Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Majority of aussies worried about muslims (Read 9803 times)
stryder
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Majority of aussies worried about muslims
Mar 1st, 2011 at 11:05pm

60% of Australians identify problems with muslims

Quote:
Almost 60% worried by Muslim immigration
65% - no to religious discrimination
27% - pollies "genuine concern for future"
NEARLY 60 per cent of Australian voters are worried about Muslim immigration, an opinion survey today has reported.

But more voters, 65 per cent, believe migrants should not be discriminated against for their religion.

The polling by Essential Research taken over the past seven days has confirmed that Islamic immigration is perceived by many voters as a central political issue.

But the survey also found many of those more concerned were basing their views on incorrect information.

A clear majority, 61 per cent, who believe some politicians raise issues of race and religion to generate more votes. Just 27 per cent said those politicians were genuinely concerned about Australia's future.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/essential-research-poll-finds-almost-60-per-cent-of-aussies-worry-about-muslim-immigration/story-e6frfkvr-1226013688143#ixzz1FLug78bk

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Re: Majority of aussies worried about muslims
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2011 at 11:08pm

stryder wrote on Mar 1st, 2011 at 11:05pm:
60% of Australians identify problems with muslims

Quote:
Almost 60% worried by Muslim immigration
65% - no to religious discrimination
27% - pollies "genuine concern for future"
NEARLY 60 per cent of Australian voters are worried about Muslim immigration, an opinion survey today has reported.

But more voters, 65 per cent, believe migrants should not be discriminated against for their religion.

The polling by Essential Research taken over the past seven days has confirmed that Islamic immigration is perceived by many voters as a central political issue.

But the survey also found many of those more concerned were basing their views on incorrect information.

A clear majority, 61 per cent, who believe some politicians raise issues of race and religion to generate more votes. Just 27 per cent said those politicians were genuinely concerned about Australia's future.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/essential-research-poll-finds-almost-60-per-cent-of-aussies-worry-about-muslim-immigration/story-e6frfkvr-1226013688143#ixzz1FLug78bk

That's extremely-selective reporting of the Essential research - for a fuller picture see: -

http://www.essentialmedia.com.au/essential-report/

Quote:
Concern about Muslims (pre information)

Q. Are you concerned about the number of Muslim people in Australia?
     Total      Vote Labor      Vote Lib/Nat      Vote Greens
Total concerned      57%      50%      69%      32%
Total not concerned      38%      46%      28%      68%
Very Concerned      28%      21%      37%      12%
Somewhat concerned      29%      29%      32%      20%
Not very concerned      21%      23%      19%      27%
Not at all concerned      17%      23%      9%      41%
Don’t know/Refused      5%      4%      2%      -

57% were very or somewhat concerned about the number of Muslim people in Australia while 38% were not very or not at all concerned. Concern is higher among Liberal/National voters (69%) and lower among Greens voters (32%).  72% of people aged 55+ say they are concerned.

Level of concern is related to perceptions of the number of Muslim people in Australia. The table below shows that those who think there are higher numbers of Muslims in Australia are much more likely to be concerned.

Estimated % Muslims in Australia
     Total      1-2%      3-5%      6-10%      Over 10%
Total concerned      57%      44%      52%      68%      79%
Total not concerned      38%

Quote:
Muslims in Australia

Q. What percentage of Australian residents do you think are Muslim?

Total      Vote Labor      Vote Lib/Nat      Vote Greens
1%      6%      6%      7%      8%
2%      11%      10%      14%      9%
3-5%      26%      26%      25%      37%
6-10%      20%      19%      22%      18%
More than 10%      19%      20%      19%      17%
Don’t know      18%      20%      13%      11%

17% think that Muslims make up 1-2% of Australia’s population, 26% think they make up 3-5% and 39% think it is over 5%. The actual figure is 1.7% – meaning 65% have over-estimated the number of Muslims in Australia.

There were only minor differences between age, gender and voter groups.

