Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Labor demonising those who question the science (Read 29616 times)
skippy.
Gold Member

Re: Labor demonising those who question the science
Reply #75 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 2:29pm

jackflash wrote on Mar 21st, 2011 at 2:19pm:
I suppose you could liken that to the fact that most confusionalists are lowly educated morons. You can try to educate them, but people with little education to begin with cant even grasp the basics.QUOTE.

Wrong.

Most
confusionalists
use words that aren't in the dictionary or anywhere else for that matter.

LOL hit a raw nerve,LOL, I'm surprised that someone that shows the lack of education that you do would even know what a dictionary was. Grin Grin

freedivers other forum- POLITICAL ANIMAL
Click onWWW below 
IP Logged

Dsmithy70
Gold Member

ire futuis vobismetipsis

Newy
Reply #76 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 10:13pm

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s3169309.htm

Climate Scienists side of the story
Full transcript and video at link

I think ACMA just might have enough official complaints after tonight
Imagine parrot having to sit there and have his lies picked apart. Grin

Quote:
From: David Karoly Sent: Monday, 21 March 2011 5:20 AM To: Jonathan Holmes Subject: Review of Carter's Book in 2010
Hi Jonathan, I have received emails from several people asking me about my review of Bob Carter’s book, Climate: The Counter-Consensus, which is being prepared for Robin Williams Science Show. I have read the book twice but not yet completed my review in writing. A general comment on the book: While it has fewer gross errors than Ian Plimer’s book Heaven+Earth, it is a mixture of scientific facts with misinformation and misinterpretation, as well as outright errors, spun around a framework of personal opinion. Its conclusions are inconsistent with any scientific assessment of climate change prepared by any major national or international scientific body, such as the US National Research Council, the British Royal Society, the Australian Academy of Science, or the IPCC. His claims of a counter-consensus on climate change based on sound science are wrong. Best wishes, David ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Prof David Karoly School of Earth Sciences University of Melbourne, VIC 3010, AUSTRALIA ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
No science in Plimer's primer Michael Ashley From: The Australian May 09, 2009 12:00AM
Heaven and Earth By Ian Plimer Connor Court, 503pp, $39.95 ONE of the peculiar things about being an astronomer is that you receive, from time to time, monographs on topics such as "a new theory of the electric universe", or "Einstein was wrong", or "the moon landings were a hoax".

The writings are always earnest, often involve conspiracy theories and are scientifically worthless. One such document that arrived last week was Ian Plimer's Heaven and Earth. What makes this case unusual is that Plimer is a professor -- of mining geology -- at the University of Adelaide. If the subject were anything less serious than the future habitability of the planet Earth, I wouldn't go to the trouble of writing this review.

Plimer sets out to refute the scientific consensus that human emissions of CO2 have changed the climate. He states in his acknowledgments that the book evolved from a dinner in London with three young lawyers who believed the consensus. As Plimer writes: "Although these three had more than adequate intellectual material to destroy the popular paradigm, they had neither the scientific knowledge nor the scientific training to pull it apart stitch by stitch. This was done at dinner."

This is a remarkable claim. If Plimer is right and he is able to show that the work of literally thousands of oceanographers, solar physicists, biologists, atmospheric scientists, geologists, and snow and ice researchers during the past 100 years is fundamentally flawed, then it would rank as one of the greatest discoveries of the century and would almost certainly earn him a Nobel prize. This is the scale of Plimer's claim.

Quote:
4. Have you been invited onto a commercial radio talk program in the last year but declined? If so, when was that, what program was it and why did you decline?
Yes - the invitation was general and I declined - John Law's program. I declined because based on my limited experience of commercial radio I do not think they are actually interested in being informed on the science. It is very hard to calmly respond to questions that are ill-informed and misrepresent anything vaguely scientific. It would be like asking a cardiologist to respond to the well known theory that humans do not have a heart and cardiologists only claim we have a heart so they can make lots of money claiming to operate on them. This is so utterly without foundation that it is actually hard to say anything but "that is stupid". If we respond like this to equivalent questions on climate science we are accused of being defensive or not knowing etc.

