Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
PJs magical theories about Darwin (Read 4859 times)
pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: PJs magical theories about Darwin
Reply #15 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 3:46pm

No link. No reference. No surprise.

FD: no brain, no clue, no argument.

To elaborate; I told you the author and the publication, how can you say there was no reference? Also how can I provide a link when it can only be found in a magazine (there is nothing stopping you going to your local newsagent and looking it up).

Was this 'paper' in fishing monthly magazine?

I just told you it was in a monthly fishing magazine (the article not the scientific paper it quoted).

It appears to be stating the obvious.

So you agree your previous contentionswere overblown?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 4:39pm

Quote:

No PJ. I have not read the article. Neither have you. All you have read is an article about the article. All I have read is your interpretation of an article about an article. All I can tell from that is that it appears to be stating the obvious. You have a curious habit of reading odd things between the lines and jumping to conclusions.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 4:59pm

] Quote:

No PJ. I have not read the article. Neither have you. All you have read is an article about the article. All I have read is your interpretation of an article about an article.

I have paraphased it - quite accurately. There is nothing stopping you going to the newsagent and reading it and I can't help the fact that there is no link (I don't really feel like typing out the whole article). 

All I can tell from that is that it appears to be stating the obvious. You have a curious habit of reading odd things between the lines and jumping to conclusions.

In this thread and elsewhere you have made a whole theme about genetic changes related to the so called failure of size limits/ conventional fisheries management - are you now backing away from it?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 5:05pm

Why would I go to the trouble of buying a magazine for an article about an article that merely states the obvious?

Quote:
In this thread and elsewhere you have made a whole theme about genetic changes related to the so called failure of size limits/ conventional fisheries management - are you now backing away from it?

No PJ. Any effect is going to be stronger in a setting where you deliberately control for it. This is stating the obvious and by itself says nothing at all about the extent in the wild. Sorry for bursting your bubble. Maybe next month you can 'accurately paraphrase' an article about an article that actually means something.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 5:21pm

freediver wrote on Oct 16th, 2011 at 5:05pm:
No PJ. Any effect is going to be stronger in a setting where you deliberately control for it. This is stating the obvious and by itself says nothing at all about the extent in the wild. Sorry for bursting your bubble. Maybe next month you can 'accurately paraphrase' an article about an article that actually means something.

But they are looking at what's going on in the wild. To quote directly:

"The authors of the recent study calculated actual rates of growth related genetic changes in fish populations. They found the changes less than might be expected from laboratory experiments. They concluded while human effects on genetics of fish populations should not be ignored, the priority for good fisheries management sould be to control direct effects of fishing to maximise yields and also to protect marine ecosystems". 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #20 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 5:56pm

Sounds pretty sensible to me PJ.

Did they give the actual rates?

Do you realise that minimium sizes do not maximise yields either, even without the genetic level effects?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 7:04pm

Sounds pretty sensible to me PJ.

Then why have you spent pages whining about minimum sizes and genetic effects?

Did they give the actual rates?

There not quoted in the article.

Do you realise that minimium sizes do not maximise yields either, even without the genetic level effects?

A variety of tools are used.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 9:24pm

You are still confused PJ. If you think this article somehow contradicts anything I have said you will need to explain it. All I see is you expecting me to go and buy fishing monthly magazine every time you get a bit overexcited over an article about an article.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Oct 17th, 2011 at 6:19am

]You are still confused PJ. If you think this article somehow contradicts anything I have said you will need to explain it.

Well it does, your just stonewalling or are forgettful. When I made similar remarks you tried to ridicule me - just look at the title of this thread!

All I see is you expecting me to go and buy fishing monthly magazine every time you get a bit overexcited over an article about an article.

You can always have a quick read at the newsagent - or I could email Dr Pepperell and get hold of the paper. If I do that are you just going to go all quiet like on the previous thread?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print