Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Almost half of our species fully or overfished (Read 16090 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Almost half of our species fully or overfished
Jun 7th, 2011 at 9:48pm

http://www.vcc.vic.gov.au/coasttocoastproceedings/BOHM_Craig_paper.pdf

Quote:
Our oceans are in trouble. Three quarters of global fish stocks are fully exploited, over-exploited or depleted and Australia’s Bureau of Rural Sciences has declared that almost half of Australia’s 70 principle fish species are fully fished or overfished.

Meanwhile, fishing pressure continues to increase for many reasons.

What this means is that continually stricter regulations will be necessary as more pressure is put on stocks. It means that the constant cries that our waters are underfished and need no further regulation are unfounded. It also means that the resilience of fish stocks will be put to the test and we risk more of the collapses seen overseas (and here already on several occasions). Catch limits, size limits, TACs etc become increasingly less effective as stocks come under more pressure because none of them can actually prevent overfishing of the remaining stock. If a fish stock collapses a bag limit or TAC is not going to protect the few that remain. Nor can these methods respond to the natural year to year variability in fish numbers and reproductive success. It gets even harder if you expect them to cope with unpredictable changes cascading up and down the food chain as we put more pressure on different trophic levels. Many even make the situation worse. You don't see farmers killing the big cows and returning the runts to the paddock as breeders for next year, but if you listen to the whingers apparently this sort of thing works just fine for our fish stocks and should be encouraged.

So, you get what happened with the snapper stocks in SE QLD. Improvements to sounder technology mean fishermen literally spend more time crusing round in their boats looking for them on the screen than with lines in the water - a reflection both of the improvements in the technology and the impact this has had on stocks. So we had to completely ban snapper fishing for six weeks. Expect more of the same.

What is needed is an inherently resilient method for managing fishing pressure and protecting remaining broodstock that becomes more effective rather than less effective as pressure on stocks increases or stocks drop for any reason.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jason Crowther

Australian Politics

Re: Almost half of our species fully or overfished
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 10:02pm

Quote:
If a fish stock collapses a bag limit or TAC is not going to protect the few that remain. Nor can these methods respond to the natural year to year variability in fish numbers and reproductive success. It gets even harder if you expect them to cope with unpredictable changes cascading up and down the food chain as we put more pressure on different trophic levels. Many even make the situation worse. You don't see farmers killing the big cows and returning the runts to the paddock as breeders for next year, but if you listen to the whingers apparently this sort of thing works just fine for our fish stocks and should be encouraged.

Cheesy

You didn't even look at the WA fisheries report that has fully debunked your above garbage

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2011 at 7:09pm

freediver wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 9:48pm:
http://www.vcc.vic.gov.au/coasttocoastproceedings/BOHM_Craig_paper.pdf

Didn't WA fisheries recently reduce the rec catch by 50% of snapper and duhfish etc by using traditional means?  

PS: good quality sounders have been around for 30 years or more and cruising around with the sounder on is not the most effective way of catching snapper.

What about the displaced commercial effort from the GBRMP? I have heard that is added pressure to snapper stocks in SE Qld.
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2011 at 8:02pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2011 at 8:13pm

What evidence do you have that our fishing effort is increasing when Commowealth boats have been reduced from 1200 to 600? There have been similar or larger reductions by various State fisheries as well. 

What this means is that continually stricter regulations will be necessary as more pressure is put on stocks.

How do you get both at the same time?

It means that the constant cries that our waters are underfished and need no further regulation are unfounded. It also means that the resilience of fish stocks will be put to the test and we risk more of the collapses seen overseas (and here already on several occasions). Catch limits, size limits, TACs etc become increasingly less effective as stocks come under more pressure because none of them can actually prevent overfishing of the remaining stock. If a fish stock collapses a bag limit or TAC is not going to protect the few that remain. Nor can these methods respond to the natural year to year variability in fish numbers and reproductive success.

The main mangement tool used in our waters is input reductions eg limiting the number of boats, the gear they can use closed seasons etc.

It gets even harder if you expect them to cope with unpredictable changes cascading up and down the food chain as we put more pressure on different trophic levels. Many even make the situation worse.

Poorly designed marine parks can lead to adverse changes in species assemblages.

You don't see farmers killing the big cows and returning the runts to the paddock as breeders for next year, but if you listen to the whingers apparently this sort of thing works just fine for our fish stocks and should be encouraged.

Looks like someone else doesn't know the difference between terrestial mammals and fish stocks.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2011 at 10:00pm

Quote:
You didn't even look at the WA fisheries report that has fully debunked your above garbage

How so Jason? Does natural selection work backwards in WA?

Quote:
Didn't WA fisheries recently reduce the rec catch by 50% of snapper and duhfish etc by using traditional means?

So you agree with me - What this means is that continually stricter regulations will be necessary... ?

Quote:

More people wanting to go fishing, and more economic pressure to catch fish, better technology and resources etc. Simple really. That's why we have more fishing regulations and less fish in the ocean than the aborigines did (yes, both at the same time).

Quote:
The main mangement tool used in our waters is input reductions eg limiting the number of boats, the gear they can use closed seasons etc.

These are largely catch-up responses to dwindling catches and other restrictions. There is still over-capacity - more than enough to overharvest stocks if things start to go wrong. Cuts to number of boats are largely a political response to the historical mismanagement or changes to technology making fishing licences useless of unprofitable.

Quote:
Poorly designed marine parks can lead to adverse changes in species assemblages.

In your fevered imagination and hypotheticals that have little connection to the real world they can. In reality, they don't.

Quote:
Looks like someone else doesn't know the difference between terrestial mammals and fish stocks.

What is the difference? The theory of natural selection only applies to terrestrial mammals?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 5:34pm

Quote:

So you agree with me - What this means is that continually stricter regulations will be necessary... ?

The point was that Fisheries worked out what reduction was needed to ensure sustainability and did so without the cost, divisiveness and other problems of marine parks. Your the only one saying, in rhetorical flight of fancy, that such restricts will ever tighten.

Quote:

More people wanting to go fishing, and more economic pressure to catch fish, better technology and resources etc. Simple really. That's why we have more fishing regulations and less fish in the ocean than the aborigines did (yes, both at the same time).

In some places it is declining without any regulations, there were more boats of Sydney in the 1980's than there are now. I have also established you didn't know what you were talking about with your depiction of anglers pinging the depths with their unfair high tech depth sounders for the remaining snapper.

Quote:

These are largely catch-up responses to dwindling catches and other restrictions. There is still over-capacity - more than enough to overharvest stocks if things start to go wrong. Cuts to number of boats are largely a political response to the historical mismanagement or changes to technology making fishing licences useless of unprofitable.

Your talking rubbish. Have a look at the Pitcher and Forrest article, specifically:

"Reduction in catches after the initial phase of a fishery is an inevitable part of fishery development and provides no evidence whatsoever as to the sustainability of a fishery".

Quote:

In your fevered imagination and hypotheticals that have little connection to the real world they can. In reality, they don't.

Prof Colin Buxton's review of Tasmanian marine parks found this effect.

Quote:

What is the difference? The theory of natural selection only applies to terrestrial mammals?

Don't keep playing dumb! There is a huge difference as I have explained.
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2011 at 4:44pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2011 at 7:19pm

Quote:
The point was that Fisheries worked out what reduction was needed to ensure sustainability and did so without the cost, divisiveness and other problems of marine parks.

PJ, I never claimed that it is impossible to manage fish stocks without marine parks. All new regulations are divisive, because some people are afraid of change. Our current fisheries management tools were also at one time divisive new suggestions that had all the fishermen whinging. That is not a rational argument against change.

Quote:
Your the only one saying, in rhetorical flight of fancy, that such restricts will ever tighten.

PJ, you are truly naive and out of touch with the realities of the fishing industry if you think they won't get tighter. It is inevitable.

Quote:
I have also established you didn't know what you were talking about with your depiction of anglers pinging the depths with their unfair high tech depth sounders for the remaining snapper.

No you haven't. Can you offer some other explanation for why a complete ban was necessary.

Quote:
Your talking rubbish. Have a look at the Pitcher and Forrest article, specifically:

PJ, can you explain how this is relevant to what I posted?

Quote:

I must have missed that. Can you link me to where you explained how fish are magically protected from the effect of selective pressures?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2011 at 8:21pm

[] Quote:
The point was that Fisheries worked out what reduction was needed to ensure sustainability and did so without the cost, divisiveness and other problems of marine parks.

PJ, I never claimed that it is impossible to manage fish stocks without marine parks. All new regulations are divisive, because some people are afraid of change. Our current fisheries management tools were also at one time divisive new suggestions that had all the fishermen whinging. That is not a rational argument against change.

You claimed that they are the ideal fisheries managment tool didn't you? Are you sure your just not making it up when you refered to the current fisheries mamgement tools were at one time having all fishermen whinging. You don't seem to know much about the current fishing scene let alone 30 or more years ago.

Quote:
Your the only one saying, in rhetorical flight of fancy, that such restricts will ever tighten.

PJ, you are truly naive and out of touch with the realities of the fishing industry if you think they won't get tighter. It is inevitable.

If they are fished at or below maximum sustainable yield then they can be fished at that rate indefinitely. Even if they are overfished sustainability will be reached long before you can fish for snapper one day a year!

Quote:
I have also established you didn't know what you were talking about with your depiction of anglers pinging the depths with their unfair high tech depth sounders for the remaining snapper.

No you haven't. Can you offer some other explanation for why a complete ban was necessary.

Nothing to do with some sort of arms race using echo sounders. PS: it's not a 'total ban', it's a six week closed season. Remember I also said it is debatable whether the closed season is necessary.   

Quote:

PJ, can you explain how this is relevant to what I posted?

Your saying that an increase in restrictions and reduction in catches is a sign of failure and it is inevitable that they will be ever increasing restrictions. The quote debunks that. You might like to read the whole paper. It shows the difference between uniformed advocacy and science.

Quote:

I must have missed that. Can you link me to where you explained how fish are magically protected from the effect of selective pressures?

For a starters there is the fact that fish actually grow faster under fishing pressure. Also there have been some remarkable recoveries when fishing pressure has been wound back eg salmon & kingfish in NSW. Hardly signs of adverse genetic changes.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2011 at 9:18pm

Quote:
Your saying that an increase in restrictions and reduction in catches is a sign of failure and it is inevitable that they will be ever increasing restrictions. The quote debunks that.

No it doesn't. That is just silly PJ. It is a logical fallacy. Saying that it is possible to have a decline in stocks that is not indicative of overfishing does not magically prove that all declines in stocks are healthy.

Quote:
You might like to read the whole paper. It shows the difference between uniformed advocacy and science.

Apparently not.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Jun 14th, 2011 at 6:28pm

] Quote:
Your saying that an increase in restrictions and reduction in catches is a sign of failure and it is inevitable that they will be ever increasing restrictions. The quote debunks that.

No it doesn't. That is just silly PJ. It is a logical fallacy. Saying that it is possible to have a decline in stocks that is not indicative of overfishing does not magically prove that all declines in stocks are healthy.

Aren't you the one saying any new traditional restriction will inevitably result in ever more such restrictions? Don't twist your illogical argument around and throw it back at me.

Quote:
You might like to read the whole paper. It shows the difference between uniformed advocacy and science.

Apparently not. [/quote]

Have you read it? Where do you find fault?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Jun 14th, 2011 at 9:51pm

Quote:
Aren't you the one saying any new traditional restriction will inevitably result in ever more such restrictions?

No.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Jun 15th, 2011 at 5:05pm

freediver wrote on Jun 14th, 2011 at 9:51pm:
Quote:
Aren't you the one saying any new traditional restriction will inevitably result in ever more such restrictions?

No.

Then you have changed you mind since you began this thread.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 8:22pm

I did not imply the causation you did.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 8:30pm

FD, could you tell me what is terribly wrong with a species being fully fished?

PS, is the number of overfished species increasing or declining?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Sep 4th, 2011 at 7:18pm

The number of overfished species is increasing.

Nothing wrong in general with a species being fully fished. It just contradicts the impression many have of underfishing. It also implies that restrictions will need to become tighter as fishing pressure increases - that is, a fully fished species is not far from being overfished. There is a great deal of uncertainty in fisheries management so it is hard to keep on the right side of that line.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #15 - Sep 4th, 2011 at 8:38pm

The number of overfished species is increasing.

No, there not.

Nothing wrong in general with a species being fully fished.

Then why lump them in the same category as overfished? You did that to mislead by giving the impression that overfishing is increasing.

It just contradicts the impression many have of underfishing. It also implies that restrictions will need to become tighter as fishing pressure increases - that is, a fully fished species is not far from being overfished.

Why would the fishing pressure necessarily be increasing. What's wrong with monitoring the fishing pressure and reviewing regulations as opposed to the big stick of marine parks?

There is a great deal of uncertainty in fisheries management so it is hard to keep on the right side of that line. [/quote]

The effectiveness of marine parks aren't certain either.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Sep 4th, 2011 at 8:52pm

Quote:
No, there not.

Well that's a relief. Thanks PJ.

Quote:
Then why lump them in the same category as overfished? You did that to mislead

No PJ. That was Australia’s Bureau of Rural Sciences. Check the OP. It even has a link to where I copied it from.

Quote:
Why would the fishing pressure necessarily be increasing.

Plenty of reasons - like better technology, wealthier recreational fishermen with more time on their hands, higher prices for fish etc.

Perhaps you think that the trend has suddenly stopped? Or perhaps you are not aware of the trend that has been going on for centuries?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 4:48pm

[] Quote:
No, there not.

Well that's a relief. Thanks PJ.

The number of fish species managed by the Commonwealth classified as overfished or subject to overfishing has decreased from a peak of 29% (24 0f 83 stocks) in 2005 to 14.8% (15 of 101 stocks) in 2009. There is also plenty of other evidence of stocks rebounding in government reports.   

