Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12
Send Topic Print
You can't use Science to prove or disprove God (Read 16230 times)
Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

You can't use Science to prove or disprove God
Oct 24th, 2011 at 9:28am

You can't use Science to prove or disprove God, yet people do it all the time.

So, how do we prove or disprove God's existence?
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2011 at 5:40pm by Sappho »  

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Re: You can't use Science to prove or disprove God
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 3:26pm

It's about time I brought up my elephant analogy again:

Once upon a time, an elephant was trampling through the dense jungle when his left front foot splashed in a puddle sending some tadpoles flying through the air and ending up in the centre of a giant bromeliad. The tadpoles grew up to be tiny (but strangely sentient) frogs who gained nutrition from the plants and insects that grew or were trapped by the bromeliad.

Generation after generation lived in the centre of the bromeliad, speculating about the nature of the universe, which was defined by bright red and green walls and a sky which varied from blue to grey depending on the seasons. Some speculated on how life originated in their universe, and how they were always supplied by food and water. They speculated that the universe would some day come to an end. They speculated how God must be benevolent, but some who were less content with their lot, speculated that God must be incompetent. Either way, they agreed that God must know everything and must be capable of anything.

- and then there were the Atheists.  They didn't believe in gods - elephant-like or otherwise.   

Then one day, the Elephant happened to come back and for a very brief moment, the little frogs saw the face of their creator god, but only for a moment, because the next moment, they saw the elephant's back leg rapidly descending on their universe.

For a split second, they considered how on earth God could be so evil as to destroy the world. Then they stopped thinking, because they were dead.

Meanwhile, the Elephant found a nice rich patch of grass and started munching contentedly, oblivious to the fact that he had just destroyed a sentient civilization.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 10:11pm

And so...?

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 12:18am

muso wrote on Oct 25th, 2011 at 3:26pm:

It's about time I brought up my elephant analogy again:.....

Elephants, shmelephants.

muso,

Google;
cargo cult

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

The cargo cult was a false belief system with as much credo [credibility] as which your elephant story inspires, imo.

And so..... ?

Clearly people [human beings] are prepared to believe all sorts of things.

Some people even believe that they can [in effect] act as God [and make their own life rules, rules which are formulated, essentially, to serve the sating of their own [creature] desires, often ignoring the consequences of their actions upon 3rd parties], and they have come to believe, that there is very little likelihood of them being 'brought to book' for their choices/actions.

IMO, that is belief system which, from my pov, is bizarre, and, clearly is promoting an unscientific 'precept'.

But hey, that's how 'clever' we human beings are.
/sarc off

i.e.
We [human beings, and especially atheists] claim to believe in 'scientific principles', but we will casually brush aside the predicted and obvious consequences of those 'scientific' precepts, whenever those consequences don't 'fit' with our own worldly desires.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Google;
every action has

i.e.
Something about Newton's Third Law.

And.....
Google;
cognitive dissonance

+++

hey muso,

People even, even, believe this....

"Right is only in question between equals, and while the strong do what they can, the weak suffer what they must."

Thucydides (460-400 B.C.) Greek Historian

Which is the way of Cain.

And 'the way' of almost all of mankind.

+++

the here again, gone again, Yadda

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 7:29am

Soren wrote on Oct 25th, 2011 at 10:11pm:
And so...?

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 7:33am

And so...?

Und zo, ze truth is far from anybody's expectations or beliefs.

The frogs' worldview is limited by the bounds of their perception, so they make stuff up to try to explain the reality of their situation.

Aren't we a bit like that, regardless of what we actually believe?

Helian got it. It's what we'd call in the West existentialism. The Buddhists have had that view for thousands of years.

Quote:
Apart from consciousness, no diverse truths exist. Mere sophistry declares this 'true' and that view 'false'.

Siddhārtha Gautama

I have also quoted the prelude to the Diamond Sutra on numerous occasions. Effectively that is saying the same thing.
(cf. Nietsche's abyss.)

