Send Topic Print
Sexist hotel floor (Read 1959 times)
Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: Sexist hotel floor
Reply #15 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 2:19pm

Let me read the OP .. I've not read it yet. I merely responded to Equitist's post.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #16 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 2:24pm

Leah McLennan checks out a Brisbane hotel that offers a floor where men are not allowed.

With an increasing number of women hitting the road on their own, they have now got a new option: a ladies only floor to make them feel more secure.

Portal Hotel in Brisbane city is the first hotel in Australia with a women's only floor.

The idea for the single-sex floor at the Portal came from owner Georgie Woods.

On the fifth level of this stylish boutique hotel the male of the species may never tread.

Even the staff servicing the 11 rooms are all women.

With more than 40 per cent of business trips in Australia taken by women these days, no doubt many ladies would appreciate the extra security and girly touches that the Portal is offering.

- from the OP

Hmm .. interesting concept/selling point.

Personally though .. (only because I travel on my own for business) once you're booked into a hotel and you lock your door .. ie it closes shut .. how the frack does it matter who is next door/down the corridor? They can be males/females .. it doesn't matter .. you are inside your room. Right? What have I missed here?

Just giving my opinion/thinking out aloud ..

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #17 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 2:35pm

LOL...this needs to go on at least two concurrent threads...

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/malcolm-turnbull-honours-men-only-fundraise...

Quote:
Malcolm Turnbull honours men-only fundraiser

* May 22, 2009 1:04PM

MALCOLM Turnbull might be a new style of Liberal leader, but he will take a trip back in time tonight as guest of honour at a $5500 per plate fundraiser at one of Melbourne¿s exclusive men-only clubs.

The Australian reports that the Victorian Liberal Party is hosting the function, described as a “private dinner”, in the grand 19th-century surrounds of the Australian Club, on Melbourne’s William St.

The Australian Club is one of a handful of institutions formed by the gentlemen of Melbourne’s gilded age that linger on - without those noisy, pesky women-folk.

Victorian Attorney-General Rob Hulls has hinted he may amend anti-discrimination laws to force private clubs to admit women as members.

Earlier this month a group of Melbourne powerbrokers, including Graeme Samuel, Terry Moran and Geoff Walsh, announced they would set up a major new club at the top end of town after resigning in disgust from the Athenaeum Club over its refusal to admit women.

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 3:02pm

I dont have a problem with this, its their hotel, they should be able to do as they please.

I also support the rights of people to have their own clubs based on ages, race, sex, height, weight, eye colour.

What ever they want, after all its their own private business and should be able to engage it in a manner they see fit.  A business is not obliged to take you money just because you offer it.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #19 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 7:45pm

What if the women want to bring a man to their room?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

nichy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 8:27pm

freediver wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 7:45pm:
What if the women want to bring a man to their room?

Wouldn't they just book into a room on one of the regular floors ?

"He who does not value life does not deserve it." -- Leonardo da Vinci&&&&

IP Logged

what_katy_did

Melbourne
Reply #21 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 7:04am

At least you would know there would be no spermy sheets in your room!  LMAO!

"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former..."    Albert Einstein
kate_did_what  
IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 7:51am

I liked the comment to be warned that the rooms were 'compact'. Having stayed in many hotel rooms and paying a decent rate to end up with a room that has little space beyond walking room around the bed I cant imagain what 'compact' actually means. I generally find hotel rooms to be outrageously expensive and often very small.

I am putting on a training event in a regional area in 2 weeks time. The rooms are twice the size as a city hotel and half the price. The cost of food for attendees is half that of a city hotel and far better quality. The event room is 1/5th the cost and the scenery is vastly better (banks of a now-flowing Murray)

all in all... hotels leave me cold - and out of pocket.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 1:19pm

longweekend58 wrote on Mar 25th, 2011 at 7:51am:
I liked the comment to be warned that the rooms were 'compact'. Having stayed in many hotel rooms and paying a decent rate to end up with a room that has little space beyond walking room around the bed I cant imagain what 'compact' actually means. I generally find hotel rooms to be outrageously expensive and often very small.

I am putting on a training event in a regional area in 2 weeks time. The rooms are twice the size as a city hotel and half the price. The cost of food for attendees is half that of a city hotel and far better quality. The event room is 1/5th the cost and the scenery is vastly better (banks of a now-flowing Murray)

all in all... hotels leave me cold - and out of pocket.

Where abouts you holding them on the Murray Longy.  Since its my neck of the woods I might be able to throw you some travel tips.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #24 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 1:23pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 1:10pm:
mantra wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 1:08pm:
... wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 11:03am:
Will any men be petty enough to picket this gross display of sexism, as their feminist counterparts most certainly would?

There's probably some sort of compensation offered to the men - maybe a well stocked bar, gambling room etc. where they can waste time.

I'm sold.
Booze and gambling.
Somebody order the strippers and we're away....

Might be a problem Andrei.......Men-only floor would mean NO women allowed.......so it'd have to be MALE strippers..

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print