Quote:
Then why lump them in the same category as overfished? You did that to mislead

No PJ. That was Australia’s Bureau of Rural Sciences. Check the OP. It even has a link to where I copied it from.

Yes and you saw fit to take it around the block three times without looking in to it properly.

Quote:
Why would the fishing pressure necessarily be increasing.

Plenty of reasons - like better technology, wealthier recreational fishermen with more time on their hands, higher prices for fish etc.

Ha! Haven't you heard of mortgage stress? A lot of people are getting out of boating for this reason. There were more boats at popular fishing spots off Sydney in the 1980's than today. Then there is the trend towards catch and release over numbers kept and to more sporting (and less effective) methods like lure fishing.
PS: the price of fish is dropping due to high AUD - you can't get anything right can you.

Perhaps you think that the trend has suddenly stopped? Or perhaps you are not aware of the trend that has been going on for centuries?

It has certainly stabilised (like our fish stocks).

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 10:27pm

Quote:
Yes and you saw fit to take it around the block three times without looking in to it properly.

No PJ, I merely copied and pasted it. I had no idea you would get so wound up about it.

Quote:
PS: the price of fish is dropping due to high AUD - you can't get anything right can you.

The dollar goes up and down. The trend in fish prices is up. Pinning your hopes on the Aussie dollar remaining high is pretty futile.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 6:40am

1315225650] Quote:

No PJ, I merely copied and pasted it. I had no idea you would get so wound up about it.

Duh, you made a whole theme about conventional fisheries management failing and we need to try something new, ie marine parks.

Quote:

The dollar goes up and down. The trend in fish prices is up. Pinning your hopes on the Aussie dollar remaining high is pretty futile. [/quote]

Other foods are up as well, I would suggest more than fish prices. Trying to make some lefty-green argument about the price of fish is what is futile.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 6:10pm

Looks like even the orange roughy is recovering! I suppose this also escaped FD's attention:

Orange Roughy fish on the rise
Posted September 07, 2011 12:03:01

Stocks of the protected Eastern Orange Roughy fish species are on the rise off the New South Wales far south coast.

A recent survey by the CSIRO has estimated the stock in the currently-closed eastern zone at nearly 50 000 tonnes.

The South East Trawl Fishing Association's Simon Boag says it is an increase of about 13 per cent in four years.

He says the Roughy was overfished, but the fishery is rebuilding.

"We would just see a sustainable catch of Orange Roughy as a small contribution to fish taken from Australian waters," he said.

"Provided you are only taking a small amount of fish that you take for ever and that's fine, slipping a relatively small commercial catch in there isn't an issue if it's done at sustainable levels."

For more, go to the South East News Blog.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #21 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 5:22pm

Hooray! After months of being 'out here' in rural Leeton, I'm about to get back to Jervis Bay for some mcu needed Diving this Saturday. Smiley

Umm, ok - back to the discussion Cheesy

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 7:52pm

Quote:
Ha! Haven't you heard of mortgage stress?

Sure. Are you suggesting this is something new? Just because the term was inveneted recently doesn't mean it didn't exist before.

Quote:
Duh, you made a whole theme about conventional fisheries management failing

I said that it contradicts the claim of underfishing and also that traditional tools become less effective and harder to manage as pressure increases.

Quote:
Other foods are up as well, I would suggest more than fish prices. Trying to make some lefty-green argument about the price of fish is what is futile.

It is basic economics PJ. The higher the price, the more incentive. You don't get people driving round catching a farmers cows or picking his lettuce. The absence of private ownership of fisheries makes them far more susceptible to the influence of market prices.

Quote:
Looks like even the orange roughy is recovering! I suppose this also escaped FD's attention:

So how do you interpret this PJ? That there is nothing wrong and there was no failure of fisheries management? Do you interpret that increasing prices and technological improvements are not increasing the pressure on stocks?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 8:37pm

] Quote:
Ha! Haven't you heard of mortgage stress?

Sure. Are you suggesting this is something new? Just because the term was inveneted recently doesn't mean it didn't exist before.

Please stop ignoring half my statements. I also gave the observation that there were more boats at popular fishing spots of Sydney in the 1980's.

Quote:
Duh, you made a whole theme about conventional fisheries management failing

I said that it contradicts the claim of underfishing and also that traditional tools become less effective and harder to manage as pressure increases.

How is a decline in the number of overfished species and other evidence of rebounding stocks evidence of increasing fishing pressure?

Quote:

It is basic economics PJ. The higher the price, the more incentive.

For a start it's (fisheries) not a free market but a highly regulated one.

You don't get people driving round catching a farmers cows or picking his lettuce.

Very little of our fishing effort could be descibed as of a subsitance nature.

The absence of private ownership of fisheries makes them far more susceptible to the influence of market prices.

Then how does the 'market' cause us to spend 1.7 billion dollars a year importing seafood.?

Quote:

So how do you interpret this PJ? That there is nothing wrong and there was no failure of fisheries management? Do you interpret that increasing prices and technological improvements are not increasing the pressure on stocks?

The failure was a few decades ago. I am talking about the here and now, and the fact that our fishing effort has been reduced substantially. And as evidenced by rebounding stocks.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #24 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 6:26pm

Quote:
Please stop ignoring half my statements.

I am not going to explain why I ignore such personal observations.

Quote:

I said it was economics. I did not say it was a free market. market prices have a significant impact on fishing pressure. Your orange roughy case is a great demonstration of that.

Quote:

I was referring to private ownership, not subsistence.

Quote:
Then how does the 'market' cause us to spend 1.7 billion dollars a year importing seafood.?

Supply and demand.

Quote:
And as evidenced by rebounding stocks.

You have not actually provided that evidence.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 8:35am

[] Quote:
Please stop ignoring half my statements.

I am not going to explain why I ignore such personal observations.

At least it's a real world observation, unlike the fairy tales you began this thread with.

Quote:

I said it was economics. I did not say it was a free market. market prices have a significant impact on fishing pressure. Your orange roughy case is a great demonstration of that.

you can't just blab 'economics' or 'rising fish prices' without demonstrating how this is an overiding factor. In the case of orange roughy it wasn't realised how slow growing they were, and this coupled to the fact that they formed larged spawning agreggations made them suceptable to overfishing. 

Quote:

I was referring to private ownership, not subsistence.

No you were trying to say rising fish prices are making us rush out and catch more fish.

Quote:

Supply and demand.

Wouldn't your 'economics' dictate we just supply it ourselves instead of relying on imports.

Quote:
And as evidenced by rebounding stocks.

You have not actually provided that evidence.

Yes I did. For a start there is the 2008 ABARE report:

According to the Australian government's latest fishery status report the number of fish stocks that have been assessed as not overfished has more than doubled since 2004, and the number of stocks classified as not subject to overfishing has risen from 12 to 57 in that time.
The report currently classifies 13 of Australia's 98 fish stocks as being overfished, including three new additions: blue warehou, upper-slope gulper sharks and jackass morwong. Eight stocks are classified as being subject to overfishing.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #26 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 9:58am

Quote:
you can't just blab 'economics' or 'rising fish prices' without demonstrating how this is an overiding factor

I did not say it was an over-riding factor. I should not have to quote again what I just posted. What I did say should be self evident.

Quote:
No you were trying to say rising fish prices are making us rush out and catch more fish.

No PJ, I was referring to commercial fishermen.

Quote:
Wouldn't your 'economics' dictate we just supply it ourselves instead of relying on imports.

No.

Quote:

You should give the link.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #27 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 11:23am

15612739] Quote:
you can't just blab 'economics' or 'rising fish prices' without demonstrating how this is an overiding factor

I did not say it was an over-riding factor. I should not have to quote again what I just posted. What I did say should be self evident.

Then if its not important then why mention it? You keep making points in your little missives then back away from them when pressed.

Quote:

No PJ, I was referring to commercial fishermen.

And there are less of them catching less fish!

Quote:

No.

How is it of economic benefit then to import most of our seafood?

Quote:

You should give the link. [/quote]

You already have to that report.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #28 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 4:48pm

Quote:
Then if its not important then why mention it?

Likewise, I did not say it is not important. Why is it that just about every argument with you seems to involve and endless stream of your attempts to misrepresent what I say? Why can't you just quote me?

Quote:

The historical trend has always been towards fewer commercial fishermen catching more fish. This trend has not been associated with a decrease in pressure on fish stocks, but an increase. Both trends - fewer commercial fishermen and more pressure on stocks can ultimately be attributed to technological improvements. We see the same trend with farming and many other established industries.

Quote:

I would have to explain microeconomics to get this message across. But there is an answer far more fundamental than economics - Australians want to, and can afford to eat far more high quality seafood than our oceans can sustainably produce.

Quote:
You already have to that report.

PJ I do not know where you got those numbers from. Given your tendency to completely misunderstand these sorts of things I am hardly going to take your word for it. You often criticise me for ignoring things you say, but when I try to pay attention you just lead me on a wild goose chase trying to figure out what you have misunderstood. It is really quite simple - you just provide a link, a quote, and then your interpretation. Your 'interpretation' alone is pretty much useless, unless of course your goal is to mislead people and make it harder for anyone to expose you.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2011 at 5:00pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 6:43pm

] Quote:
Then if its not important then why mention it?

Likewise, I did not say it is not important. Why is it that just about every argument with you seems to involve and endless stream of your attempts to misrepresent what I say? Why can't you just quote me?

I doubt if you even know what your saying half the time.

Quote:

The historical trend has always been towards fewer commercial fishermen catching more fish. This trend has not been associated with a decrease in pressure on fish stocks, but an increase. Both trends - fewer commercial fishermen and more pressure on stocks can ultimately be attributed to technological improvements. We see the same trend with farming and many other established industries.

Rubbish. We are catching less fish due to the sustainability measures of the last decade or so.

Quote:

I would have to explain microeconomics to get this message across. But there is an answer far more fundamental than economics - Australians want to, and can afford to eat far more high quality seafood than our oceans can sustainably produce.

We could easily supply all own own seafood if we wished, what with the 3rd largest EEZ, ideal conditions for aquaculture and small population. 

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #30 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 6:50pm

Quote:
Almost half of our species fully or overfished

We are fish are we? Well that explains Abbott, cold blooded and slippery, slimy. Explains his love of red herrings too.  Grin

"It is in the shelter of each other that the people live" - Irish Proverb

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #31 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 8:10pm

Quote:
We could easily supply all own own seafood if we wished, what with the 3rd largest EEZ, ideal conditions for aquaculture and small population.

So our wild fisheries are not enough, even to just feed ourselves?

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 8:30pm

Lovely good kippers are, why aren't they made out of Australian Salmon? Or herring for that matter, I've made herring kippers in an old wine barrel and couldn't make enough.

http://culturalconcubine.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/kippers-large.jpg

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #33 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 9:23pm

freediver wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 8:10pm:
Quote:

So our wild fisheries are not enough, even to just feed ourselves?

Aquaculture is part of the picture now - why wouldn't it be if we supplied all own seafood?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #34 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 10:54pm

For starters, it is more expensive.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #35 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 8:32am

freediver wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 10:54pm:

Really? You brought up economics. How come fish farmings companies such as Tassal Group are so profitable?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #36 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 9:31am

Here's a reference from the ABC Science website:

Survival of the fishes

By Stephen Pincock
  Feed the world: It is estimated 110 million tonnes of seafood is eaten each year. (Source: istockphoto)
Related Stories
Video: Closing the Net (Landline) (Science Online Video)

Scientists, government bodies and environmentalists say that although Australia still has problems, it has come a long way in recent years in terms of fishing sustainability.

The job of managing fishing in Australian waters is split between the Federal and State governments. Broadly speaking, the states deal with fisheries up to three nautical miles from shore, where the bulk of the catch comes from. The Federal government handles the remainder of the fishing zone, which extends out to 200 nautical miles.
For most of our history, as Kearney says, sustainability was not exactly the top priority of those management schemes. "When I came back to Australia in 1986 and took the job as director of research for New South Wales Fisheries, it was New South Wales Government policy that it was impossible to over-exploit any species of fish and if you fished them down a bit, then people would just move on and fish the next species."

But the government, scientists, and the fishing industry say that things have improved in recent years. In 2005, for example, the Federal government announced a $220 million package that aimed to reduce overfishing through buying back fishing licences. Concern about overfishing was also a factor in the decision by governments to establish marine protected areas where fishing was banned.

Both marine parks and well-managed fisheries are essential to ensure sustainable fish stocks, say the Australian Marine Sciences Association, a group of 900 Australian marine scientists.

Kearney, on the other hand, believes marine protected areas do nothing to improve fishing sustainability, but he says a combination of tighter quotas and reducing fishing effort have made a difference."We realised that we had to cut back on the amount of fish being caught and killed and have done that," he says.
Fulton says that overfishing in Australia, particularly in the Commonwealth fisheries has "largely stopped"."The government said: 'Right we are going to reduce the pressure on the fish to let them recover to sustainable levels for the future'," she explains. "So we have a bad report card right now with regard to the health of the stock, but it is actually improving."

According to the Australian government's latest fishery status report the number of fish stocks that have been assessed as not overfished has more than doubled since 2004, and the number of stocks classified as not subject to overfishing has risen from 12 to 57 in that time.

The report currently classifies 13 of Australia's 98 fish stocks as being overfished (see list below), including three new additions: blue warehou, upper-slope gulper sharks and jackass morwong. Eight stocks are classified as being subject to overfishing.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #37 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 9:53am

Quote:
Really? You brought up economics. How come fish farmings companies such as Tassal Group are so profitable?

Because there are not enough fish to go around. It is not the cost of harvesting fish that is driving up the price, but the shortage of them.

