Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exclusive Brethren parents claim 'tax lurk (Read 1651 times)
Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Exclusive Brethren parents claim 'tax lurk
Apr 4th, 2011 at 11:31am

God only helps those that help themselves !!

why does the government continue to acknowledge these scammers as a school ??

and if they tell their flock to avoid contact with the outside world then why is it ok to run businesses that deal with the outside world ??

http://www.theage.com.au/national/education/exclusive-brethren-parents-claim-tax...

Quote:
Exclusive Brethren parents claim 'tax lurk of biblical proportions'

Parents in the Exclusive Brethren avoid paying tax on the bulk of their children's school fees in an arrangement that would be illegal if sought by other Australian parents.

Independent senator Nick Xenophon has called for a tax office investigation into the arrangement which he said looked ''at first blush like a tax lurk of biblical proportions''.

When most parents pay school fees, they are paying it from income which has already been taxed. If they  sought to avoid tax by paying it via tax-deductable donations, or through a family trust, they could be prosecuted for tax evasion.

But figures released on the MySchool website show the Exclusive Brethren, a radically separatist Christian sect with about 15,000 members in Australia, gets around this law.

The website reveals that, at their Victorian school, Glenvale, 54 per cent of the income is tax-free because it is paid by parents through distributions from family trusts as well as donations. Because a school is a tax-free entity, Brethren families who arrange their business in this way do not need to pay tax on that money.

This tax-free money makes up the majority of the Brethren schools' income, with another 28 per cent at Glenvale coming from government hand-outs, and the rest from modest fees paid from Brethren families' post-tax income.

At the Meadowbank Education Trust, the Exclusive Brethren school in Sydney, government funding (state and federal) totals almost $9000 per student, fees paid by parents from post-tax income are just $2700, and the rest, $14,300 per student, comes from tax-free donations and distributions.

This means that, though the government funding is on par with the most disadvantaged schools, the controversial Christian sect has $26,000 per student to spend — more than some top flight private schools such as Xavier College, Scotch College and Wesley College.

The pattern is replicated at the six Exclusive Brethren schools around Australia. In 2009, the sect raised $32.4 million in tax-free money to send its 2537 students to school.

This dwarfs the tax-free component of any other private school in Australia, and acts as a de facto second government subsidy to Exclusive Brethren schools. At other comparable small Christian schools, tax-free payments by parents make up between about 1 and 4 per cent of income.

The tax office has ruled that if parents seek a special agreement with an ordinary private school to pay their fees as a distribution from a family trust, it constitutes tax evasion. But the Exclusive Brethren obtained legal advice in about 2006 that their arrangement, which covers all their members, was legal.

Only Brethren children attend these schools, and in the theology of the sect, they are constantly warned to stay separate from the outside world. They are told that ''worldly'' people are dangerous, and will ''defile'' and ''contaminate'' them. As a result, many grow up in fear.

They are also all but barred from going to university.The sect, whose leader is Sydney-based businessman Bruce D. Hales, is adept at what it describes as ''spoiling the Egyptians'' — or taking as much money from the public purse as it can legally manage.

Exclusive Brethren spokesman Bob Lawrence, of PR firm Jackson Wells, denied the system was specifically set up to avoid tax.

''The schools and parents follow all appropriate tax, education and other guidelines and comply with Australian law,'' he said.

Senator Xenophon said the tax office ''needs to tell Australian taxpayers whether this sort of arrangement is sanctioned''.

''If what the Exclusive Brethren is doing is more broadly applied it could cause a multi-billion dollar hole in tax revenue,'' he said.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Re:  Exclusive Brethren parents claim 'tax lurk
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 11:37am

So?

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 11:39am

... wrote on Apr 4th, 2011 at 11:37am:
So?

so do you like wasting taxes on religious scammers do you ??

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 11:45am

Sir lastnail wrote on Apr 4th, 2011 at 11:39am:
So?

