Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Greg Hunt nails Tony Abbotts leadership (Read 16849 times)
Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Re: Greg Hunt nails Tony Abbotts leadership
Reply #30 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 1:02pm

Dunno about your family, Android, but most Aussie (and Western) families could probably look back at their own familial birth records and note a similar pattern of dramatically-reducing birth rates amongst their own extended families...

In my generation, there were an average of 4 children per family (I'm speaking siblings and cousins - one of my cousins died in infancy of meningitis) - and none of my uncles nor aunties is childless.

In my parent's generation the average number of births per couple was closer to 6 (one of my would-be-uncles died in infancy, also of meningitis). None of their siblings nor cousins was childless.

In my grandparents' generation there were as many as 8 births per family (several dying in childbirth and infancy from different causes).  Again, none of those who survived into adulthood were childless.

Now, to consider the breeding patterns of my own generation, the average number of children to me, my large number of siblings,first cousins and in-laws has been 2 - most having a neat 2 but some having none, others having 1 (so far), one 3 and only one having 4.

Curiously, those who have had more than 2 children, were those who had one or both spouses grew up in households with a stronger religious upbringing.

The reason that I suggest this overall pattern applies across the nation (and Western World), is that the birth rate statistics basically follow that trend...

There have been estimations that a full 1/3 of my children's generation will never breed at all and probably another 2/3 of the remaining couples will have only 1 or 2 children - which will probably create an even-smaller generation of even-more egocentric, selfish, materialistic and unsociable people than the current GenY...

« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2011 at 1:09pm by Equitist »  

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

mavisdavis
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 1:06pm

The title of this topic tends to make Greg Hunt appear rather gay don`t you think?   Doesn`t do an awfull lot for Abbott`s rep either ?

IP Logged

Wattle Grove
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 1:35pm

mavisdavis wrote on Apr 2nd, 2011 at 1:06pm:
The title of this topic tends to make Greg Hunt appear rather gay don`t you think?   Doesn`t do an awfull lot for Abbott`s rep either ?

well Abbott was a training to be a priest enough said

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print