freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
party home page
Mar 12th, 2011 at 12:17pm

I have updated the party home page:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/sustainability-party/sustainability-party.html

Mostly by adding what I hope is a more upbeat and direct introduction. Let me know what you think.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: party home page
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2011 at 9:11pm

I think........ummmm......you are being very careful to keep secret exactly who is driving this alleged "Party."  Got something to hide, freeloader?

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 2:59pm

Hmm .. at 1st glance .. it looks very busy and detailed (IMO).

I prefer the layout of any web page to be more spaced out with sections highlighted through the use of paragraphs and sub titles. It makes it easier to read and follow if you CHUNK each section this way.

On the up side .. the web page covers a lot of information which I think is very helpful.

Oh and I'm ROFLMAO @ Aussie's reply Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2011 at 3:16pm by Lisa Jones »  

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 3:14pm

A few other points ..

Is the font a tad too big for others? It seems to be for me.

Also .. the length of each line from left to right seems too big for some reason as well.

Remember .. the human eye reads up/down far easier and more effectively than left to right.

Also .. where you've used bullet points .. just remember bullet points should be used to highlight bullet points (not paragraphs).

Personally .. I would add a line between bullet points (again it makes it easier for the human eye to read and follow information which isn't too busy/detailed).

I trust this feedback helps.
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2011 at 3:24pm by Lisa Jones »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 7:21pm

Thanks for the tips Lisa.

Yes Aussie, I do have something to hide.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 8:31pm

I think if you ditch this paragraph......you'll attract more members.

This is why we also support the resumption of commercial harvesting of Minke Whales. We urge all Australians to consider the details on this issue rather than blindly supporting the outdated blanket ban on whaling. We will pursue this policy regardless of the ‘image problem’ it creates for the party. That’s how we roll.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 8:48pm

Yes we would. But it would defeat the purpose of the party if we did that.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #7 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 9:18pm

mantra wrote on Mar 13th, 2011 at 8:31pm:
I think if you ditch this paragraph......you'll attract more members.

This is why we also support the resumption of commercial harvesting of Minke Whales. We urge all Australians to consider the details on this issue rather than blindly supporting the outdated blanket ban on whaling. We will pursue this policy regardless of the ‘image problem’ it creates for the party. That’s how we roll.

OH MY GOD! NO NO NO FD .. don't do it. You have been open and honest about where you stand/what you stand for. THAT is what people are hungry for!

The advice given by Mantra is unwise and quite frankly dishonest.

There is no way I'd be hiding the truth to attract more members only to then reveal party policy on something so imp't later on. It will come across as dishonest and will cause anger and frustration amongst those who vote for you.

TRANSPARENCY .. is what is needed.

Keep it simple and clear.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 9:25pm

Another tip FD .. HOUSING!

This portfolio has been a hot potato ever since Federation.

(I know my family and I are into domestic real estate in a very big way .. but I am raising this only because it remains a key issue .. even today)

How have you addressed housing?

Any party which is able to address domestic housing issues .. in a manner which is economically and environmentally sustainable gets my vote!

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 9:27pm

I'd put line breaks in between the domestic policy dot points. It's a bit of a wall. Other than that it reads well. Good on you for walking the walk.

How would you reduce immigration? Can you link me to a thread if that's already been discussed please?

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #10 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 6:50am

freediver wrote on Mar 13th, 2011 at 8:48pm:
Yes we would. But it would defeat the purpose of the party if we did that.

Is there a huge demand in Australia to hunt Minke whales? If there isn't - there's no point having a political party which can't get off the ground because of one unpopular policy.

The Australian people generally appear to reject whaling.

You've even commented that it might create an image problem. It doesn't matter how "upbeat" your introduction appears - "resumption of commercial whaling" is a huge deterrant for people who might otherwise want to become members.

If you're happy with your membership numbers - then there's no problem.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 7:52pm

Housing: the people I work with actually do a lot of work with development applications. The government seems to be on the ball with this and the requirements are getting stricter. You are unlikely to find new houses these days without ceiling insulation. The requirements are defined in terms of the end result - the energy required to achieve a comfortable internal environment, which seems like a good idea as it encourages innovative ways to achieve compliance.

Immigration policy:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/sustainability-party/immigration.html

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1235220614

Mantra, you don't seem to be getting it. The purpose of the party is not to gain power, but to bring about change. If we gain power by mimmicking the other parties we are wasting our time and might as well just join those other parties and save ourselves the effort. I honestly wouldn't care if the party only had one member because of it's policies. If people share our views, let them join. If not, I would rather the party died than gave up what it stands for.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #12 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 9:53pm

freediver wrote on Mar 14th, 2011 at 7:52pm:
Housing: the people I work with actually do a lot of work with development applications. The government seems to be on the ball with this and the requirements are getting stricter. You are unlikely to find new houses these days without ceiling insulation. The requirements are defined in terms of the end result - the energy required to achieve a comfortable internal environment, which seems like a good idea as it encourages innovative ways to achieve compliance.

Immigration policy:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/sustainability-party/immigration.html

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1235220614

Mantra, you don't seem to be getting it. The purpose of the party is not to gain power, but to bring about change. If we gain power by mimmicking the other parties we are wasting our time and might as well just join those other parties and save ourselves the effort. I honestly wouldn't care if the party only had one member because of it's policies. If people share our views, let them join. If not, I would rather the party died than gave up what it stands for.

Beautiful. Made me smile Smiley

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #13 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 8:42am

freediver wrote on Mar 14th, 2011 at 7:52pm:

How do you bring about change when there are so few people who are prepared to support one of your major policies? It is in your favour that you have principles and you stick to them, but there is a certain amount of popularism needed to attract people first so they will listen to you.

Pride is a good thing but it can mean that you are the last man standing. We all have to compromise a little if we are to be heard. You could always put your whaling policy in some sort of sub-clause linked to a more general heading.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 6:44pm

Quote:
How do you bring about change when there are so few people who are prepared to support one of your major policies?

By changing their minds. Ultimately, that is how all political change comes about. This website brings more than enough audience. We do not need to trick people into reading or unwittingly supporting the whaling policy by pretending to be something we are not. I'm not sure how that would help bring about change anyway.

The main change we want to bring about is to stop political parties from acting the way you recommend we act. The Australian poltical landscape needs more robust debate and more upfront policy. Our politicians have become slaves to the polls and to fear mongering. The end result of this is that no-one is actually leading. Our politics is chained to the whims of largely uninformed, disinterested public opinion.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print