Whether the scammers be religious or political, I know my tax dollars aren't ever going to be spent on anything that benefits me in any way , shape or form.  I've come to accept it, maybe it's time you did too.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 11:59am

... wrote on Apr 4th, 2011 at 11:45am:
So?

Whether the scammers be religious or political, I know my tax dollars aren't ever going to be spent on anything that benefits me in any way , shape or form.  I've come to accept it, maybe it's time you did too.

And some people need to understand the issues so they are not voting like lemmings at the next poll !!

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 12:03pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Apr 4th, 2011 at 11:59am:
So?

Whether the scammers be religious or political, I know my tax dollars aren't ever going to be spent on anything that benefits me in any way , shape or form.  I've come to accept it, maybe it's time you did too.

And some people need to understand the issues so they are not voting like lemmings at the next poll !!

No matter who you vote for, it's not going to change.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 12:07pm

... wrote on Apr 4th, 2011 at 12:03pm:
So?

It bet you it will change under the greens Wink The greens don't like the EB and all of the tax concessions that they get Wink

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 12:21pm

Brethren engineers/draftsmen charge $5,000 - $10,000 a 'drawing' for any machinery, etc that you wish to change. My Employment was not happy with the final bill.

I think the Brethren are no different to the Boer policies and attitudes during the Apartheid era. Segregation and putdowns of others as inferior, etc. Pure Culturalism and Racism. 
We have Brethren out here Camden way. Their plain-clothes and head scarfs.

Why can't I start a business and claim a Tax-Free Threshold. I'll be improving people's lives by giving them a good employment with the possibility of meeting a nice young girl through the job directly or indirectly as clientele.

I think the whole Religious 'Tax-Free Threshold' is a SCAM, just like Sydney.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 12:25pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Apr 4th, 2011 at 12:07pm:
So?

Whether the scammers be religious or political, I know my tax dollars aren't ever going to be spent on anything that benefits me in any way , shape or form.  I've come to accept it, maybe it's time you did too.

It bet you it will change under the greens Wink The greens don't like the EB and all of the tax concessions that they get Wink

You are right - the greens like nothing more than to tax tax TAX.   There will be no exemptions from the 80% tax rate the greens would happily inflict upon a publci stupid enough to elect them.  And lets not forget death duties on top of that.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 12:28pm

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Apr 4th, 2011 at 12:21pm:
Brethren engineers/draftsmen charge $5,000 - $10,000 a 'drawing' for any machinery, etc that you wish to change. My Employment was not happy with the final bill.

I think the Brethren are no different to the Boer policies and attitudes during the Apartheid era. Segregation and putdowns of others as inferior, etc. Pure Culturalism and Racism. 
We have Brethren out here Camden way. Their plain-clothes and head scarfs.

Why can't I start a business and claim a Tax-Free Threshold. I'll be improving people's lives by giving them a good employment with the possibility of meeting a nice young girl through the job directly or indirectly as clientele.

I think the whole Religious 'Tax-Free Threshold' is a SCAM, just like Sydney.

Every business helps the community in some way so why the discrimination ?? I mean if you run a business you're employing people and providing goods and services to the community. The only thing you don't do is brain wash people with some ancient scribblings out of some old book Sad

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 12:32pm

... wrote on Apr 4th, 2011 at 12:25pm:
Sir lastnail wrote on Apr 4th, 2011 at 12:07pm:
So?

You are right - the greens like nothing more than to tax tax TAX.   There will be no exemptions from the 80% tax rate the greens would happily inflict upon a publci stupid enough to elect them.  And lets not forget death duties on top of that.

yeh and what about your never ever GST ?? tax tax tax tax tax !! As a small business operator I am reminded of it every quarter when I have to make a compulsory donation to the government as well as spending extra to get an accountant to do it properly otherwise the ATO scrutinizes you if you do it yourself. Thanks for nothing libbo arseholes Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print