Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 24
Send Topic Print
Should Abbott apologise to Flannery? (Read 63321 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Should Abbott apologise to Flannery?
May 11th, 2011 at 10:07pm

If the coalition keeps stumbling on such basic mathematical and logical concepts, how can they be expected to grasp the science and the economics of the issue?

http://www.ozpolitic.com/articles/coalition-climate-change-policy.html#should-to...

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

creep
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Should Abbott apologise to Flannery?
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2011 at 10:25pm

Is this the same Tim Flannery that stated that due to global warming that we'd not have any rain again and that the dams would never get to be filled?

The same Tim Flannery that's been proved to be a scaremongerer, scam artist oh and one with a vested interest at the expense of the taxpayer.

"In 2005, Flannery predicted Sydney's dams could be dry in as little as two years because global warming was drying up the rains, leaving the city "facing extreme difficulties with water".

Check Sydney's dam levels today: 73 per cent. Hmm. Not a good start.

In 2008, Flannery said: "The water problem is so severe for Adelaide that it may run out of water by early 2009."

Check Adelaide's water storage levels today: 77 per cent.

In 2007, Flannery predicted cities such as Brisbane would never again have dam-filling rains, as global warming had caused "a 20 per cent decrease in rainfall in some areas" and made the soil too hot, "so even the rain that falls isn't actually going to fill our dams and river systems ... ".

Check the Murray-Darling system today: in flood. Check Brisbane's dam levels: 100 per cent full."

"In 2007, Flannery predicted global warming would so dry our continent that desalination plants were needed to save three of our biggest cities from disaster.

As he put it: "Over the past 50 years, southern Australia has lost about 20 per cent of its rainfall, and one cause is almost certainly global warming ...

"In Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane, water supplies are so low they need desalinated water urgently, possibly in as little as 18 months."

One premier, Queensland's Peter Beattie, took such predictions - made by other warming alarmists, too - so seriously that he spent more than $1 billion of taxpayers' money on a desalination plant, saying "it is only prudent to assume at this stage that lower-than-usual rainfalls could eventuate".

But check that desalination plant today: mothballed indefinitely, now that the rains have returned."

"(Incidentally, notice how many of Flannery's big predictions date from 2007? That was the year warming alarmism reached its most hysterical pitch and Flannery was named Australian of the Year.)

Back to another tip Flannery gave in that year of warming terror. In 2007, he warned that "the social licence of coal to operate is rapidly being withdrawn globally" by governments worried by the warming allegedly caused by burning the stuff.

We should switch to "green" power instead, said Flannery, who recommended geothermal - pumping water on to hot rocks deep underground to create steam.

"There are hot rocks in South Australia that potentially have enough embedded energy in them to run Australia's economy for the best part of a century," he said.

"The technology to extract that energy and turn it into electricity is relatively straightforward."

Flannery repeatedly promoted this "straightforward" technology, and in 2009, the Rudd government awarded $90 million to Geodynamics to build a geothermal power plant in the Cooper Basin, the very area Flannery recommended. Coincidentally, Flannery has for years been a Geodynamics shareholder, a vested interest he sometimes declares.

Time to check on how that business tip went. Answer: erk.

The technology Flannery said was "relatively straighforward" wasn't."

"One of Geodynamics' five wells at Innamincka collapsed in an explosion that damaged two others. All had to be plugged with cement.

The project has now been hit by the kind of floods Flannery didn't predict in a warming world, with Geodynamics announcing work had been further "delayed following extensive local rainfall in the Cooper Basin region"." The irony!!!

"The technological and financing difficulties mean there is no certainty now that a commercial-scale plant will ever get built, let alone prove viable, so it's no surprise the company's share price has almost halved in four months.

Never mind, here comes Flannery with his latest scares and you-beaut fix.

His job as Climate Commission chief, says Climate Change Minister Greg Combet, is to "provide an authoritative, independent source of information on climate change to the Australian community" and "build the consensus about reducing Australia's carbon pollution".

That, translated, means selling us whatever scheme the Government cooks up to tax carbon dioxide, doing to the economy what the floods have done to Flannery's hot-rocks investment.

See why I say Flannery is the right man for this job? Who better to teach us how little we really know about global warming and how much it may cost to panic? "

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/it-pays-to-check-out-flannerys-predictions-about-climate-change-says-andrew-bolt/story-e6frfhqf-1226004644818
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2011 at 10:40pm by creep »  

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #2 - May 11th, 2011 at 10:46pm

Abbott should first be asked to actually sit down and listen to someone other than a contrarian, denialist, spokesperson, to see if he is actually capable of understanding just how totally wrong his understanding of the issue is, and then he should either try to justify his misinterpretation of Flannery's statement, and if he cannot do that, then he should definitely apologise, publicly, and sincerely.
If he chooses not to do that then the accusations against him, as being a deliberate confusionalist, who is deliberately promoting false information, and outright lies, for political purposes, could rightly be declared as valid criticism.

Quote:
Is this the same Tim Flannery that stated that due to global warming that we'd not have any rain again and that the dams would never get to be filled?
Creep

Would you mind providing the evidence to support that claim Creep, or should we just take it as yet another piece of deceitful misinformation spread by denialists?

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

creep
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2011 at 10:50pm

mozzaok wrote on May 11th, 2011 at 10:46pm:
Quote:
Creep

Would you mind providing the evidence to support that claim Creep, or should we just take it as yet another piece of deceitful misinformation spread by denialists?

