Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Put A New Tax On Homes- Say The CEOs (Read 3665 times)
Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Re: Put A New Tax On Homes- Say The CEOs
Reply #15 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:09pm

The politics of envy - as epitomised by Thy Nemesis.

Why have you got such a problem with people who have achieved?

I look up to them and admire them.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #16 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:13pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:09pm:

Notwithstanding that I've probably incurred more CGT on more residential investment properties than you ever have, I'm surprised that you'd support CGT on the 'family home'/'principal place of residence'!?

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #17 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:17pm

Equitist wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:13pm:
Andrei.Hicks wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:09pm:

Notwithstanding that I've probably incurred more CGT on more residential investment properties than you ever have, I'm surprised that you'd support CGT on the 'family home'/'principal place of residence'!?

I didn't say I did.

I just have an issue that you seem to have an inherent dislike for people in exec management positions no matter what the company or what they have done.

I find such people to be admired.

I was only reading the story of the new CFO of Ford Motor Co last week in this month's Accounting magazine - he now earns US$7m per year.
He has lived with his family in 6 different countries in his progression up the ladder and put it many hours.
Japan, to South Africa, to Eastern Europe, to the USA - what a tribute to hard work.

I am sure you find this not admirable for reasons of pure envy.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #18 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:22pm

Andrei .. what is your opinion of this proposed new tax?

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:25pm

There has been an extraordinary rise in executive salaries in Australia over the past 10 years with a widening gap between what CEOs personally earn and what they choose to pay their employees.

The ACTU’s Executive PayWatch highlights the blatant hypocrisy of big business executives in pushing for industrial relations deregulation that would cut the pay, conditions and rights of Australian workers.  Sad

A tale of greed and inequality
After a short period of restraint in 2008-9, executive pay has resumed the upward trajectory seen in the years leading to the Global Financial Crisis, a period in which the obscene levels of incentives and bonuses for company executives fuelled unsustainable business practices that resulted in the loss of jobs and shareholder wealth.   Sad

The average total remuneration of a chief executive of a top 50 company listed on the Australian Securities Exchange in 2010 is $6.4 million – or almost 100 times that of the average worker.   Shocked   

Australians are rightly outraged at the excesses of the business community before the Global Financial Crisis. Ridiculously high salaries and unwarranted bonuses contributed to the financial meltdown by encouraging executives to take risks in pursuit of short-term profits.

Millions of working people around the world are now paying the price for this unethical business behaviour through joblessness, higher taxes and reduced public services. Although Australia has been spared the worst of the financial crisis, there is no room for complacency. Much more needs to be done to strengthen our economy to ensure there is no repeat of the GFC and to achieve a more equal and just Australia.

We need stronger curbs on executive salaries and measures to force businesses to look to the long term sustainability of the company and to serve the interests of the whole Australian community, not just their shareholders. We need fairer taxation and an end to the rorts and loopholes benefitting high income earners.   Angry

And we need to strengthen the rights of Australian workers and ensure employees are able to bargain collectively for a decent share of the nation’s wealth.”   Wink

Key facts

* The average total remuneration of a chief executive of a top 50 company listed on the Australian Securities Exchange in 2010 is $6.4 million. The average CEO’s total pay packet is now worth almost 100 times that of the average worker.
    * Executive pay rose by an average of over $940,000 over the past year - the equivalent of an extra $18,000 a week, while the annual wage for a full-time worker rose by just $3200, or $62 a week.
    * Since 2001, the base pay for executives has risen by 130%, while average weekly earnings have risen by 52%. Inflation over the same period has been 28.6%.
    * Across the economy, profits soared by 27.5% in 2009-10 financial year. Gross operating profits in mining have risen by 60.6%, while wages grew by just 3.8%. Construction profits rose by 55.5%, but wages by just 2.9%. And profits in the information, media and telecommunications sector grew by 10% - five times wages.
    * Company profits as a share of national income are now back to the record levels of 2008, while the wages share is the lowest since 1964.

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #20 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:27pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:22pm:

I think Australia has far too many taxes already Lisa.
At the moment we pay 40% tax on a lot of our earnings, FBT, GST, stamp duty, Luxury car tax, tax on our super, now a bloody levy and now allegedly a tax on fixing the world....

