Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Should They Open Two Hours Earlier On Sunday. (Read 300 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Should They Open Two Hours Earlier On Sunday.
Apr 4th, 2011 at 7:12am

Independent MP pushes for supermarkets to open two hours earlier than other stores.   Smiley 

SUPERMARKETS should be allowed to open early on Sundays, says Independent MP Dr Bob Such.

He said consumers wanted to be able to shop before church or Sunday picnics, and will introduce a Bill to Parliament this week to allow supermarkets to open earlier than other shops.   Smiley

The Bill to allow supermarkets in metropolitan Adelaide to open at 9am instead of 11am would further fracture already-splintered trading times.

However, Dr Such said he was confident of bipartisan support for his amendment to the Shop Trading Hours Act.

He thought the Government's current low popularity would make it cautious about opposing a Bill that had community support.

Industrial Relations Minister Bernard Finnigan said the Government had no plans to change the current arrangements.

He said the Government strove to seek a common-sense balance between retailers, retail workers and consumers.

"The Government made substantial changes early in its term and the independent review by retired judge Alan Moss in 2006-07 confirmed the right balance had been achieved," he said.

Dr Such said market forces should determine when shops opened, as occurred in deregulated areas, such as Mount Barker and many country towns.

He said people were being denied employment opportunities because of Adelaide's restrictive trading.   Sad

"I have never suggested that they be required to work extra time or on weekends if they do not want to, but there are plenty of people who are happy to work," he said.   Wink

Linden Park Grocer owner John Arnold said he was not worried by the possible extra competition.

He said a lot of people tried to avoid the bigger supermarkets, especially with the current price "kerfuffle" over milk.

"Loyal people in the community will always come to me," he said.

Clare Woosnam works at North Adelaide Foodland and said she supported the change in opening hours.

"I'm a student, so every bit (of extra money) helps," she said.

"I come from Victoria so I'm used to supermarkets being open early on Sunday."   Wink

Ms Woosnam said it would be good to shop earlier and have more time to study or go out.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: Should They Open Two Hours Earlier On Sunday.
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 7:15am

Should they be allowed to open two hours earlier on a Sunday?.  YES of course.  Open the shops.   Open, Open, Open.   Smiley

IP Logged

mavisdavis
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Should They Open Two Hours Earlier On Sunday.
Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 8:44am

Why is it that bludgers are so happy to spend other people`s money?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print