Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
The Good Life - Atheist Style (Read 9016 times)
muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Re: The Good Life - Atheist Style
Reply #30 - Jul 17th, 2011 at 11:02am

Yadda wrote on Jul 17th, 2011 at 2:15am:

The Good Life - Atheist Style

Let me, as an 'outside' observer, try to define this atheist utopian 'ideal'.     Grin

It is a life where we have a freedom to behave as we wish, without restraint.

But where nothing bad ever happens to anyone.

And nothing bad ever happens to anyone, because we [all of us atheists] all know how to 'behave', without doing anything wrong.

How'd i do ????     hehe

I don't think there is such a thing as an all-encompassing "atheistic" way of life. It's like saying that there is an all-encompassing religious way of life, where religion = Christianity or Islam or Buddhism or take your pick.

Some people might classify me as atheistic in that I don't have a personal God who watches over me and to whom I report and say "please God make my life good" and "please God, deal with those people whom I think are bad" and "please God, let the tax man overlook my slight indiscretions" every day.

In fact your erroneous argument might just as easily be applied to Deists or just about any other religion which doesn't have an interventionist god.

- and by the way, my life is anything but unrestrained. In some respects it is just as restrained as that of the most devout Christian, and judging from some of the pants-down evangelicals, probably a lot more so.  

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #31 - Jul 17th, 2011 at 11:07am

Well Muso .. some may argue that you are not a practising Atheist .. but a nominal one Smiley

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #32 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 8:11am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 17th, 2011 at 2:45am:
Yadda wrote on Jul 17th, 2011 at 2:15am:

The Good Life - Atheist Style

Let me, as an 'outside' observer, try to define this atheist utopian 'ideal'.     Grin

It is a life where we have a freedom to behave as we wish, without restraint.

But where nothing bad ever happens to anyone.

And nothing bad ever happens to anyone, because we [all of us atheists] all know how to 'behave', without doing anything wrong.

How'd i do ????     hehe

About as dimwitted a response as could be expected...

George W Bush is a Christian isn't he? Seems his Christian values didn't stop him advancing a lie to make war when it was not necessary... Killing untold thousands of innocents... A crime for which his Christian-centric compatriots seem unwilling to make him accountable for.

Funny how they're so resolute when a President is caught up in a sex cover-up... But no worries when it comes to a President lying and causing the death of innocents.

helian,

It seems to me that you have a conveniently bad memory, when having a bad memory suits your purpose....

In this forum, on many occasions, i have condemned the duplicity of world leaders like the 'Christian' G'Dubya, and leaders like Blair, and Howard.

"muslims significantly increase terrorist risks"
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1249728748/31#31
Quote:

G'Dubya, and Tony Blair, were never my men.

People, 'leaders', like G'Dubya disgust me.

They have their own agenda.

They have betrayed the principles stated within the USA constitution, on which the USA was founded.

"All Terrorists are Muslims"
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1297976706/71#71
Quote:

IMO, your assessment is essentially correct.

IMO, people like G'Dubya, Blair, and Howard, all chose to justify what were essentially criminal acts.

IMO, the invasion of Iraq [mkII], was an unjustified criminal act.

My response, to your accusations, and condemnation of Christianity...

Is the Pope a Catholic, AND, is G'Dubya a Christian ???

Is the evil which has been committed by people like Howard, Tony Blair, and G'Dubya [by collectively, intentionally, deceiving their own peoples], condoned by the right principles, of loving liberty and of loving justice and truth [which helped in guiding the formation of their respective nations] ???

No.

People like Howard, Tony Blair, and G'Dubya [and successive recent US administrations], have always done 'what is right in their own eyes'.

Our 'leaders', our 'examples', are self-serving corrupted men, one and all.

And imo, they are all true representatives of the majority of the people who raised them to their positions of leadership over us.

It is we who are the whore(s), THEY, just represent us, what we are.

Google,
"Saudi money" president Carter Center

Google,
"Saudi money" Bush Presidential Library

Google,
"Saudi money" president Clinton Foundation

Google,
"Tony Blair" "United Nations" peace job

Psalms 14:2
The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.
3  They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

"Is Homophobia A Mental Illness"
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1298920921/16#16
Quote:

PROPOSITION...
If there is no God, then good and evil are meaningless concepts, except as they are defined by society, and/or by ourselves.
Logically, if we can ignore, evade, the rules of our society, then we ourselves [within our own 'sphere of influence'] can become the absolute arbiters of what is good and evil.
[i.e. we become like God, we make ourselves God.  2 Thessalonians 2:3-4 "...shewing himself that he is God."]

......On another forum, someone suggested that [because of my expressed belief's] i must be a crazy person.
Are you a 'normal' person?
Today, many [supposedly] 'normal', sane people, demonstrate that they have a personal ethos, which does not include any concept of GOOD and EVIL.
Today, many [supposedly] 'normal', sane people have personal 'values' which not include any concept of self-restraint.

