Send Topic Print
Bananas (Read 3172 times)
Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Bananas
Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:16pm

So I was talking to one of the guys down in the Sydney office this afternoon and he tells me the situation with bananas in the supermarkets there now is beyond a joke.

Apparently approached $5 per banana or something ridiculous.

Now obviously this is due to the storms, cyclones etc affecting supply.

One clearly obvious question -

Why on earth doesn't Australia import bananas from overseas like everyone else does to cover the shortfall?

In Britain we never have any bananas unless they are bought from overseas because we dont have the climate.
It's no big deal.

Why are Aussies being ripped off when the supply can be greately increased by large imports of bananas?

Is it me or can the Australian mindset sometimes not see the forest because of the trees??????

Don't get it, I really don't.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Dsmithy70
Gold Member

ire futuis vobismetipsis

Newy
Re: Bananas
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:30pm

REBELLION is not what most people think it is.
REBELLION is when you turn off the TV & start educating & thinking for yourself.
Gavin Nascimento

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:41pm

I'm quite speechless smithy.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:42pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:16pm:
So I was talking to one of the guys down in the Sydney office this afternoon and he tells me the situation with bananas in the supermarkets there now is beyond a joke.

Why on earth doesn't Australia import bananas from overseas like everyone else does to cover the shortfall?

In Britain we never have any bananas unless they are bought from overseas because we dont have the climate.
It's no big deal.

Why are Aussies being ripped off when the supply can be greately increased by large imports of bananas?

Is it me or can the Australian mindset sometimes not see the forest because of the trees??????

As you know .. I shop around before I hand over my money Andrei.

Bananas ARE expensive atm.

I am currently paying $1 per banana .. after LOOKING around ( ie 3 supermarkets and 3 fruit shops ).

$5 per banana? No way! Someone's fibbing.

$1.50 per banana .. is pretty much standard price now here in Sydney.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Dsmithy70
Gold Member

ire futuis vobismetipsis

Newy
Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:51pm

Surely you remember the Banana Splits, best show on telly (not the cartoon but the life size mascots)

http://t0.gstatic.com/imagesq=tbn:ANd9GcTVk1Mbg7dFMmj6fr9Mh_1wVq4JBPK-BXJWLAHqv1Fd4E3QHR5R&t=1

Danger Island now that's a soapie

« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2011 at 3:11pm by Dsmithy70 »  

REBELLION is when you turn off the TV & start educating & thinking for yourself.
Gavin Nascimento

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:51pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:42pm:

It's no big deal.

As you know .. I shop around before I hand over my money Andrei.

Bananas ARE expensive atm.

I am currently paying $1 per banana .. after LOOKING around ( ie 3 supermarkets and 3 fruit shops ).

$5 per banana? No way! Someone's fibbing.

$1.50 per banana .. is pretty much standard price now here in Sydney.

I know it's not $5 per banana Lisa - I couldn't recall what he said.

I think its $9+ per kilo or something and they are all hideous and poor quality right now?

My point really - is why on earth not import to cover the gap??

It seems AUS has this aversion to importing certain items that everyone else does regularly.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:51pm

NB I am talking nice bananas .. NOT these horrible green concrete "things" which look like they've come from outer space. Also .. I never even LOOK at crushed, old bananas which look tired, too soft and/or worn out.

It needs to be a good colour, a good size and quite firm when you hold it in your hand.

IP Logged

Dsmithy70
Gold Member

ire futuis vobismetipsis

Newy
Reply #7 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:53pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:51pm:
NB I am talking nice bananas .. NOT these horrible green concrete "things" which look like they've come from outer space. Also .. I never even LOOK at crushed old bananas which look tired, too soft and worn out.

It needs to be a good colour, a good size and quite firm when you hold it in your hand.

Sure your talking Banana's??????
Wink

Gavin Nascimento

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #8 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:56pm

Ha ha! I'll pay that one D Smith lol Smiley

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #9 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 3:26pm

If I want a banana I just buy it. Isn't that what everybody does?

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #10 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 3:35pm

bogarde73 wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 3:26pm:

NO! What you do is SHOP around for the best deal in town ie you buy the best quality banana at the best price. And you bring home a kilo or 2 for everyone else to enjoy these also.

(Once I've sourced THE DEAL on any fruit or veg .. I actually buy a few kilos and share them around ie I give some to my mum and also to my sisters/brothers and their families so they too can enjoy them at a good price. But that's just me .. then again I'm a good, caring daughter and sister.. smirk).

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #11 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 3:45pm

Andrei .. I've had my prudent housewife cap on thus far (as you've probably noticed I am a little bit of an Iron Lady when it comes to managing budgets .. but I perform well and I share all profits around).

As regards why the govt isn't importing bananas on an interim basis .. well .. I don't quite know the answer to that.

Protection of local industry is an obvious answer.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 4:35pm

smithy you in midlife crisis or something??

