Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
This person is our finance minister (Read 26126 times)
longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: This person is our finance minister
Reply #30 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:12am

astro_surf wrote on Apr 10th, 2011 at 7:40pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 10th, 2011 at 7:25pm:
Quote:
The point of pricing carbon isn't as much about reducing emissions as it is about stimulating investment in the sort of things that will significantly reduce emissions, rendering this asinine line of attack a straw man fallacy.

You have that backwards. It is exactly about reducing emissions the cheapest way possible, even if that means simply being less wasteful rather than huge investments.

It's only cheap because it puts more expensive renewable energy sources on a more even playing field with fossil fuels, it is the investment in large scale energy production that will reduce emissions, not punishing households by increasing their costs; hence the plans for household compensation.

pure drivel. the carbon tx is nowhere near enough to bridge the gap between fossil and R/E. and given that it only makes energy more expensive it is hardly an attractive solution.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:13am

buzzanddidj wrote on Apr 10th, 2011 at 7:46pm:
salad in wrote on Apr 10th, 2011 at 4:55pm:
Quote:
Penny Wong on The Insiders, ABC, 10/04/11

PENNY WONG: This is not a tax that people pay. This is a tax that polluters pay, probably levied on around 1000 large polluters.

http://www.abc.net.au/insiders/content/2011/s3187135.htm

If that's the case why is there speculation about how much households will have to pay? It's mooted that households will be paying $700, $800 or more extra per year.

Penny Wong, our finance minister. And these clowns laugh at Barnaby Joyce.

EVERYONE laughs at Barnaby "millions-billions-trillions"Joyce

And Penny Wong is CORRECT !
Neither the transitional tax on carbon - or the eventual ETS - are consumption taxes

They are penalties on
heavy, polluting industries

Which MAY, or MAY NOT, be passed on to consumers due to increased production costs

Contrary to all the spin,  
NO ONE will recieve an energy bill with "inclusive of carbon tax" at the end of the document
- as is the case with GST

And NOT included ANYWHERE in the spin - are the details of
COMPENSATION and REBATES for  PENSIONERS (in many cases, up to 125%) - and LOWER to MIDDLE INCOME EARNERS

MY energy supplier (Hepburn Wind) will pay
NO carbon tax
- and on the introduction of the ETS will
SELL it's credits
to coal fired electricity producers

Who will YOU invest with ?

if you believe industry will not pass on these imposts then contact me. I have a bridge to sell you.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:29am

Cods are you really still this confused about what Flannery said?

x

sure am FD sure am...

you see where is the proof in 100 or maybe even 50 years from now what he is saying IS TRUE....

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MAN IS SPOUTING WILL IN FACT COME TRUE...I mean he goes from  100 years to 1000 years is that a bet eachway????

in my book it is!!...

no different from saying it might rain on Sunday then again it may not...

sorry mate but maybe you think Flannery is the new Nostradamus..

but I sure as hell dont and just because I am not a scientist doesnt put me in the confused basket..I am not confused at all I think you guys are..

fancy believing what some prophecies for the next 1000 years will be!

what does your horoscope tell you will happen to you next week FD...

mine says I will meet a tall handsome rich man who will throw diamonds at me..

sorry mate I dont believe in fairytails... maybe Flannery can tell us when they will find a cure for cancer especially the child ones..I am interested in that.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:34am

longweekend58 wrote on Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:13am:
Quote:

PENNY WONG: This is not a tax that people pay. This is a tax that polluters pay, probably levied on around 1000 large polluters.

If that's the case why is there speculation about how much households will have to pay? It's mooted that households will be paying $700, $800 or more extra per year.

Neither the transitional tax on carbon - or the eventual ETS - are consumption taxes

They are penalties on

Which MAY, or MAY NOT, be passed on to consumers due to increased production costs

NO ONE will recieve an energy bill with "inclusive of carbon tax" at the end of the document

COMPENSATION and REBATES for  PENSIONERS (in many cases, up to 125%) - and LOWER to MIDDLE INCOME EARNERS

NO carbon tax
SELL it's credits

if you believe industry will not pass on these imposts then contact me. I have a bridge to sell you.

dont you love the Penny Wongs in this govt always having a bet each way...now it isnt a silver bullet... and the CARBON TAX that gillard keeps spouting about isnt a TAX after all..lol..its painful to listen to them. talk about dodge city they put the wildwest to shame they really do..

and I for one am sick to death of being treated like I am braindead like their followers... bring on an election its the FAIR way

what about the compensation why would they compensate us if we were not getting this passed on.... will some one tell her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

astro_surf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 9:50am

cods wrote on Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:29am:
Cods are you really still this confused about what Flannery said?

x

sure am FD sure am...

you see where is the proof in 100 or maybe even 50 years from now what he is saying IS TRUE....

