Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
All Terrorists are Muslims… (Read 30082 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: All Terrorists are Muslims…
Reply #60 - Apr 17th, 2011 at 8:20am

Mattyfisk wrote on Apr 15th, 2011 at 4:22pm:
Yadda, you fit every DSMIV criteria for Islamophobia, including:

1. Distorted affect - feelings of being persecuted or unnecessarily targeted by Muslims
2. Obsessive thinking - an inability to focus on other areas or subjects not relating to Muslims
3. Absolutist thinking - a belief that Muslims can only act a certain way and a perception that this is inherent to their nature  
4. Catestrophic thinking - sees the worst in all situations involving Muslims and/or a belief a that Muslims are behind all disasters or setbacks
5. Delusions of grandiosity and/or persecution - a belief that Muslims are inherently inferior and/or a belief that the subject is continually being persecuted by Muslims
6. Unrealistic perception of others - a belief that all opponents are Muslim or agents of Islam
7. Self justification of pathology - a belief that Islamophobia is normal/natural and that all people should hate Muslims

Note the last point - that Islamophobia is perceived to be a normal state of mind. This self justification protects the ego from coming to terms with the subject's unbalanced state.

The DSMIV recommends Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and states that SSRI anti-depressive medication has proved clinically beneficial in 13% of cases, but only when used in conjuction with psychotherapy.

Someone posted a similar sounding set of criteria for Islamic extremism a while back. It reminded me of someone here.

abu_rashid wrote on Apr 16th, 2011 at 12:39pm:
Quote:
By it's very definition

Which definition?

Let me guess, the one concocted by a state that routinely strikes fear & terror into the hearts of civilians by bombing them into oblivion? How convenient... Now they wouldn't have any agenda in fabricating a definition that puts them beyond the pale of being defined as terrorists would they?

Western governments don't write dictionaries Abu.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #61 - Apr 17th, 2011 at 12:21pm

So fd, what's the motive do you think behind those who define terrorism as acts committed by non-state actors?

Are the victims of states' horrific violence not terrorised? Clearly there's an agenda to concoct a word that can apply to the enemies of countries like the U.S, whilst not applying to the U.S herself, when if we examine their actions objectively, we find the actions of the U.S etc. to be far more terrorising.

It's a sham. And those who jump on its bandwagon will eventually lose all credibility.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #62 - Apr 17th, 2011 at 12:33pm

Credibility, is a truly beautiful word, imo.

Dictionary;
credible = = able to be believed; convincing.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

hawil
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Apr 17th, 2011 at 1:55pm

If one reads the book "MASTERS OF WAR"
Militarism and Blowback in the Erea of American Empire, edited by Carl Boggs, maybe this would open the eyes of who the real terrorists are.
I was surprised that this book was allowed to be brought to the attention of the people, although I,am sure, not many would read it.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #64 - Apr 17th, 2011 at 2:48pm

Quote:
So fd, what's the motive do you think behind those who define terrorism as acts committed by non-state actors?

Communication. It helps in the conveyance of ideas if words have actual and stable meanings. Hence, people resist the temptation to redefine terrorism to include conventional warfare.

Quote:
Clearly there's an agenda to concoct a word that can apply to the enemies of countries like the U.S, whilst not applying to the U.S herself

No their isn't. The use of the word terrorism is not intended to deny the reality of conventional warfare, nor does it achieve this in practice. Your stance on this issue seems to me as silly as complaining that the word rape does not include murder in it's meaning and must therefor have been concocted by murderers to hide their acts. No-one is denying the reality of the two wars we are currently engaged in and there is robust public debate on both of them. Your focus on the semantics kind of trivialises both terrorism and conventional war.

Quote:
when if we examine their actions objectively, we find the actions of the U.S etc. to be far more terrorising.

It sounds like a novice's attempt at propaganda. We get the same tripe from western hippies who are obviously upset at the skill with which the American government has used the word terrorism. They seem to think that all that is required to outmanouvre the US government on this front is to redefine terrorism. You might as well try to win people over by calling Osama a freedom fighter.