There are several additional relevant tables on the Essential site - but they're not transferring neatly in the C&P and I'm too tired to bother to fiddle with converting screen prints and uploading them at this hour...

« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2011 at 11:13pm by Equitist »  

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

stryder
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2011 at 11:08pm

Quote:
Essential Research found that the more people overestimated the number of Muslims in Australia, the more they were concerned by their presence.

Some 65 per cent of voters said Muslims made up more than two per cent of the population, when the actual proportion is 1.7 per cent.

Before being told that fact, 57 per cent said they were concerned about the number of Muslims here, and the same proportion said Islam was the fastest growing religion in Australia.

Some 38 per cent said they were not concerned.

Voters were then told Muslims made up 1.7 per cent of the population and that the fastest growing religions were Hinduism and Buddhism followed by Islam.

After that information, the proportion of concerned voters dropped slightly to 50 per cent.

A majority of voters, 57 per cent, said multiculturalism had been positive for Australia and 29 per cent said it had been totally negative.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/essential-research-poll-finds-almost-60-per-cent-of-aussies-worry-about-muslim-immigration/story-e6frfkvr-1226013688143#ixzz1FLvSCF5l

Well what do you think ??

That there is a problem with muslims settling in Australia who have deep anti western or anti jewish feelings, or is the problem US, that we havent been welcoming enough as some islamic apologists and leftist would like us to think ?????

OVER TO YOU.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2011 at 11:16pm

stryder wrote on Mar 1st, 2011 at 11:08pm:
Quote:
Essential Research found that the more people overestimated the number of Muslims in Australia, the more they were concerned by their presence.

Some 65 per cent of voters said Muslims made up more than two per cent of the population, when the actual proportion is 1.7 per cent.

Before being told that fact, 57 per cent said they were concerned about the number of Muslims here, and the same proportion said Islam was the fastest growing religion in Australia.

Some 38 per cent said they were not concerned.

Voters were then told Muslims made up 1.7 per cent of the population and that the fastest growing religions were Hinduism and Buddhism followed by Islam.

After that information, the proportion of concerned voters dropped slightly to 50 per cent.

A majority of voters, 57 per cent, said multiculturalism had been positive for Australia and 29 per cent said it had been totally negative.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/essential-research-poll-finds-almost-60-per-cent-of-aussies-worry-about-muslim-immigration/story-e6frfkvr-1226013688143#ixzz1FLvSCF5l

Well what do you think ??

That there is a problem with muslims settling in Australia who have deep anti western or anti jewish feelings, or is the problem US, that we havent been welcoming enough as some islamic apologists and leftist would like us to think ?????

OVER TO YOU.

I suggest that you re-read the information you've just posted - and then get back to us...

Not that I expect you to get it that it is the misleading and demonising propaganda that is creating the problem - since you're a serial offender yourself...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

stryder
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2011 at 11:20pm

Quote:
There are several additional relevant tables on the Essential site - but they're not transferring neatly in the C&P and I'm too tired to bother to fiddle with converting screen prints and uploading them at this hour...

Grin Grin Grin

Well if some of these muslims read your posts, Equitist.

They would be lucky that ATHEISTS like you who are condemned as infidels anyway under the spotlight of Islam would feel lucky lucky to have such supporters like you who drop there IQ and reason to think there isnt a problem with Islam,

IP Logged

stryder
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2011 at 11:30pm

Quote:
Not that I expect you to get it that it is the misleading and demonising propaganda that is creating the problem - since you're a serial offender yourself...

Oh Really, so what is it Equitist ?? your willing to call me racist, even if i wanna honest debate like MANY do on this entire issue with reason ???

or will you play the POLITICALLY CORRECT fool as always are, Equitist.

And shout, RACISM, RACISM, BIGOT, BIGOT ?????

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 6:25am

I'm sure when Italians came here over 99% of the population was concerned about them. In fact if I remember correctly there was mass mob violence against them and some were lynched...

