Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hunting in NSW National Parks (Read 10813 times)
gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Re: Hunting in NSW National Parks
Reply #15 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 3:36pm

I favour a balloon tied to a stick..personally...

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #16 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 3:53pm

Look out, he's got a slingshot!  Call the army!

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #17 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 3:54pm

Yeah, that's what I was referencing

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #18 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 7:37pm

I can think like a prawn hanging from between a grannies legs too.

...but the point to remember: This is why the world is still $%*#!

Oh well, at least the South Americans, especially the Bolivians will teach the white boys of the West who really is the fastest, biggest, best Military of all, especially a Military that isn't subserviant to Political whims.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #19 - Apr 27th, 2011 at 5:24pm

ahh OK.  I'm sure it makes sense in that head of yours.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #20 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 12:42am

Well I hope you don't have a bullet in yours.

...I like Fiji, only the Military has guns, only Polititians make laws, only Medics use drugs, only Sportspeople play with balls, only Artists use Corel Draw 7, only Chefs use steakknives, only Conservationists protect Animals, etc, etc, etc.

Alas, I think you guys like how Moslems yell out how Religious they are with a machine gun shooting in the sky.
Like Musicians with a Drug problem. Roll Eyes

...oh well, if you guys don't get it. I don't really care much for it.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #21 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 5:13pm

They don't have an awful lot of livestock or vermin to cull in fiji either.

I'd prefer the army put their expertise to better use than culling rabbits on remote stations, but each to their own I guess....

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #22 - Apr 29th, 2011 at 12:16am

...like shooting Poachers, as they do in Africa, for instance.
Or maybe fighting as Mercenaries for UK/USA 'political' agendas?

Oh well, some Doctors get the glory and do Neurosurgery, while others have to do Gynaecology - so not every Green Militant can fight evil Empires with weapons that can anihilate this planet from a safe distance. Every now and then, they gotta do some hard yards for their fellow Greenies in the name of Conservation.

IP Logged

Doctor Jolly
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 10:11am

To get back on topic,  what concerns me about the NSW fishers and shooters party is that they are making wildlife (and wildfish !?) management political.

Fisheries management must surely be managed scientifically. Politics must be removed. We need to fish only enough not to deplete fish stocks.

Similarly national parks.  Hunting is actually a very poor method of vermin control.  Science (and NP experience) tells us its a very small part of there pest management strategies, with poisoning and trapping far more cost effective.
If that is true, then allowing shooters into national parks has very little benefit, with the increased risk of damage and harm to other users.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #24 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 4:48pm

Doctor Jolly wrote on Jun 1st, 2011 at 10:11am:
To get back on topic,  what concerns me about the NSW fishers and shooters party is that they are making wildlife (and wildfish !?) management political.

Fisheries management must surely be managed scientifically. Politics must be removed. We need to fish only enough not to deplete fish stocks.

Labor's marine parks were political. There was very little scientific about them and they weren't intitiated by our fisheries scientists and managers. You either don't know the history of this issue or are trying to mislead.

IP Logged

Doctor Jolly
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 4:56pm

pjb05 wrote on Jun 1st, 2011 at 4:48pm:
Doctor Jolly wrote on Jun 1st, 2011 at 10:11am:
To get back on topic,  what concerns me about the NSW fishers and shooters party is that they are making wildlife (and wildfish !?) management political.

Labor's marine parks were political. There was very little scientific about them and they weren't intitiated by our fisheries scientists and managers. You either don't know the history of this issue or are trying to mislead.  

I'm not saying Labor were right.  Fair chance they were wrong the way they were going.  Maybe they were the initiators of this politicising of fisheries.

We just need to stop, and defer to the scientists.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 5:11pm

Doctor Jolly wrote on Jun 1st, 2011 at 4:56pm:
[We just need to stop, and defer to the scientists.

But which scientists? Some of them have there own agendas and are politicized. Also there is no simple right or wrong answer as to how much biomass should be left in the ocean and how this is to be achieved. We and our political representatives have every right to have a say.

IP Logged

Doctor Jolly
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 5:29pm

pjb05 wrote on Jun 1st, 2011 at 5:11pm:
Doctor Jolly wrote on Jun 1st, 2011 at 4:56pm:
[We just need to stop, and defer to the scientists.

But which scientists? Some of them have there own agendas and are politicized. Also there is no simple right or wrong answer as to how much biomass should be left in the ocean and how this is to be achieved. We and our political representatives have every right to have a say.  

Scientists are peer reviewed, so any old rubish soon gets weeded out.

I read somewhere that commercial fishing has this 5 year cycle. They find a new fishing area, within a year or two all have jumped on board. It takes 5 years for the scientists to research the impact, and by then the stock is almost depleated.  Commercial fishermen then move on to something else.

The Orange Roughy for example was found to have a lifespan of 150 years.  Not hard to imagine that any exploitation of that fish is going to end up badly.

No politician will tell you that.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #28 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 6:02pm

Scientists are peer reviewed, so any old rubish soon gets weeded out.

Some very experienced ones are saying peer review has failed on the subject of marine parks. PS not all science undergoes peer review.

I read somewhere that commercial fishing has this 5 year cycle. They find a new fishing area, within a year or two all have jumped on board. It takes 5 years for the scientists to research the impact, and by then the stock is almost depleated.  Commercial fishermen then move on to something else.

What 'new' fishing areas are in NSW waters? Most of it has been fished for over 100 years. Also don't you know that most of our fish are highly mobile and don't fit into your emphasis on areas. 

The Orange Roughy for example was found to have a lifespan of 150 years.  Not hard to imagine that any exploitation of that fish is going to end up badly.

Contradicts your first statement. In this case the scientists got it wrong and didn't realise the fish were so slow growing.

No politician will tell you that.

Why not?

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #29 - Jun 2nd, 2011 at 12:54am

The Conservation Groups are looking to get an Aquatic Party up and running to contest the Fishers/Shooters. If they get the popularity votes, majority, etc ...well, we know the ALP/Libs would just turn if the price is right.

I think the orthodox of the matter is for Conservation to be in charge of all Australian waters and the Fisheries and Crown to pay fees to them for fishing rights and quotas. Politics in this region is like butter spread too thinly over toast. It won't be long before they give up the ghost on this matter too.

Australian Fisheries can't even manage Australian waters without foreign ships coming in for a ransack of our future.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print