Shame you weren't able to refer to the source.

Much better to listen to the scaremongering from a shareholder who is getting the government to buy into his investments.
Wonder when Flannery will be retracking his outrageous comments now that he has been proved wrong as well as his claim of global warming.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #4 - May 11th, 2011 at 10:54pm

Still waiting Creep.
I am not asking for Andrew Bolt's interpretations, where he tells you what "he thinks",Flannery has said, but actual links to Flannery making the claims that you have, seemingly falsely, attributed to him.

IP Logged

creep
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2011 at 10:56pm

mozzaok wrote on May 11th, 2011 at 10:54pm:
Still waiting Creep.
I am not asking for Andrew Bolt's interpretations, where he tells you what "he thinks",Flannery has said, but actual links to Flannery making the claims that you have, seemingly falsely, attributed to him.

Once again it is a shame that you are unable to refer to the source that was quoted.
Shame that you have ignored Flannery's comments now that he has been proved wrong.
But you can keep your head in the sand, with the non-existant rains that we are having you won't have to worry about being drowned.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #6 - May 11th, 2011 at 11:01pm

So that is a NO?
A common trait amongst denialists appears to be a total lack of integrity, in the way they choose to present information, where they make false statements, yet never feel the slightest compunction to verify their claims, and happily just go on repeating, false, discredited misinformation, because it suits their argument.

IP Logged

progressiveslol
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 12th, 2011 at 12:25am

creep wrote on May 11th, 2011 at 10:56pm:
Still waiting Creep.

Once again it is a shame that you are unable to refer to the source that was quoted.
Shame that you have ignored Flannery's comments now that he has been proved wrong.
But you can keep your head in the sand, with the non-existant rains that we are having you won't have to worry about being drowned.

Nice article creep. Looks like Flannery is the kook Abbott said he was. No appology. Maybe Flannery should appologise to the Australian people.

IP Logged

Tony Bradshaw

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #8 - May 12th, 2011 at 1:44am

progressiveslol wrote on May 12th, 2011 at 12:25am:
Still waiting Creep.

Nice article creep. Looks like Flannery is the kook Abbott said he was. No appology. Maybe Flannery should appologise to the Australian people.

Flannery mearly represents the research he undertakes.
BTW is "cods" and "progressiveslol" the same person?????? My guess is Yes.

IP Logged

progressiveslol
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 12th, 2011 at 2:05am

Tony Bradshaw wrote on May 12th, 2011 at 1:44am:
BTW is "cods" and "progressiveslol" the same person?????? My guess is Yes.

Paranoid much. You are so paranoid, you can't even guess straight.

I suggest you look closer but to tell you the truth, if I wanted to be someone else I could. I have a program I wrote myself that gives a persona. I paste text into it and it gives the text the persona of the sock. Changing spelling and some grammar querks. Many other options available to me as well, like multiple networks ect.

lol YOU paranoid now. Ide say give it up, your not good at it.

To the mods j/k

IP Logged

creep
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - May 12th, 2011 at 5:37am

"In 2005, Flannery predicted Sydney's dams could be dry in as little as two years because global warming was drying up the rains, leaving the city "facing extreme difficulties with water"

Flannery was proved wrong
Fact is; Sydney's dam levels today: 73 per cent.

IP Logged

creep
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 12th, 2011 at 5:38am

"In 2008, Flannery said: "The water problem is so severe for Adelaide that it may run out of water by early 2009."

Fact is; Adelaide's water storage levels today: 77 per cent.

IP Logged

creep
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - May 12th, 2011 at 5:39am

"In 2007, Flannery predicted cities such as Brisbane would never again have dam-filling rains, as global warming had caused "a 20 per cent decrease in rainfall in some areas" and made the soil too hot, "so even the rain that falls isn't actually going to fill our dams and river systems ... ".

Fact is; Brisbane's dam levels: 100 per cent full."

IP Logged

creep
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 12th, 2011 at 5:43am

"In 2007, Flannery predicted global warming would so dry our continent that desalination plants were needed to save three of our biggest cities from disaster.

"Over the past 50 years, southern Australia has lost about 20 per cent of its rainfall, and one cause is almost certainly global warming ...

"In Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane, water supplies are so low they need desalinated water urgently, possibly in as little as 18 months."

We should switch to "green" power instead, said Flannery, who recommended geothermal - pumping water on to hot rocks deep underground to create steam.
Flannery repeatedly promoted this "straightforward" technology, and in 2009, the Rudd government awarded $90 million to Geodynamics

And Fact flannery just happened to be a shareholder of Geodynamics

Conflict of interest much?

IP Logged

creep
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - May 12th, 2011 at 5:46am

progressiveslol wrote on May 12th, 2011 at 12:25am:
Still waiting Creep.

This is right.
Flannery should apologise to not only Abbott but to Australia for his outrageous claims and scaremongering.
But the denialists of the scam will continue, as has been shown by one denialist above. Which is why I've had to spoon feed him.

It must be a total let down to the denialists to the scam having had their major scaremongerer's claims proven to be wrong.
So now that the scam has been exposed maybe the scammers will try another series of emails to "adjust" the facts to suit their scam.

It will only fool those that will believe anything despite the truth, the real facts and logic.
Hope Flannery's next scaremongering campaign begins with "Once upon a time..." it would make it so much better for the children!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 24
Send Topic Print