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MAN IS SPOUTING WILL IN FACT COME TRUE...I mean he goes from  100 years to 1000 years is that a bet eachway????

in my book it is!!...

no different from saying it might rain on Sunday then again it may not...

sorry mate but maybe you think Flannery is the new Nostradamus..

but I sure as hell dont and just because I am not a scientist doesnt put me in the confused basket..I am not confused at all I think you guys are..

fancy believing what some prophecies for the next 1000 years will be!

what does your horoscope tell you will happen to you next week FD...

mine says I will meet a tall handsome rich man who will throw diamonds at me..

sorry mate I dont believe in fairytails... maybe Flannery can tell us when they will find a cure for cancer especially the child ones..I am interested in that.

Yeah, like those other stoopid scientists who think that they can predict where uranus will be in 200 years, or where the earths elliptical orbit will be and whether there will an ice age in 15,000 years, or even worse, thinking they can predict where light will be in in a million years! Those stoopid soothsaying scientists, who do they think they are making predictions!!!!!!

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Sep 11th, 2011 at 11:23am:
So tell me, you'd like to see more and more craphouse coloured people in Australia right?&&Yeah good idea moron.&&

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #35 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 7:38pm

Quote:

Cods how about we start with understanding what his claim is before worrying about whether it is true?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

salad in
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:45pm

They are penalties on

NO carbon tax
SELL it's credits

Now
Alan Kohler
is
saying that
the
carbon
tax
could be as high
as $1000.

Quote:
Enemies on all sides in the carbon price war
By Alan Kohler

In 2006, nine years after the Kyoto Protocols were signed, six corporate CEOs created the Australian Business Roundtable on Climate Change to advocate "early action" on global warming, including a "carbon price signal". They commissioned research from the CSIRO and Allen Consulting that showed Australia is especially vulnerable to climate change and that significant reductions could be achieved in Australia at an affordable cost.

So there's no longer enough money to do that without raising taxes - it has to be a carbon price. That will cost every household at least $1,000 a year if it's to be effective and put important manufacturers out of business, not to mention retailers, transport companies you name it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/04/11/3187543.htm

Want to offer
a
guess
as to what
the tax will be
?

The ALP, the progressive party, the party of ideas, the workers' friend, is the only Australian political party to roast four young Australians in roof cavities. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:57pm

freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2011 at 7:38pm:
Quote:

Cods how about we start with understanding what his claim is before worrying about whether it is true?

FD I dont care what he claims in the year 2100 plus... do you???.. if you do good luck to you I trust you will around to prove him right.. I wont be.. I prefer the real truth the facts... not predictions...he is claiming the tempreature will fall.. lol.. well tell him it did just now its going to be 15 tomorrow in Canberra a couple of days ago it was 24... tell me how bloody hard is it to predict temperatures will go UP and then they will go DOWN

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:58pm

salad in wrote on Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:45pm:

They are penalties on

NO carbon tax
SELL it's credits

Now
Alan Kohler
is
saying that
the
carbon
tax
could be as high
as $1000.

Quote:
Enemies on all sides in the carbon price war
By Alan Kohler

In 2006, nine years after the Kyoto Protocols were signed, six corporate CEOs created the Australian Business Roundtable on Climate Change to advocate "early action" on global warming, including a "carbon price signal". They commissioned research from the CSIRO and Allen Consulting that showed Australia is especially vulnerable to climate change and that significant reductions could be achieved in Australia at an affordable cost.

So there's no longer enough money to do that without raising taxes - it has to be a carbon price. That will cost every household at least $1,000 a year if it's to be effective and put important manufacturers out of business, not to mention retailers, transport companies you name it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/04/11/3187543.htm

Want to offer
a
guess
as to what
the tax will be
?

not you as well with this childish colour attention grab salad give it away will you. thank you

IP Logged

astro_surf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 9:25pm

longweekend58 wrote on Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:12am:
astro_surf wrote on Apr 10th, 2011 at 7:40pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 10th, 2011 at 7:25pm:
Quote:
The point of pricing carbon isn't as much about reducing emissions as it is about stimulating investment in the sort of things that will significantly reduce emissions, rendering this asinine line of attack a straw man fallacy.

You have that backwards. It is exactly about reducing emissions the cheapest way possible, even if that means simply being less wasteful rather than huge investments.

It's only cheap because it puts more expensive renewable energy sources on a more even playing field with fossil fuels, it is the investment in large scale energy production that will reduce emissions, not punishing households by increasing their costs; hence the plans for household compensation.

pure drivel. the carbon tx is nowhere near enough to bridge the gap between fossil and R/E. and given that it only makes energy more expensive it is hardly an attractive solution.

