Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
~~~ Religion Is Dead ~~~ (Read 1442 times)
____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
~~~ Religion Is Dead ~~~
Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:24pm

W. H. Auden

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
   Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
   Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
   Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
   Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
   Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
   Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
   My working week and my Sunday rest,
   My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
   I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
   Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
   Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
   For nothing now can ever come to any good.

or can it?

Religion set for extinction in NZ, says US study

A study using census data from New Zealand and eight other countries suggests religion is set for extinction in all these nations, researchers say.

The data reflected a steady rise in the proportion of the population claiming no religious affiliation.

Academics from Northwestern University, in Illinois, Arizona University and a research company in Tuscon used a mathematical model to account for the interplay between the number of religious respondents and the social motives behind being one.

The American research used "nonlinear dynamics" put a numerical basis behind the decline of religion as seen in census data from New Zealand, Australia, Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Finland, Ireland, the Netherlands, and Switzerland.

"The result, reported at the American Physical Society meeting in Dallas, US, indicates that religion will all but die out altogether in those countries," the BBC reported today.

In New Zealand, 2006 census figures show that the number and proportion of people indicating that they had no religion continued to increase, with 1,297,104 people (34.7 per cent) stated that they had no religion, compared with 1,028,052 people (29.6 per cent) in the 2001 census.

That census showed younger New Zealanders were more likely than the rest of the population to be recorded as having no religion: 43 per cent of children under 15 years were recorded as having no religion, compared with 11.8 per cent of people aged 65 years or older.

Approximately 38 per cent of those who classed themselves as ethnically either European or New Zealander said they had no religion. Only 11 per cent of people who classed themselves as having Middle Eastern, Latin American and African ethnicity said the same.

Just over 2 million people - 55.6 per cent of those answering the religious affiliation question - said they were part of a Christian religion, compared with 60.6 per cent in the 2001 census.

"In a large number of modern secular democracies, there's been a trend that folk are identifying themselves as non-affiliated with religion; in the Netherlands the number was 40 per cent, and the highest we saw was in the Czech Republic, where the number was 60 per cent," Richard Wiener of the Research Corporation for Science Advancement, in Tucson, told the BBC.

The research pivoted on the idea that social groups that had more members are going to be more attractive to join, and that social groups had a social status or utility.

The researchers found that the relative social and utilitarian merits of membership of the "non-religious" category were similar across all the countries studied, suggesting that similar behaviour drove the mathematics in all of them.

And in all the countries, the indications were that religion was headed toward extinction.

Dr Wiener noted that it was a "suggestive result" from a fairly simple model that captured data going back as far as 100 years, and suggested the likely outcome.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10714235

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Re: ~~~ Religion Is Dead ~~~
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:31pm

I love that quote - it is from one of the most heart-warming and gut-wrenching movie scenes ever!

Wink

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:35pm

Equitist wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:31pm:
I love that quote - it is from one of the most heart-warming and gut-wrenching movie scenes ever!

Wink

Yes, Four Weddings and a Funeral

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:40pm

It's easy to kill of religious institutions. You just starve them of material money and watch their imaginary God stand by and do nothing until they go out of business Wink LOL

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:54pm

More worrying than the decline of religion is the decline of spirituality, and the increase in the suicide rate among young people.  

What I would define as spirituality is different to how a Christian might define it. It's that primeval feeling you get when the moon comes out from some rapidly moving clouds, or it could be brought on by beautiful natural vistas, such as standing on a deserted beach at sunset. The first time I tried scuba diving on the reef, it was almost a spiritual feeling.

I think that 'spiritual health' is as essential for our well-being just as much as physical health is. Too many people are in too much of a hurry all the time.  

Religions tend to cater for that spiritual side, and some people rely on them entirely for that.

We shouldn't celebrate the loss of religion, because religion and culture are often inextricably intertwined, and they provide a basic system of morality. Some people need that.

I could be accused of being a religionist, although I don't affiliate myself with any religion in particular.  When a minor religion dies out, I think that we have lost another way of thinking and another part of our collective cultural heritage.  If everybody thought the same way, we'd lose a lot of the diversity in life.

If you support biodiversity, maybe you should consider supporting religiodiversity for essentially the same reasons. Religions provide some unique 'habitats' and social 'ecosystems' of their own.  Tongue

Religion in one form or another will survive as long as we assign anthropogenic qualities to inanimate objects, such as 'stupid' hammers that hit the finger nail, and not the metal nail.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 7:34pm

it is a wonderful poem that.

jesus hated religion too

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Prevailing
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Stop Men
Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 2:47am

Rogue Western regimes dream of the "death of religion" and "scientific dictatorship".   But the only certainty is that these kinds of rantings of the state are more indicative of a rotting regime in terminal decline as we are seeing here in Australia and throughout the Western world as opposition intensifies against the Warpigs in the Corporate Imperialist neocolonial military industrial complex, and this is a united global push for regime change in the West from within and without. Cool

I condemn Male Violence Against Women
The Government Supports Gynocide
There Is Something Dreadfully Wrong With Men

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 5:24am

Quote:
If you support biodiversity, maybe you should consider supporting religiodiversity for essentially the same reasons.
muso

lol, I admire you muso, and our thinking coincides on many matters, and to this lovely analogy of yours I will add my two cents worth.
Religion is the Smallpox of biodiversity, and if it is retained at all, it should be kept in a safe controlled environment.
Taking your analogy a step further, and as someone who shares your sense of spirituality, and feels no need to join a group to tell me what I need to feel and believe, I think perhaps it is time for religions to evolve, if they are gong to transition from a position of net negative influence, to a positive one.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

culldav
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 10:59am

We all know the foundations of religions were created by man. Whereby man elevated an imaginary beings to omnipotence only to elevate themselves.

No positive good can come of deliberately trapping innocent people in a delusional world of imaginings, instead of a world based on fact and reality.

I disagree that some people say they don’t believe in human religions to be a spiritual person, because when you go down that track, you also open yourself up to having to ask the same questions you would  if you believed in a human religious omnipotent being.

That’s the flaw in some people saying they are spiritual, but don’t believe in manmade religions.   

The whole God Jesus thing is a load of rubbish. Here we have a omnipotent being who created human beings, but then had to send his son to incur a painful torturous death at the hands of his creations to save his creations from damnation. What a load of crap.

For an omnipotent to create the known Universe and everything in it, and then the only thing it can think of is to sacrifice it’s son to insignificant piss-ants like us to save us from damnation begs the question.  Alice in Wonderland is a more believable concept.

Religions were only invented to control the population. Imagine what would happen if the people were told the truth that there was no heaven, hell or after-life, and this was it.

The people would go out and live their lives like they should have done in the first place, and not be controlled by a group of con-artists.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #9 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 12:53pm

As Jesus hung upon the Cross
looking down upon his (Jewish) people who betrayed him,
he uttered his final words:
"Wait till me little brother Hitler gets yas!"
<gasp!>

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 7:37am

the report was a pretty good example of how to wrongly interpret data. it was saying support for religion had dropped - nothing more. it is the desier of some people for religion to die but even this jaundiced bit of rubbish admitted that it was growing in non-western countries.

really quite an embarrasingly bad bit of analysis!

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Reply #11 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 7:51am

religion is dead?

ok cool..im not religious....

did i miss the funeral?

when is the wake?

namaste

-:)

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
it_is_the_light it_is_the_light Christ+Light Christ+Light  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print