Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sexist hotel floor (Read 1953 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Sexist hotel floor
Mar 22nd, 2011 at 10:18am

and fair enough. If the customer demands it enough, the free market will supply it.

Quote:
Leah McLennan checks out a Brisbane hotel that offers a floor where men are not allowed.

With an increasing number of women hitting the road on their own, they have now got a new option: a ladies only floor to make them feel more secure.

Portal Hotel in Brisbane city is the first hotel in Australia with a women's only floor.

The idea for the single-sex floor at the Portal came from owner Georgie Woods.
On the fifth level of this stylish boutique hotel the male of the species may never tread.

Even the staff servicing the 11 rooms are all women.

With more than 40 per cent of business trips in Australia taken by women these days, no doubt many ladies would appreciate the extra security and girly touches that the Portal is offering.

I'm certainly enjoying the women-friendly frills.

There are fresh flowers next to the bed, a bowl of crisp green apples and a selection of tempting magazines (Madison, Vogue, Harper's Bazaar).

There are upgraded toiletries: there is a complimentary face pack (Yuva cleanser, mask and moisturiser) and another generous pack of MOR bathroom products to take home.

And if that isn't enough, there is a "pamper-bar", similar to a minibar, where I can purchase face products.

The girl-power concept follows through to the "real" minibar, where there are products designed by women, such as Yealands Way Carbon Zero wine made by female winemaker Tamra Washington.

If I have a hair emergency I can ring reception for a hair straightener or if I feel like stretching I can call for a yoga mat.

In the early evening there is a turn down service where comfy slippers are laid out and candles are lit.

For heightened security, the lift key is cut to only the female floor, so I will not run into any men if I go sleep walking in the night.

The idea for the single-sex floor at the Portal came from owner Georgie Woods.

"The decision to ban boys - from one floor at least - was based on demand within the market," Ms Woods says.

Around 60 per cent of women identify safety as their main concern when choosing travel accommodation, she says.

"Security on our ladies only floor is paramount - but as we don't have to worry about appealing to male guests, we've also had a lot of fun designing a feminine haven packed with girlie treats that only a female guest could truly appreciate."

In the US, the concept of female only hotel floors has been around for several years and has sparked quite a bit of controversy.

Are these hotels practicing discrimination against men, stereotyping women, simply trying to boost their bottom line or genuinely attempting to help women feel more secure?

But these questions aside, men should not feel too left out at the Portal - there are 73 rooms that can be booked regardless of gender.

All the rooms at the Portal are attractive, but be warned - they're compact.

They contain iPod docking stations, plasma TVs, Portal "O" beds chosen exclusively for the hotel and internet access (for a fee).

Next door to the hotel the "O" Bar and Restaurant serves scrumptious meals - with a menu that changes daily.

All in all, the Portal has just about everything - apart from boys on level five, but no one seems to be missing them at all.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/girls-allowed-hotel-offers-manban-floor-20110309-1b...

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Re: Sexist hotel floor
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 10:22am

What should a men-only floor offer in a hotel?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 10:30am

Quote:
Are these hotels practicing discrimination against men, stereotyping women, simply trying to boost their bottom line or genuinely attempting to help women feel more secure?

Maybe they get more female clientele and believe it's warranted for financial reasons, although male patronage will probably decline because of it.

It's mildly sexist, but females tend to spend more time in the bathroom than males.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 10:43am

Soren wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 10:22am:

For starters, should it be 'serviced' only by male staff!?

Wink

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 10:49am

I think the YWCA started this trend in accommodation ?

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 10:51am

Soren wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 10:22am:

It'd certainly get George Michael's custom.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 11:03am

Will any men be petty enough to picket this gross display of sexism, as their feminist counterparts most certainly would?

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 1:08pm

... wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 11:03am:
Will any men be petty enough to picket this gross display of sexism, as their feminist counterparts most certainly would?

There's probably some sort of compensation offered to the men - maybe a well stocked bar, gambling room etc. where they can waste time.

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 1:10pm

mantra wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 1:08pm:
... wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 11:03am:

There's probably some sort of compensation offered to the men - maybe a well stocked bar, gambling room etc. where they can waste time.

I'm sold.
Booze and gambling.
Somebody order the strippers and we're away....

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 1:24pm

I have no problem with this however I can't help but think of the reaction from women if a hotel dared to open a men only floor.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Jaykaye_09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 1:50pm

Belgarion wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 1:24pm:
I have no problem with this however I can't help but think of the reaction from women if a hotel dared to open a men only floor.

From women, generally? I really can't see them caring.

I can't imagine a men only floor would last long anyway... It would end up like a scene from Animal House, "TOGA TOGA TOGA".

Birds everywhere within a week.

If I don't respond to a post directed toward me, it's probably because I've gone offline, not because I'm rude.&&&&Or maybe I don't like you. In which case, sod off. Ta.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 2:00pm

Jaykaye_09 wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 1:50pm:
Belgarion wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 1:24pm:

From women, generally? I really can't see them caring.

I can't imagine a men only floor would last long anyway... It would end up like a scene from Animal House, "TOGA TOGA TOGA".

Birds everywhere within a week.

Yep .. you're spot on there Jay!

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 2:06pm

In practice, there are many establishments that exclude female clientele by design and/or default, including those where females are on offer as pieces of meat -  for slavery, sex and/or eye candy!

There are many other men or women only clubs - some explicitly so, others exclusively-so...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #13 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 2:15pm

There are many other men or women only clubs - some explicitly so, others exclusively-so...

- Equitist

True. These types of clubs eg Curves fitness club .. are exempt from the various State and Cth Anti Discrimination laws.

NB They have to apply for this exemption too and provide grounds deemed reasonable under the present exemption provisions.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 2:16pm

a mens only area would NOT have women there.
as eye candy or anything

men only areas are great. Very good for men

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print