Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Removed my children from school because of Islam (Read 9669 times)
mason

Australian Politics

Removed my children from school because of Islam
Mar 6th, 2011 at 10:29am

I am sorry to have to report this but i am fed up.

It has been going on for the last 6 months when my son in year 6 he asked that my wife and I start picking up him and his brothers from school, we live 200m from school. I thought it odd and it turns out a group of arabian boys new to the school had singled him out and was bullying him. Up until this i have never had this problem with any of my children. My son is well liked and the teachers have always loved him.

From then till now things have been very bad at the school with Muslim parents constantly at the school arguing with the head master and teachers and ME! I approached the parents of the children in a humane way to get the children to back off with no result. Instead i got some dribble of how bad of a people my children are.

Anyway to cut a long story short, the last friday i punched 2 of the men in the face. I was completely sick the constant heated arguements at the school and with myself. There where a few people that said "its about time"!

I am disappointed in myself but enough is enough. I will pull my children from this school and meet with head masters of various schools until i see what i like. I feel sorry for the teachers at this school and i hear that they are changing the teaching program to accommidate these impossible people. What i was taught as a child is no longer going to be taught to the young children of today which is an absolute disgrace and an outrage. Absolutely appaulled that this is taking place.

I ask the question, WHY CAN"T YOU JUST FIT IN? Why try to change things that don't belong to you? If this place is so bad then please leave back to your own country and try to change that place seeing as you felt the need to immigrate here. That goes for anyone!

I understand that this is not the case everywhere and some pleasurable Muslims have come to Australia (not that i am friends with any of them  Undecided).

BTW Abu_Rashid i find your Avatar extremely insulting as you would if i were to do that to the flag of your heritage.

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2011 at 10:36am by mason »  

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Re: Removed my children from school because of Islam
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 10:35am

mason wrote on Mar 6th, 2011 at 10:29am:
I am sorry to have to report this but i am fed up.

It has been going on for the last 6 months when my son in year 6 he asked that my wife and I start picking up him and his brothers from school, we live 200m from school. I thought it odd and it turns out a group of arabian boys new to the school had singled him out and was bullying him. Up until this i have never had this problem with any of my children. My son is well liked and the teachers have always loved him.

From then till now things have been very bad at the school with Muslim parents constantly at the school arguing with the head master and teachers and ME! I approached the parents of the children in a humane way to get the children to back off with no result. Instead i got some dribble of how bad of a people my children are.

Anyway to cut a long story short, the last friday i punched 2 of the men in the face. I was completely sick the constant heated arguements at the school and with myself. There where a few people that said "its about time"!

I am disappointed in myself but enough is enough. I will pull my children from this school and meet with head masters of various schools until i see what i like. I feel sorry for the teachers at this school and i hear that they are changing the teaching program to accommidate these impossible people. What i was taught as a child is no longer going to be taught to the young children of today which is an absolute disgrace and an outrage. Absolutely appaulled that this is taking place.

I ask the question, WHY CAN"T YOU JUST FIT IN? Why try to change things that don't belong to you? If this place is so bad then please leave back to your own country and try to change that place seeing as you felt the need to immigrate here. That goes for anyone!

I understand that this is not the case everywhere and some pleasurable Muslims have come to Australia (not that i am friends with any of them  Undecided).

BTW Abu_Bashir i find your Avatar extremely insulting as you would if i were to do that to the flag of your heritage.

Crikey, Mason, I am taking this post at face value (I hope it isn't a ruse) - it sounds like you and your kids have had a rough time...

For what it's worth, I wouldn't necessarily advocate changing a child's school except in extreme circumstances - because quite often a change of school simply means swapping one set of problems for a slightly different lot...

That said, I would probably have done the same thing (minus the confrontation and fisty-cuffs) and pulled my kids out of a school where the situation amongst their peers has deteriorated to such an extent as to create serious angst...

I wish your kids better luck in their new school - but I would suggest that you work on building their inner resilience...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

mason

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 10:45am

My eldest son now in year 7 actually wants to change schools that is definately going to happen. My other 2, daughter in year 5 just thinks they are stupid and my son in year 3 is a bit scared. The reason i want to remove also is in relation to our table conversations. Thesedays the conversation has a lot to do with conflict whereas before the convo was always happy and energetic (kids being kids) and that has gone.
I will have to have a talk to the other 2 to see what they want and how they feel. So far this weekend i have kept myself pretty busy as a way of avoiding the kids i think
No doubt i will get a phone call from the school on monday and surprisingly i haven't had a knock on the door from the cops yet.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 10:53am

mason wrote on Mar 6th, 2011 at 10:45am:
My eldest son now in year 7 actually wants to change schools that is definately going to happen. My other 2, daughter in year 5 just thinks they are stupid and my son in year 3 is a bit scared. The reason i want to remove also is in relation to our table conversations. Thesedays the conversation has a lot to do with conflict whereas before the convo was always happy and energetic (kids being kids) and that has gone.
I will have to have a talk to the other 2 to see what they want and how they feel. So far this weekend i have kept myself pretty busy as a way of avoiding the kids i think
No doubt i will get a phone call from the school on monday and surprisingly i haven't had a knock on the door from the cops yet.