5. Why do you believe there aren’t climate scientists who believe in anthropogenic global warming with similar high profiles as Professor Plimer and Professor Carter in the commercial media sector in Australia? Do you think this is something that needs to be addressed and if so, how?
Climate science is complex. It takes us 10-20 years to get to a point that we think we understand it. Explaining science that complex is challenging at the best of times, doing it when a radio host is cutting in, huffing and puffing, clearly laughing at what is decades of sound science or simply asserting that lies like ClimateGate represent a serious problem to the science, or that climate models are demonstrably wrong is probably impossible. In contrast, stating to a welcoming radio announcer that there is no proof that global warming is a problem and NOT BEING contested on this point is child's play. Yes, this should be addressed. I happen to believe that the commercial media sector should have a standard equivalent to the ABC - a requirement for accuracy, balance, rigor. I might comment that this is likely to happen the week after hell freezes over

REBELLION is not what most people think it is.
REBELLION is when you turn off the TV & start educating & thinking for yourself.
Gavin Nascimento

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #77 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 11:05pm

Quote:
JULIA GILLARD: The scientific consensus is stronger than ever. Given these realities, I ask: who would I rather have on my side? Alan Jones, Piers Akerman and Andrew Bolt, or the CSIRO, the Australian Academy of Science, the Bureau of Meteorology, NASA, the US National Atmospheric Administration and every reputable climate scientist in the world

Is Julia asking the question in preparation for an academic conference or an election?

IP Logged

Prevailing
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Stop Men
Reply #78 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 11:23pm

The labour party is dangerously unhinged preaching scientific dictatorship - its time the coalition called them out on it in the parliament.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

JuLIAR has the science on her side.... Grin Grin Grin Shocked Shocked Shocked Grin Grin Grin

Thars a conversation stopper - we cant disagree with JuLIAR 'cause she got the science on her side which entitles her to lie and do anything she wants mandate or not. Smiley

I condemn Male Violence Against Women
The Government Supports Gynocide
There Is Something Dreadfully Wrong With Men

IP Logged

chicken_lipsforme
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Townsville NQ
Reply #79 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 7:01am

Please delete wrote on Mar 21st, 2011 at 2:29pm:
So now you're questioning EVERYTHING?

No, just how precise the science used to obtain past temperatures prior to records.
And guessing isn't science.

"Another boat, another policy failure from the Howard government"

Julia Gillard
Shadow Health Minister

IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Please delete this smacking

Reply #80 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 7:31am

chicken_lipsforme wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 7:01am:

No, just how precise the science used to obtain past temperatures prior to records.

But that isn't restricted to NASA, that's everyone, every science, every scientist.

Were there dinosaurs? The evidence is compelling, but it is "just" evidence.

How did the universe form? Was there a Mediaeval Warm Period or a Little Ice Age? (Can't use those against GW if you are also going to question their occurrence, which has been deduced as much or more than measured).

You may as well go back to creationism to explain everything.

IP Logged

chicken_lipsforme
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Townsville NQ
Reply #81 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 9:14am

Please delete wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 7:31am:

But that isn't restricted to NASA, that's everyone, every science, every scientist.

How did the universe form? Was there a Mediaeval Warm Period or a Little Ice Age? (Can't use those against GW if you are also going to question their occurrence, which has been deduced as much or more than measured).

Not really, you would find that NASA, CSIRO and others are getting their information from other small groups of organisations or people who are peddling this tripe.
The reality is there is no solid way of determining past world average temperatures before weather stations.
It's all 'computer modelling', Arctic icypoles and guesswork.
And it's these figures that they are using to 'prove' global warming when they compare those guesstimated figures to todays average temps.
They were waffling on about '2010 being the hottest year on record', but neglected to mention that official records only go back to 1900.
They also left out the temperatures from Russia they had in their freezing winter which would have impacted on their '2010 hottest year on record' claim.
Seems to me they are selective in their use of statistics.

Julia Gillard
Shadow Health Minister

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #82 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:09pm

This is legitimate enquiry!