The idea from the CEOs has merit, but it needs to be in tandem with a reduction of tax elsewhere.
It's all well and good suggesting this to cool house prices - which is a good thing - but we need to address tax elsewhere.

Don't forget we get slugged with $70,000+ in stamp duty on a house purchase by a state government that does NOTHING in the transaction.

So if bring this in - reduce stamp duty, reduce direct tax - one of these has to be an option.

It was only til I moved to here that I realize just how much I was taxed in Australia compared to the USA.

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #21 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:30pm

Imcrook - people are paid their market value.

Remember a CEO is responsible for the whole company - if it fails he fails, if the results are poor, then it is he and the CFO that has to address the shareholder and analysts and take responsibility.

An everyday worker has none of this, he can clock in, clock out and go home.

In Exec management we work around the clock. I am only on the lower tier of the ladder (though I am now officially a Vice President woo hoo) - and I work solidly well into the early hours often - with requests and demands.

It's part and parcel. I get reasonably well paid as a result, but I'm paid my market rate (roughly $230k - $260k).

These guys have 10 times my responsibility and as a result are paid 10 times as much.

I think the system works well in my honest opinion.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #22 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:33pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:27pm:
Lisa Jones wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:22pm:

I think Australia has far too many taxes already Lisa.
At the moment we pay 40% tax on a lot of our earnings, FBT, GST, stamp duty, Luxury car tax, tax on our super, now a bloody levy and now allegedly a tax on fixing the world....

The idea from the CEOs has merit, but it needs to be in tandem with a reduction of tax elsewhere.
It's all well and good suggesting this to cool house prices - which is a good thing - but we need to address tax elsewhere.

Don't forget we get slugged with $70,000+ in stamp duty on a house purchase by a state government that does NOTHING in the transaction.

So if bring this in - reduce stamp duty, reduce direct tax - one of these has to be an option.

It was only til I moved to here that I realize just how much I was taxed in Australia compared to the USA.

Given I dabble in property ( for a living ) .. I would have to say that your answer is more or less spot on.

I don't believe the suggestion raised by these CEO's has any merit though. And your suggestion (re introducing this new tax along with a reduction in other taxes) .. is only going to create more hassles/uncertainty IMO.

I think the system should remain as is.
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:38pm by Lisa Jones »  

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #23 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:40pm

After the Henry tax review last year, the government ruled out changes to capital gains tax.

- from the OP

Ahh good! As I stated earlier .. leave things as they are.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:41pm

Then they should be paid 10 times as much.  Not 100 times as much.  Sad

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #25 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:45pm

Quote:
Then they should be paid 10 times as much.  Not 100 times as much.  Sad  

I find Imcrook that the average CEO is paid about 15 times the amount I am (roughly $3m or so in base salary).

They'd have about 15 times the level of responsibility I have.

The market decides salaries. Whilst the rem committees technically do, they have to give a figure of market rate or they don't get the candidate.

I was looking on the market last year and out of 10 jobs I like they all paid within $5k of each other. Why? Because that's my market rate.

The market always decides the salary and that should always be the case.

Why? Because we have nothing better.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:50pm

As the unions say, it should be capped at 10 time the average full time workers wage.  No more than about $450,000.  Anymore than that is greed.   Sad

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #27 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:51pm

Quote:
As the unions say, it should be capped at 10 time the average full time workers wage.  No more than about $450,000.  Anymore than that is greed.   Sad

Grin  Grin  Grin

My boss (who isn't even on the Exec Committee) earned $450k (+450k bonus).

You're mad man, middle management earn that - not execs!!

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:55pm

As I said before, the unions say, it should be capped at 10 times the average full time workers wage.  I am afraid to say I agree with the unions.   Smiley

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #29 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:58pm

Quote:
As I said before, the unions say, it should be capped at 10 times the average full time workers wage.  I am afraid to say I agree with the unions.   Smiley    

Ok well I dont agree with the unions.

I hate to tell you mate, but its my position that is real and not yours.
Plus we've capped the unions power so there is little they can do anymore.
(Thank God)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print