Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
FATTER than fat (Read 6599 times)
Maqqa
Gold Member

14% - that low?!

FATTER than fat
Jul 10th, 2011 at 12:16am

http://www.news.com.au/national/its-not-ok-to-discriminate-stephanie-payne-speak...

A "FATTER than fat" mother of four says she's sick of fellow commuters who abuse her for being obese.

Stephanie Payne, 31, who once weighed 243kg, said she had been the victim of countless unprovoked, hurtful attacks from passengers.

Ms Payne said she caught an early train so she could have a seat without being abused.

Fellow passengers have called her a "fat pig", sometimes in front of her children.

"It happens to me all the time and up until this point I've put up with it," she said.

"When people tease me, it makes me feel isolated, like I don't have the right to catch a train."

Ms Payne said she should not be forced to buy a second ticket because she took up more room than other passengers.

She listens to music to avoid hearing the taunts from other passengers.

"I am constantly picked on and bullied for no other reason other than the fact that I am overweight," Ms Payne said.

Ms Payne now weighs 180kg after lap-band surgery and a fitness program.

Breaking point was reached last week when she was abused by commuters waiting at North Melbourne station.

Writing in her blog, she complained that mX regularly published derogatory comments about overweight people on public transport.

"It seems by them running these opinions, it has given some members of the public the idea that it's OK to attack a fat person," Ms Payne wrote.

Public Transport Minister Terry Mulder said: "People need to be conscious of the needs of their fellow passengers and treat them with basic courtesy and respect."

V/Line spokesman James Kelly said people abused by other passengers should raise the issue with the conductor.

"We would always encourage appropriate standards of behaviour from passengers to each other," Mr Kelly said.

"It's not up to other passengers to determine what right anyone else has to travel on public transport."

Bill 14% is not the alcohol content of that wine. It's your poll number

IP Logged

Maqqa
Gold Member

14% - that low?!

Re: FATTER than fat
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 12:17am

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/passengers-too-fat-to-fly-ordeal/story-e6frfq...

Airline says it's "tough" dealing with fat fliers
    Women were told they were "too fat to fly"
    Airline has apologised over the incident

SOUTHWEST Airlines has apologised for telling two women they were "too fat to fly" but says its obese passengers policy can lead to "tough" conversations.

Passengers Kenlie Tiggeman and her mother Joan Charpentier were furious after being singled out by a Southwest employee because of their weight on a stopover at Dallas Airport last month.

The airline has admitted that the situation was not handled appropriately and has contacted the passengers to offer a "heartfelt apology".

"Southwest Airlines apologised to both customers for the manner in which we addressed the situation," a Southwest spokeswoman said.

"We expect our employees to treat customers with respect and address any issues with the utmost discretion."

The airline insists that its "Customers of size" policy - which states passengers need to buy a second seat if they cannot fit between the armrest - is important for the comfort of all passengers but admits that conversations with overweight fliers can be difficult.

"Our employees do their best to have these tough conversations on behalf of the comfort and safety of all customers onboard our flights."

The airline admits on this occasion the policy was not applied consistently on all legs of the trip, however it says it stands by the 25-year-old policy.

Ms Tiggeman relived the "humiliating" incident on her blog, telling how the situation developed into a 45-minute confrontation over the airline's weight restrictions in front of other passengers.

"I asked him what the weight restrictions were and he said that he didn't know, just that we were too heavy to fly,” Ms Tiggeman said. “Too fat to fly."

The women say during the public stoush with the Southwest employee he even told them they could board the plane but only if they sat next to a third overweight person in a row.

A supervisor eventually intervened and they were able to board their flight without any special conditions.

Southwest has already taken flack over the policy with high-profile and sizeable film director Kevin Smith also told he was too fat to fly.

Bill 14% is not the alcohol content of that wine. It's your poll number

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 11:33am

They'd beter get used to it.  When resources become more scarce, the sort of over-indulgence that these greedy pigs partake in will be unacceptable.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 8:34pm

The current rules encourage people to pack heavy, dense items in carry on luggage and their person to save money. This is not good, especially if you hit bad turbulence.