IP Logged

Dsmithy70
Gold Member

ire futuis vobismetipsis

Newy
Reply #13 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 5:21pm

Lol Cods, maybe?
But you have admit it was a great show. Smiley

Gavin Nascimento

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #14 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 6:09pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 3:35pm:

NO! What you do is SHOP around for the best deal in town ie you buy the best quality banana at the best price. And you bring home a kilo or 2 for everyone else to enjoy these also.

(Once I've sourced THE DEAL on any fruit or veg .. I actually buy a few kilos and share them around ie I give some to my mum and also to my sisters/brothers and their families so they too can enjoy them at a good price. But that's just me .. then again I'm a good, caring daughter and sister.. smirk).

Do you use Windex for everything too?  Wink

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #15 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 6:12pm

It's no big deal.

Not only that, but most people just don't buy them at that price, so at least in this part of Australia a lot of those overpriced bananas are dumped, or marked down when the skins start to go brown - and nobody wants to buy bananas with brown skin either.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #16 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 6:39pm

muso wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 6:09pm:
Lisa Jones wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 3:35pm:

Do you use Windex for everything too?  Wink

What's that got to do with the price of bananas?

Well .. as it so happens .. the (proper) Windex stuff is amazing! It can clean anything and everything and yes I do use it quite a lot.

How did you know lol?

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #17 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 6:45pm

Ok Muso.. I got the joke now. At least I don't have a large Greek or Italian flag painted on my garage door and I don't live next door to my parents lmao Smiley

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #18 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 6:50pm

Not only that, but most people just don't buy them at that price, so at least in this part of Australia a lot of those overpriced bananas are dumped, or marked down when the skins start to go brown - and nobody wants to buy bananas with brown skin either.

- Muso

Ahh yes .. same scenario re strawberries.

They tripled in price at the same time as bananas did. I simply stopped buying them AFTER I shopped around for a decent deal and found that the strawberries on offer were seriously sub standard irrespective of the price/punnet.

I then noticed that hardly anyone else was buying them either. It must have been some public protest. The strawberries simply rotted away on the shelf.

Sad situation.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #19 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 7:13pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 6:45pm:
Ok Muso.. I got the joke now. At least I don't have a large Greek or Italian flag painted on my garage door and I don't live next door to my parents lmao Smiley

Italians and Greeks alike seem to have a love of fresh vegetables in huge quantities. A lot of them also seem to grow perfect vegetables with very little effort.  It was just a tongue in cheek reference to you buying large quantities and sharing them around. 

It reminds me of my friends in rural Tuscany. The best olives, cheeses, wines etc are not for sale. They are reserved for the family -  and that's the right priority in my books.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #20 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 7:18pm

It's no big deal.

Disease.

There are actually restrictions on transporting banana fruit and palms within the country.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #21 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 7:44pm

muso wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 7:13pm:
Lisa Jones wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 6:45pm:

Italians and Greeks alike seem to have a love of fresh vegetables in huge quantities. A lot of them also seem to grow perfect vegetables with very little effort.  It was just a tongue in cheek reference to you buying large quantities and sharing them around.  

It reminds me of my friends in rural Tuscany. The best olives, cheeses, wines etc are not for sale. They are reserved for the family -  and that's the right priority in my books.  

>> smiles <<

I am SUCH a typical European girl then hey lol. I just HAVE to share everything I buy with my family Muso. I couldn't THINK any other way even if I tried.

Mum's great too! She has a mini farm happening .. she grows just about everything insofar as vegetables are concerned. She hasn't got all that much in the way of fruit .. apart from a lemon, lime, orange, mulberry, grapefruit and fig tree. Naturally she has 4 olive trees growing.

She's recently started growing strawberries (given the nonsense re strawberries in the markets) and she shares whatever she grows with all of us .. and also her neighbours. Mum's good that way .. and as a typical country gal .. she grows everything organically, makes everything herself, bakes everything from scratch .. so she's a REAL traditional mother and grandmother.

I reckon I ought to get her to start growing bananas ...

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #22 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 7:52pm

freediver wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 7:18pm:

It's no big deal.

Disease.

There are actually restrictions on transporting banana fruit and palms within the country.

S.hit .. he's right too! I completely forgot about that.

IP Logged

nichy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 8:15pm

I'm up on the  North Coast of NSW and I can still get bananas for $1.50 a kilo.  They don't look like the perfect specimens in the supermarket which don't have much flavour anyway,  but they are good bananas.

"He who does not value life does not deserve it." -- Leonardo da Vinci&&&&

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 10:05pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:51pm:
I think its $9+ per kilo or something and they are all hideous and poor quality right now?

My point really - is why on earth not import to cover the gap??

It seems AUS has this aversion to importing certain items that everyone else does regularly.

Freediver nailed it.

Australia is isolated so we dont have the usual agricultural pests and diseases which could be introduced by importing from overseas.

Our Quarantine department is fairly strict i prefer we keep it that way.

Hawaii did not have syphilis untill Captain Cook introduced it from his ship do you think the natives were pleased with him when he returned?

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print