Look all over the world, at the type of leaders 'normal' people have chosen, and have elected to power, in recent years.
Tony Blair, GW Bush, Obama, Silvio Berlusconi, Vladimir Putin, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Hamid Karzai, etc

It is wonderful, isn't it!
Being 'normal'.
/sarc off

I'm so glad that many people consider that i am not 'normal'.

« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2011 at 8:18am by Yadda »  

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #33 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 8:26am

And yet Dubya claims guidance from the Bible.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #34 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 9:06am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 18th, 2011 at 8:26am:

Mugabe the 'Christian' holding up a Bible.

helian,

Sure Mugabe is a Christian too.
/sarc off

He's holding up a Bible, which shows his reverence for it.

Doesn't it ???

+++

Psalms 15:1
LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?
2  He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.
3  He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.
4  In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the LORD. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #35 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 9:20am

1 John 3:7
Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

John 8:34
Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

Romans 6:16
Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

John 8:44
Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
45  And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.
46  Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?
47  He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.
48  Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil?
49  Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #36 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 11:12pm

Yadda wrote on Jul 18th, 2011 at 9:06am:

http://www.freethinker.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/mubible.jpg
Mugabe the 'Christian' holding up a Bible.

helian,

Sure Mugabe is a Christian too.
/sarc off

He's holding up a Bible, which shows his reverence for it.

Doesn't it ???

Maybe it does, Yadda. What makes you think his take on the Bible is the wrong one?

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #37 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 11:17pm

Yadda wrote on Jul 18th, 2011 at 9:20am:

Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
8  He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

He's Dubya, Yadda... He'd have an army of theologians available to him to confirm his interpretation of Christian theology... He'd even have access to a few Catholic theological storm troopers, the Jesuits, to prop him up... What if they've got the mortgage on the theological righteousness of lying to justify the means? Wouldn't be hard for a Christian storm trooper.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #38 - Jul 19th, 2011 at 10:00am

freediver wrote on Jul 15th, 2011 at 8:25pm:
For example, you take the time to go to the toilet, rather than crapping on the footpath, even in situations where you would not get caught.

But how does using a toilet disadvantage 'my own'?  It'd be more of a disavnatge if I should be arrested and/or fined for having a dump in public don't you think?

Another example please.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #39 - Jan 7th, 2023 at 7:37pm

Sappho wrote on Jul 7th, 2011 at 2:53pm:
What is the Good Life? And once we know it, or think we know it, or have a compelling opinion upon it, how to we seek it?

A good life is a life that is 'stress' free.

...oh and a bed with naked wonder woman in it.  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

AusGeoff
Gold Member

Sage of Gippsland

Victoria
Reply #40 - Jan 7th, 2023 at 7:55pm

Yadda wrote on Jul 18th, 2011 at 9:20am:
8  He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

John 8:34
Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

Romans 6:16
Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

John 8:44
Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
45  And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.
46  Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?
47  He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.
48  Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil?
49  Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me.

Mate... can I ask you why you repeatedly post this sort of drivel
as some sort of bizarre response to a meaningful debate?

Citing a dark ages book of fantasy fiction is pointless in a scientifically
enlightened 21st century, and surely you must be aware of this?  And
it doesn't have any relevance to the topic of atheistic lifestyle.  I know
that religious zealots will never understand that atheists don't for a
moment believe in the existence of supernatural entities ('gods') and/or
paranormal phenomenon ('miracles'), but both concepts are truly ludicrous.

I think you need to take your god-bothering elsewhere.      Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #41 - Jan 7th, 2023 at 9:21pm

The Religions of the Middle-East gave poor people something to believe in, like - life after death.
Especially when the Military gave them death quite a lot.
Religion kinda softened the blow for the poor at the back of the head, where that special gland excretes its 'calming effect' upon that moment of dying.  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #42 - Jan 7th, 2023 at 9:23pm

AusGeoff wrote on Jan 7th, 2023 at 7:55pm:
Mate... can I ask you why you repeatedly post this sort of drivel
as some sort of bizarre response to a meaningful debate?

Citing a dark ages book of fantasy fiction is pointless in a scientifically
enlightened 21st century, and surely you must be aware of this?  And
it doesn't have any relevance to the topic of atheistic lifestyle.  I know
that religious zealots will never understand that atheists don't for a
moment believe in the existence of supernatural entities ('gods') and/or
paranormal phenomenon ('miracles'), but both concepts are truly ludicrous.

I think you need to take your god-bothering elsewhere.      Roll Eyes

Underneath all that selfless evangelical fervour is the belief the more 'souls you save' the closer to the celestial throne you'll be seated on the great day you attain your reward.
On the other side there's the seldom discussed discipline of modern biblical studies, a great deal of which is undertaken by agnostics . Or to put it another way 'The things that you're lible to read in the bible it aint necessarily so.Bishop John Shelby Spong is worth reading on this.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #43 - Jan 7th, 2023 at 9:26pm

Every Christian in Australia is 'Down Under' in Hell.  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #44 - Jan 7th, 2023 at 10:06pm

The perceived Good Life changes at different stages. Towards the end, it has no meaning at all.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print