Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Harvey Norman In A First Half Profit Slump. (Read 1797 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Harvey Norman In A First Half Profit Slump.
Feb 25th, 2011 at 7:21pm

Harvey Norman Holdings has reported a slump in first-half net profit, down 17 per cent, reflecting price declines, the strong Australian dollar and the impact of wet weather on sales.

Harvey Norman posted a net profit of $131.67 million for the six months to December 31, down from $158.86 million in the first half of the prior financial year.

Stock fell 1 cent to $3.01 in morning trade but managed to mark a gain of 2 cents to $3.04 shortly after.

Company owned sales revenue was up 12 per cent at $804.13 million for the half year.

‘‘Our profit was down as a result of price deflation in key categories driven by the strong Australian dollar, the challenging retail environment and also the extreme wet weather on the east coast of Australia that affected sales of seasonal products,’’ chairman Gerry Harvey said in a statement.

Mr Harvey said significant price deflation for televisions and laptop computers had a negative impact on the first-half result.

In addition, consumer confidence had declined due to successive interest rate increases, he said.

The group’s underlying profit also fell, down 16.5 per cent at $198.61 million.

Mr Harvey said the group’s purchase of 28 Clive Peeters and Rick Hart stores from receivers for $55 million in July 2010 had not performed as expected.   Cry

The businesses contributed sales revenue of $124.77 million and made a before tax loss of $20.67 million, due to investment and restructuring costs to turn the businesses around.

‘‘This was below management’s expectations, highlighting the impact of the damage to the brands prior to acquisition and the lead-time for customer acceptance and confidence in the reinvigorated business under Harvey Normans stewardship,’’ Mr Harvey said.

Heavy discounting was required to sell-off old inventory, compounded by the difficult trading conditions experienced by all retailers, he said.

Harvey Norman has declared an interim dividend of six cents per share, fully franked, down 1 cent from the prior comparable first half.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Harvey Norman In A First Half Profit Slump.
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 7:32pm

of course he'll probably be blaming online sellers for that result Smiley LOL

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 6:52am

Sir lastnail wrote on Feb 25th, 2011 at 7:32pm:

I kn ew that would put a smile on your face rusty...look at the big LOL..makes sense to someone like you..

for someone who would never shop there I am surprised why it bothers you that he is stilll in business..

IP Logged

bridonta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 7:53am

just wait when the food , petrol, energy (especially the carbon taxes are introduced) are higher  .. then probably he will have to make a loss .

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 7:58am

bridonta wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 7:53am:
just wait when the food , petrol, energy (especially the carbon taxes are introduced) are higher  .. then probably he will have to make a loss .

yippee that will make rustys day!

IP Logged

mavisdavis
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 8:36am

cods wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 7:58am:
just wait when the food , petrol, energy (especially the carbon taxes are introduced) are higher  .. then probably he will have to make a loss .

I don`t think much of Jerry Harvey, but at least he`s doing something with his life, and I have no reason to believe that he`s low enough to get off on the misfortunes of others.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 8:40am

mavisdavis wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 8:36am:

I don`t think much of Jerry Harvey, but at least he`s doing something with his life, and I have no reason to believe that he`s low enough to get off on the misfortunes of others.

if you are talking about rusty then you dont know rusty.

and I cant think why Gerry Harvey would get off on others misfortune

IP Logged

mavisdavis
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 8:56am

cods wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 8:40am:

I thought i made it clear that I was talking about rusty, and his penchant for envy and enjoying the pain of others.  I think he would cry if he was treated as he treats others.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 9:49am

mavisdavis wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 8:56am:

I thought i made it clear that I was talking about rusty, and his penchant for envy and enjoying the pain of others.  I think he would cry if he was treated as he treats others.

well thats good to know.. to see some getting pleasure out of others misfortune makes a mockery of our supposed Fair Go  culture!

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 10:02am

Quote:
Harvey Norman Holdings has reported a slump in first-half net profit, down 17 per cent, reflecting price declines, the strong Australian dollar and the impact of wet weather on sales.

Harvey Norman posted a net profit of $131.67 million for the six months to December 31, down from $158.86 million in the first half of the prior financial year.

Stock fell 1 cent to $3.01 in morning trade but managed to mark a gain of 2 cents to $3.04 shortly after.

Company owned sales revenue was up 12 per cent at $804.13 million for the half year.

‘‘Our profit was down as a result of price deflation in key categories driven by the strong Australian dollar, the challenging retail environment and also the extreme wet weather on the east coast of Australia that affected sales of seasonal products,’’ chairman Gerry Harvey said in a statement.

Mr Harvey said significant price deflation for televisions and laptop computers had a negative impact on the first-half result.