Can you give a link to where you got those numbers from you posted earlier?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #38 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 10:22am

[] Quote:

Because there are not enough fish to go around. It is not the cost of harvesting fish that is driving up the price, but the shortage of them.

But you just said the cost of producing aquaculture fish was a problem for them to replace/suppliment the wild harvest. 

Can you give a link to where you got those numbers from you posted earlier? [/quote]

See above.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #39 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 6:07pm

Dived around Dents Rock in Jervis Bay. Besides heaps of PJ's and eggs. Saw one fish laying dead and untouched due to a ripped jaw from a "Catch and Release" situation.

Fishing is such a stupid act when you really break it down for what its worth in the long run. Might as well just Mass-Machine gun fire into a jungle and see what you get? Or just Fire-Farm like the Abos did and bbq everything (hence no more MegaFauna).

Stupid methods from over-populated stupid people way of life.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #40 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 7:12pm

Quote:
But you just said the cost of producing aquaculture fish was a problem for them to replace/suppliment the wild harvest.

You are not making much sense PJ.

Quote:
See above.

I saw above. No link. Is it your default position now to copy and paste, or 'reinterpret' without giving any links?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #41 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 8:57pm

=1315732324] Quote:

You are not making much sense PJ.

I said:

Aquaculture is part of the picture now - why wouldn't it be if we supplied all own seafood?

You said:

Is it that you just can't keep track of your drivel?

Quote:
See above.

I saw above. No link. Is it your default position now to copy and paste, or 'reinterpret' without giving any links? [/quote]

I said it is from the ABC Science website - surely it is not too difficult for you to find.

PS: I would have put a link but wasn't able to do so using the cut and paste for some reason. 

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 9:20pm

freediver wrote on Sep 11th, 2011 at 9:53am:
Quote:

Grin Grin Grin Spoken like a true economist.

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 9:53pm

pjb05 wrote on Sep 11th, 2011 at 9:31am:

Survival of the fishes

By Stephen Pincock
 Feed the world: It is estimated 110 million tonnes of seafood is eaten each year. (Source: istockphoto)
Related Stories

. [/b]

The figures look to me as if random numbers are written on bits of paper then pulled out of a barrel. From 'Closing the Net'

http://www.abc.net.au/landline/content/2010/s2925799.htm

Quote:
SEAN MURPHY: The NSW Parliament is investigating the recreational fishing sector. Amateur fishers are thought to take about a quarter of Australia's 200 MILLION tonne of annual wild-catch take, and conservation groups have used the recreational fishing inquiry to push for no-take zones to be increased from the current average level of six per cent to at least 20 per cent.

That appeared a frightening figure for Australia alone. But wait...wasn't I just told that 110 million tonnes of SEAFOOD is eaten worldwide? Then...

Quote:
SEAN MURPHY: Graham Turk runs the Sydney Fish Market, Australia's largest, with an annual trade of more than 13,000 tonnes of fresh fish. It's the principal source of fresh seafood for more than a quarter of Australia's population.

Now that says Australia's annual catch is under 52, THOUSAND tonnes. All bit sad on the cred side innit? Nevertheless...

Quote:
GARY SCHOER, NATIONAL PARKS ASSOCIATION: Well, 20 per cent is the minimal figure that has been recommended by the International Union for Conservation of Nature that needs to be conserved worldwide if we are to have sustainable fish stocks into the future, because there are predictions that the whole fisheries could collapse by about 2048 if current trends around much of the world continue.

I'm inclined to believe that. Because when not only proffessional but amateure fisherman are using military equipment to catch an already dwindling world wide stock of fish. When fishing has already caused collapses of stocks like North Sea cod, using primitive equpment by todays standards, it don't take Sherlock to predict the outcome .

I can buy Tasmanian farmed salmon for around $25 a kilo, on one memorable occassion it was cheaper than 'basa' LOL. Even at $25 I can't imagine why anybody would want to eat anything, (fishy) else.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #44 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 10:03pm

Grey wrote on Sep 11th, 2011 at 9:20pm:
Quote:

In a good way?

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 10:44pm

freediver wrote on Sep 11th, 2011 at 10:03pm:
Quote:

In a good way?

Smiley Go on try to tell me how a shortage of fish has no bearing on the cost of harvesting.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #46 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 7:28am

date=1315742026]pjb05 wrote on Sep 11th, 2011 at 9:31am:

Survival of the fishes

By Stephen Pincock
Related Stories

. [/b]

The figures look to me as if random numbers are written on bits of paper then pulled out of a barrel. From 'Closing the Net'

http://www.abc.net.au/landline/content/2010/s2925799.htm

Quote:
SEAN MURPHY: The NSW Parliament is investigating the recreational fishing sector. Amateur fishers are thought to take about a quarter of Australia's 200 MILLION tonne of annual wild-catch take, and conservation groups have used the recreational fishing inquiry to push for no-take zones to be increased from the current average level of six per cent to at least 20 per cent.

That appeared a frightening figure for Australia alone. But wait...wasn't I just told that 110 million tonnes of SEAFOOD is eaten worldwide? Then...

Australia has 1/30th of the World average fishing pressure.

Quote:
SEAN MURPHY: Graham Turk runs the Sydney Fish Market, Australia's largest, with an annual trade of more than 13,000 tonnes of fresh fish. It's the principal source of fresh seafood for more than a quarter of Australia's population.

Now that says Australia's annual catch is under 52, THOUSAND tonnes. All bit sad on the cred side innit? Nevertheless...

Quote:
GARY SCHOER, NATIONAL PARKS ASSOCIATION: Well, 20 per cent is the minimal figure that has been recommended by the International Union for Conservation of Nature that needs to be conserved worldwide if we are to have sustainable fish stocks into the future, because there are predictions that the whole fisheries could collapse by about 2048 if current trends around much of the world continue.

The IUCN has been stacked by greenies and marine park advocates. Also why should we follow their recommendations when we already are the World standard for sustainable fisheries.

I'm inclined to believe that. Because when not only proffessional but amateure fisherman are using military equipment to catch an already dwindling world wide stock of fish.

What is military style about amateur fishing? Even a lot of commerical methods such as longlining are realtively inefficient. PS our stocks aren't dwindling, didn't you read the article I put up?

When fishing has already caused collapses of stocks like North Sea cod, using primitive equpment by todays standards, it don't take Sherlock to predict the outcome .

As above.

I

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 7:40am

If you're going to quote PJ, which I appreciate, it would be nice to at least mention the author <coughs> Grin

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #48 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 4:37pm

Grey wrote on Sep 12th, 2011 at 7:40am:
If you're going to quote PJ, which I appreciate, it would be nice to at least mention the author <coughs> Grin

Look a bit closer; the reference and author are in the top of the quote you put up.
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2011 at 4:53pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #49 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 10:20pm

Grey wrote on Sep 11th, 2011 at 10:44pm:
freediver wrote on Sep 11th, 2011 at 10:03pm:
Quote:

In a good way?

Smiley Go on try to tell me how a shortage of fish has no bearing on the cost of harvesting.

That was not my argument Grey.

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 3:30am

freediver wrote on Sep 12th, 2011 at 10:20pm:

Sorry FD.

I think this discussion has been confused by the fact that there are so many different types of fish. Obviously marine parks will work very well for species that use certain reefs as nurseries and will not work at all for pelagic ... I had to check that Smiley Apparently Tuna Do have a breeding ground off the coast of java. I wonder if that's a marine park?

Anyway I think farmed fish is the answer for now.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #51 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 7:14am

Grey wrote on Sep 13th, 2011 at 3:30am:
[]

[/quote]

You also said aquaculture is more expensive FD - and that this is an impediment to it supplimenting the wild catch.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #52 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 7:18am

Grey wrote on Sep 13th, 2011 at 3:30am:
[Sorry FD.

I think this discussion has been confused by the fact that there are so many different types of fish. Obviously marine parks will work very well for species that use certain reefs as nurseries and will not work at all for pelagic ... I had to check that Smiley Apparently Tuna Do have a breeding ground off the coast of java. I wonder if that's a marine park?

Not neccessarily, if the fish are sedentary then you you not going to get much of a spillover effect. In addition the fishing pressure may well be displaced from the reserve so once again there are no favours done for the areas still open to fishing. No net fisheries or environmental gain results. You can even get adverse changes in species assemblages - as you alluded to different species can respond quite differently to a reserve.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2011 at 6:18pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #53 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 10:06pm

Grey, I think the way to handle that is to target the size of the NTZs to the tendency of the least mobile fish in an area to move. Even apparently sedentary fish will move a long way, especially if there is overcrowding in one direction and open niche (fished waters) in the other. For the fish that move further, you will have no choice but to rely on more traditional tools, and/or targetted protection of key areas like spawning grounds for species like tailor.

When it comes to species like tuna, they may move a long way, but a lot of their territory is areas without significant catches of sedentary species, so you just need bigger NTZs in open ocean. This could even reduce the costs associated with catching them, by putting the NTZs in the 'middle' bits that are furthest from the ports.

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 2:00am

freediver wrote on Sep 13th, 2011 at 10:06pm:
Grey, I think the way to handle that is to target the size of the NTZs to the tendency of the least mobile fish in an area to move. Even apparently sedentary fish will move a long way, especially if there is overcrowding in one direction and open niche (fished waters) in the other. For the fish that move further, you will have no choice but to rely on more traditional tools, and/or targetted protection of key areas like spawning grounds for species like tailor.

When it comes to species like tuna, they may move a long way, but a lot of their territory is areas without significant catches of sedentary species, so you just need bigger NTZs in open ocean. This could even reduce the costs associated with catching them, by putting the NTZs in the 'middle' bits that are furthest from the ports.

Yes I think I'd agree with all of that. But then with regard to the latter point why not declare that all open sea outside of 'territorial waters' is a marine park? The whole subject of territorial waters needs tidying up and placed under an 'international law' with each country getting an equal sea border.

I'f that were the case then the situation would be more a kin to the position on land. Farms and ranges supplying the bulk of food from domestic and semi-domesticated animals , while wild species are left largely alone unless, like kangaroos, they stray too much onto farmed land.

I do think you're being a little over resistant to aquaculture. It'll be problematic, what isn't? But at the end of the day I think it still offers the best way of supplying fish without destroying the life of the oceans.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #55 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 7:20am

]Grey, I think the way to handle that is to target the size of the NTZs to the tendency of the least mobile fish in an area to move. Even apparently sedentary fish will move a long way, especially if there is overcrowding in one direction and open niche (fished waters) in the other.

Still doesn't change the problem, FD. PS you should check out Nature online. The monk seal is going extinct in a marine reserve off Hawaii while it is thriving in adjacent areas open to fishing. They are resorting to culling sharks in the marine reserve!

For the fish that move further, you will have no choice but to rely on more traditional tools, and/or targetted protection of key areas like spawning grounds for species like tailor.

Shock horror - relying on traditional tools! You seem to have forgotten that you case for marine parks at the start of this thread has been based on false premises.

As for targetting  'spawning grounds' often it is not known where they are or they change from year to year.  

A lot of the smaller tunas hug the coast eg Northern Bluefin. Yellowfin and Albacore hug the continental shelf - so your NTZ's, if they are to target these fish, will affect other fisheries.  
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2011 at 4:45pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 10:34am

It is thus that the fish continue to dwindle.

Fact is it doesn't matter what plan is agreed, just that one is. If the world can agree on one plan it can move on and if the plan doesn't work they can modify it or try a new direction.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #57 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 4:44pm

[]It is thus that the fish continue to dwindle.

Our (Australian) fish stocks are not 'continuing to dwindle' and I have provided ample evidence for that.

Fact is it doesn't matter what plan is agreed, just that one is. If the world can agree on one plan it can move on and if the plan doesn't work they can modify it or try a new direction.

Why would you want 'one plan' when some of the World's fish stocks are already well managed?

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 4:55pm

pjb05 wrote on Sep 14th, 2011 at 4:44pm:

Our (Australian) fish stocks are not 'continuing to dwindle' and I have provided ample evidence for that.

Why would you want 'one plan' when some of the World's fish stocks are already well managed?

I disagree with that analysis completely.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/by%20Subject/1370.0~2010~Chapter~...

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #59 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 5:12pm

Grey wrote on Sep 14th, 2011 at 4:55pm:

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/by%20Subject/1370.0~2010~Chapter~...

I would be interested to know on what possible basis you could 'disagree completely' with my analysis? Are you basing that on the link you put up? For starters those stats show a distinct drop in overfished species in recent years. It is also misleading to assess overfishing only by the number of overfished stocks. Some species tend to be vulnerable becauce of their biology, eg some sharks (slow reproduction). In the case of the Southern Bluefin a lot of the fishing pressure occurs outside our waters. The stocks of STB would be in a much better state if the Japanese weren't fraudulently exceeding their quota.

On top of that they are only refering to Commonwealth managed fish stocks. Most of our catch occurs in State waters (which have been subject to a reduction in fishing effort). One other point is that the status of stocks is not fully known and the number of overfished species may change merely because more data become available. 
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2011 at 6:44pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #60 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 8:42pm

Quote:
Yes I think I'd agree with all of that. But then with regard to the latter point why not declare that all open sea outside of 'territorial waters' is a marine park?

Yes I had considered posting that, but I didn't want to wind up PJ too much. It may also lead to a breakdown in international cooperation regarding catch quotas, but that may not matter if there is enough protection. Also, see PJs comments re hugging the coast - he kind of oversimiplifies it, but it is still a valid point.

Quote:
and placed under an 'international law' with each country getting an equal sea border

Yeah, good luck with that. Who should we give 90% of our water to?

Quote:
I do think you're being a little over resistant to aquaculture.

I'm not resistant at all. It was more what PJ was implying about wild catches that interested me.