Thank God some of our fellow Aussies have actually become educated and woken up to the ignorance our forefathers were steeped in, and it's only 60% now with the latest demonised arrivals.

But you're always going to get some ignorant hicks who can't drag themselves out of it I guess, sad but true.

This is more a damning indictment of how gullible and brainwashed some of us are. The fact 27% actually believe politicians have a genuine concern for the country, rather than just for their own political hide, is evidence enough.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 7:48am

abu_rashid wrote on Mar 2nd, 2011 at 6:25am:
I'm sure when Italians came here over 99% of the population was concerned about them. In fact if I remember correctly there was mass mob violence against them and some were lynched...

You remember wrong, never happened; try not to make Australians any more racist than they really are too support your dubious arguments.

IP Logged

Lestat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 7:52am

BigOl64 wrote on Mar 2nd, 2011 at 7:48am:

You remember wrong, never happened; try not to make Australians any more racist than they really are too support your dubious arguments.

Actually it did happen, but you wouldn't know anyway. You were probably still living in that other country you came from.

sheesh, these Johnny come lately's that think they know it all. Wink

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #9 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 7:57am

Lestat wrote on Mar 2nd, 2011 at 7:52am:

Actually it did happen, but you wouldn't know anyway. You were probably still living in that other country you came from.

Got any evidence with that horsesh1t statement there porky?

What country do you think Im from and when do you think I came here?

IP Logged

Lestat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 8:01am

BigOl64 wrote on Mar 2nd, 2011 at 7:57am:

hehe..wow. Porky, Thats a good one...you better write it down so you don't forget it.

Where you came from? When? Does it really matter. Your a migrant, thats all that really matters.

You flew here, I grew here. Bit rich you telling us true aussies what happened here and when.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #11 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 8:10am

Lestat wrote on Mar 2nd, 2011 at 8:01am:
BigOl64 wrote on Mar 2nd, 2011 at 7:57am:

hehe..wow. Porky, Thats a good one...you better write it down so you don't forget it.

Where you came from? When? Does it really matter. Your a migrant, thats all that really matters.

You flew here, I grew here. Bit rich you telling us true aussies what happened here and when.

So you got nothing but lies to support your statement, about what I expected .

You do realise you look like an ignorant racist with those statements, don't you, porky?

Keep up the good work, you're a intellectual giant among your people.  Grin

IP Logged

Lestat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 8:18am

BigOl64 wrote on Mar 2nd, 2011 at 8:10am:

What am I lieing about. That your a migrant. You told us that remember.

You do realise you look like an ignorant racist with those statements, don't you, porky?

lol...oh the irony.

You should look in the mirror sometime.

Keep up the good work, you're a intellectual giant among your people.  Grin

Now now...thats not a nice thing to say about Australians. If you don't like how we Australian act then p(ss off back to your own country.

Go on...what are you waiting for? Chop chop...of you go now.

Cheesy:D

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #13 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 8:25am

Lestat wrote on Mar 2nd, 2011 at 8:18am:

What am I lieing about. That your a migrant. You told us that remember.

Lieing about Australians 'lynching' italian immigrants, not about my immigration status you friggen dill. Might hafta go back a few posts every now and again, porky.

My god you are stupid.  Grin

IP Logged

Lestat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 8:39am

lol, me stupid? Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment.

Anyways, perhaps I can educate you...you ignorant migrant. hehe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Italianism

"In Australia, anti-Italian riots occurred on numerous occasions since Italian immigrants, or "wogs" (an English derogatory term for foreigners, not slang so much as an archaism, once often applied in Australia to Southern Europeans), first began arriving to the country in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Many Australians viewed the Italian immigrants as "immoral", "low", and "dirty".[15]"

What was that about lying? Though I'm not surprised, that an migrant such as yourself doesn't know much about Australian history.

More reason why you should p(ss off back to where you came from.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print