Quote:
It's a sham. And those who jump on its bandwagon will eventually lose all credibility.

There is no bandwagon Abu. Words have meaning. It's as simple as that.

IP Logged

Lestat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 9:30am

ter·ror·ism   /ˈtɛrəˌrɪzəm/  Show Spelled
[ter-uh-riz-uhm]  Show IPA

–noun
1. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.
2. the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.
3. a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terrorism

So as you can see, by its 'definition' as gizmo put it, terrorism can (and is) committed by governments and armies, more often then not.

Abu...its just that these dimwits get all there information from Today Tonight and A Current Affair, they are incapable of actually having a thought of their own.

It is for this reason they are no threat...just mindless drones.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #66 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 6:54pm

Some interesting notes on the difficulty of agreeing on a definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism#Definition

While pinning it down exactly is not easy, there is general agreement on what the term does not cover:

Quote:
Walter Laqueur, of the Center for Strategic and International Studies, noted that "the only general characteristic of terrorism generally agreed upon is that terrorism involves violence and the threat of violence".[citation needed] This criterion alone does not produce, however, a useful definition, since it includes many violent acts not usually considered terrorism: war, riot, organized crime, or even a simple assault.

Another common theme is the focus on maximising psychological impact. In contrast. in conventional war the strategy is usually to confine the psychological impact to the active theatre of war.

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 7:32pm

"It was a skyblue day in December sixty-nine... A skyblue plymouth with the sun in its tailfins, sped past young rice fields and old rubber trees, on its way to Cochin. Further east, in a small country with similar landscape, (jungles, rivers, rice-fields, communists), enough bombs were being dropped to cover all of it in six inches of steel. Here, however, it was peacetime and the family in the plymouth travelled without fear or forboding." - Arundhati Roy (The god of small things)

"It is in the shelter of each other that the people live" - Irish Proverb

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #68 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 7:43pm

fd,

Quote:
Western governments don't write dictionaries Abu.

Quote:

Quote:
Walter Laqueur, of the Center for Strategic and International Studies, noted that...

Quote:
The Center for Strategic and International Studies is a bipartisan Washington, D.C., foreign policy think tank

So in summary...

Western governments supposedly don't write dictionaries (this may be true), but it's irrelevant, since dictionary definitions aren't always agreed upon, instead let us look to how a Western government think tank defines it instead and run with that.

Do you even know what you're writing here fd?

Cos it really doesn't seem like it.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #69 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 7:47pm

Abu, perhaps you would like to respond to the content rather than the author?

IP Logged

Lestat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 9:52am

freediver wrote on Apr 18th, 2011 at 6:54pm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism#Definition

While pinning it down exactly is not easy, there is general agreement on what the term does not cover:

Quote:
Walter Laqueur, of the Center for Strategic and International Studies, noted that "the only general characteristic of terrorism generally agreed upon is that terrorism involves violence and the threat of violence".[citation needed] This criterion alone does not produce, however, a useful definition, since it includes many violent acts not usually considered terrorism: war, riot, organized crime, or even a simple assault.

Another common theme is the focus on maximising psychological impact. In contrast. in conventional war the strategy is usually to confine the psychological impact to the active theatre of war.

So the Shock And Awe campaign was terrorism...as  its focus was to maximise the psychological impact on Saddam and the Iraqi people. The US military at the time admitted this was so, when asked by the media about the goals of Shock and Awe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_and_awe

"attempting "to affect the will, perception, and understanding of the adversary to fit or respond to our strategic policy ends through imposing a regime of Shock and Awe"

Therefore. the US govenment are terrorists.

And S11 was not a terrorist attatck, as we have been told time and time again that Osama Bin Laden had declared war on the US, shortly before the attacks. Given that you've already stated that war cannot be terrorism, then S11 was not a terrorist attack.