Depends how you count the cost really, doesn't it?

http://www.skepticalscience.com/print.php?n=639

So tell me, you'd like to see more and more craphouse coloured people in Australia right?&&Yeah good idea moron.&&

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #40 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 9:27pm

Cods:

Quote:
FD I dont care what he claims in the year 2100 plus... do you???

Sort of. What does interest me a lot more is the ability of the opposition leader to understand plain english.

Quote:
I prefer the real truth the facts... not predictions...

You don't show a great deal of regard for the truth about what Flannery said. Do you think that misrepresenting the words of scientists is a path to the truth?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

astro_surf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 9:41pm

cods wrote on Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:57pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2011 at 7:38pm:
Quote:

FD I dont care what he claims in the year 2100 plus... do you???.. if you do good luck to you I trust you will around to prove him right.. I wont be.. I prefer the real truth the facts... not predictions...he is claiming the tempreature will fall.. lol.. well tell him it did just now its going to be 15 tomorrow in Canberra a couple of days ago it was 24... tell me how bloody hard is it to predict temperatures will go UP and then they will go DOWN

You need to familarise yourself with some basic concepts. Start with these two:
'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability

Predicting climate is not the same as predicting weather. Climate deals with, at a minimum, 30 year averages. You can flip a coin 100 times and, while you can't say how the coin will fall on any given toss, you can calculate the probability of it landing either heads or tails.

Or, a better example, you know that in summer you are likely to have a higher average temperature and in winter a lower average temperature without knowing exactly what temperature it will be on any given day.

Same thing, dude.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #42 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 10:01pm

Quote:
Yeah, like those other stoopid scientists who think that they can predict where uranus will be in 200 years, or where the earths elliptical orbit will be and whether there will an ice age in 15,000 years, or even worse, thinking they can predict where light will be in in a million years! Those stoopid soothsaying scientists, who do they think they are making predictions!!!!!!

Astro, predicting the orbit of a planet (either Uranus OR Earth) is entirely different to predicting what the temperature will be in 30, 50 or 100 years time...

The solar system is a gigantic 'clock'......We know where Uranus will be in 200 years because Uranus orbits the Sun in the same way, and at the same speed ALL the time, so predicting it's position is simply arithmetic....you can work it out by counting on your fingers..

But since there has never been any 'human caused' warming before this time, there's no historical data to indicate the increase rate, a maximum temperature or a duration....it's ALL guess work...

The scientists THINK the warming will continue at 'X' rate, for 'X' years and reach 'X' temperature by year 'Y'....but there's no hard data to back it up, the only way to prove it is in hindsight...

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

astro_surf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 10:24pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Apr 11th, 2011 at 10:01pm:
Astro, predicting the orbit of a planet (either Uranus OR Earth) is entirely different to predicting what the temperature will be in 30, 50 or 100 years time...

The solar system is a gigantic 'clock'......We know where Uranus will be in 200 years because Uranus orbits the Sun in the same way, and at the same speed ALL the time, so predicting it's position is simply arithmetic....you can work it out by counting on your fingers..

And calculating the radiative forcing of a gas is relatively simple too, Svente Arrenhius did it with an abacus 120 years ago.

Quote:
But since there has never been any 'human caused' warming before this time, there's no historical data to indicate the increase rate, a maximum temperature or a duration....it's ALL guess work...

Actually, there has, there is good evidence now suggesting that domesticating animals led to a marked increase in methane that prevented the planet slipping into another glacial period...

But that aside, whether a climatic change is caused by humans or not is irrelevant, the climate responds to a small number of forcings, change the value of one or more and the climate will change correspondingly.

We have very good data on the role CO2 has played in numerous climate changes, we know for instance that the changes in solar radiation that triggered the last interglacial was nowhere near enough to warm the planet to the degree that we enjoyed throughout the Holocene. The only way to explain the degree that the planet 'recovers' from ice ages in the way that it does is if the maths used to calculate the radiative forcing of CO2 is about right.

Quote:
The scientists THINK the warming will continue at 'X' rate, for 'X' years and reach 'X' temperature by year 'Y'....but there's no hard data to back it up, the only way to prove it is in hindsight...

Yes there is, reams of it, from the historical data referred to above, to the satellite data that confirms there is more energy entering the climate system than is coming out of it, to the experimental data that confirms the rate at which CO2 reemits infra-red etc etc etc

And no climate scientist says that it will be X temperature, they say there is a very high chance that if emissions continue at X rate then average temperatures will increase between a range of Y and Z.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #44 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 11:12pm

Quote:

They are penalties on

NO carbon tax
SELL it's credits

How clearer can you PUT it ?

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print