Quote:
The monk seal is going extinct in a marine reserve off Hawaii while it is thriving in adjacent areas open to fishing.

Does it naturally live there? Not all change need automatically be interpretted as bad PJ, especially if they are not a target species. In fact it is fairly obvious that many non-targetted species are going to decline in a no take zone. Just because they are cute and cuddly doesn't mean they deserve special consideration, otherwise people might mistake you for a tree hugging hippy.

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 8:53pm

pjb05 wrote on Sep 14th, 2011 at 5:12pm:
Grey wrote on Sep 14th, 2011 at 4:55pm:

I would be interested to know on what possible basis you could 'disagree completely' with my analysis? Are you basing that on the link you put up? For starters those stats show a distinct drop in overfished species in recent years. It is also misleading to assess overfishing only by the number of overfished stocks. Some species tend to be vulnerable becauce of their biology, eg some sharks (slow reproduction). In the case of the Southern Bluefin a lot of the fishing pressure occurs outside our waters. The stocks of STB would be in a much better state if the Japanese weren't fraudulently exceeding their quota.

On top of that they are only refering to Commonwealth managed fish stocks. Most of our catch occurs in State waters (which have been subject to a reduction in fishing effort). One other point is that the status of stocks is not fully known and the number of overfished species may change merely because more data become available. 

Mainly I'm swayed by the anecdotal evidence of my own experience. I'm in no doubt that fish stocks have dropped since more recreational fisherman have taken to very well equipped boats, the ever increasing efficiency of method and technology by professionals and the evidence of talking to oldtimers. There's a lot more people spear fishing species like blue groper and yes the bastard Japanese and they exist, so do the bastard Spanish and there's even poachers funded by outlaw motorcycle gangs.

OFF THE Coast of California there's the increasing presence of Humboldt squid which are filling the niches left by the disappearance of large predator fish. Europeasn fleets are plundering far and wide off African and asian coasts and we face the prospect of reefs like the Gtreat barrier dieing from global warming. Things aint apples I tell yer Smiley

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #62 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 9:01pm

Mainly I'm swayed by the anecdotal evidence of my own experience. I'm in no doubt that fish stocks have dropped since more recreational fisherman have taken to very well equipped boats, the ever increasing efficiency of method and technology by professionals and the evidence of talking to oldtimers.

Fine - think what you want. If a person has made up their mind to overfishing then nothing will change their minds!

There's a lot more people spear fishing species like blue groper

That's been banned for years!

and yes the bastard Japanese and they exist, so do the bastard Spanish and there's even poachers funded by outlaw motorcycle gangs.

OFF THE Coast of California there's the increasing presence of Humboldt squid which are filling the niches left by the disappearance of large predator fish. Europeasn fleets are plundering far and wide off African and asian coasts

Yawn - whats that go to do with Australia?

and we face the prospect of reefs like the Gtreat barrier dieing from global warming. Things aint apples I tell yer Smiley

And what will marine parks do about that?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #63 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 9:28pm

Quote:
The monk seal is going extinct in a marine reserve off Hawaii while it is thriving in adjacent areas open to fishing.

Does it naturally live there? Not all change need automatically be interpretted as bad PJ, especially if they are not a target species. In fact it is fairly obvious that many non-targetted species are going to decline in a no take zone. Just because they are cute and cuddly doesn't mean they deserve special consideration, otherwise people might mistake you for a tree hugging hippy.

Except that marine parks are touted as giving protection for endangered species. The 'tree huging hippies' are in fact the biggest advocates of marine parks.

Also Prof Colin Buxton in his review of Tasmanian marine parks said that there is evdence of adverse changes in species assemblages from a fisheries management point of view. 

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #64 - Sep 15th, 2011 at 12:35pm

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_ocean_clear_cutting/?copy
In two days, UN policy-makers are meeting to review the impacts of this deadly practice. Pacific island nations are fighting to save the oceans and have appealed to Avaaz members to stand with them. This is our chance to win -- if enough of us speak out now, it will strengthen their hand against big fishing countries, and will embolden serious players like the US and Australia, who have already banned bottom-trawling in their waters, to push for protection everywhere.

Let's build an urgent call to stop the senseless destruction of our oceans -- and delegates will deliver our voices directly to the UN meeting. Sign now and help us reach half a million voices in the next 48 hours:

Massive fishing trawlers systematically move from one deep-sea ecosystem to another, crushing coral reefs, sucking up all living creatures and leaving vast deserts behind them that won’t regenerate for hundreds of years. In a single swoop, some boats are capable of clearing an area the size of 5000 football pitches. Canada, Russia and Spain lead the world in spreading this destruction throughout our most diverse and precious waters.

Already, major fishing nations have had 6 years to study the effects of bottom-trawling and move towards more sustainable practices. Most have failed to live up to their commitments to ocean protection and continue to direct huge subsidies -- over 162 million dollars a year -- to ocean clear-cuts.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #65 - Sep 15th, 2011 at 5:29pm

Grey, is there some point to your cut and paste?

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Sep 15th, 2011 at 7:18pm

Well sure, some people might like to 'sign' the petition. No harm in that is there?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #67 - Sep 15th, 2011 at 9:04pm

Grey wrote on Sep 15th, 2011 at 7:18pm:
Well sure, some people might like to 'sign' the petition. No harm in that is there?

Why put it here unless you are trying to throw in a red herring? The thread is about whether Australian fish stocks are overfished and if marine parks are the best way forward.

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:55am

pjb05 wrote on Sep 15th, 2011 at 9:04pm:
Grey wrote on Sep 15th, 2011 at 7:18pm:

Why put it here unless you are trying to throw in a red herring? The thread is about whether Australian fish stocks are overfished and if marine parks are the best way forward.

'Australian fish', do they know? One big difference between land and water is the relatively 'all joined upness' of the water.'

Anyway the thread opened thus.

Quote:
Our oceans are in trouble. Three quarters of global fish stocks are fully exploited, over-exploited or depleted and Australia’s Bureau of Rural Sciences has declared that almost half of Australia’s 70 principle fish species are fully fished or overfished.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #69 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 5:45pm

[686]Grey wrote on Sep 15th, 2011 at 7:18pm:

[/quote]

'Australian fish', do they know? One big difference between land and water is the relatively 'all joined upness' of the water.'

We have a 200 nm EEZ. Very few of our fished species migrate outside that range.

Quote:
[/quote]

One passing mention to World fisheries - which we don't have jurastiction over!

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:49pm

pjb05 wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 5:45pm:
[686]Grey wrote on Sep 15th, 2011 at 7:18pm:

We have a 200 nm EEZ. Very few of our fished species migrate outside that range.

Quote:
[/quote]

One passing mention to World fisheries - which we don't have jurastiction over! [/quote]

Maybe no jurisdiction, but we can have a say, both as individuals and as a state.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #71 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 10:57pm

Quote:
Fine - think what you want. If a person has made up their mind to overfishing then nothing will change their minds!

PJ, you expect as to take your personal experience as some kind of gospel truth, yet you reject any anecdotal evidence from others.

Quote:

Not everywhere.

Quote:
Also Prof Colin Buxton in his review of Tasmanian marine parks said that there is evdence of adverse changes in species assemblages from a fisheries management point of view. 

You mean he was able to come up with one single example, which the anti marine park mob now attempt to make a ludicrous generalisation from?

Quote:

Who does?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #72 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 7:12am

[] Quote:

PJ, you expect as to take your personal experience as some kind of gospel truth, yet you reject any anecdotal evidence from others.

I have put up scientific as well as a small amount of anecdotal evidence. The latter comes from direct personal experience. I doubt if Grey has any direct experience to base his anecdotes nor you. Eg the hordes of rec fishermen in SE Qld pinging the depths for snapper with their unfair echo-sounders. Do you fish for snapper FD? Do you have a boat with ech-sounder?
Quote:

Not everywhere.

Really? Where are you allowed to spear groper?

Quote:

You mean he was able to come up with one single example, which the anti marine park mob now attempt to make a ludicrous generalisation from?

Yes funny that seeing he was only looking at Tasmanian marine parks. I also recall puting up other papers which postulated such negative effects.

Quote:

Who does?

Other countries in their own EEZ's. In International waters it depends on agreements between countries via various fisheries commissions.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #73 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 8:06am

Quote:
I have put up scientific as well as a small amount of anecdotal evidence.

And you kept complaining that I did not 'respond' to your memories of a lot of fishing boats 30 years ago, as if it was some kind of compelling evidence.

Quote:
Eg the hordes of rec fishermen in SE Qld pinging the depths for snapper with their unfair echo-sounders.

It is nothing to do with fairness PJ. It is a simple (and to most people, obvious) point about the impact of technology.

Quote:
Do you fish for snapper FD? Do you have a boat with ech-sounder?

I have speared snapper before, though I do not target them. I bought my first sounder very recently.

Quote:

Well for starters there is QLD. Not that I have actually seen groper up there, but if you do see one you can spear it.

Quote:
Yes funny that seeing he was only looking at Tasmanian marine parks. I also recall puting up other papers which postulated such negative effects.

Yes PJ, a whole lot of postulating, and a single actual example. Sounds more like the execption that proves the rule to me.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #74 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 8:17am

] Quote:
I have put up scientific as well as a small amount of anecdotal evidence.

And you kept complaining that I did not 'respond' to your memories of a lot of fishing boats 30 years ago, as if it was some kind of compelling evidence.

It's a useful observation, and not just my own. I have heard other fishermen say exactly the same.

Quote:
Eg the hordes of rec fishermen in SE Qld pinging the depths for snapper with their unfair echo-sounders.

It is nothing to do with fairness PJ. It is a simple (and to most people, obvious) point about the impact of technology.

Yes but you seem oblivious to the point that good sounders were around 30 years ago and that a sounder is not a huge advantage in catching them.

Quote:
Do you fish for snapper FD? Do you have a boat with ech-sounder?

I have speared snapper before, though I do not target them. I bought my first sounder very recently.

So you admit you have no direct experence to back up your anecdote?

Quote:

Well for starters there is QLD. Not that I have actually seen groper up there, but if you do see one you can spear it.

Don't you think that there is a chance that there is no spearfishing ban on blue groper in Qld because they are not found there?

Quote:

Yes PJ, a whole lot of postulating, and a single actual example. Sounds more like the execption that proves the rule to me.

Two examples counting the monk seal. And given that the benefits of marine parks are largely theoretical you point is rather ironic.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #75 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 9:51am

Quote:
Yes but you seem oblivious to the point that good sounders were around 30 years ago and that a sounder is not a huge advantage in catching them.

They were around, but were very expensive. There are much better ones out these days. Sounders and GPS do make a difference. No idea what makes you think I am oblivious. Nothing in my argument rests on them being invented in the last five years. For someone so into 'anecdotal evidence' you forget inconventient facts like not being able to afford this stuff when it first came out.

Quote:

Which anecdote are you talking about? The anecdote that technology is having a big impact on fishing pressure?

Quote:
Don't you think that there is a chance that there is no spearfishing ban on blue groper in Qld because they are not found there?

No PJ. The converse is true. There are very few there because you can spear them. At least, there are none in the easily accessible locations. Just over the border they are everywhere. There are so many that when you get used to spearing on the QLD side of the boarder then jump to the other side it is pretty difficult because they are everywhere and they distract you. There is a clear and sudden change at the border.

Quote:
Two examples counting the monk seal.

No PJ. You have a single example of a target species decreasing due to marine parks. You have found several 'articles' postulating their existence, so it is not like no-one has thought to check, though you do seem to think that because the title of the paper containing the only evidence had the word Tasmania in it they have only looked in Tasmania. For someone who complains about 'faith based' fisheries, it is kind of hypocritical to take these postulations seriously when they are not only almost purely theorietical, the evidence clearly points the other way.

The Monk Seal is not a target species. It has no relevance to the fisheries management debate. Like I said, it is expected that many non-target species will go down in numbers in a marine park. This tells you nothing at all about the impact on target species.

Quote:
And given that the benefits of marine parks are largely theoretical you point is rather ironic.

No PJ. Your postulations are theoretical. The scientific consensus is in favour of marine parks because of the evidence, not because of the theory.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #76 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 10:15am

] Quote:

They were around, but were very expensive. There are much better ones out these days. Sounders and GPS do make a difference.

They weren't overly expensive and it would be rare to find a keen offshore angler who did not have one. They worked very well too. I should know I had an 1980's model Furuno for a long time. PS: has boating or the general cost of living gotten cheaper in the past 30 years? 

No idea what makes you think I am oblivious. Nothing in my argument rests on them being invented in the last five years. For someone so into 'anecdotal evidence' you forget inconventient facts like not being able to afford this stuff when it first came out.

See above. Also my point is that they don't enable you to catch drastically more fish. Eg the most efficent way to catch snapper is to anchor up and berely them - not to drive around pinging them with you new fangled echo sounder (maybe you have been looking at too many sounder ads).

Quote:

Which anecdote are you talking about? The anecdote that technology is having a big impact on fishing pressure?

Yep, specifically with regard to sounders and snapper.

Quote:

No PJ. The converse is true. There are very few there because you can spear them. At least, there are none in the easily accessible locations. Just over the border they are everywhere. There are so many that when you get used to spearing on the QLD side of the boarder then jump to the other side it is pretty difficult because they are everywhere and they distract you. There is a clear and sudden change at the border.

Maybe - but there natural range only includes southern Qld. In there stronghold of NSW spearfishing is banned (and in SA too).
PS: where are you trying to go with this given that you want to re-introduce spearfishing for groper!

Quote:
Two examples counting the monk seal.

No PJ. You have a single example of a target species decreasing due to marine parks. You have found several 'articles' postulating their existence, so it is not like no-one has thought to check, though you do seem to think that because the title of the paper containing the only evidence had the word Tasmania in it they have only looked in Tasmania.