When you front up to the counter, both you and your luggage should be weighed. You should pay a fixed price for the seat (or two if that is what you need), and a price per kilo of total weight on top of that, to cover extra fuel consumption etc.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 9:22pm

freediver wrote on Jul 15th, 2011 at 8:34pm:
The current rules encourage people to pack heavy, dense items in carry on luggage and their person to save money. This is not good, especially if you hit bad turbulence.

When you front up to the counter, both you and your luggage should be weighed. You should pay a fixed price for the seat (or two if that is what you need), and a price per kilo of total weight on top of that, to cover extra fuel consumption etc.

Hardly.
That's extreme.

You can't make a person pay more just because they weigh more.

Come on, the extra fuel consumption is negligable and doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things - particularly when you consider the weight of the cargo that goes on with you.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 9:50pm

Quote:

Come on, the extra fuel consumption is negligable and doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things - particularly when you consider the weight of the cargo that goes on with you.

A healthy weight range would be between 70 and 100 Kg (at a generous guess). If everybody weighed 250 that's a big difference. It costs them more to eat, buy clothes and get around, (they obviously don't walk much) so it's okay, they're used to paying more.  Grin

"It is in the shelter of each other that the people live" - Irish Proverb

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 10:05pm

Quote:

Why not? They charge by the kilo for excess  baggage.

Quote:

Maybe I just pack lightly, but I can't remember my luggage ever weighing more than myself.

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 11:21pm

Some people are overweight due to medical conditions and I have every sympathy for them, however there are those who are obese due to laziness and over indulgence and sitting next to these on a plane is something no one should be subject to.  Therefore I see no reason they should not be charged for an extra seat.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

nairbe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rural NSW
Reply #8 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 5:05pm

Well, well well, isn't this just a little meeting of bigots. What is it next time Maqqa little girls with crossed eyes.

You should be embarrassed at how low you will go for attention. Opinion like this is the worst. Those that have a compulsion to eat for what ever reasons need help and empathy. Clearly you have no such understanding and empathy for your fellow man.

Onya.

"Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage."
Confucius

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 5:25pm

maqqa's a simpleton, but that's no excuse for humiliating disabled people.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 6:26pm

So you think we should subsidise air travel for fat people so as not to cause offence?

IP Logged

hawil
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 7:01pm

Reply #8 - Today at 5:05pm     Well, well well, isn't this just a little meeting of bigots. What is it next time Maqqa little girls with crossed eyes.
Nairne, in some respect I agree with you, but sitting next to someone with a weight of 150kg plus on a long flight can be sheer hell.
I'am no expert on obesity, but during the last war in Europe, there were hardly any oveweight people, never mind obese, so medical conditions cannot play such a great role in obesity.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2011 at 8:02pm by hawil »  

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 7:09pm

freediver wrote on Jul 16th, 2011 at 6:26pm:
So you think we should subsidise air travel for fat people so as not to cause offence?

It might be time for airlines to install bigger seats for bigger people. The western world are getting heavier by the minute whilst the poor nations are dying of hunger by the second. The airline companies might have to make allowances for social change.

It's a takeaway fast food world we live in. Healthy eating is not going to take over any time soon if McDoanalds have their way.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

what_katy_did

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 7:49pm

I find it interesting the number of 'fat-haters' on public message boards.

Of course, no fat people sit on their asses using the internet to post opinions on forums, it's only skinny 'beautiful people' that do that.

Nevermind that over 50% of the adult population of Australia is overweight or obese - none of them are here of course!

Did anyone bother to read this woman's blog?  She's doing some good stuff raising money for cancer research. 

More than many are doing.

"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former..."    Albert Einstein
kate_did_what  
IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #14 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 7:59pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jul 16th, 2011 at 5:25pm:
maqqa's a simpleton, but that's no excuse for humiliating disabled people.

maqqas a tryhard fascist dictator: a bit like
Tony 'gutless' Abbott!  Grin Grin

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print