Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WARNING- A Million Australian Jobs Are At Risk. (Read 750 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

WARNING- A Million Australian Jobs Are At Risk.
Feb 17th, 2011 at 7:46am

PRIME Minister Julia Gillard is under pressure to halt a flood of illegal Chinese imports amid warnings that up to a million jobs are at risk.  Shocked

Fresh divisions have emerged in Labor, with three powerful union leaders calling for tough "anti-dumping" laws to prevent China selling below-cost goods here.

Thousands of jobs have already been lost, with manufacturing firms struggling to compete against foreign companies selling a raft of products including steel, timber, paper, aluminium and glass.   Sad

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott has also jumped on the anti-China campaign, demanding a "fair go for Australian industries and jobs".

The debate over dumping is set to divide the Gillard Government.

Senior government sources admit there is "widespread anxiety" about the impact of cheap imports on local manufacturing.   Sad

Launching a public campaign yesterday, the Australian Workers Union, Australian Manufacturing Workers Union and Construction, Forestry and Mining Union called for an overhaul of anti-dumping laws.

"We shouldn't allow the Chinese Government to dictate how our economy is run," said AWU national secretary Paul Howes.

"I want political leaders in Canberra, not Beijing, to determine the way Australia should be run."

Cabinet will consider the issue in the lead-up to the May Budget.

Comments on this story

rc Posted at 7:35 AM Today

ad this is the prime minister that has just allowed N Z apples into australia that will cost australian jobs what a bloody joke this un elected leader by the people is

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: WARNING- A Million Australian Jobs Are At Risk.
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 7:58am

Is it a case now of to little to late?.  Years ago the unions warned people about going down the road of free trade.  They said we should have fair trade, not free trade.  And did anyone listen then?.  No they didn't.  And when did all this start to happen?.  It was under the Howard government.  Its a little late now though.  Oh well, I suppose no one can complain, when people line up at the centrelink office.   Sad

IP Logged

whatsforme
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 8:06am

<<Oh well, I suppose no one can complain, when people line up at the centrelink office.>>

Poor crook, it means he will just have to wait longer to hand his form in.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 8:09am

whatsforme wrote on Feb 17th, 2011 at 8:06am:
<<Oh well, I suppose no one can complain, when people line up at the centrelink office.>>

Poor crook, it means he will just have to wait longer to hand his form in.

and that probably is the ONLY change for him.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 8:12am

Your telling me, I just bought $15,000 worth of building supplies being mostly steel and it was a monza cheaper buying the imported steel over the Australian one, and whats even funnier is its our iron ore shipped over there to make it.

Makes you wonder how we can dig it out of the ground, put it on a boat, send it thousands upon thousands of kilometres away, have it turned into steel then shipped thousands upon thousands of kilometres back and its still cheaper. 

Because the Aussie companies making it here are ripping us off.

When I save $7k on the imported stuff, remind me again why I should buy the Australian made stuff thats exactly the same?

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

culldav
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 8:47am

I can see crook’s point of view, and most of the time we do buy Australian made stuff like cloths, food, white-goods and furniture. We also had to buy building supplies and brought the imported stuff which saved us $3000.

I think the price of manufacturing steel would have more to do with the wages in china verses the wages in Australia rather than Australia just ripping us off.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 9:46am

culldav wrote on Feb 17th, 2011 at 8:47am:
I can see crook’s point of view, and most of the time we do buy Australian made stuff like cloths, food, white-goods and furniture. We also had to buy building supplies and brought the imported stuff which saved us $3000.

I think the price of manufacturing steel would have more to do with the wages in china verses the wages in Australia rather than Australia just ripping us off.

a short time ago people like crook were raving on about how good it was for us to buy on line and skip the middle man like Myers or DJ... it look to me the only time it hurts the unions is when it affects them directly.. if they lose a million jobs look at all that union money not coming in any more..

verge I hope the quality of what you have bought stands up.. I have foundthing I have bought from Aldi for instance have not been up to scratch quality wise..I bought a cheap.[granted] stick gadget for blending soup and it went rusty. to be honest I am finding a lot of things made in China are a bit rubbish t/shirts go all out of shape,cotton underwear doesnt last as long. but looking for something that isnt made in China is a pain.

how do we make this country work if we buy everything from overseas..its fruit and veg next.

IP Logged

culldav
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 10:06am

Cods,

I know there is no white goods made in Australia anymore. Westinghouse/Electrolux use to have a plant in Orange NSW, but now their manufacturing is done over in Malaysia somewhere.  No electrical household appliance is made in Australia anymore.

Within 10 years, we will be a country that imports everything and exports only natural resources.  Already we are importing about 20% - 30% of food products.

IP Logged

bridonta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 12:15pm

just touring around .. from shopping to McDonald , KFC .. all jobs for Oz young people are now taken by foreigners . . that's how the game is .. in the hands of lib and lab

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print