Gee...thanks for clearing that up FD.  Roll Eyes

Walter Laqueur should be honest...according to the US and mindless drones such as yourself, terrorism has nothing to do with the act, and more to do with the perpertrator.

Hence, when Israeli snipers shoot Palestinian children in the head whilst sitting in class, this is war, and not terrorism.

Yet when Hamas defend their people and homes against the very same Israeli's that terrorise and kill thier people, and families....thats terrorism.

Israel dropping hundreds of bombs killing thousands in Lebenon And Gaza - the majority of these in civilian areas - this is war.

Hamas/Hezbollah firing hundreds of rockets at Israel, also at civilian areas, during the same conflict, killing only a handful....thats terrorism.

Only a blind person wouldn't notice they double standards and hypocricy (blinded by ignorance and bigotry more often then not...sound familiar FD?)

And you wonder why we muslims don't take you and your opinions seriously.
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2011 at 9:58am by Lestat »  

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #71 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 12:54pm

Lestat wrote on Apr 19th, 2011 at 9:52am:

"attempting "to affect the will, perception, and understanding of the adversary to fit or respond to our strategic policy ends through imposing a regime of Shock and Awe"

Therefore. the US govenment are terrorists.

IMO, your assessment is essentially correct.

IMO, people like G'Dubya, Blair, and Howard, all chose to justify what were essentially criminal acts.

IMO, the invasion of Iraq [mkII], was an unjustified criminal act.

Lestat wrote on Apr 19th, 2011 at 9:52am:

And you wonder why we muslims don't take you and your opinions seriously.

Moslems don't take the opinions of non-moslems seriously, because moslems are not reasonable people.

e.g. #1,
Moslems believe that ISLAM gives moslems the right to murder their children. [i can provide ISLAMIC reff's]

e.g. #2,
Moslems believe that ISLAM gives moslems the right to regard non-moslems, as having the status of cattle [beasts].

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #72 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 6:30pm

Quote:
So the Shock And Awe campaign was terrorism...as  its focus was to maximise the psychological impact on Saddam and the Iraqi people.

No you got it backwards. The US went to some length to contain the psychological impact and reassure people around the world that the war is against terrorists, not Islam. They did not bomb Bagdad and say to the rest of the middle east 'watch out buggerers we are coming after you next'. While terrorism is defined by the use of terrorism, it does not mean that anything that scares people is terrorism.

Quote:
And S11 was not a terrorist attatck, as we have been told time and time again that Osama Bin Laden had declared war on the US

Anyone can declare a war. That does not make them a recognised nation state. Abu for example (the chief proponent of the 'America is a terrorist state BS) has gone to great lengths to argue that we were not justified in invading Afghanistan to get him and should have gotten permission from every tribal warlord between the coast and the caves before passing through on our way.

Quote:
Given that you've already stated that war cannot be terrorism, then S11 was not a terrorist attack.

Again, you oversimplify the definition then claim it's breadth to be the essence of the definition. I said that 'conventional war' is not terrorism.

Quote:
Walter Laqueur should be honest...according to the US and mindless drones such as yourself, terrorism has nothing to do with the act, and more to do with the perpertrator.

That is partly true. That is what the word means. I still can't figure out why you people get upset that you can't redefine it so as to equate GWB with Osama. It's like you have swallowed all the US propaganda about terrorism hook line and sinker and now you can't figure out how to complain about US foreign policy other than to insist they are terrorists. If GWB had declared war on hippies you lot would try to redefine hippy so GWB was one, rather than pointing out the absurdity of declaring war on hippies. Your infantile attempts to beat them at the PR game merely play into their campaign.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #73 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 7:36pm

Quote:
I still can't figure out why you people get upset that you can't redefine it so as to equate GWB with Osama

Who said anything about equating war-mongering dogs with freedom fighters?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #74 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 9:07pm

So Bush is not a terrorist?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print