Yadda - stick around.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2011 at 8:00am by muso »  

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 7:55am

Yadda wrote on Oct 26th, 2011 at 12:18am:
Some people even believe that they can [in effect] act as God [and make their own life rules, rules which are formulated, essentially, to serve the sating of their own [creature] desires, often ignoring the consequences of their actions upon 3rd parties], and they have come to believe, that there is very little likelihood of them being 'brought to book' for their choices/actions.

IMO, that is belief system which, from my pov, is bizarre, and, clearly is promoting an unscientific 'precept'.

You might not agree, but in accepting the Bible, you are still making a personal choice. As part of that choice, you are accepting that a significant chunk of your moral system must be devoted to things like observing the sabbath, not taking the lord's name in vain, not believing in any other gods, a rigid system of work that involves working 6 days with one day off, not covetting anything belonging to your neighbour, including his ass. The remainder is pretty well shared with major religions, including Buddhism.

That's fine - it may be a personal choice shared with 1 or 2 billion other Christians and Jews (etc), but it still comes down to a personal choice. It's still taking your pick out of a myriad of different worldviews.

- and don't claim that accepting this moral code makes a person somehow morally superior in some way. The "Christian Knights of the Ku Klux Klan" is one example how a perfectly good moral system can be twsted by some seriously twisted people. To use your own words... "essentially, to serve the sating of their own [creature] desires, often ignoring the consequences of their actions upon 3rd parties"

As for the unscientific part, I think that science and religion are not incompatible and we have much to learn from each other. I tend to agree with Alvin Carl Plantinga, who  argues that there is superficial conflict but deep concord between science and religion, but that there is superficial concord but deep conflict between science and naturalism. He defines religion from a Christian viewpoint. (Of course you may argue that this particular position is in partial conflict with the first part of my post. Such is the nature of life.)
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2011 at 8:30am by muso »  

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 8:52am

The central point of any religion is how to live this life. And that's the truth.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 12:01pm

Soren wrote on Oct 26th, 2011 at 8:52am:
The central point of any religion is how to live this life. And that's the truth.

Yep. Break any commandment and you break God's law - his covenant.
Quote:
Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

So none of that revisionist crap like - "if you do work Sunday for any reason, make sure you take some time off or you'll burn yourself out. " or "I guess a bit of hedge trimming is ok as long as I consult with Jesus."  or "Can my wife make sausage rolls on Sunday or does she have to prepare them the previous day? "

You work on Sunday and you're going to hell. Nothing better than a bit of absolute morality and Biblical Truths for some good character building - but if you see your cow look like it's about to do some work (the body language and the business attire is a dead giveaway)  on a Sunday, f.f.s. take immediate action or you'll go to hell.

Quote:
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
 Matthew 5:19

Don't work Sundays (or is it Saturdays?) or you're buggered, mate.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2011 at 12:09pm by muso »  

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #9 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 12:51am

muso wrote on Oct 26th, 2011 at 7:33am:

The frogs' worldview is limited by the bounds of their perception, so they make stuff up to try to explain the reality of their situation.

Helian got it. It's what we'd call in the West existentialism. The Buddhists have had that view for thousands of years.

Quote:
Apart from consciousness, no diverse truths exist. Mere sophistry declares this 'true' and that view 'false'.

Siddhārtha Gautama

Consciousness, or conscience ???

Unless we are a blind person we can all [individually] see the sun rise each day [or at least, we can see that there is some bright thing in the sky, behind those clouds].

But imo, our consciousness [to see a sun rise] is not a good guide [for us] as to what is true, or real.
[though i concede, we do seem to use our 'consciousness' for that purpose]

IMAGE...
Julia_Gillard

e.g.
That person above, i can see that person, and i can hear what she is saying, to my 'consciousness', each day [through my TV].

But is that person a source of truth, a source of 'reality' ?

I know that that person is supposedly a respected person in Australia [i.e. she at least holds a high office, in this nation].