The paper was a review of Tasmainian marine parks!

For someone who complains about 'faith based' fisheries, it is kind of hypocritical to take these postulations seriously when they are not only almost purely theorietical, the evidence clearly points the other way.

The 'evidence' for marine parks for fisheries management is just as theoretical, as has been pointed out by many fisheries scientist.

The Monk Seal is not a target species. It has no relevance to the fisheries management debate. Like I said, it is expected that many non-target species will go down in numbers in a marine park. This tells you nothing at all about the impact on target species.

Yes but marine parks are largely justified/ promoted for conservation reasons.

Quote:
And given that the benefits of marine parks are largely theoretical you point is rather ironic.

No PJ. Your postulations are theoretical. The scientific consensus is in favour of marine parks because of the evidence, not because of the theory.

Yes run back to your consensus device when your in trouble.
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2011 at 11:08am by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #77 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 11:08am

Quote:
PS: has boating or the general cost of living gotten cheaper in the past 30 years?

Yes. How much did you pay for your first sounder?

Quote:
not to drive around pinging them with you new fangled echo sounder (maybee you have been looking at too many sounder ads)

No PJ. Just talking to other fishermen who do it.

Quote:
PS: where are you trying to go with this given that you want to re-introduce spearfishing for groper!

It should be fairly obvious - I want to reintroduce spearing of groper. Provided they get enough protection in marine parks of course. This is another species that would get an enourmouse benefit from marine parks. I think they get too much protection alerady in NSW. They are everywhere.

Quote:

And you interpretation was that you could only come up with one example because the paper that had the example ahd Tasmania in the title.

Quote:
The 'evidence' for marine parks for fisheries management is just as theoretical

No it is not PJ. It is almost entirely based on real catches and real observations.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #78 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 5:04pm

[] Quote:
PS: has boating or the general cost of living gotten cheaper in the past 30 years?

Yes. How much did you pay for your first sounder?

It came with the boat (which was second hand).

Quote:
not to drive around pinging them with you new fangled echo sounder (maybee you have been looking at too many sounder ads)

No PJ. Just talking to other fishermen who do it.

The can't be very good fishermen if they think that is the most effective way to catch snapper (not that you'd know).

Quote:

It should be fairly obvious - I want to reintroduce spearing of groper. Provided they get enough protection in marine parks of course. This is another species that would get an enourmouse benefit from marine parks. I think they get too much protection alerady in NSW. They are everywhere.

How would they benefit if they are thriving everywhere now? You plan would leave them depleted in most places and thriving in a few areas.

PS: Of what possible merit is there in spearing a slow moving, inquisitive fish like groper?

Quote:

And you interpretation was that you could only come up with one example because the paper that had the example ahd Tasmania in the title.

Who said that I have done a worldwide search? PS such a search would be hampered by the fact there have been very few rigorous studies done on marine parks.

Quote:
The 'evidence' for marine parks for fisheries management is just as theoretical

No it is not PJ. It is almost entirely based on real catches and real observations.

See above. Very few studies show the rigor to make such a conclusion. That statement just reflects your faith in a cause.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #79 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 6:46pm

Quote:
How would they benefit if they are thriving everywhere now?

Spearfishermen would benefit, not the fish.

Quote:
You plan would leave them depleted in most places and thriving in a few areas.

Fortunately there are no fences in the ocean. Fish don't pay much attention to lines on maps.

Quote:
PS: Of what possible merit is there in spearing a slow moving, inquisitive fish like groper?

So you can eat it. Catching fish is hardly a 'man vs beast' type activity.

Quote:
Who said that I have done a worldwide search?

Read between the lines PJ. All those articles from 'academics' that you post postulating the theoretical possibility that target species might decline, and they can only come up with a single example. On the other hand, there is mountains of evidence of the increase in stocks of target species. Can you offer a rational interpretation of this?

Quote:
PS such a search would be hampered by the fact there have been very few rigorous studies done on marine parks.

There have been plenty. I have referred you to very large books that list references on marine park research.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #80 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 7:58pm

] Quote:
How would they benefit if they are thriving everywhere now?

Spearfishermen would benefit, not the fish.

Didn't you say groper were another species that would benefit enormously from marine parks.

Quote:
You plan would leave them depleted in most places and thriving in a few areas.

Fortunately there are no fences in the ocean. Fish don't pay much attention to lines on maps.

And how does that sit with your assertion that groper are abundant in NSW and scarce in adjacent SE Qld and that this is due to the impact of spearfishing?

Quote:

So you can eat it. Catching fish is hardly a 'man vs beast' type activity.

If there is no sporting merit you might as well just buy the fish to eat.

Quote:
Who said that I have done a worldwide search?

Read between the lines PJ. All those articles from 'academics' that you post postulating the theoretical possibility that target species might decline, and they can only come up with a single example. On the other hand, there is mountains of evidence of the increase in stocks of target species. Can you offer a rational interpretation of this?

They are also talking about adverse ecological and conservation effects. Also you are confusing some observed increases in fish numbers in a reserve to a fishery wide benefit.

Quote:
PS such a search would be hampered by the fact there have been very few rigorous studies done on marine parks.

There have been plenty. I have referred you to very large books that list references on marine park research.

Yes there is a lot of literature, references and enthusiasm but very little rigorous empiracle science. Recall the 'Burdens of Proof' paper which highlighted this problem. It the time of writing they couldn't find one well designed before and after study assessing the effect of a marine park.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #81 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 9:22pm

Quote:
Didn't you say groper were another species that would benefit enormously from marine parks.

Sure, in QLD. Given the absurdly restrictive limits on them already in NSW I doubt it would make much difference, though you probably would get a few more of the enourmous ones you see occasionally in the more remote areas.

Quote:
And how does that sit with your assertion that groper are abundant in NSW and scarce in adjacent SE Qld and that this is due to the impact of spearfishing?

The fishermen do pay attention. I'm sure there are a few speros that pick off the odd one near the border, but it is hardly an effective design.

Quote:

It is still fun. Obviously they would get difficult to spear pretty quickly. I'm not sure why you have some kind of problem with this. Picking mushrooms is hardly a sport either, but that is not a good reason to dismiss it.

Quote:
They are also talking about adverse ecological and conservation effects.

You should start a new thread on this.

Quote:
Also you are confusing some observed increases in fish numbers in a reserve to a fishery wide benefit.

There is evidence of both. However, given your absurd speculation that there will be decreases we should start with the simple stuff.

Quote:
It the time of writing they couldn't find one well designed before and after study assessing the effect of a marine park.

Obviously they are not going to be well designed from a scientific perspective. Would you like to be treated like a guinea pig?

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 11:37pm

Blue groper can be speared in WA there's a bag limit of one per day.

Quote:
“We want greater protection for our fish stocks. This new management regime is crucial to ensure WA maintains a high quality and sustainable recreational fishery.

“Scientific evidence overwhelmingly indicates that our fisheries are at risk unless immediate action is taken. The commercial sector has already addressed this issue and now it is time for the recreational fishing sector to do its part.”

Mr Moore said that in the past decade, population growth and the greater use of equipment such as global positioning systems and echo sounders had made a huge impact on fish stocks.

http://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx?ItemId=132159

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #83 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 6:24am

Once again Grey, is there some point to your cut and paste? All it proves as far as I can see is that traditional fisheries management is working.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #84 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 6:46am

[] Quote:

Sure, in QLD. Given the absurdly restrictive limits on them already in NSW I doubt it would make much difference, though you probably would get a few more of the enourmous ones you see occasionally in the more remote areas.

Your still allowed to fish for them in NSW with a bag limit of 2 per day. As far as fishing is concerned you want to drastically increase restrictions with your NTZ's!

Quote:

The fishermen do pay attention. I'm sure there are a few speros that pick off the odd one near the border, but it is hardly an effective design.

The point is that it makes your suggestion of a spillover effect look like b/s.

Quote:

It is still fun. Obviously they would get difficult to spear pretty quickly. I'm not sure why you have some kind of problem with this. Picking mushrooms is hardly a sport either, but that is not a good reason to dismiss it.

Well to each his own - it seems a rather mindless activity to me. And more to the point hardly worth the big stick of marine parks just to cater for it.

Quote:
They are also talking about adverse ecological and conservation effects.

You should start a new thread on this.

It's been mentioned before. The monk seal would be an example of a negative conservation effect. Another paper suggested that if you were trying to keep the same yeild under a marine park regime you would have to step up ecologically damaging methods like trawling in the areas still opent to fishing.

Quote:
Also you are confusing some observed increases in fish numbers in a reserve to a fishery wide benefit.

There is evidence of both. However, given your absurd speculation that there will be decreases we should start with the simple stuff.

The evidence of fishery wide benefits is thin and limited to poorly regulated areas where any fisheries management initiative would likely give a discernable improvement.

Quote:
It the time of writing they couldn't find one well designed before and after study assessing the effect of a marine park.

Obviously they are not going to be well designed from a scientific perspective. Would you like to be treated like a guinea pig?

Then why claim scientific evidence? A consensus in fact?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #85 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 10:16am

Quote:
The point is that it makes your suggestion of a spillover effect look like b/s.

How so?

Quote:
Then why claim scientific evidence? A consensus in fact?

A consensus is just that - a consensus. Not being able to do well designed experiments with government regulation does not defeat the purpose of studying it. It just makes it a bit harder.

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 11:22am

pjb05 wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 6:24am:
Once again Grey, is there some point to your cut and paste? All it proves as far as I can see is that traditional fisheries management is working.

Depends on your bias I guess. Obviously, (to me) if 'traditional' methods have been in use long enough to be called traditional and stocks keep on plunging,(along with the size of the fishing fleet), so that the traditional ploy has to be used more and more often in ever more draconian fashion, it's time to try something else. Which is what WA is doing in declaring more marine parks. 

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #87 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 12:58pm

Grey wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 11:22am:
pjb05 wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 6:24am:

Depends on your bias I guess. Obviously, (to me) if 'traditional' methods have been in use long enough to be called traditional and stocks keep on plunging,(along with the size of the fishing fleet), so that the traditional ploy has to be used more and more often in ever more draconian fashion, it's time to try something else. Which is what WA is doing in declaring more marine parks.  

Yes that's FD's mantra - and you both seem to be oblivious to the fact that it has been totally debunked here. It is policy in this country for instance that our fisheries managers take action when a stock is just starting on the slope to depletion.

Also there is ample evidence of rebounding stocks with mild traditional measures. How can you bandy the word 'draconian' when you want to use the big stick of marine parks. PS: do you really think 'trying something new' is a reasonable justification?  

PS: marine parks in Australia have been declared for largely political reasons - not to manage our fish stocks. They haven't been initiated by any fisheries department for instance.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2011 at 1:12pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #88 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 1:01pm

freediver wrote on Sep 17th, 2011 at 9:22pm:
Quote:
[quote]It the time of writing they couldn't find one well designed before and after study assessing the effect of a marine park.

Thats what your asking us to to in being ahead of the World in declaring marine parks.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #89 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 1:29pm

No PJ. I am suggesting we go with the best available advice. A well designed experiment would involve repeatedly setting up marine parks that you fully expect to not work very well to prove to yourself (and the scientific community) that they do not work very well.

Is that what you want?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #90 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 2:21pm

[]No PJ. I am suggesting we go with the best available advice. A well designed experiment would involve repeatedly setting up marine parks that you fully expect to not work very well to prove to yourself (and the scientific community) that they do not work very well.

Is that what you want?

Thats what were getting! Ie the case of marine parks mushrooming all around Australia against the best advice of fisheries scientists. 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #91 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 2:34pm

No it isn't.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #92 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 3:39pm

freediver wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 2:34pm:
No it isn't.

Thats a brilliant retort - looks like you have put a lot of thought into that!

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #93 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 3:40pm

Quote:
do you really think 'trying something new' is a reasonable justification?

Absolutely! Look you obviously make your plan, based on the best 'figuring' the evidence suggests. But at the end of the day, when you're dealing with complexity, there are more variables than you can poke a stick at. The adage is...

'When one thing doesn't work, try something else.'

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #94 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 3:53pm

[] Quote:

Absolutely! Look you obviously make your plan, based on the best 'figuring' the evidence suggests. But at the end of the day, when you're dealing with complexity, there are more variables than you can poke a stick at. The adage is...

'When one thing doesn't work, try something else.' [/quote]

What isn't working Grey? The evidence is our fisheries management is working! As for the few remaining minor problems it's not likely that marine parks are the answer. You also seem oblivious to the fact that there is a considerable cost to marine parks. Your just ignoring all that and going straight to the 'solution'.

It's Leninistic - no different to saying capitalism had had problems so we need to go over to communism.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2011 at 6:09pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #95 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:12pm

pjb05 wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 3:39pm:
freediver wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 2:34pm:
No it isn't.

Thats a brilliant retort - looks like you have put a lot of thought into that!

Would you expect me to put any more though than you put into your post? Let me guess, you post whatever stupid crap pops into your head but if people disagree they have to post a thesis? You spend as much time attacking the credibility of the scientific community as you do pretending they are on your side.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #96 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:32pm

Well speaking of stupid crap you said this regarding marine parks and groper:

"Fortunately there are no fences in the ocean. Fish don't pay much attention to lines on maps".

Previously you said:

"No PJ. The converse is true. There are very few there because you can spear them. At least, there are none in the easily accessible locations. Just over the border they are everywhere. There are so many that when you get used to spearing on the QLD side of the boarder then jump to the other side it is pretty difficult because they are everywhere and they distract you. There is a clear and sudden change at the border".