My gut-feeling, is that your daughter is wise and objective and that you'd do well to foster in your two sons some of her inner strength and perspective - along with her resilience tools...

Either way, they will take their lead from you - if you take affront to (and lash out over) day-to-day jostling by immature, insecure and testosterone-driven adolescents, then your children will too...

You can choose to promote a positive and jovial approach to life - or you can model a victim mentality...

PS   I do not mean to sound judgemental.  For what it's worth, I have two adolescent boys of my own - now in Yrs 8 and 11.  The eldest has a noticeable physical disability and his younger brother is a dancer/performing artist.  They also have a mixed heritage with a 1/2-German surname - so they haven't had an 'easy' run of schooling.

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2011 at 11:01am by Equitist »  

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 11:25am

Quote:

Whilst I have the deepest sympathies for you and your family if your children are victims of bullying, your attempts to paint it as some kind of Islamic problem are just ridiculous. As if bullying is not absolutely rife in Australian schools and society. Come on, please try to be just a tad objective here. There's been many cases recently of kids in predominantly Anglo schools who've committed suicide even because of the rampant bullying going on. This is not to mention the case a few days ago of a Muslim girl who was continually racially taunted by Anglo students in Hoxton Park, until it burst into an all out racial confrontation.

The simple fact is that Western societies in general are riddled with bullying, something which is not so prevalent in most other societies. The racism that some Anglos promote exasperates the situation a lot too. Children in Australian society will usually use any means to taunt and bully their peers, and if they happen to be racially different, then that often is a convenient way to bully, which then leads to those discriminated against fighting back.

I'm not saying your kids racially taunted others, but have you ruled out the possibility that they did? Perhaps they are innocent victims, in which case I sympathise with them, as I sympathise with any victims of this vicious culture of bullying that is wreaking havoc on our society, and not just in schools but apparently in workplaces as well, amongst so called grown adults.

Quote:
I feel sorry for the teachers at this school and i hear that they are changing the teaching program to accommidate these impossible people. What i was taught as a child is no longer going to be taught to the young children of today which is an absolute disgrace and an outrage. Absolutely appaulled that this is taking place.

Not really sure what you mean here, perhaps you could elaborate on what is not going to be taught, so we can form an opinion?

Quote:
I ask the question, WHY CAN"T YOU JUST FIT IN?

I don't know who you're asking this to, if it's the people who you seem to have a problem with, how about asking them? How about asking for them to recount their experiences of trying to "fit in" in an Australia that seems to think it's fine to racially vilify people who are not of the majority ethnicity? How about you try walking a mile in their shoes and then ask yourself that question?

Quote:
BTW Abu_Rashid i find your Avatar extremely insulting as you would if i were to do that to the flag of your heritage.

That is the flag of my heritage, I am a 7th. gen. Aussie...  Huh
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2011 at 12:38pm by abu_rashid »  
abu_rashid  
IP Logged

mason

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 12:09pm

First of all i grew up in one of the toughest neighbourhoods in Australia and have been in some extremely dark frames of mind throughout my childhood and adolesense. I was raised by a single mother and never knew my father, im not going into detail of my teenage years and early adulthood because i choose to keep it a distant memory. I believe i could walk a mile any mans shoes. Since then i have somehow become successful and have managed to end up in a good community and my kids are/were at a good school.

Before you go any deeper i know what goes on in middle eastern countries to well. I don't believe we should be there and dont support that.

As for my children being racists think again. I myself have many African, Asian and European friends and my children have grown up around them there entire lives and they often bring home friends of different nationalities. Australia is a multicultural nation.

As for the teachers, they have been confronted in an aggressive manner to stop teaching things that naturally get taught in Australian. For example this year Christmas will not be taught and rarely mentioned. Why? Because thats what started all of this in the beginning. There will be no end of year carols or anything like that.

As for bullying of cause it's a problem in all schools of young ages. Most people have experienced it, some more than others. I sincerely don't have any reason to believe my son has provoked this at all.