She is supposedly a 'high status' person in Australia.

Why so ???

On what basis is anyone a 'high status' person, in Australian society ???

e.g.
If Julia_Gillard's ratings are currently low, could Julia improve her standing the public eye, if she appeared on a show like, THE X-FACTOR ???

I doubt it.

I mean, whether it is Tony Abbot tomorrow, or Julia today, are the people of Australia, the citizens of Australia, making 'good choices', when they choose those people who will form a government, and then make laws, to govern them ???

What has been the experience over the last 100 years ?

Do we, have we in the past, generally elected good and wise lawmakers ?

And if not, why not ?

+++

'Consciousness' [i.e. even so far as it extends to our supposed political acuity], tells us very little, about what is real, imo.

But i am sure that we are all distracted with our 'consciousness' [i.e. with our perception of the world, and 'reality'].

But if not our consciousness, then what should we trust in ?

Perhaps 'high status' people ?

If you want to trust in men, then trust in men.

Make your own choice.

But that is a silly statement, because everyday, everyone of us does make that choice.

Jeremiah 17:5
Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD.

+++

IMO, Isaac Newton's Third law of motion is a lot closer to truth, than either Tony Abbot , or Julia Gillard, will ever get to truth.

And i'm sure that both Tony and Julia know something about their own 'consciousness', but do either of them have a truthful, and trained conscience ???

I'm sure that they do.      Cool

Dictionary;
conscience = = a person’s moral sense of right and wrong.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #10 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 1:19am

Yes, i am sure that we are all just 'frogs', with perceptions.

Yes ?

hehe

I know that i have 'perceptions'.      Grin

Kermit, aka Yadda.

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 2:39am

And so...?

Und zo, ze truth is far from anybody's expectations or beliefs.

Quote:

Siddhārtha Gautama

I have also quoted the prelude to the Diamond Sutra on numerous occasions. Effectively that is saying the same thing.
(cf. Nietsche's abyss.)

Yadda - stick around.

Proof that Muso is demented.

"It is in the shelter of each other that the people live" - Irish Proverb

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 2:58am

Quote:
As for the unscientific part, I think that science and religion are not incompatible

As long as priests adapt their beliefs to fit the facts produced by science, scientists will continue to grin and bear it.

Quote:

You can within the meaning of 'proof' according to science.

Just take your fakir's and quakers, your Yaddas and mahdis, vicars and priests, Swamis, gurus, rabbis, nuns, popes, monks, evil spirits, incantations, hymns. prayers, devils, sprites, demons, dickheads, enlightened ones, mystics, temples, mosques, cathedrals candelabra, crosses, icons, saints, ( I give up, I could go on forever) and all the rest of the paraphernalia and stick it  where it will never see the light of day again.

You can let the quakers off if they promise to remain quiet. Grin

"It is in the shelter of each other that the people live" - Irish Proverb

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #13 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 8:59am

Grey wrote on Oct 28th, 2011 at 2:39am:
Proof that Muso is demented.

We need to have people with opposing views. Otherwise it becomes a mutual admiration society.

Besides, don't atheists drink the blood and soul of  Christians ?  Grin (in a similar fashion to J K Rowling's dementors)  

If it wasn't for Christians etc, Atheists like you wouldn't exist, because it just wouldn't occur to you not to believe in something that nobody else actually believes in.  

Grey wrote on Oct 28th, 2011 at 2:58am:
You can let the quakers off if they promise to remain quiet. Grin

They do make exceedingly good breakfast cereal.  Tongue
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2011 at 9:05am by muso »  

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #14 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 9:04am

Grey wrote on Oct 28th, 2011 at 2:58am:
Quote:
As for the unscientific part, I think that science and religion are not incompatible

As long as priests adapt their beliefs to fit the facts produced by science, scientists will continue to grin and bear it.

Quote:

You can within the meaning of 'proof' according to science.

Science doesn't have that word in its vocabulary. Maybe you mean maths?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12
Send Topic Print