Looks like someone can't even keep track of their stupid crap.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #97 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:37pm

There is no contradiction there PJ. As I explained, the fishermen do pay attention to lines on maps, even if the fish don't.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #98 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:41pm

freediver wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:37pm:
There is no contradiction there PJ. As I explained, the fishermen do pay attention to lines on maps, even if the fish don't.

No, you were alluding to a spillover effect. The comment was in reply to my point that with marine parks managing groper you will just wind up with healthy numbers in the park surrounded by depleted areas where spearfishing is allowed.

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #99 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:02pm

pjb05 wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 3:53pm:
[] Quote:

Quote:

'When one thing doesn't work, try something else.'

What isn't working Grey? The evidence is our fisheries management is working! As for the few remaining minor problems it's not likely that marine parks are the answer. You also seem oblivious to the fact that there is a considerable cost to marine parks. Your just ignoring all that and going straight to the 'solution'.

It's Leninistic - no different to saying capitalism had had problems so we need to go over to communism.

When the reducing the size of the catch, both individuals and numbers, has gone on so long you call it 'traditional' and fishermen leave the industry in droves, how can you say, 'it's working'?

On the other hand when you yourself say, " with marine parks managing groper you will just wind up with healthy numbers in the park". How can you say parks don't work? Clearly if numbers reach 'healthy' (ie optimum) levels in the park, some fish will leave for less crowded environments.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #100 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:14pm

[When the reducing the size of the catch, both individuals and numbers, has gone on so long you call it 'traditional' and fishermen leave the industry in droves, how can you say, 'it's working'?

It's not a sign of failure that fishing is relatively unrestricted in the early stages and undergoes consolidation at a later stage. It's a normal, well understood progression. It's like a mining excercise to start with. A later consolidation does not say anything against the long term sustainability of the fishery.

On the other hand when you yourself say, " with marine parks managing groper you will just wind up with healthy numbers in the park". How can you say parks don't work? Clearly if numbers reach 'healthy' (ie optimum) levels in the park, some fish will leave for less crowded environments.

Wouldn't it be preferable to have healthy numbers everywhere? FD admitted that is the case in NSW. He also admitted there is no such spill over by saying they are depleted in Qld (in fact a clear distinction at the border). I can't say you have been paying much attention to what has been said here.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #101 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:37pm

pjb05 wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:41pm:
freediver wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:37pm:

No, you were alluding to a spillover effect. The comment was in reply to my point that with marine parks managing groper you will just wind up with healthy numbers in the park surrounded by depleted areas where spearfishing is allowed.

So what? Isn't that better than depleted numbers everywhere?

By the way PJ, the evidence is that you get more fish outside the park as well, not just inside.

Do you think there are fewer gropers in QLD because of all the displaced effort from NSW spearfishermen? Or did you no think that far ahead?

Quote:
It's not a sign of failure that fishing is relatively unrestricted in the early stages and undergoes consolidation at a later stage. It's a normal, well understood progression.

It is a progression you had great difficulty coming to terms with earlier in the thread.

Quote:
He also admitted there is no such spill over by saying they are depleted in Qld

You really should stick to what I actually say PJ.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:43pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #102 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:43pm

So what? Isn't that better than depleted numbers everywhere?

Don't be so obtuse FD - the NSW case shows all you need to do is ban spearfishing and commercial fishing for groper to have healthy numbers everywhere.

By the way PJ, the evidence is that you get more fish outside the park as well, not just inside.

Then why did you say there was a clear distiction at the border? 

PS: if displaced effort is a problem then why not just ban spearfishing for groper in Qld as well?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #103 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:44pm

Quote:
the NSW case shows all you need to do is ban spearfishing and commercial fishing

LOL - 'all' you have to do, says the man complaining about draconian restrictions.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #104 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:49pm

freediver wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:44pm:
Quote:
the NSW case shows all you need to do is ban spearfishing and commercial fishing

LOL - 'all' you have to do, says the man complaining about draconian restrictions.

It's not draconian when we are talking about a single species of conservation concern.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #105 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:54pm

Why is it of conservation concern?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #106 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:55pm

freediver wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:54pm:
Why is it of conservation concern?

They were nearly wiped out by spearfishing.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #107 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 9:22pm

So they 'were' of conservation concern. Do you think they still are?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #108 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 7:11am

freediver wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 9:22pm:
So they 'were' of conservation concern. Do you think they still are?

Its not a good idea to bring back the practice that threatened them.

PS: anglers have species they can't take eg estuary cod, black cod etc and this has caused little controversy.

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #109 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 11:45am

Quote:
Wouldn't it be preferable to have healthy numbers everywhere? FD admitted that is the case in NSW. He also admitted there is no such spill over by saying they are depleted in Qld (in fact a clear distinction at the border). I can't say you have been paying much attention to what has been said here.

I'm paying attention enough to know that your taking the Blue Groper as synonymous with fish when it suits and as gropers when it isn't. Gropers are a very specialised species that are never found in very large numbers, so it makes sense that the effect of spillover from marine parks is minimal.

I also note that you make no allowance for the economic benefit of marine parks from a tourism industry point of view. While it's difficult to quantify the economic benefit of a single tourst attraction an indication can be taken from the willingness of government to spend 30 million on the redevelopment of Busselton Jetty which has no value as a jetty per se. Its value is as the anchor and shade for coral and fish at a latitude that is unusual.
http://www.busseltonjetty.net/Jetty-History.aspx

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #110 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 4:48pm

Grey wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 11:45am:
[quote]Wouldn't it be preferable to have healthy numbers everywhere? FD admitted that is the case in NSW. He also admitted there is no such spill over by saying they are depleted in Qld (in fact a clear distinction at the border). I can't say you have been paying much attention to what has been said here.

I'm paying attention enough to know that your taking the Blue Groper as synonymous with fish when it suits and as gropers when it isn't. Gropers are a very specialised species that are never found in very large numbers, so it makes sense that the effect of spillover from marine parks is minimal.

As FD pointed out blue groper are extremely prolific in areas protected from spearfishing. The spillover is minimal because they a relatively sedentary (ie don't have a wide range).

I also note that you make no allowance for the economic benefit of marine parks from a tourism industry point of view.

The evidence is that they are an overall considerable cost to the community.

While it's difficult to quantify the economic benefit of a single tourst attraction an indication can be taken from the willingness of government to spend 30 million on the redevelopment of Busselton Jetty which has no value as a jetty per se. Its value is as the anchor and shade for coral and fish at a latitude that is unusual.
http://www.busseltonjetty.net/Jetty-History.aspx

I don't think a jetty equates to a marine park.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #111 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 6:11pm

freediver wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:37pm:
[ [quote]It's not a sign of failure that fishing is relatively unrestricted in the early stages and undergoes consolidation at a later stage. It's a normal, well understood progression.

It is a progression you had great difficulty coming to terms with earlier in the thread.

You had great difficulty in coming to terms with the fact that it says nothing against the long term sustainability of the fishery.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #112 - Sep 20th, 2011 at 9:06pm

Quote:

It is total fishing effort, not any individual component, that threatens a species. I don't know whether it was pro fishermen or spearos that did most of the damage, but that is kind of irrelevant. Once they recieve significant protection in marine parks, there is no need at all for the bans.

Quote:
PS: anglers have species they can't take eg estuary cod, black cod etc and this has caused little controversy.

Obviously if a species is genuinely endangered, then you should not catch it. However, the opposite is true with blue groper.

Quote:
Gropers are a very specialised species that are never found in very large numbers

Blue gropers are. There are large numbers of them up and down the entire NSW coast.

Quote:
The spillover is minimal because they a relatively sedentary (ie don't have a wide range).

Wrong PJ. Obviously if you use the entire state of NSW as your example then spillover is going to be small, but the size of actual no take zones in NSW would give significant spillover of blue groper. Sedentary for a fish does not mean it sits on the couch all day. They can and do move considerable distances when motivated.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #113 - Sep 21st, 2011 at 7:10am

date=1316516763] Quote:

It is total fishing effort, not any individual component, that threatens a species. I don't know whether it was pro fishermen or spearos that did most of the damage, but that is kind of irrelevant. Once they recieve significant protection in marine parks, there is no need at all for the bans.

Every numbnut with a speargun was shooting them FD. They were never a signifcant commercial species. How dumb is it it to repeatthe same mistake just because the regulations are working?

Quote:

Obviously if a species is genuinely endangered, then you should not catch it. However, the opposite is true with blue groper.

Only because the regulations are working.

Quote:
Gropers are a very specialised species that are never found in very large numbers

Blue gropers are. There are large numbers of them up and down the entire NSW coast.

Quote:
The spillover is minimal because they a relatively sedentary (ie don't have a wide range).

Wrong PJ. Obviously if you use the entire state of NSW as your example then spillover is going to be small, but the size of actual no take zones in NSW would give significant spillover of blue groper. Sedentary for a fish does not mean it sits on the couch all day. They can and do move considerable distances when motivated.

If there is a spillover effect from an area as large as NSW do you really think that there will be one under your plan? How many and how big are your NTZ's going to be? Are they going to apply to all species or just groper? Have you concocted this policy just so you can get your thrills spearing groper?

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #114 - Sep 21st, 2011 at 11:58am

Quote:

Of course, Western Blue groper are a subspecies, don't get as much protection and the environment is less conducive. Nice to hear they're doing well in your neck of the woods. Smiley

http://www.westernangler.com.au/fishing-info/fish-guide/185-western-blue-groper
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2011 at 12:14pm by Grey »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #115 - Sep 21st, 2011 at 8:38pm

Quote:
Every numbnut with a speargun was shooting them FD. They were never a signifcant commercial species. How dumb is it it to repeatthe same mistake just because the regulations are working?

But it would not be the same mistake if you waited until they are sufficently protected in no take zones.

Quote:

They are currently over protected to an absurd level. Do you really think that counts as 'working'. You have an entirely different set of goal posts for traditional fisheries management tools vs marine parks. You would accept anythinhg from over-protecting to the point a species became so common it got in the way while spearfishing, to underprotection to the brink of extinction, provided the species eventually recovered.

Quote:
If there is a spillover effect from an area as large as NSW do you really think that there will be one under your plan?

I assume you meant 'no spillover'. I did not say there is no spillover PJ. This is your misunderstanding of what I posted. I have corrected you sevel times, but for some reason it is not sinking in.

Quote:
How many and how big are your NTZ's going to be?

The typical size currently used in NSW would do. I think it would be reasonable to allow spearing of groper once more than 5% of their habitat recieved genuine protection, but I would feel more comfortable with 10 to 20%.

Quote:
Are they going to apply to all species or just groper? Have you concocted this policy just so you can get your thrills spearing groper?

Yes the NTZ would apply to all species. No it is not focussed on groper in any way. It is just a good example of a species for which traditional restrictions could be relaxed. It is probably the best example, given the degree of overprotection they currently recieve.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #116 - Sep 21st, 2011 at 9:03pm

115 date=1316601529] Quote:

But it would not be the same mistake if you waited until they are sufficently protected in no take zones.

How do you know they will be sufficiently protected? Do you really think it's a good idea to have a few areas with healthy nos surrounded by depleted areas?

Quote:

They are currently over protected to an absurd level. Do you really think that counts as 'working'.

How is a spearfishing ban on one species absurd (especially given the past history)? It's a minor impost.

You have an entirely different set of goal posts for traditional fisheries management tools vs marine parks. You would accept anythinhg from over-protecting to the point a species became so common it got in the way while spearfishing, to underprotection to the brink of extinction, provided the species eventually recovered.

That's not what I said FD. I don't condone overfishing or lack of proper management. And more to the point thats not our current situation (ie our starting point for looking at further management initiatives).

PS: I sorry those pesky groper get in the way of your cheap thrills (not).

Quote:
If there is no spillover effect from an area as large as NSW do you really think that there will be one under your plan?

I did not say there is no spillover PJ. This is your misunderstanding of what I posted. I have corrected you sevel times, but for some reason it is not sinking in.

Mainly because you said that there is distinct change in numbers right at the border. This does not auger well for your spillover theory.  

Quote:
How many and how big are your NTZ's going to be?

The typical size currently used in NSW would do. I think it would be reasonable to allow spearing of groper once more than 5% of their habitat recieved genuine protection, but I would feel more comfortable with 10 to 20%.

Quote:
Are they going to apply to all species or just groper? Have you concocted this policy just so you can get your thrills spearing groper?

Yes the NTZ would apply to all species. No it is not focussed on groper in any way. It is just a good example of a species for which traditional restrictions could be relaxed. It is probably the best example, given the degree of overprotection they currently recieve. [/quote]

They are predominantly protected from spearfishing (which has been demonstrated to have been usustainable). The restrictions don't amount to much in the way of an impost on the community but have resulted a remarkable turn around - sounds like effective management to me.  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #117 - Sep 21st, 2011 at 9:38pm

Quote:
How do you know they will be sufficiently protected? Do you really think it's a good idea to have a few areas with healthy nos surrounded by depleted areas?

I have already pointed out to you several times that the actual observations are of increased numbers both inside and out of the no take zone. So yes I think this is a good idea.

Quote:
How is a spearfishing ban on one species absurd (especially given the past history)? It's a minor impost.

It is absurd because the species is far too over protected. I am not referring to how much it impacts people, but am judging it on it's own merits. An absurd law does not magically become less absurd because you can work around it and it only affects a few poeple.

Quote:
I don't condone overfishing or lack of proper management.

You defend it constantly, on the grounds that the spoecies in question recovered some time after collapsing. You even bring up examples of stocks collapsing as evidence that traditional techniques work.

Quote:

You sound like the hippies I talk to on other forums. Does it really bother you that I enjoy what I do?

Quote:
Mainly because you said that there is distinct change in numbers right at the border. This does not auger well for your spillover theory.

Yes it does. It is the change in population density that causes spillover.

