Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Rules for banning from member run and party boards (Read 15502 times)
mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Rules for banning from member run and party boards
Reply #30 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 10:59am

cods wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 10:42am:
I thought I was banned from tavern....but maybe not...I was asked not to go there and I havent lol..

You're not banned from there now apparently Cods, but for those who are "banned" from one of the member run boards - why would you want to go back anyway? You are banned in spirit only, but if you keep returning in defiance of the moderator's warning - obviously you'll end up being banned from the whole of Ozpolitic.

cods wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 10:09am:
really... thats news.. how do you know when someone is banned???....I dont use the member run boards that much but I thought a mod could only ban you from their own board and not the whole thing??.... or have I got that wrong.?

A global moderator would have banned this person. The insult occurred in Politicians Suck - so Cods a precedent has been set. Any member who accuses someone else of imbibing could now be banned.

You wouldn't usually know when someone is banned unless they talk about it somewhere.

IP Logged

Datalife
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 11:03am

mantra wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 10:59am:
I thought I was banned from tavern....but maybe not...I was asked not to go there and I havent lol..

You're not banned from there now apparently Cods, but for those who are "banned" from one of the member run boards - why would you want to go back anyway? You are banned in spirit only, but if you keep returning in defiance of the moderator's warning - obviously you'll end up being banned from the whole of Ozpolitic.

if like me you respond to view by time you can accidentally find yourself in someone's sandpit.

"If they’re out there in the high seas, what you would do is seek to turn them back through the agency of the Australian Navy".

Kevin Rudd on 2GB, July 12, 2007

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #32 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 11:28am

Datalife wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 11:03am:
if like me you respond to view by time you can accidentally find yourself in someone's sandpit.

I can understand that. I've found myself about to automatically respond to something in the sub-forum I'm banned from, but pulled back in the nick of time. I got 3 warnings over just one little line I posted which means technically if I get another warning - I could be banned. One warning per post should be adequate enough to deter someone.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 11:39am

mantra wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 11:28am:
Datalife wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 11:03am:

I can understand that. I've found myself about to automatically respond to something in the sub-forum I'm banned from, but pulled back in the nick of time. I got 3 warnings over just one little line I posted which means technically if I get another warning - I could be banned. One warning per post should be adequate enough to deter someone.

thats interesting I did get a couple of messages about not going there... not subtle either.. but I can take a hint when I am not wanted..I cant imagine you being banned mantra.. I am worse than you...it must be a very touchy mod thats all I can say...

if the mods dont like something why dont they delete it??...I know if I was a mod and something upset a person I would love to be able to delete that remark/pic..

some things are so uncalled for....I dont care if someone doesnt like what I post.. that to me is their problem...I dont read so many on here.. I am flat out having achat these days....boy I tread on toes dont I?.....

you are no where near as bad as me mantra...

and if we cannot talk about things we disagree on without being nasty then thats bloody sad.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #34 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 11:54am

cods wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 11:39am:
if the mods dont like something why dont they delete it??...I know if I was a mod and something upset a person I would love to be able to delete that remark/pic..

That would be the easiest solution, but it depends on the personality of the sub-forum moderator. If they dislike you, it doesn't matter how mild your comment might be - they will find a way to get rid of you. That's their prerogative.

Quote:
some things are so uncalled for....I dont care if someone doesnt like what I post.. that to me is their problem...I dont read so many on here.. I am flat out having achat these days....boy I tread on toes dont I?.....

We all tread on toes at times - intentionally or unintentionally. Just imagine how boring a forum would be if we didn't.

Quote:
and if we cannot talk about things we disagree on without being nasty then thats bloody sad.

Some people find it impossible not to be nasty. It's part of their DNA and if they haven't learnt to tone it down a bit by the time they become mature adults - they never will.

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #35 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 8:32pm

thats interesting.... I thought I was banned from tavern....but maybe not...I
is andrei still with us do you know?....as a mod I mean...

I am cods.
Sadly my time is quite limited at the moment due to considerable workload - plus i am about to go on 10 day summer break in Portugal with the family! Smiley

Nonetheless i still pop in now and again

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #36 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 8:45pm

freediver wrote on Aug 14th, 2014 at 12:36pm:
Does this have anything to do with the rules for banning from member run boards?

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 7:19am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Aug 17th, 2014 at 8:32pm:

I am cods.
Sadly my time is quite limited at the moment due to considerable workload - plus i am about to go on 10 day summer break in Portugal with the family! Smiley

happy holiday to you.. are you going to Madeira?.

I guess that means we can play up for 10 more days.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 7:25am

mantra wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 11:54am:
wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 11:39am:

That would be the easiest solution, but it depends on the personality of the sub-forum moderator. If they dislike you, it doesn't matter how mild your comment might be - they will find a way to get rid of you. That's their prerogative.

I guess your right...I find the mods few and far between of late...not complaining as I dont really have that many complaints..

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #39 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 8:50am

cods wrote on Aug 18th, 2014 at 7:19am:

I am cods.

Alvor in the Algarve.

I am sure the other Moderators have it well in hand cods.... Smiley

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 9:18am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Aug 18th, 2014 at 8:50am:
cods wrote on Aug 18th, 2014 at 7:19am:

I am cods.

Alvor in the Algarve.

very nice.....my daughter has inlaws in Madeira and spent Xmas last year there...they party hard...

