Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Complaints about the mod in the Atheism Sub Forum (Read 15001 times)
NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Complaints about the mod in the Atheism Sub Forum
Reply #15 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 1:06pm

Sappho wrote on Jul 24th, 2011 at 1:00pm:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 24th, 2011 at 12:49pm:
Sappho... You are testing my faith in my fellow atheists  Wink

I'm not stopping Yadda from using religious text, I'm saying that it must come with discussion to explain it being there, or that it must be used as a justification of claims being made. But stand alone religious text which speaks more to righteousness than it does to the meaning of God, which surely is more encompassing than that, looks like and feels like preaching.

Such things you say, madame!

Yadda is an articulate and reasonable person who is more than capable of clarity.

Patronising conceals contempt.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #16 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 1:07pm

Sappho... You are testing my faith in my fellow atheists  Wink

Ditto!

That said, I'm not across the history - and it may be that many warnings were issued against Psalm-Bot antics...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #17 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 1:07pm

Sappho... You are testing my faith in my fellow atheists  Wink

I'm not stopping Yadda from using religious text, I'm saying that it must come with discussion to explain it being there, or that it must be used as a justification of claims being made. But stand alone religious text which speaks more to righteousness than it does to the meaning of God, which surely is more encompassing than that, looks like and feels like preaching.

Moreover, just because we can assume it's purpose does not mean it was put there for that assumed purpose. Clarity gentlemen. That's what I'm after and Yadda is an articulate and reasonable person who is more than capable of clarity.

Sappho,

Thank you for giving that clarification.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 1:11pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 24th, 2011 at 12:54pm:
Ironic that the most strident of moderators are you, Sappho, and Abu...

Absolutes stand at the ends of an arc... Leaning towards each other.

So you would prefer that the religious be allowed speak with biblical text rather than their own voice or a mix of the two? You would rather that such matters, so deeply held, rely on assumptions which can be well intended or not? You would like to see the religious who use only text suffer sacrilege at the hands of those with ill intended assumptions because the former failed to clarify their intent to the latter? 

This is as much for his benefit as it is for the boards benefit. If you haven't noticed, when people jump to ill conceived conclusions, they start shooting off at the mouth about things irrelevant to the real intent of the original poster. And that is disheartening for the original poster and the board in general. 

The more clarity we give to our intent, the less trolling and flaming that will result on what is a topic for all concerned held with great meaning and feeling.

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 1:15pm

Sappho wrote on Jul 24th, 2011 at 1:11pm:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 24th, 2011 at 12:54pm:
Ironic that the most strident of moderators are you, Sappho, and Abu...

Absolutes stand at the ends of an arc... Leaning towards each other.

So you would prefer that the religious be allowed speak with biblical text rather than their own voice or a mix of the two?

No, I'm just not bothered by it any more. I never read them anyway.

You would rather that such matters, so deeply held, rely on assumptions which can be well intended or not? You would like to see the religious who use only text suffer sacrilege at the hands of those with ill intended assumptions because the former failed to clarify their intent to the latter?  

I cannot save people from themselves... And neither can you.

And I no longer presume to think that I can.

This is as much for his benefit as it is for the boards benefit.

So... You're "only making plans for Nigel" ?  Wink

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 1:55pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 24th, 2011 at 1:15pm:
You would rather that such matters, so deeply held, rely on assumptions which can be well intended or not? You would like to see the religious who use only text suffer sacrilege at the hands of those with ill intended assumptions because the former failed to clarify their intent to the latter?  

We are not talking about saving people from themselves. We are talking about protecting people in general from those who are the lowest form of forumite. That means acting in accordance with the rules. No point stirring up a bitch storm because flaming has been introduced, if the person I am defending does not abide by the rules and ensure their intent is known.

Moreover, if we want for a flame free, troll free space in which to discuss these heart felt things, then I have to follow those rules and I depend of others doing likewise.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 2:06pm

Sappho wrote on Jul 24th, 2011 at 1:55pm:

We are not talking about saving people from themselves. We are talking about protecting people in general from those who are the lowest form of forumite.