Quote:
sounds like effective management to me

Here you go again, claiming mismanagement is actually good management because it lies somewhere between a stock going extinct and a complete ban on a common species.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #118 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 6:57am

[date=1316605114] Quote:

I have already pointed out to you several times that the actual observations are of increased numbers both inside and out of the no take zone. So yes I think this is a good idea.

Which observations are those - are you talking about groper?

Quote:

It is absurd because the species is far too over protected. I am not referring to how much it impacts people, but am judging it on it's own merits. An absurd law does not magically become less absurd because you can work around it and it only affects a few poeple.

Your the only person to have used healthy nos of a fish species to justify a move to marine parks.

Quote:
I don't condone overfishing or lack of proper management.

You defend it constantly, on the grounds that the spoecies in question recovered some time after collapsing. You even bring up examples of stocks collapsing as evidence that traditional techniques work.

Thats not defending it - just merely pointing out the resilience of our popular fish stocks to fishing pressure. PS: you haven't proved that our fisheries are mismanaged or headed for collapse. 

Quote:

You sound like the hippies I talk to on other forums. Does it really bother you that I enjoy what I do?

Well it is a rather mindless activity - spearing a slow moving, inquisitve fish. As a practice it has been shown to be unsustainable. What bothers me more is that you want a network of marine parks just so that you can do it.

Quote:

Yes it does. It is the change in population density that causes spillover.

If there was a significant spillover then there wouldn't be such a sharp change.

Quote:
sounds like effective management to me

Here you go again, claiming mismanagement is actually good management because it lies somewhere between a stock going extinct and a complete ban on a common species.

It's nowhere near a complete ban.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #119 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 9:12pm

Quote:

Observations of marine parks. I think there is something about it in the consensus statement. It is a recurring theme in marine park research. In any case, the idea that marine parks cause problems through displacement if effort is wrong.

Quote:
Your the only person to have used healthy nos of a fish species to justify a move to marine parks.

No PJ, I am using the numbers to justify a return to spearing.

Quote:
Thats not defending it - just merely pointing out the resilience of our popular fish stocks to fishing pressure. PS: you haven't proved that our fisheries are mismanaged or headed for collapse.

You contradict yourself again PJ. Why do I need to prove that our stocks are mismanaged, unless you deny it? How can you deny they are mismanaged while acknowleding the repeated failures? These collapses are not the only way that fisheries management can fail, just the most obvious one.

Quote:
As a practice it has been shown to be unsustainable.

Wrong PJ. Sustainability is all about how many are taken, not how exciting it is to take them,

Quote:
If there was a significant spillover then there wouldn't be such a sharp change.

Not true. I have not quantified the 'sharpness' in any manner, and even if I had it could not support your argument. You have your logic all backwards.

Quote:

Nor is a marine park.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #120 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 7:18am

date=1316689922] Quote:

Observations of marine parks. I think there is something about it in the consensus statement. It is a recurring theme in marine park research. In any case, the idea that marine parks cause problems through displacement if effort is wrong.

I thought as much - the consensus statement. Don't you realise by now how pathetic and inept it is to fall back to that every time your in trouble?

Quote:

No PJ, I am using the numbers to justify a return to spearing.

Spearing under a marine park regime.

Quote:

You contradict yourself again PJ. Why do I need to prove that our stocks are mismanaged, unless you deny it? How can you deny they are mismanaged while acknowleding the repeated failures? These collapses are not the only way that fisheries management can fail, just the most obvious one.

The operative word is are. That was your theme at the start of this thread - which I have debunked. Your so called repeated failures lack relevance due to time or they have occured in other countries. In the worse cases the fisheries biologists weren't listened to. The fact that we are getting better at managing our fisheries can't be used as a criticism. Your argument is like saying capitalism has problems so we must switch to communism - it's Leninistic.

Quote:
As a practice it has been shown to be unsustainable.

Wrong PJ. Sustainability is all about how many are taken, not how exciting it is to take them,

The problem is with the method - it's too effective.

Quote:

Not true. I have not quantified the 'sharpness' in any manner, and even if I had it could not support your argument. You have your logic all backwards.

So where are all the spillover fish hiding FD?

Quote:

Nor is a marine park.

Other methods don't seriously damage our ability to go fishing like marine parks do. Eg sport fishermen benefit greatly from tight bag and size limits.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2011 at 6:08pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #121 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 11:34pm

Quote:
I thought as much - the consensus statement. Don't you realise by now how pathetic and inept it is to fall back to that every time your in trouble?

As I pointed out (and you seem to have conveniently ignored), it is a common theme in marine park research. I point it out to you because it is a good place to start if you want to find out where the scientific community stands.

Quote:
The operative word is are. That was your theme at the start of this thread - which I have debunked.

I believe you posted a few numbers contradicting mine and I asked you several times where you got them from, but you failed. That is not debaunking anything PJ. That is making stuff up.

Quote:
Your so called repeated failures lack relevance due to time

Not true. Taking time into account, you will realise that they are becoming more frequent, not less frequent. We do not need a new stock collapse every morning for the issue to still be relevant.

Quote:
In the worse cases the fisheries biologists weren't listened to

But it is the fisheries biologists who are now saying we need marine parks. It is you who picks and chooses the one or two 'biologists' who agree with you over the hundreds that don't. It is you who claims that traditional tools would work fine if we listened to the biologists, but the biologists are saying the opposite.

Quote:
Your argument is like saying capitalism has problems so we must switch to communism - it's Leninistic.

My argument is not like that at all PJ.

Quote:

And you accuse me of being lenninistic. Too often I hear wannabe fisheries managers with their head stuck in the past focussing on the method rather than the quantity taken. It is especially absurd with the pro sector, where we have ten fishermen doing the job that one could do.

Quote:

In people's freezer. This is the point you don't seem to get. Spillover means people actually catching fish.

Quote:
Other methods don't seriously damage our ability to go fishing like marine parks do.

It is all in your head PJ.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #122 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 10:13am

] Quote:

As I pointed out (and you seem to have conveniently ignored), it is a common theme in marine park research. I point it out to you because it is a good place to start if you want to find out where the scientific community stands.

It's a 'theme' with very little empirical data - as it has been said a case of putting the cart before the horse. If anything has been ignored is my look into the consensus statement and the relevation that many of the signatories have links to the Pew Charitable Trust.

Quote:
The operative word is are. That was your theme at the start of this thread - which I have debunked.

I believe you posted a few numbers contradicting mine and I asked you several times where you got them from, but you failed. That is not debaunking anything PJ. That is making stuff up.

I did tell you where I got them from. I reminded you several times. It says something about your mentality that you persist with this line of argument.

Quote:
Your so called repeated failures lack relevance due to time

Not true. Taking time into account, you will realise that they are becoming more frequent, not less frequent. We do not need a new stock collapse every morning for the issue to still be relevant.

There becoming less frequent. The number of overfished species in Australia has declined. There is also ample evidence of rebounding stocks - even with the slow growing orange roughy.

Quote:
In the worse cases the fisheries biologists weren't listened to

But it is the fisheries biologists who are now saying we need marine parks. It is you who picks and chooses the one or two 'biologists' who agree with you over the hundreds that don't. It is you who claims that traditional tools would work fine if we listened to the biologists, but the biologists are saying the opposite.

Rubbish. Why don't you name a few? Which fisheries department did our marine parks originate (hint - none)?

Quote:
Your argument is like saying capitalism has problems so we must switch to communism - it's Leninistic.

My argument is not like that at all PJ.

It comes from the same motivation - to use minor problems as an excuse to interfer with peoples lives. There are other similarities, the vilification of opponents, sticking to a doctrine regardless of the evidence.   

Quote:

And you accuse me of being lenninistic. Too often I hear wannabe fisheries managers with their head stuck in the past focussing on the method rather than the quantity taken. It is especially absurd with the pro sector, where we have ten fishermen doing the job that one could do.

If a method is too effective then the siplest and most effective way is to ban it. Do you think we should bring back kingfish traps?

Quote:

In people's freezer. This is the point you don't seem to get. Spillover means people actually catching fish.

There should be some evidence in the wild numbers. Looks like you are making things up as you go along.

Quote:
Other methods don't seriously damage our ability to go fishing like marine parks do.

It is all in your head PJ.

So am I imagining the eye teeth picked out of the best fishing spots in these parks? The massive fines? It's patently obvious you know nothing about angling (you see quite unsympathetic to it), so how would you know?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #123 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 11:09am

Quote:
It's a 'theme' with very little empirical data

Wrong PJ. The theme is the empirical data. They find the same thing over and over again. It is not 'postulations' like from the people you like to quote. There are very thick books that list the evidence. For the one single example you could find, there is an entire field of research showing that the opposite is almost always the case. That is why it is so absurd when you try to scratch together support from your argument citing individual researchers and studies.

Quote:
I did tell you where I got them from. I reminded you several times. It says something about your mentality that you persist with this line of argument.

So post the link if you have nothing to hide. I am not sure why this is always such a drama for you.

Quote:
There becoming less frequent.

LOL.

Quote:
Rubbish. Why don't you name a few?

For starters, there is a long list of them on the consensus statement that you are already aware of - hence your juvenile attempts to discredit them.

Quote:
It comes from the same motivation

Surely it is the facts that matter?

Quote:
There are other similarities, the vilification of opponents

Like you trying to make something out of the fact that some of the signatories recieve funds from pew? While totally missing the point?

Quote:
If a method is too effective then the siplest and most effective way is to ban it.

Simplicity should not be the primary goal of fisheries management.

Quote:
Do you think we should bring back kingfish traps?

I think that for whatever commercial take is allowed, it should be up to the fishermen what method to use. Kingfish traps are a great method with little bycatch, no bait, no hooking mortality etc. It is the amount taken that fisheries managers should be controlling. They should not be trying to 'Lenninise' the industry by making the methods less efficient so it takes more people to do it.

Quote:
There should be some evidence in the wild numbers. Looks like you are making things up as you go along.

Their probably is, but your claims that the evidence is somehow contained in the obsrvations I posted just shows you wouldn't evden know where to start looking,.

Quote:
So am I imagining the eye teeth picked out of the best fishing spots in these parks?

No idea. I have heard this claim over and over again in many contexts. I have never seen it verified in any way. The interactions I have had have been the exact opposite - I pointed out a favourite spot in a proposed no take zone and they moved the no take zone for me.

Quote:
It's patently obvious you know nothing about angling (you see quite unsympathetic to it)

Again PJ, you really should stick to what I actually post, as what you claim to be obvious is always wrong. Do we need to turn this into a 'my dick is bigger than yours' argument?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #124 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 12:02pm

/120#123 date=1316826553] Quote:
It's a 'theme' with very little empirical data

Wrong PJ. The theme is the empirical data. They find the same thing over and over again. It is not 'postulations' like from the people you like to quote. There are very thick books that list the evidence. For the one single example you could find, there is an entire field of research showing that the opposite is almost always the case.

Rubbish - all the reviews and citations lead back to very little empirical evidence. It's a case of 'what is said must be true'.

That is why it is so absurd when you try to scratch together support from your argument citing individual researchers and studies.

Some of them are reviews which have looked at the whole body of research.

Quote:

So post the link if you have nothing to hide. I am not sure why this is always such a drama for you.

I haven't 'hidden' anything. Are you telling me you can't find the ABC science website? The figues are also quoted in Dr Julian Peperells's recent column in Modern Fishing. I told you there was a technical problem in posting the link.

Quote:
There becoming less frequent.

LOL.

Is that all you can come up with?

Quote:
Rubbish. Why don't you name a few?

For starters, there is a long list of them on the consensus statement that you are already aware of - hence your juvenile attempts to discredit them.

When we went through this before you couldn't name one who was a fisheries biologist.

Quote:
It comes from the same motivation

Surely it is the facts that matter?

Quote:
There are other similarities, the vilification of opponents

Like you trying to make something out of the fact that some of the signatories recieve funds from pew? While totally missing the point?

Quite a few receive Pew funding. Its a valid point.

Quote:
If a method is too effective then the siplest and most effective way is to ban it.

Simplicity should not be the primary goal of fisheries management.

I said simple and effective.

Quote:
Do you think we should bring back kingfish traps?

I think that for whatever commercial take is allowed, it should be up to the fishermen what method to use. Kingfish traps are a great method with little bycatch, no bait, no hooking mortality etc. It is the amount taken that fisheries managers should be controlling. They should not be trying to 'Lenninise' the industry by making the methods less efficient so it takes more people to do it.

It didn't work well when they were allowed. And look at the situation now. Your arguing in the face of results.

Quote:

Their probably is, but your claims that the evidence is somehow contained in the obsrvations I posted just shows you wouldn't evden know where to start looking,.

You said there was a sudden and sharp distinction at the border. Are you now saying you were just tlaking bs?

Quote:
So am I imagining the eye teeth picked out of the best fishing spots in these parks?

No idea. I have heard this claim over and over again in many contexts. I have never seen it verified in any way. The interactions I have had have been the exact opposite - I pointed out a favourite spot in a proposed no take zone and they moved the no take zone for me.

The fact is even very strict bag and size limits are less of an impost - they are even a positive for angling.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #125 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 12:56pm

Quote:
Rubbish - all the reviews and citations lead back to very little empirical evidence.

Have you borrowed that book I recommended? It lists the actual empirical evidence. It is a rather large book, but it is a good place to start. It is better than confusing what you find on anti marine park websites for mainstream marine biology.

Quote:

I find that hard to believe. The book I mentioned only managed a brief outline of the more improtant studies. Your 'review' sounds more like extremely selective picking and choosing, with reporting targetted at people who don't know enough to tell the difference.

Quote:
I haven't 'hidden' anything. Are you telling me you can't find the ABC science website?

