Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Why Dont You Go Fruit Picking Mr Abbott. (Read 11216 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: Why Dont You Go Fruit Picking Mr Abbott.
Reply #60 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 6:16pm

Why dont you go fruit picking imcrook, or are you to good to do that?   Maybe some are prepared to do it, but you wont get me working for under award wages.  Anything that's less than the minimum award rate of pay-    Tongue

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #61 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 6:22pm

Lazy b*stard.

I bet you dont work half the hours I do...

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 6:34pm

I bet I don't get paid half what you do either.   Tongue

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 8:26pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Apr 6th, 2011 at 6:22pm:
Lazy b*stard.

I bet you dont work half the hours I do...

what work do you do hicks ? you spend half your time writing drivel on this forum. I can't believe that you are a VP of one of the top 10 companies whilst spending so much time on this forum !!

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #64 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 9:13pm

Quote:
dan G Posted at 1:15 PM March 31, 2011

Perhaps Tony should spend a day or two fruit picking or pruning in high temperatures, the pay is rubbish , often the conditions are lousy, the work is backbreaking and generally only experienced people can make a quid. All of the people I know who have had a go have given up because they either did not have the physical fitness required ( these are folks in their 50s and 60s ) or they made less money than they would on the dole and they had to provide their own tools, transport and accommodation. Since a recent study found that people in dead end jobs have a worse level of mental health than those on the dole ( which is going to cost the community in the long run) I would advise that Mr NO proposes a plan that is less punitive , more positive in its approach and more likely to meet with success in the long run.   Sad

my in laws went hop picking in England for years and years  we had pictures of them looking like gypsies... they stayed for the whole season.. for gods sake what a namby pamby bunch we are turning into..

shock horror picking fruit isnt rocket science they dont need any training or a degree get over it crook.. what do you want paying for a job like that...we all want fruit on our tables dont we??.. you can stick all your recent studies.,.. these jobs you talk about have been around for decades and no one complained untill the bloody unions didnt have enough to do so had to look for something to stir the pot with.. what a load of garbage..

why dont you suggest they stop growing fruit under the circumstances wouldnt want anyone  saying they were driven to mental break downs because of the boredom and low pay would we..

how about everyone run for union chief or delegate that way they will all be doing something really worthwhile for the country and getting a mice slice of pay as well... and once again you wouldnt need a degree to do either.

bugger the fruit who needds it?

IP Logged

hawil
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 9:18pm

Picked peaches near Waikerie; was all paid by the bucket, made good money by working hard. Developed a rash on my legs after a week, and after seeing a Doctor he told me I could not go on doing it.
The living condition was shocking; a garage on the banks of the Murray, with mice running on the floor.

Tried picking grages in Mc Laren Vale, again by the bucket, grapes being very small, no matter how hard I worked, could not make a normal hours pay. The owner told us, that after we finished the small grapes we will go on the bigger grapes and make decent money.
When we finished the small grapes, the owner changed his mind and told us to go on picking on a hourly rate. When I questioned him on what he told us before, he just told me to go to his wife and she just wrote me out the check for what I made on the small grapes and can just leave.
The worst part was, that the owner of the vineyard was a "
bloody New Australian" the same as I,am,
but he probably got very rich on cheap labour.
Another problem with Abbotts idea is, that if a person earns a certain amount a year, he/she cannot get unemployment benefits for a certain time, or at least that used be some 20 years ago.
Another thing I would like to ask Abbott, how can he justify his lucrative income and all the other perks.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #66 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 9:25pm

If people want to go fruit picking good luck to them.  As long as people are treated fairly and have proper wages and conditions I see no problem.  As long as they get paid no less than the minimum hourly rate of pay.   (None of this under award pay rate rubbish though).   Wink

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #67 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 9:32pm

Well there you go, and what does that say?.  Paid buy the bucket.  Looks like that was a case of exploitation if ever there was one.   Sad

IP Logged

billy the fish

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 7:24am

paying on what you pick means they dont have to pay you a minimum wage,overtime rates,holidaypay,sick pay ect.thus if the crop is bad the grower gains cheap labour.Most Asians will continue working for as little as one dollar an hour because that is all they would earn in one day back home.thats why growers preffer them over aussies.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print