Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Smaller parties influence under Alternative Vote (Read 413 times)
Alternative Vote

Australian Politics

Smaller parties influence under Alternative Vote
Mar 22nd, 2011 at 10:30am

Hey all,

I'm a UK student looking at Australia's experience with the Alternative Vote. I'm trying to find out whether or not smaller parties, such as the Greens have influence in the HoR due to their second and subsquent preferences. Do they get policy concessions? Perhaps cruically, I'm looking for academic evidence to back this up! Does anybody have any links from journal articles, Google books or websites that you could link me to on this? Any help would really, really appreciated!

Also, out of interest what do you guys think of AV? We've got a referendum on it in the UK in 6 weeks!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Smaller parties influence under Alternative Vote
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 7:49pm

Quote:
Also, out of interest what do you guys think of AV?

No idea what you are talking about.

Minor parties have very little direct influence on the HoR. In the senate they often do wield direct power.

However, they still have power over the HoR in a long term, indirect sense. They remain a persistent threat to the major parties and keep them honest. Preferenetial voting definitely assists this. In places like the US where there is no preferential voting, it kills the minor parties and the major parties feel much less pressure to represent the people effectively.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Re: Smaller parties influence under Alternative Vote
Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 8:23am

Look at it this way.

The Independents and to a lesser extent The Greens
are slowly draining the ALP into submission - this will obviously be played out on the Federal Level of Australian Politics.
The Federal Level being the level of Politics that serves the International/Uk/USA as a priority over the Domestic wellbeing of Australia itself. The UK is served via the Governor-General and the USA is served via the Prime Minister (and the UK serves the USA anyway).

The Liberals will find their arena upon the State Level of Australian Politics, but they will discover the volitile Union(s) against them.
So it looks like the Confederates V the Unionists again here in the 'deep south' ...because Australia is a Federation.
Wonder if the Liberals will ask the Rebel Bikers to join their ranks?

Basically the former Heckle & Jeckle "tag-team" of Aust Labor Party V the Liberal Party holding the Australian public to ransom with "damned if you do and damned if you don't" is coming to an end. Take into effect that the Televisual/Newspaper Media serves the International whim as well, but the Internet is providing a new form of Politics and you will see this new Politics gain more power as an expression in Australia ...which in my view is good.

I'm voting for my local Campbelltown Independent.
Hopefully in a few more elections they will hold the majority of power and come together like Knights around a table if you know what I mean.

...so, you will see in about 20 years - Australian Politics having been turned inside-out.

...from the ashes of the Indie/Green V ALP will come the Republicans
and from the Liberals V Unions will come the Democrats.
From which it will be Republic defeats Democrats.
Wink
Cool

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print