another question that has yet to be answered
"How did existence come to be?" And the answer has to be much more explainable than the big bang theory. I believe the answer to that question is the same answer we have for proving God's existence.
If that makes sense.

Nothing would be what it is,
Because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary-wise - what it is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be, it would.
You see?

- Lewis Carroll

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #83 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 10:34pm

Creation & Evolution are both right.
It's the ones who think that there should be just one right answer - that are in the wrong.

eg: A woman creates a child, a man evolves the child, etc.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #84 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 10:59pm

Cheesy
It's like anything, innit? All answers are right except the ones that SAY they are right - them ones are wrong.
Etc.

IP Logged

Kytro
Gold Member

crime

Adelaide
Reply #85 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 12:16am

Freedumb wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 10:19pm:
Now here's another question that has yet to be answered
"How did existence come to be?" And the answer has to be much more explainable than the big bang theory. I believe the answer to that question is the same answer we have for proving God's existence.
If that makes sense.

Well the big bang theory is about the origin of the universe as we know it, including time and space. There was no "before" the big bang because there was no time. The universe is also energy neutral - negative energy (space, basically) is balanced with matter. So in theory the universe adds up to nothing. It's over my head though.

IP Logged

boxy

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 6:25pm

Sappho wrote on Oct 24th, 2011 at 9:28am:
You can't use Science to prove or disprove God, yet people do it all the time.

So, how do we prove or disprove God's existence?

You can't disprove something that requires no proof. You're putting the onus on the wrong party.

The best way to debate the existence of a god, is through philosophy, and the use of logic. Logic requires those making outrageous assertions to be the ones to provide verifiable evidence of their claims, and that the best explanation, is that which relies on the least number of unfounded assumptions.

Religion and spiritualism always fails, when logic is applied.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #87 - Jan 2nd, 2016 at 8:19am

Oh, you poor blind, lost soul. How can you possibly live without faith? Your life must be empty. You want proof? It’s all written in ancient scripture. Believe it, and all worldly problems will go away.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

boxy

Australian Politics

Reply #88 - Jan 3rd, 2016 at 6:37pm

Ah, the self referencing scriptures. How could I have been so blind?

IP Logged

John_Taverner
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #89 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 5:17pm

boxy wrote on Jan 3rd, 2016 at 6:37pm:
Ah, the self referencing scriptures. How could I have been so blind?

By not seeing the light?  Tongue

72+Adelaide+Street  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Send Topic Print