I am telling you that I can't find the numbers you posted. It really is quite simple PJ. I shouldn't have to make a big deal about you posting a link to where you get your numbers from. If you wanted people to take you seriously, you would have done it when you first posted the numbers.

Quote:
When we went through this before you couldn't name one who was a fisheries biologist.

They are all genuine marine biologists, unlike your 'academics', half of whom made up their credentials.

Quote:

By that logic we should ban fishing entirely. It is the most simple and most effective. Do you see now how absurd your argument is?

Quote:
It didn't work well when they were allowed. And look at the situation now. Your arguing in the face of results.

No PJ, I am arguing against juvenile oversimiplification. It is not the method that causes overfishing, it is the amount taken.

Quote:
You said there was a sudden and sharp distinction at the border. Are you now saying you were just tlaking bs?

No PJ. I am saying you are incapable of putting this into context and interpretting it correctly.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #126 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 5:55pm

date=1316833010] Quote:
Rubbish - all the reviews and citations lead back to very little empirical evidence.

Have you borrowed that book I recommended? It lists the actual empirical evidence. It is a rather large book, but it is a good place to start. It is better than confusing what you find on anti marine park websites for mainstream marine biology.

Where am I going to borrow it from? What do you think it proves?

Quote:

I find that hard to believe. The book I mentioned only managed a brief outline of the more improtant studies. Your 'review' sounds more like extremely selective picking and choosing, with reporting targetted at people who don't know enough to tell the difference.

What about 'Burdens of Proof'? It did a comprehensive review, as did the CSIRO division of Rural Sciences. Have you accounted for the fishing pressure, if you haven't then your the one picking and chosing.

Quote:
I haven't 'hidden' anything. Are you telling me you can't find the ABC science website?

I am telling you that I can't find the numbers you posted. It really is quite simple PJ. I shouldn't have to make a big deal about you posting a link to where you get your numbers from. If you wanted people to take you seriously, you would have done it when you first posted the numbers.

I got the numbers from the ABC science article and from the Modern Fishing article. You got yours from an equivalent source. All are quoting ABARE. Is there one standard for you and another for me?  

Quote:

They are all genuine marine biologists, unlike your 'academics', half of whom made up their credentials.

You mean there actually ecologist and not fisheries scientists. The former, it has been observed, have no scepticism on marine parks. PS: who has made up their credentials?

Quote:

By that logic we should ban fishing entirely. It is the most simple and most effective. Do you see now how absurd your argument is?

How is banning fishing entirely effective? I am talking about effective sustainable use. If a method is not overly efficient then that is a good thing - it tends to be self limiting and helps keep the fishery sustainable. Your the one being absurd.

Quote:

No PJ, I am arguing against juvenile oversimiplification. It is not the method that causes overfishing, it is the amount taken.

You like projecting your own flaws back onto me.

Quote:

No PJ. I am saying you are incapable of putting this into context and interpretting it correctly.

You haven't given an indication of any expertise in the subject.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #127 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 6:12pm

Quote:
Where am I going to borrow it from?

A library? That's where I got my copy.

Quote:
What do you think it proves?

It proves that your claims about there only being a handful of studies providing genuine evidence of the impact of marine parks are bogus.

Quote:
What about 'Burdens of Proof'? It did a comprehensive review

No it didn't.

Quote:
as did the CSIRO division of Rural Sciences

What did they conclude? And what is a rural sciences division going to get out of research into marine parks?

Quote:
Have you accounted for the fishing pressure, if you haven't then your the one picking and chosing.

This is another great example of your complete ignorance of what is going on in the field. Why anyone who is even half aware of what is going on would consider asking this is beyond reason.

Quote:
I got the numbers from the ABC science article and from the Modern Fishing article.

LOL. And a modern fishing article. No wonder you were trying to hide where you got the numbers from.

One last time for PJ, please provide the link. If you can't do that, why bother with your stupid responses? What do you think it proves if you can't back up your claims?

Quote:
How is banning fishing entirely effective? I am talking about effective sustainable use.

PJ the exact same question applies to your postion.

Quote:
If a method is not overly efficient then that is a good thing - it tends to be self limiting and helps keep the fishery sustainable. Your the one being absurd.

Do you think it would be a good thing for fisheries managers to force pro fishermen to use inferior techniques to catch fish that cost a lot more and reduce the profit from a fishery rather than simply controlling the total catch?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #128 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 7:08pm

127 date=1316851966] Quote:
Where am I going to borrow it from?

A library? That's where I got my copy.

Duh, which library?

Quote:
What do you think it proves?

It proves that your claims about there only being a handful of studies providing genuine evidence of the impact of marine parks are bogus.

And you would know if the studies are rigorous?

Quote:

No it didn't.

How do you know that?

Quote:
as did the CSIRO division of Rural Sciences

What did they conclude? And what is a rural sciences division going to get out of research into marine parks?

That the benifits of marine parks as the main fisheries management tool are theoretical and not proven.

Quote:
Have you accounted for the fishing pressure, if you haven't then your the one picking and chosing.

This is another great example of your complete ignorance of what is going on in the field. Why anyone who is even half aware of what is going on would consider asking this is beyond reason.

If you don't account for fishing pressure then you are engaging in charletonism (of course in your case I knew that already).

Quote:
I got the numbers from the ABC science article and from the Modern Fishing article.

LOL. And a modern fishing article. No wonder you were trying to hide where you got the numbers from.

It was written by Dr Julian Peperell - one of our most experienced and respect fisheries biologists!

One last time for PJ, please provide the link. If you can't do that, why bother with your stupid responses? What do you think it proves if you can't back up your claims?

Are you really that much of a moron? I said it was a technical problem. Are you incapable of doing a google or looking up the ABC science website? If you google 'survival of the fishes' the article should be the first hit!

Quote:
How is banning fishing entirely effective? I am talking about effective sustainable use.

PJ the exact same question applies to your postion.

Quote:
If a method is not overly efficient then that is a good thing - it tends to be self limiting and helps keep the fishery sustainable. Your the one being absurd.

Do you think it would be a good thing for fisheries managers to force pro fishermen to use inferior techniques to catch fish that cost a lot more and reduce the profit from a fishery rather than simply controlling the total catch?

Only in some cases where a particular method is overly effective. The only reason I can see that you cant comprehend this is your itchy trigger finger regarding groper.
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2011 at 7:24pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #129 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 7:49am

Here we go, the copy works using the keyboard instead of  the control panel for some reason. Can you stop whinning now FD and argue about something of substance?

In Depth › Science Features
Survival of the fishes

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2010/09/09/3003951.htm

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #130 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 12:38pm

[quote author=freediver link=1307447292/120#127
Quote:

No it didn't.

[/quote]

Here's what they did. How can you say it's not comprehensive? How many papers are reviewed in the unamed book of yours?

"Here, we critically examine the literature from 1990–2001 to determine (1) the relative effort put into empirical and theoretical approaches to predict reserve effects, and (2) the quality of empirical evidence available to support theoretical predictions. It is not the purpose of this article to single out particular studies for criticism
(although this is sometimes inevitable to provide examples), nor to draw conclusions concerning the efficacy of marine reserves.
Our purpose is to examine the science, rather than politics, of the field of ‘marine reserves’. We examined the relevant peer-reviewed primary literature from 1990–2001 by searching the Current
Contents and Science Citation Index (ISI) databases using the keywords ‘marine reserve’ found anywhere in a paper. Also included were papers that were not in the search databases but were
cited in papers that were
(these included refereed proceedings of symposia, but excluded book chapters and unpublished reports). Only studies that directly investigated the effects of reserves
were included. Many articles that explored specific biological issues mentioned marine reserves incidentally in the discussion. These were removed from the analysis, as were those concerned
solely with policy, management or advocacy. The remaining papers (n
205)
were classified into three groups, namely empirical (presenting field data from existing reserves), theoretical (conceptual
or numerical modelling studies) and review (including notes and ideas papers based on other literature).
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2011 at 7:04am by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #131 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 7:38am

"LOL. And a modern fishing article. No wonder you were trying to hide where you got the numbers from."

Who's hiding now?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #132 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 7:49pm

No PJ. I just gave up asking you for a link to where you got those numbers from. It seems that ignoring you is the best way to get you to debate like an adult after all.

pjb05 wrote on Sep 25th, 2011 at 7:49am:
Here we go, the copy works using the keyboard instead of  the control panel for some reason. Can you stop whinning now FD and argue about something of substance?

Survival of the fishes

Made pretty much the same points I have made here and elsewhere that you have trouble with, eg:

Quote:
At the same time, advances in fishing technology, from enormous factory boats to 'fish attracting devices' and global positioning systems, allowed fishers to catch more fish, more efficiently.

Despite this diversity, most of Australia's waters are relatively low in nutrients, meaning there are actually fewer fish there than in other countries. Reflecting this, our overall fish catch ranks just 46th in the world.

Quote:
Concern about overfishing was also a factor in the decision by governments to establish marine protected areas where fishing was banned.

Quote:
Both marine parks and well-managed fisheries are essential to ensure sustainable fish stocks, say the Australian Marine Sciences Association, a group of 900 Australian marine scientists.

What exactly did you hope to prove with the link? Were you hoping people would pay more attention to the one scientist who disagrees than the 900?

Quote:
There are also a large number of stocks that are classified as uncertain.

Quote:
"The high proportion of stocks that remain classified as uncertain (approximately 42 per cent for overfished status and 32 per cent for overfishing status) is a continuing cause for concern and highlights the importance of applying the precautionary approach in fisheries management," the report states.

Quote:
"There are still overfished stocks in every state, and in the Commonwealth fisheries almost one in five stocks is overfished or subject to overfishing. There are still fisheries that throw back more dead catch than they keep, and there are is still significant fishing pressure on species for which we have no stock assessments."

Quote:
But he also notes that our fisheries suffer from large volumes of marine life caught but discarded, especially in the prawn fisheries, and considerable unreported fishing.

Is this what you are referring to when you say when can trust scientists to manage stocks well with traditional tools even though the scientists themselves say otherwise?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #133 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 8:58pm

Yes that must have taken a lot of thought, cherry picking references to oveseas problems, the few remaining, minor problems with our fisheries and quotes from conservationists (and AMSA) who just don't like fishing. These comments obviously just there for balance don't change the following; where does it say our fishing pressure is increasing or that that the number of overfished species is increasing? It says the opposite in case you haven't noticed!

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #134 - Oct 2nd, 2011 at 9:18am

No PJ. I just gave up asking you for a link to where you got those numbers from. It seems that ignoring you is the best way to get you to debate like an adult after all.

There was nothing ever stopping you looking up the article. PS, what mental deficiency stops you understanding there was a technical reason for not providing the link?

Survival of the fishes

Made pretty much the same points I have made here and elsewhere that you have trouble with, eg:

Yes funny that - you make the exact same points as the anti-fishing mafia.

]At the same time, advances in fishing technology, from enormous factory boats to 'fish attracting devices' and global positioning systems, allowed fishers to catch more fish, more efficiently.

How many enormous factory boats are in Australian waters? In fact they not large boats at all. What do you mean by fish attracting devices? Your technology argument was further negated by your ham- fisted depiction of rec fisherment searching for snapper in SE Qld with their 'high tech' depth sounders. Also you want to bring back an overly efficient method in the case of groper.  

Despite this diversity, most of Australia's waters are relatively low in nutrients, meaning there are actually fewer fish there than in other countries. Reflecting this, our overall fish catch ranks just 46th in the world.

This is often repeated, but when you look at the actual empirical evidence we are about average in primary productivity for warm temperate seas.

Concern about overfishing was also a factor in the decision by governments to establish marine protected areas where fishing was banned.

Most of these parks and their implimentation show an anti-fishing bias. Indeed the independent scientific review into NSW marine parks pointed to the poor scholarship in the MPA's science paper.  

What exactly did you hope to prove with the link? Were you hoping people would pay more attention to the one scientist who disagrees than the 900?

I have quoted more than one scientist, as does that article. As for AMSA you have quoted a spokesman for the group, not 900 scientists. Even then the group is made up not of practicing fisheries scientist but includes students, ecologists etc.

There are also a large number of stocks that are classified as uncertain.

"The high proportion of stocks that remain classified as uncertain (approximately 42 per cent for overfished status and 32 per cent for overfishing status) is a continuing cause for concern and highlights the importance of applying the precautionary approach in fisheries management," the report states.

"There are still overfished stocks in every state, and in the Commonwealth fisheries almost one in five stocks is overfished or subject to overfishing. There are still fisheries that throw back more dead catch than they keep, and there are is still significant fishing pressure on species for which we have no stock assessments."

But he also notes that our fisheries suffer from large volumes of marine life caught but discarded, especially in the prawn fisheries, and considerable unreported fishing.

Is this what you are referring to when you say when can trust scientists to manage stocks well with traditional tools even though the scientists themselves say otherwise?

A few minor problems does not mean they are not managed well, nor that we should hand over their management to the anti-fishing mafia. PS: I think you will also find that many of these problems have already been adressed.
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2011 at 10:09am by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #135 - Oct 8th, 2011 at 4:57pm

It doesn't seem like the AMSA is a reliable or unbiased source. Here, in an act of charletonism, they attribute all the dollar value of the tourism in the GBR area to the existence of the marine park! On top of that they don't mention the 300 million in compensation money or the ongoing lost economic activity from fishing related business:

http://www.realdirt.com.au/

This week two of the nation’s leading fish scientists, Professor David Booth and Dr Will Figueira, representing the Australian Marine Sciences Association, gave evidence to the NSW Parliament on marine parks…here is an edited extract of their submission.

The costs of implementing marine reserves are often touted as a reason not to implement them. Certainly there are costs however the economic benefits as a result of increased tourism typically far outweigh these. For instance management costs for the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park are on the order of $35 million per year while revenues resulting from the park are approximately $5 billion per year.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print