Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Dump The baby bonus ???? (Read 41699 times)
Maeve

Australian Politics

Dump The baby bonus ????
Apr 28th, 2011 at 1:10pm

Dump baby bonus, says Anglican Church's key advisory group
John Masanauskas, Matt Johnston From: Herald Sun April 28, 2011 12:00AM

UPDATE 11.08am: SOME baby bonuses are being used to feed poker machine habits and buy plasma TVs and should be scrapped, key Independent MP Tony Windsor says.

Mr Windsor has backed calls from a church advisory group to get rid of the baby bonus to help slow down population growth.

The Anglican Church's key advisory group also wants migration cut.

In a submission to a federal population inquiry, the general synod's public affairs commission has described population growth as a taboo subject and "the elephant in the room".

The commission has proposed a halt to "any policy that provides an incentive specifically and primarily to increase Australia's population, notably the baby bonus".

Thanks for voting!

Should the baby bonus be dumped?
Yes 73.07% (464 votes)
No 26.93% (171 votes)
Total votes: 635

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/dump-baby-bonus-says-church/story-e6frf7jo-1226045857136

What Do YOU think ?????

IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Please delete this smacking

Re: Dump The baby bonus ????
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 1:13pm

Absolutely. Gone in 60 seconds.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 1:17pm

Or at very least change the qualifications..

Paying bogans to bonk probably wasn't the original intention...

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

skippy.
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 1:22pm

I don't often agree with "the church" but in this case they are spot on.

freedivers other forum- POLITICAL ANIMAL
Click onWWW below 
IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Please delete this smacking

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 1:22pm

Anything to get their vote, gizmo.

Remember Costello? One for mum, one for dad and one for the country?

Who gets the seventh?

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 1:23pm

If only the Libs had put the best interests of children and families first in the first instance - and increased existing Family Tax Benefit payments across the early years of a child's life (and/or introduced a sensible Maternity/Parental Pay system) for low-middle income families...

Instead, they went for an ill-conceived, counter-productive and anti-social non-means-tested child-bearing incentive scam - as if putting a lump-sum payout on a baby's head was ever a good idea!?

To make matters worse, they also incentivised bean-counters to run high-cost govt-subsidised production line Child Handling Centres - and in the process destroyed the existing affordable and family-oriented community childcare system...

Go figure, eh!?

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Life_goes_on
Gold Member

400kms south of Yobsville, Qld
Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 1:28pm

Quote:
Paying bogans to bonk probably wasn't the original intention...

I don't think they were ever too fussy with who the humper and the humpee was. As long as the result was a bouncing sprog.

"You're just one lucky motherf-cker" - Someone, 5th February 2013

Num num num num.

IP Logged

Maeve

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 1:28pm

Equitist wrote on Apr 28th, 2011 at 1:23pm:
If only the Libs had put the best interests of children and families first in the first instance - and increased existing Family Tax Benefit payments across the early years of a child's life (and/or increased a sensible Maternity/Parental Pay system) for low-middle income families...

Instead, they went for an ill-conceived, counter-productive and anti-social non-means-tested child-bearing incentive scam - as if putting a lump-sum payout on a baby's head was ever a good idea!?

To make matters worse, they also incentivised bean-counters to run high-cost govt-subsidised production line Child Handling Centres - and in the process destroyed the existing affordable and family-oriented community childcare system...

Go figure, eh!?

All upheld by the Labor Government

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 1:33pm

ditto.
dump the silly thing, irrespective of who is doing it, it remains a bad idea.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 1:39pm

Too many single parents are 'benefit dependent'.   Sad

The OECD has recommended childcare support programs be extended for working parents.

AUSTRALIA should make single parents meet tougher work, training and job search requirements before giving them welfare payments, according to the OECD. It also recommended the extension of childcare support programs for working parents.

Joblessness among sole parent families was a significant problem in Australia, the Organisation of Economic Co-operation and Development said in its Doing Better for Families report published last night.

''The sole-parent employment rate is one of the lowest in the OECD, which contributes to an above-average poverty rate for sole-parent families,'' the report said.

''This issue is of particular concern as around one in five children live in such households, and projections show that the number is likely to increase by 20 per cent over the next 25 years.''

Australia had provided long periods of support to single parents with few conditions, and this had increased benefit dependency, the report said.

More recently, the age of the youngest child at which parents were entitled to income support was decreased. ''Australian policy should continue to support work, training or job search requirements for recipients of sole-parent benefits.''

The report also said that Australia spent less on childcare than most other member countries. ''Only 40 per cent of children aged less than six years [are] enrolled in formal childcare.

''Australia should consider extending its childcare support programs to provide more help to working parents,'' it said.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 1:43pm

How many people are encouraged to have baby's that they shouldn't, by this very thing - The baby bonus.   Sad

IP Logged

Life_goes_on
Gold Member

400kms south of Yobsville, Qld
Reply #11 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 1:45pm

What gets me is why they didn't try to get more out of it.

Like saying you could only get it if you were married, a church goer and owned three Australian made woolen jumpers.

They'd increase the birth rate, bump up the marriage rate, increase flagging church attendance and support both the wool and manufacturing industries.

"You're just one lucky motherf-cker" - Someone, 5th February 2013

Num num num num.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #12 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 1:58pm

Quote:
How many people are encouraged to have baby's that they shouldn't, by this very thing - The baby bonus.   Sad  

Not many at all, I think.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 2:01pm

Quote:
How many people are encouraged to have baby's that they shouldn't, by this very thing - The baby bonus.   Sad  

Only an idiot would think this is why people have kids.

If my wife doesnt return to work until our oldest hits schools, we have forgone well over $350k in wages in that time, and that not factoring in further kids.

Yeah, we did it for the $5k  Roll Eyes

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

sir prince duke alevine
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 2:03pm

I may be wrong...but hasnt the baby bonus been replaced with maternity leave anyway? Isn't it one or the other, and considering the maternity leave pays more there isn't really a need for the bonus anymore?

Disclaimer for Mothra per POST so it is forever acknowledged: Saying 'Islam' or 'Muslims' doesn't mean ALL muslims. This does not target individual muslims who's opinion I am not aware of.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12
Send Topic Print