Why are the parents of these children acting so outragously? You may arue that i'm the one that throw punches but that was after 6 months of wondering "what was going on after school today". Verbal heated arguements, dirty looks from the childrens parents, my son not leaving the classroom until my wife and I are there to walk him to the car? Give me a break

Nah my kids aren't going back to that school, i wish i could do something to help but i can't

IP Logged

mason

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 12:48pm

Can i ask a quick question?

After doing some quick research on muslims and islam. Is it true that muslims cannot befriend Non-muslims?

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #7 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 12:58pm

mason wrote on Mar 6th, 2011 at 12:48pm:

After doing some quick research on muslims and islam. Is it true that muslims cannot befriend Non-muslims?

Hmmnnn....let me guess...your 'quick research' didn't extend beyond anti-Muslim/Islam sites!?

You know, the ones that inevitably say something to the effect of, "All Muslims are taught to hate us from birth"!?

Either way, dare I suggest that you should refrain from feeding this sort of 'information' to your own children...

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #8 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 12:59pm

Quote:
First of all i grew up in one of the toughest neighbourhoods in Australia and have been in some extremely dark frames of mind throughout my childhood and adolesense. I was raised by a single mother and never knew my father, im not going into detail of my teenage years and early adulthood because i choose to keep it a distant memory. I believe i could walk a mile any mans shoes. Since then i have somehow become successful and have managed to end up in a good community and my kids are/were at a good school.

That's wonderful I am glad to hear you didn't let it get you down. Likewise I know of Muslim immigrants who've grown up in the bad neighbourhoods here to become doctors, lawyers, mayors of cities etc.

I am in no way stating their perceived discrimination is a justification for these actions or for anything else. Each person is responsible for their own resilience and for rising up out of their situation to better it.

Quote:
Before you go any deeper i know what goes on in middle eastern countries to well. I don't believe we should be there and dont support that

Whilst I appreciate the sentiment that's not really part of this discussion. This is about you claiming that Islam is the cause for you wanting to remove your children from their school. My position is that Islam has nothing to do at all with you wanting to remove your kids from their school, it's about there being bullying at the school, which has absolutely nothing to do with Islam at all, and in fact seems to be something endemic in Australian culture.

Whilst it doesn't excuse the behaviour of any bully, I think that if Middle Eastern immigrants here (who could be Christians as well, not all Middle Eastern immigrants are Muslims) is being a bully, it's more than likely a behaviour they've learned here than brought with them from the Middle East. again that doesn't excuse it, but in fact they're just adapting to the Australian school system, in which bullying is rife. Therefore linking it to Islam is just completely inappropriate.

Quote:
As for my children being racists think again. I myself have many African, Asian and European friends and my children have grown up around them there entire lives and they often bring home friends of different nationalities. Australia is a multicultural nation.

As I said, I'm not saying they are. I don't think that I grew up as a racist either nor in an overly racist household, but at school sometimes we would use racial differences as a means to taunt others (I grew up in a very Anglo-dominated area, where foreigners were few and far between). I don't think kids are thinking racially, they're just looking for anything to taunt other kids with. If the other kid isn't fat, doesn't wear glasses, doesn't have a bowl cut, doesn't walk funny or speak funny, or have gherkin and cheese sandwiches for lunch etc. yet he's got darker skin, or sounds a bit 'woggy' then that's gonna be the only option left with which to taunt him isn't it? Again not saying your kids did that, but many kids do, even if they're not doing it for overly racist motivations.

Quote:
As for the teachers, they have been confronted in an aggressive manner to stop teaching things that naturally get taught in Australian. For example this year Christmas will not be taught and rarely mentioned. Why? Because thats what started all of this in the beginning. There will be no end of year carols or anything like that.

Well Australia is a secular state, and we all pay taxes, which fund government schools. Why should my taxes go to teach kids about a certain religion in a public school? If you wanna have your kids taught Christmas and other Christian festivities, then by all means send them to a Christian school, just as I can send my kids to an Islamic school if I want them taught about Eid, Hajj & Ramadan. I do not expect a state school to teach them these things, and I don't think it's appropriate in a secular state to do so either. Australia is changing (nay! has changed), and you need to come to grips with this.

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2011 at 1:23pm by abu_rashid »  
abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 1:22pm

mason....enrol your kids in the local soccer team. The parents all get on and the kids all get on, Muslims, Asians, Africans Europeans....a little multicultural paradise. Register your school with Harmony Day and explore other cultures, the kids will learn about other people and have a friendly soccer game....win win.