In addition, consumer confidence had declined due to successive interest rate increases, he said.

The group’s underlying profit also fell, down 16.5 per cent at $198.61 million.

Mr Harvey said the group’s purchase of 28 Clive Peeters and Rick Hart stores from receivers for $55 million in July 2010 had not performed as expected.   Cry

The businesses contributed sales revenue of $124.77 million and made a before tax loss of $20.67 million, due to investment and restructuring costs to turn the businesses around.

‘‘This was below management’s expectations, highlighting the impact of the damage to the brands prior to acquisition and the lead-time for customer acceptance and confidence in the reinvigorated business under Harvey Normans stewardship,’’ Mr Harvey said.

Heavy discounting was required to sell-off old inventory, compounded by the difficult trading conditions experienced by all retailers, he said.

Harvey Norman has declared an interim dividend of six cents per share, fully franked, down 1 cent from the prior comparable first half.

So, peoples, which of those contributing factors were not the much-touted 'market forces' that are worshiped by so many in the modern world!?

A significant and interesting factor is the disappointing results of an acquisition - by a large predator (Harvey Norman) of the stores of two liquidated smaller competitors (Clive Peeters and Rick Hart) - but even this was a to do with 'competitive market forces'...

Perhaps fickle 'market forces' aren't the be all and end all - even for Gerry Harvey, eh!?

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 10:07am

the challenging retail environment

- extracted from the OP

There's your REAL reason .. consumers aren't stupid .. they DO shop around and if they can get a better deal elsewhere they will grab it.

A quick word re product quality .. products today are not made to last .. irrespective of the label and rhetoric .. and consumers know that whatever they buy will probably be disposed of within 1 - 5 yrs.

=====> all the more reason why consumers want the best deal. Even when they know they've secured a great deal .. the money they've spent on a product will end up in the rubbish sooner than later.
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2011 at 1:37pm by Lisa Jones »  

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 11:27am

cods wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 6:52am:
Sir lastnail wrote on Feb 25th, 2011 at 7:32pm:

I kn ew that would put a smile on your face rusty...look at the big LOL..makes sense to someone like you..

for someone who would never shop there I am surprised why it bothers you that he is stilll in business..

when the share holders money runs out and he has to compete on a level playing field then see how long he lasts selling his chinese made junk that everyone else is selling Wink

just remember that this was the same dude that took great pride in running many small businesses out of town !!

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 11:33am

just wait when the food , petrol, energy (especially the carbon taxes are introduced) are higher  .. then probably he will have to make a loss .

you are an ignoramus codsballs.

some feedback on Gerry from various websites.

Gerry Harvey knows full well removing the threshold won't slow internet sales. But what the "coalition" is really after is to make it inconvenient to buy on the web. Adding GST to imported goods under $1000, will add significant delays to delivery, custom declarations will need to be filled out, and a processing fee charged. Could be as high as $65. This is what they're really after.

In the late 1990s Gerry was fined for sending a letter to other retailers saying they should all stick together and not deal with any suppliers who sell direct on the internet. This was generated by Compaq establishing a direct internet site. 2 months before the GST he sent a letter to all suppliers which included that they would have to agree to a hike in his rebate from 5% to 15% or loose trading with Harvey Normans, With that he took the savings from the GST away from the consumers.

I am an accountant for some of Gerry's 'victims' who bought into his franchises. Gerry's formula of ridiculous rents and ridiculous franchise fees means that they only make decent money when money is flowing. When interest rates rise - sales are hit - BUT the rent and franchise fees don't change! If a franchiser goes under- the franchise is sold to the next sucker.

This whole charade is Gerry shifting the blame to someone other than his flawed model which bankrupts people when sales drop.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 11:36am

Lisa Jones wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 10:07am:
the challenging retail environment

- extracted from the OP

There's your REAL reason .. consumer's aren't stupid .. they shop around and if they can get a better deal elsewhere they will grab it.

A quick word re product quality .. products today are not made to last .. irrespective of the label and rhetoric .. and consumers know that whatever they buy will probably be disposed of within 1 - 5 yrs.

=====> all the more reason why consumers want the best deal. Even then they know they've secured a great deal .. the money they've spent on a product will end up in the rubbish sooner than later.

that's very naughty of you !! Only Gerry is allowed to go shopping around in China for the best deals Wink LOL

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 11:45am

mavisdavis wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 8:56am:

I thought i made it clear that I was talking about rusty, and his penchant for envy and enjoying the pain of others.  I think he would cry if he was treated as he treats others.

I wonder if you were singing the same tune when Pacific Brands sent 2000 local jobs over to china and there was old Gerry on 60 minutes defending the toe cutter who was behind it all Sad

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/stories/788322/the-boss

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print