I am sure the other Moderators have it well in hand cods.... Smiley

what other moderates???...lol.. I have lost the faith.. Cry Cry

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #41 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 9:24am

Personally speaking I quite like this forum for its low key moderation.

Far better than the ones that over-moderate and end up so boring and members leave in droves.

They end up like a grandmas afternoon tea club.

Boring as crap in my opinion

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 11:18am

freediver wrote on Oct 4th, 2011 at 11:31am:
It is possible for me to ban members from individual boards, but it is a complicated process. So please follow this procedure. Temporary bans will not be given, so use all other avenues first.

For all members:

Please follow the instructions of board moderators. If you don't like them, cease to use the board. This is the most powerful mechanism you have to handle poor board management. You may of course complain to the mod publicly or privately, but give it up if it is not achieving anything. If they ask you to stop posting on the board, stop posting on the board. If you refuse to follow their instructions, you will be blocked from the board and also suspended from the whole forum.

For board moderators:

1) Warn the member via PM and then publicly that they are breaking the rules.

2) If they persist in being disruptive, send them a PM notifying them that they are banned from the board. Include a link to this post so that they are aware of the ban and my expectations of them under this procedure. CC a copy of this PM to me. At this stage the member is expected to voluntarily refrain from using the board.

3) If they continue to post, advise them publicly that they are banned, or refer them to their PM from you if you want to be more subtle. This is in case they don't read their PMs.

4) If they continue to post, PM me with a link to their public warning and where they posted afterwards, and quotes. I will put in an appropriate ban at that stage. This could be a ban from the board, from the section or from the entire forum.

I will not ban people from individual party boards. On the first offence you will be banned from the entire section (currently 6 boards) or from the entire forum.

For member run boards, I have traditionally banned people from individual boards first, then from the entire section. I will continue this for the moment.

If the 'offence' is particularly nasty the member will be banned or suspended from the entire forum.

The point of this process, and the member run boards in general, is to reduce the workload on myself and the other global mods. I expect the board mods to make a reasonable effort to handle and diffuse a problem themselves before asking for a ban. I do not want the board mods to use bans as part of any personal disagreements.

That's strange, FD. You ban people simply for posting in "moderator's" boards. Your rules, however, state that they should be based on breaking rules, not merely having the temerity to post there.

You won't reply, of course. You've banned people and deleted their comments for simply exposing this ruse.

Kunning, no?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #43 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 2:18am

Mattyfisk wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 11:18am:
It is possible for me to ban members from individual boards, but it is a complicated process. So please follow this procedure. Temporary bans will not be given, so use all other avenues first.

For all members:

Please follow the instructions of board moderators. If you don't like them, cease to use the board. This is the most powerful mechanism you have to handle poor board management. You may of course complain to the mod publicly or privately, but give it up if it is not achieving anything. If they ask you to stop posting on the board, stop posting on the board. If you refuse to follow their instructions, you will be blocked from the board and also suspended from the whole forum.

For board moderators:

2) If they persist in being disruptive, send them a PM notifying them that they are banned from the board. Include a link to this post so that they are aware of the ban and my expectations of them under this procedure. CC a copy of this PM to me. At this stage the member is expected to voluntarily refrain from using the board.

3) If they continue to post, advise them publicly that they are banned, or refer them to their PM from you if you want to be more subtle. This is in case they don't read their PMs.

4) If they continue to post, PM me with a link to their public warning and where they posted afterwards, and quotes. I will put in an appropriate ban at that stage. This could be a ban from the board, from the section or from the entire forum.

I will not ban people from individual party boards. On the first offence you will be banned from the entire section (currently 6 boards) or from the entire forum.

For member run boards, I have traditionally banned people from individual boards first, then from the entire section. I will continue this for the moment.

If the 'offence' is particularly nasty the member will be banned or suspended from the entire forum.

The point of this process, and the member run boards in general, is to reduce the workload on myself and the other global mods. I expect the board mods to make a reasonable effort to handle and diffuse a problem themselves before asking for a ban. I do not want the board mods to use bans as part of any personal disagreements.

That's strange, FD. You ban people simply for posting in "moderator's" boards. Your rules, however, state that they should be based on breaking rules, not merely having the temerity to post there.

You won't reply, of course. You've banned people and deleted their comments for simply exposing this ruse.

Kunning, no?

It's more complicated Karnal. The forum software only allows banning from one subforum at a time, I found this out by adding a member to the banned list for another subforum when they were already banned from another and discovered that bans them from posting anywhere, they can log in and send and receive PMs but that's it. So that is when I started to impose the forum wide bans for ignoring subforum mods requests not to post in their forum. There really is no other way to deter people from not following subforum mods rulings.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 3:59pm

Setanta wrote on Dec 2nd, 2017 at 2:18am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 11:18am:

For all members:

For board moderators:

Kunning, no?

It's more complicated Karnal. The forum software only allows banning from one subforum at a time, I found this out by adding a member to the banned list for another subforum when they were already banned from another and discovered that bans them from posting anywhere, they can log in and send and receive PMs but that's it. So that is when I started to impose the forum wide bans for ignoring subforum mods requests not to post in their forum. There really is no other way to deter people from not following subforum mods rulings.

They only moderate these boards, Setanta. Why not ban them for breaching actual rules rather than simply posting?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print