Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Carbon levy has failed overseas (Read 23969 times)
Maqqa
Gold Member

14% - that low?!

Carbon levy has failed overseas
May 5th, 2011 at 2:20pm

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/climate/carbon-levy-has-failed-...

THE carbon tax promised by the Gillard government is unlikely to have a significant effect on either the economy or the use of energy.

But there is some concern that the transition to an emissions trading system in three to five years time could bring a dramatic jump in the carbon price.

The experience in both Europe and New Zealand shows that simply putting a price on carbon has had little influence on behaviour.

Australia's leading climate change economist Warwick McKibbin said it had been established that the only carbon abatement in Europe had been the result of regulation and subsidies, which had boosted the use of solar and wind power.

"A carbon price is just a pure cost and gives you little incentive to avoid it unless you know what will happen in the future," he said.

He said a carbon tax was preferable to an emissions trading system, because it conferred greater certainty, but it was really only an interim step

The chief economist with the New Zealand consultancy Infometrics, Adolf Stroombergen, said the introduction of a carbon emissions trading system 18 months ago had brought some increase in energy prices but had little influence beyond that.

"It has added 3c a litre to the cost of petrol, but we'll probably see that go up 10c a litre over the coming week because of the Middle East. People have got used to prices going up and down," he said.

The Commonwealth Bank's chief New Zealand economist, Chris Tennant-Brown, said environmentalists would regard their scheme as "a bit of a disaster", with the change in price too small to generate change in behaviour.

Bill 14% is not the alcohol content of that wine. It's your poll number

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Re: Carbon levy has failed overseas
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2011 at 2:30pm

If we have had a tax on carbon in England - which I'll be honest I had no idea we did - I can honestly say that none of my family, sister, parents, uncles, aunts etc have changed their behaviour one iota.

We still live exactly as before.

Just if a carbon tax was imposed on me. I would not change the way I live at all. I refuse to see why I should when others don't either.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

progressiveslol
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2011 at 2:58pm

Maqqa wrote on May 5th, 2011 at 2:20pm:
Australia's leading climate change economist Warwick McKibbin said it had been established that the only carbon abatement in Europe had been the result of regulation and subsidies, which had boosted the use of solar and wind power.

"A carbon price is just a pure cost and gives you little incentive to avoid it unless you know what will happen in the future," he said.

So us Abbott followers arent so dumb after all. But we knew that didnt we.

IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Please delete this smacking

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2011 at 3:00pm

"Australia's leading climate change economist Warwick McKibbin"

LMAO. Talk about BIAS.

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #4 - May 5th, 2011 at 3:01pm

I wonder if people do realize that no matter they do, nothing will change in their lifetime anyway?

What a load of old cobblers this whole climate change business is.

Bollox to it.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

progressiveslol
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2011 at 3:03pm

Abbotts policies allows for the market to drive green technology. Governments always fail and cost us more. They should get out of our way. Take labor for an example. What wasters of money they are.

IP Logged

allgoodfun

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2011 at 3:20pm

My predominant argument against the carbon tax has always been that it affects the economy negatively while acheiving none of its stated goals. That makes it a truly pointless policy.

IP Logged

Dsmithy70
Gold Member

ire futuis vobismetipsis

Newy
Reply #7 - May 5th, 2011 at 3:23pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on May 5th, 2011 at 3:01pm:
I wonder if people do realize that no matter they do, nothing will change in their lifetime anyway?

Bollox to it.

Nice to see you thinking of your daughters and grandchildren there Andrei.

REBELLION is not what most people think it is.
REBELLION is when you turn off the TV & start educating & thinking for yourself.
Gavin Nascimento

IP Logged

allgoodfun

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2011 at 3:27pm

Dsmithy70 wrote on May 5th, 2011 at 3:23pm:

Bollox to it.

Whilst clearly self-centred, his attitude is no wrong. A carbon tax is 100% guaranteed to have zero effect on emissions. No country that has tried it has had any success whatseover. That argument alone is enough to through the carbon tax away. You might as well tax evaporation. It has more effect on global warming than CO2.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #9 - May 5th, 2011 at 3:37pm

Please delete wrote on May 5th, 2011 at 3:00pm:

LMAO. Talk about BIAS.

Why? Because he says the tax won't work??

"Warwick McKibbin (born 21 April 1957 in Sydney) is an Australian Professor of Economics at the Australian National University who works across a wide range of areas in applied policy. He has published more than 200 scholarly articles and several books and is internationally known for his contribution to global economic modeling."

That sounds like he might know..He has about the same qualifications as Ross Garnaut..

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Please delete this smacking

Reply #10 - May 5th, 2011 at 3:42pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on May 5th, 2011 at 3:37pm:

LMAO. Talk about BIAS.

"Warwick McKibbin (born 21 April 1957 in Sydney) is an Australian Professor of Economics at the Australian National University who works across a wide range of areas in applied policy. He has published more than 200 scholarly articles and several books and is internationally known for his contribution to global economic modeling."

That sounds like he might know..He has about the same qualifications as Ross Garnaut..

So when was he anointed as "Australia's leading climate change economist"?

Most people wouldn't dare load someone up that way.

And I'm glad you mentioned that he is on a par with someone else ... which of course suggest he ISN'T "Australia's leading climate change economist".

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #11 - May 5th, 2011 at 3:44pm

allgoodfun wrote on May 5th, 2011 at 3:27pm:
Dsmithy70 wrote on May 5th, 2011 at 3:23pm:

Bollox to it.

Whilst clearly self-centred, his attitude is no wrong. A carbon tax is 100% guaranteed to have zero effect on emissions. No country that has tried it has had any success whatseover. That argument alone is enough to through the carbon tax away. You might as well tax evaporation. It has more effect on global warming than CO2.

My attitude isn't self-centred - rather its just one that this is a whole big waste of time and as usual it will be those of us in the middle income bracket whacked the hardest.

Load of nonsense.

IP Logged

skippy.
Gold Member

Reply #12 - May 5th, 2011 at 3:53pm

What will Abbotts plan achieve giving billions of dollars to the major polluters for nothing in return????????????????????????????????

freedivers other forum- POLITICAL ANIMAL
Click onWWW below 
IP Logged

allgoodfun

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 5th, 2011 at 4:47pm

skippy. wrote on May 5th, 2011 at 3:53pm:
What will Abbotts plan achieve giving billions of dollars to the major polluters for nothing in return????????????????????????????????

well since the carbon tax will acheive NOTHING, the bar isnt set that high, is it?

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #14 - May 5th, 2011 at 4:51pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on May 5th, 2011 at 3:37pm:

LMAO. Talk about BIAS.

gizmo, you can't be trusted... we've already sorted this out alright mate.

Don't make me have to tell you again OK! Good son!  Cool Cool Huh Grin Cheesy Wink Smiley Smiley

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print