Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Australia's First Home Buyers go on Strike! (Read 1710 times)
TKline

Australian Politics

Sydney
Australia's First Home Buyers go on Strike!
Mar 31st, 2011 at 3:28pm

This week we have some very big news in Australia that I thought you all might be interested in discussing.

More and more Australians are giving up on overpriced housing in their home country and buying overseas. It's no surprise Aussies are buying real estate overseas. In America, UK, Ireland, and Spain - house prices have fallen back to more sensible levels.

The level of public dissatisfaction with Australia's housing market became abundantly clear today, to myself and thousands of other Australians.

Recent campaigns by renowned advocate group "Get Up!" are championing a First Home Buyer's Strike and also calling for an end to the negative gearing tax break used by many property investors. The campaigns are gaining a huge amount of publicity in the media:

Online campaign targets high cost of housing

Real estate in Australia has exceeded all sensible valuation criteria and we now have some of the most unaffordable homes on the planet according to Demographia, The Economist, and many other respected organisations.

Also gaining much public attention recently is the Get Up campaign support thread and discussion on the Australian Property Forum with literally thousands of hits in a few days:

Get Up! Campaign Thread on AustralianPropertyForum.com

If these campaigns works as the organisers plan, property values may reduce to more sensible levels whereby decent hardworking Australian families can once again afford a reasonable home.

Here are the links to the original campaigns where thousands of people are casting their votes at an ever accelerating pace:

Get Up! Campaign to End Negative Gearing

Get Up! Campaign calling for First Home Buyer strike

If the bottom rung (FHBs) are taken out then the whole property ladder pyramid scheme may collapse. However, the GetUp Administrator has unfortunately suggested that it is very unlikely they will even accept these campaigns, as explained here:

Get Up Administrator suggests campaign may be shelved

Now, whether or not the public believe these campaigns are a good idea or a bad idea, there is no denying the huge level of public interest. The discussion has gone viral across the country on Twitter and other social media sites.

It is important that all property investors and owners consider the impact such a campaign could have on Australian property values.

The public have spoken, and if nothing else, these campaigns will surely be influencing future political decisions about the housing market in Australia.

This has been an important event in the history of the Australian housing bubble.

Thanks,

Tom Kline.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: Australia's First Home Buyers go on Strike!
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 8:00pm

The idea has too many loopholes I'm afraid.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 8:03pm

Also .. I don't agree with a lot of what you've stated above.

My family and I deal in property .. in particular the Sydney domestic real estate market.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

TKline

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 11:13am

Lisa Jones wrote on Mar 31st, 2011 at 8:00pm:
The idea has too many loopholes I'm afraid.

What are the loopholes exactly? That's very easy for you to just say the idea has loopholes but what does that mean?

There is huge public backing and a strong media awareness.

Where are these loopholes?

Thanks!

Tom.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print