You and the youngins' can make life long Muslim friends then you won't have to take the word of Forum members, you'll know the answers.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #10 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 1:26pm

Quote:

If you look in the Common misconceptions about Islam thread which is about the third or fourth sticky thread from the top in the Islam forum, you'll see this is the first issue addressed.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

mason

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 1:27pm

abu_rashid wrote on Mar 6th, 2011 at 12:59pm:
[quote]

Well Australia is a secular state, and we all pay taxes, which fund government schools. Why should my taxes go to teach kids about a certain religion in a public school? If you wanna have your kids taught Christmas and other Christian festivities, then by all means send them to a Christian school, just as I can send my kids to an Islamic school if I want them taught about Eid, Hajj & Ramadan. I do not expect a state school to teach them these things, and I don't think it's appropriate in a secular state to do so either. Australia is changing (nay! has changed), and you need to come to grips with this.

This is exactly my point and i had a feeling this would be your answer and also answers my question about Muslims just fitting in rather then trying to change our way of life. It is a bit worrying, i am not anit-muslim but i have just recently read many stories on the net of this thing happening all over Australia. It is a worry and i don't like it.

Its funny your response was "if you dont like it send your kids elsewhere", yet that the way schools in Australia have always been in Australia and how this school always was. So instead of trying to CHANGE it don't you think the other families should be sending there kids to a school that better suits there needs?

Another thing i will bring up is the fact there are many non-christians at the school that go with the flow. Chinese for example that don't celebrate christmas on some others yet none of them make a fuss?

Equitists i haven't yet read that Muslims hate us from birth. I have read some translated passages of the Qar'an. Just getting started mate don't judge me yet

IP Logged

mason

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 1:31pm

Ok i can see i am focusing to much on this. I wish to end this discussion now and move on with my life. Thanks for the discussion and good luck in life.

Bye

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #13 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 1:40pm

Quote:
This is exactly my point and i had a feeling this would be your answer and also answers my question about Muslims just fitting in rather then trying to change our way of life

A few points you need to realise:

1) Many of us Muslims are not immigrants, we are Aussie converts to Islam, and therefore the usual arguments of "If you don't like it don't come here" simply don't apply.
2) Even more Muslims are those who were born here to immigrant parents. Again, they didn't come here, they're born here and have just as much right here as you.
3) Australia is a very culturally and religiously diverse country now, and you need to accept times change. Its culture will inevitably become less Anglo-centric, deal with it.

Australia is not a Christian country, it is a secular country, and since Christianity is no longer such a strong force in society, people simply don't want it shoved down their kids throats at a public school. It's not just Muslims, Atheists, Jews and others simply don't want it either. If you want religion there's plenty of faith-based schools out there, go for your life. If you don't actually want religion, but just want something to hassle Muslims about, then get a life.

Quote:
Its funny your response was "if you dont like it send your kids elsewhere", yet that the way schools in Australia have always been in Australia and how this school always was. So instead of trying to CHANGE it don't you think the other families should be sending there kids to a school that better suits there needs

The key word here being "was". Times change, please learn to deal with it.

Personally, I want my kids to have a faith-based education, so I send them to an Islamic school. I suggest if you want the same, then you send your kids to a Christian school. Even if for no other reason than to be rest assured that when they get bullied it'll only be good true blue Aussie Christians bullying them, not those big bad evil Arabian Muslims.

Quote:
Another thing i will bring up is the fact there are many non-christians at the school that go with the flow. Chinese for example that don't celebrate christmas on some others yet none of them make a fuss?

Well if you only want Chinese immigrants here, then I suggest you lobby the government to restrict immigration only to nice passive acquiescent Chinese immigrants.

As the Chinese don't really have their own religion (other than Communism) I guess that's why they couldn't care less if state schools pump Christianity into them.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #14 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 1:50pm

Australia is not a Christian country, it is a secular country, and since Christianity is no longer such a strong force in society, people simply don't want it shoved down their kids throats at a public school

- Abu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia

In the 2006 census, 64% of Australians listed themselves as Christian, including 26% as Roman Catholic and 19% as Anglican. About 19% of the population cited "No religion" (which includes humanism, atheism, agnosticism, and rationalism), which was the fastest-growing group from 2001 to 2006, and a further 12% did not answer (the question is optional) or did not give a response adequate for interpretation.

The largest non-Christian religion in Australia is Buddhism (2.1%), followed by Islam (1.7%), Hinduism (0.8%), and Judaism (0.5%). Overall, fewer than 6% of Australians identify with non-Christian religions.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print