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #83 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:13pm

chicken_lipsforme wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 9:14am:

Not really, you would find that NASA, CSIRO and others are getting their information from other small groups of organisations or people who are peddling this tripe.
The reality is there is no solid way of determining past world average temperatures before weather stations.
It's all 'computer modelling', Arctic icypoles and guesswork.
And it's these figures that they are using to 'prove' global warming when they compare those guesstimated figures to todays average temps.
They were waffling on about '2010 being the hottest year on record', but neglected to mention that official records only go back to 1900.
They also left out the temperatures from Russia they had in their freezing winter which would have impacted on their '2010 hottest year on record' claim.

Ya gotta be sceptical: that is what good science is all about!

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #84 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:13pm

http://ecolocalizer.com/tag/madfasttrains-com/

IP Logged

qikvtec
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Queensland
Reply #85 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:37pm

GrandPaPa wrote on Mar 18th, 2011 at 10:07am:
philperth said:
I have no problem with anyone questioning the science of climate change....feel free to provide all the evidence available so people can make an informed decision.....People should never blindly accept anything that is said to them.....However as every government on Earth has agreed the science is correct and action is required I fail to see how they could all be so wrong......I do not think all these countries would be advocating such a drastic change in the world economy unless there was truth in it....why would they do this to there own economies if climate change was crap....I think it is more a case of seeking an advantage than accepting there is a problem.....The debate is being driven by self interest not the science???      

Spot on philperth, and I'd suggest for self-interest read MONEY.....
In this world political types readily cast aside morality and common sense if these impinge in any way upon their lust for the tax dollar!
One has only to consider the Australian state governments' full-blown, completely immoral attachment to the gambling industry teat!
And of course we all know that doyen of the human climate change cult, Al Gore, isn't into it for the megabucks.....yeah right!!

Are you suggesting for a second that an ETS won't be the biggest speculative bubble of all time?  I'll do my best to exploit it if it comes in.

Politicians and Nappies need to be changed often and for the same reason.

One trouble with political jokes is that they often get elected.

Alan Joyce for PM

IP Logged

qikvtec
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Queensland
Reply #86 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:42pm

Prove without assumption that 1+1=2

Politicians and Nappies need to be changed often and for the same reason.

One trouble with political jokes is that they often get elected.

Alan Joyce for PM

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #87 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:56pm

qikvtec wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:37pm:
GrandPaPa wrote on Mar 18th, 2011 at 10:07am:
philperth said:
I have no problem with anyone questioning the science of climate change....feel free to provide all the evidence available so people can make an informed decision.....People should never blindly accept anything that is said to them.....However as every government on Earth has agreed the science is correct and action is required I fail to see how they could all be so wrong......I do not think all these countries would be advocating such a drastic change in the world economy unless there was truth in it....why would they do this to there own economies if climate change was crap....I think it is more a case of seeking an advantage than accepting there is a problem.....The debate is being driven by self interest not the science???      

Spot on philperth, and I'd suggest for self-interest read MONEY.....
In this world political types readily cast aside morality and common sense if these impinge in any way upon their lust for the tax dollar!
One has only to consider the Australian state governments' full-blown, completely immoral attachment to the gambling industry teat!
And of course we all know that doyen of the human climate change cult, Al Gore, isn't into it for the megabucks.....yeah right!!

Are you suggesting for a second that an ETS won't be the biggest speculative bubble of all time?  I'll do my best to exploit it if it comes in.

Don't hide that light will ya......  Shocked Shocked Roll Eyes

IP Logged

chicken_lipsforme
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Townsville NQ
Reply #88 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 7:23am

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:13pm:
chicken_lipsforme wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 9:14am:

It's all 'computer modelling', Arctic icypoles and guesswork.

Ya gotta be sceptical: that is what good science is all about!

Well considering the experts have a 50/50 chance of getting tomorrows weather picked correctly, what chance to they have from guesstimating 200 years ago.
Although to give credit where credit is due, they are very good at picking yesterdays weather.