Are you saying Yadda has gone, within an hour from being, in your mind, (quote) an articulate and reasonable person (unquote) to (quote) the lowest form of forumite (unquote) ?

Did your previous patronising conceal your contempt for Yadda?

IP Logged

Life_goes_on
Gold Member

400kms south of Yobsville, Qld
Reply #22 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 2:48pm

Quote:
Moreover, if we want for a flame free, troll free space in which to discuss these heart felt things, then I have to follow those rules and I depend of others doing likewise.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with aggressive moderating as long as the rules are plainly defined and available to everybody.

"You're just one lucky motherf-cker" - Someone, 5th February 2013

Num num num num.

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 9:12pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 24th, 2011 at 2:06pm:

We are not talking about saving people from themselves. We are talking about protecting people in general from those who are the lowest form of forumite.

Are you saying Yadda has gone, within an hour from being, in your mind, (quote) an articulate and reasonable person (unquote) to (quote) the lowest form of forumite (unquote) ?

No. I'm not saying that at all and quite frankly, I think that is pretty obvious. You cannot be reasonable on the one hand and the lowest form of forumite on the other. It doesn't make sense. Also, there were two classes of people identified in that sentence; people in general and the lowest form of forumite. So if it is that Yadda has already been tagged as reasonable, then he cannot be the lowest form of forumite and therefore must belong to that other class which was people in general. Moreover, if you read my response in context with the previous responses instead of reading it as a stand alone statement, there is no way that Yadda can be confused with the lowest forum of forumite.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #24 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 9:30pm

Sappho wrote on Jul 24th, 2011 at 9:12pm:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 24th, 2011 at 2:06pm:

No. I'm not saying that at all and quite frankly, I think that is pretty obvious. You cannot be reasonable on the one hand and the lowest form of forumite on the other. It doesn't make sense. Also, there were two classes of people identified in that sentence; people in general and the lowest form of forumite. So if it is that Yadda has already been tagged as reasonable, then he cannot be the lowest form of forumite and therefore must belong to that other class which was people in general. Moreover, if you read my response in context with the previous responses instead of reading it as a stand alone statement, there is no way that Yadda can be confused with the lowest forum of forumite.  

Jawohl Meine Dame Grin

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 9:57pm

Life_goes_on wrote on Jul 24th, 2011 at 2:48pm:
Quote:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with aggressive moderating as long as the rules are plainly defined and available to everybody.

Ah... The Nazis.

IP Logged

fckliberal

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - May 6th, 2013 at 8:35pm

good sh*t

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #27 - May 6th, 2013 at 8:44pm

Complaints about the mod in the Atheism Sub Forum

No surprise that he dosn't believe in you.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #28 - May 6th, 2013 at 10:16pm

"If god doesn't exist, everything is permitted - Dostoyevsky" - so how can you have complaints on an atheist forum??

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #29 - May 9th, 2013 at 7:01pm

Soren wrote on May 6th, 2013 at 10:16pm:
"If god doesn't exist, everything is permitted - Dostoyevsky" - so how can you have complaints on an atheist forum??

If a moral code doesn't exist, everything is permitted.  - Not Dostoyevsky, but still true.

You gotta love those lightning strikes when people do what is not permitted though.

Quote:
We dont know if every person perceives colors in the same way. Big Deal.
muso 2013

I love the sleight of hand. Atheism doesn't include a moral code, so no Atheists have a moral code.

It's about as logical as saying that coffee itself doesn't contain sugar, so coffee drinkers must drink coffee without sugar.  If you add a moral system to Atheism, it's no longer Atheism. It's Humanism - meh!

If you add sugar to coffee, it becomes a mixture of coffee and sugar. It's no longer coffee.

Pssst - Dostoyevsky exaggerated, and I'll tell you something else -  He knew that he was exaggerating.  Wink
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2013 at 7:21pm by muso »  

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print