Julia Gillard
Shadow Health Minister

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #89 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 10:12am

Dsmithy70 wrote on Mar 21st, 2011 at 10:13pm:
http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s3169309.htm

Climate Scienists side of the story
Full transcript and video at link

I think ACMA just might have enough official complaints after tonight
Imagine parrot having to sit there and have his lies picked apart. Grin

Quote:
From: David Karoly Sent: Monday, 21 March 2011 5:20 AM To: Jonathan Holmes Subject: Review of Carter's Book in 2010
Hi Jonathan, I have received emails from several people asking me about my review of Bob Carter’s book, Climate: The Counter-Consensus, which is being prepared for Robin Williams Science Show. I have read the book twice but not yet completed my review in writing. A general comment on the book: While it has fewer gross errors than Ian Plimer’s book Heaven+Earth, it is a mixture of scientific facts with misinformation and misinterpretation, as well as outright errors, spun around a framework of personal opinion. Its conclusions are inconsistent with any scientific assessment of climate change prepared by any major national or international scientific body, such as the US National Research Council, the British Royal Society, the Australian Academy of Science, or the IPCC. His claims of a counter-consensus on climate change based on sound science are wrong. Best wishes, David ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Prof David Karoly School of Earth Sciences University of Melbourne, VIC 3010, AUSTRALIA ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
No science in Plimer's primer Michael Ashley From: The Australian May 09, 2009 12:00AM
Heaven and Earth By Ian Plimer Connor Court, 503pp, $39.95 ONE of the peculiar things about being an astronomer is that you receive, from time to time, monographs on topics such as "a new theory of the electric universe", or "Einstein was wrong", or "the moon landings were a hoax".

The writings are always earnest, often involve conspiracy theories and are scientifically worthless. One such document that arrived last week was Ian Plimer's Heaven and Earth. What makes this case unusual is that Plimer is a professor -- of mining geology -- at the University of Adelaide. If the subject were anything less serious than the future habitability of the planet Earth, I wouldn't go to the trouble of writing this review.

Plimer sets out to refute the scientific consensus that human emissions of CO2 have changed the climate. He states in his acknowledgments that the book evolved from a dinner in London with three young lawyers who believed the consensus. As Plimer writes: "Although these three had more than adequate intellectual material to destroy the popular paradigm, they had neither the scientific knowledge nor the scientific training to pull it apart stitch by stitch. This was done at dinner."

This is a remarkable claim. If Plimer is right and he is able to show that the work of literally thousands of oceanographers, solar physicists, biologists, atmospheric scientists, geologists, and snow and ice researchers during the past 100 years is fundamentally flawed, then it would rank as one of the greatest discoveries of the century and would almost certainly earn him a Nobel prize. This is the scale of Plimer's claim.

Quote:
4. Have you been invited onto a commercial radio talk program in the last year but declined? If so, when was that, what program was it and why did you decline?
Yes - the invitation was general and I declined - John Law's program. I declined because based on my limited experience of commercial radio I do not think they are actually interested in being informed on the science. It is very hard to calmly respond to questions that are ill-informed and misrepresent anything vaguely scientific. It would be like asking a cardiologist to respond to the well known theory that humans do not have a heart and cardiologists only claim we have a heart so they can make lots of money claiming to operate on them. This is so utterly without foundation that it is actually hard to say anything but "that is stupid". If we respond like this to equivalent questions on climate science we are accused of being defensive or not knowing etc.

5. Why do you believe there aren’t climate scientists who believe in anthropogenic global warming with similar high profiles as Professor Plimer and Professor Carter in the commercial media sector in Australia? Do you think this is something that needs to be addressed and if so, how?
Climate science is complex. It takes us 10-20 years to get to a point that we think we understand it. Explaining science that complex is challenging at the best of times, doing it when a radio host is cutting in, huffing and puffing, clearly laughing at what is decades of sound science or simply asserting that lies like ClimateGate represent a serious problem to the science, or that climate models are demonstrably wrong is probably impossible. In contrast, stating to a welcoming radio announcer that there is no proof that global warming is a problem and NOT BEING contested on this point is child's play. Yes, this should be addressed. I happen to believe that the commercial media sector should have a standard equivalent to the ABC - a requirement for accuracy, balance, rigor. I might comment that this is likely to happen the week after hell freezes over

Great Post Smithy.
How hard must it be  for scientists to see this?

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print